• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeTeeCee

If you guys want to deflate your hype and read a incoherently written pile of crap, here you go: (the comments are typical GAF stuff too)

http://jezebel.com/henry-cavills-press-tour-for-batman-v-superman-has-been-1765323349

Io9 (also part of the Gawker network) followed that up with an article stating "The Only Scene Worth Watching In Zack Snyder's Sucker Punch Was One They Cut"

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-only-scene-worth-watching-in-zack-snyders-sucker-pu-1766173222

I honestly haven't seen Sucker Punch so I won't comment there, but the timing of the article shortly before BvS's embargo ends looks very telling. I'm not expecting a decent review from io9, though that's not a surprise as they've been incredibly critical of everything not MCU for the past few years, and there's only one writer left on that site who is any good.

Penguin

Am I reading this wrong

“Maybe the solution is to have more diversity in the members. But does that mean we are saying that to have more black academy members would result in more black nominations? Is that not racist itself?”

Sounds like he is saying the assumption that black folks would vote for black movies, in of itself is racist, not that there shouldn't be more diversity.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Keep those shitty articles away please, I barely got through it. Ugh.

a916

Keep those shitty articles away please, I barely got through it. Ugh.

Apologies... I was angered that something like that qualifies as integrity based reporting... guess anyone can get on their soap box and scream. Really sucks that anyone can have a platform nowadays and there is no editor to answer to.

Boke1879

Apologies... I was angered that something like that qualifies as integrity based reporting... guess anyone can get on their soap box and scream. Really sucks that anyone can have a platform nowadays and there is no editor to answer to.

Yea in this internet age anyone can say anything no matter how stupid. Twitter, blogs like that give those types a platform and it attracts the worst.

I'd knock those blogs, but, you know, there's an audience for that junk. Like the tabloid rags at the checkout line talking about the bat child. Must have a readership to stay in business.

Might have been posted already with how fast this thread goes but new clear look at WW.

1914490_416136921890061_7073948749553113718_n.jpg

I went back and forth on watching MoS ahead of BvS. Decided it'd hurt my excitement, as I'm not terribly fond of it. Maybe if BvS is great I'll catch it between viewings.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I went back and forth on watching MoS ahead of BvS. Decided it'd hurt my excitement, as I'm not terribly fond of it. Maybe if BvS is great I'll catch it between viewings.

Well, tbf that might temper your expectations. Possibly resulting in you enjoying the movie more than you would have? Keeping your excitement in check is never a bad thing.

The OT threads are a mess as expected. Thing is, people actually want it to fail. Which is just idiotic. More than that, even though they 'know for sure it's going to be a hot mess', there are still high expectations. Just good won't cut it for those people, it has to be amazing and even then I doubt they'll give credit that is deserved.

a916

Well, tbf that might temper your expectations. Possibly resulting in you enjoying the movie more than you would have? Keeping your excitement in check is never a bad thing.

The OT threads are a mess as expected. Thing is, people actually want it to fail. Which is just idiotic. More than that, even though they 'know for sure it's going to be a hot mess', there are still high expectations. Just good won't cut it for those people, it has to be amazing and even then I doubt they'll give credit that is deserved.

To be fair, people crap on DKR on GAF... and that's a critical darling along with a financial success.

When is the embargo up for tomorrow?

6PM PST

Boke1879

You see what the early impressions thread has turned into haha. but you're right. You have people saying it'll be a mess yet it's being "good" isn't good.

That's just people moving the goalposts and reinforcing their negative bias. The movie could turn out good and even review well, but if there is one thing to nitpick it'll be used forever as a reason for the movie being trash.

And while I do agree that early impressions are generally more positive what if people after they watch it during the official release come out with the same mindset and give the same impression? Are their opinions then invalid? Are they still wined and dined?

It's too late to watch it now ha.. With luck I'll have seen BvS in 12 hours.

On the reaction to BvS elsewhere, I don't mind the skepticism or closed-mindedness of the film. There are films where I'm of that opinion. What gets me is the sheer hate for Snyder as a person. Wouldn't call myself a fan of the guy, but dang, threads about the guy get mean. To where I'm questioning if it's about his filmography, or the guy did something heinous and I missed it.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
It's too late to watch it now ha.. With luck I'll have seen BvS in 12 hours.

On the reaction to BvS elsewhere, I don't mind the skepticism or closed-mindedness of the film. There are films where I'm of that opinion. What gets me is the sheer hate for Snyder as a person. Wouldn't call myself a fan of the guy, but dang, threads about the guy get mean. To where I'm questioning if it's about his filmography, or the guy did something heinous and I missed it.

12 hours? Goddamnit, I feel left behind :(

Yeah, someone called him a moron....damn. You'd think the guy burned down their house.

3N16MA

Banned
There was something similar in the Force Awakens thread and at the time it led people to believe that TFA would do quite well in China (it didn't), so I'd take these types of pre sales from China with a grain of salt.

TFA did well in China but not close to the crazy predictions some people had.

JTripper

I'm watching MoS now and it's not terrible, it could just do so many things better than it already does. During the first Smallville fight with Zod, Superman purposefully drags him through a gas station where innocents are after pulling him away from Kent farm. Like, why!? Just bring Zod to an empty field or desert to fight but he just continues to fight with no regard for the innocents around him in that fight except to save a soldier in a couple scenes. Even the military starts shooting at Zod and co. when there are clearly people still frantically running around.

Also, killing off Pa Kent through flashback was seriously a mistake. They handle it the best they could but the effect of Pa Kent on Clark could have been done so much better.

What I do think the film does interestingly is how Lois is introduced to Superman and her importance to the story as more than a damsel in distress. Her working with Jor-El and being requested to join Zod and Clark on the spacecraft was decent and I appreciate the effort to make her an active player in stopping Zod.

Firemind

TFA did well in China but not close to the crazy predictions some people had.
TFA did awful in China. I mean, Terminator Genysis did more than TFA. Star Wars just doesn't have as big of a cultural impact in Asia as in the West. Hopefully, BvS can do Furious 7 numbers.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I'm watching MoS now and it's not terrible, it could just do so many things better than it already does. During the first Smallville fight with Zod, Superman purposefully drags him through a gas station where innocents are after pulling him away from Kent farm. Like, why!? Just bring Zod to an empty field or desert to fight but he just continues to fight with no regard for the innocents around him in that fight except to save a soldier in a couple scenes. Even the military starts shooting at Zod and co. when there are clearly people still frantically running around.

Also, killing off Pa Kent through flashback was seriously a mistake. They handle it the best they could but the effect of Pa Kent on Clark could have been done so much better.

What I do think the film does interestingly is how Lois is introduced to Superman and her importance to the story as more than a damsel in distress. Her working with Jor-El and being requested to join Zod and Clark on the spacecraft was decent and I appreciate the effort to make her an active player in stopping Zod.

Yeah fair criticisms, Supes taking the fight from the farm to Smallville is really his fault for the deaths that occured there. Pa Kent dying the way he did...ehh. The only thing I really have a problem with is him not letting Clark get the dog, that was just too much.

Worst part is that horrible kiss and the lines after. Still cringing when I think about it. I like Amy Adams as much as the next guy, but just kill her in JL or MoS2. There is no realy chemistry between the two and from a story pov you could do some really interesting stuff. Also it would up the stakes.

JTripper

One of the weirdest thing I'm seeing in the final Metropolis fight right now is how there are brief scenes of the civilians literally just standing behind their car doors just calmly watching their city be destroyed and Zod fight Superman. Also, no one has their phone out taking video or photos of it. 9/10 very confusing

It annoys me that people in the OT thread use nerds as a term like it's some quasi-minority group rather than just people who enjoy a particular...thing...esp since it's almost always used in a negative context.

Just feels...supremely ironic considering what GAF stands for.

O well. Community threads feel like friends even when there's debates :)(

Boke1879

The OT is going to be fun! lol

Seriously is it a prerequisite to shit on this movie, sorry "children's movie", in every thread made about it because it sure seems like it?

I said earlier. It's one thing to be worried about how good the movie is. It's another thing to actively want this movie to fail and you see it in that very thread.

At this point I just want the movie to review not because I care but because I don't want the OT thread to become shit. That said I'm glad there are all of those other threads, because all the people hopefully will just stay in there and fight.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Listening to the John Campea podcast. He is now talking about Gadot and his reaction, trying to justify it now (at one point he called it one of the worst castings ever made). Fucking horrible, just say you fucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom