• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magwik

Banned
Listening to the John Campea podcast. He is now talking about Gadot and his reaction, trying to justify it now (at one point he called it one of the worst castings ever made). Fucking horrible, just say you fucked up.
Man I can't wait for Korey at Double Toasted to see and review the film. His ehtusiasm after the last trailer is gonna be the best

Folks already lining up for a screening six hours away. Jeez. Not about to go that early myself.

One of the weirdest thing I'm seeing in the final Metropolis fight right now is how there are brief scenes of the civilians literally just standing behind their car doors just calmly watching their city be destroyed and Zod fight Superman. Also, no one has their phone out taking video or photos of it. 9/10 very confusing

I'll be honest, that part makes me laugh. Poor effects layering of those two shots, contrasting with the incredible spectacle of the fight, doesn't help.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
This is just so fucking confusing, he is still referring to it as a wrong decision and yet it will probably work out fine...what the fuck? So it wasn't a wrong decision at all, or am I crazy? Why is it so hard for people to admit they overreacted? Someone explain this to me.

a916

Folks already lining up for a screening six hours away. Jeez. Not about to go that early myself.

I'll be honest, that part makes me laugh. Poor effects layering of those two shots, contrasting with the incredible spectacle of the fight, doesn't help.

Just a huge heads up. I have no idea how this screening is happening, but other screenings, they over invite people and it's first come first serve. I have no idea how tonight is going down but thought I'd give a heads up.

IconGrist

Listening to the John Campea podcast. He is now talking about Gadot and his reaction, trying to justify it now (at one point he called it one of the worst castings ever made). Fucking horrible, just say you fucked up.

Between his despicable reaction and continued shit throwing at Gadot and his childish behavior about Laurel on Arrow I just dropped him altogether. His back pedaling on Gadot is cheap as well considering just a couple of weeks ago he was still throwing shade at her about Triple 9.

This is just so fucking confusing, he is still referring to it as a wrong decision and yet it will probably work out fine...what the fuck? So it wasn't a wrong decision at all, or am I crazy? Why is it so hard for people to admit they overreacted? Someone explain this to me.

People never want to admit they're wrong.

I mean it's not a big deal because it's not like it's a moral issue but...it'd hurt his pride I guess.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Between his despicable reaction and continued shit throwing at Gadot and his childish behavior about Laurel on Arrow I just dropped him altogether. His back pedaling on Gadot is cheap as well considering just a couple of weeks ago he was still throwing shade at her about Triple 9.

Yeah, better not to listen to this podcast. He's been going at it for like 30 minutes, trying to make sense of his reaction or whatever the fuck with poor comparisons, weird examples and whatnot. I really didn't understand any of it, besides the fact he kept saying it was a horrible decision but it could work if done right? So dumb.

Also mentioned how a friend of his told him that Gadot does not ruin the movie and that the movie is great. So a majority of the early reactions has been that Gadot is possibly the best part, but with him it's just that she does not ruin it? Uhu, sure.

a916

I'm in the same boat as him to be honest.. not to THAT degree, but I think they should've went with a safer actress with a stronger acting pedigree than Gadot. No offense, but she's a complete wild card. Would have loved if they gotten an acting powerhouse in that role because that would add that much more to the role.

BUT I want her to succeed because I want her to succeed (and the character to have success)

i want the character to be a success but i don't like gal as a person at all (and I'd rather not get into why tbh, this thread doesn't need to be derailed into THAT discussion). the latter never really conflicts with my film tastes though so whatever.

if she's good then she's good. hopefully that's the case. wonder woman is a big deal for the genre.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the same boat as him to be honest.. not to THAT degree, but I think they should've went with a safer actress with a stronger acting pedigree than Gadot. No offense, but she's a complete wild card. Would have loved if they gotten an acting powerhouse in that role because that would add that much more to the role.

BUT I want her to succeed because I want her to succeed (and the character to have success)

Meh, it's a superhero role after all. You don't need a powerhouse. Look at Hemsworth, Cavill, Evans etc. Not great actors, but serviceable enough for their roles. Or look at Bale, A-tier actor but not the best performance in his Batman roles. It's all about casting the right person. Affleck is a lesser actor than Bale, but from the looks of it will do an even better job as Batman.

I just don't understand his logic? You don't like the casting because of her career so far? Fair enough (even though you should reserve judgement until you see it, but ohh well). But to freak out like he did and say it was one of the worst miscastings ever? When I think of a horrible decision it's something like her ruining the character as well as the movie, as it turns out that is not the case. And he even said that it could work (without seeing the movie), so that automatically does not make a horrible decision. A horrible decision is when from the moment you made the decision, everything after is downhill.

Just a huge heads up. I have no idea how this screening is happening, but other screenings, they over invite people and it's first come first serve. I have no idea how tonight is going down but thought I'd give a heads up.

My concern is if it's the same crowd as last year, it's no problem. Showing up 20 minutes before was fine. Other experiences, had to arrive two or more hours early. No word on if today's screening are only for those from last year or additional groups are invited.

bale is pretty damn underrated at this point. dude certainly did a better job than cavill and hemsworth at the least. it's hard sharing a movie with the joker. watch affleck have a similar problem when his batman movie comes up.

plus they gave two face and even gordon a more showier performance in tdk. bruce is more repressed in that one than the other two.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
bale is pretty damn underrated at this point. dude certainly did a better job than cavill and hemsworth at the least. it's hard sharing a movie with the joker. watch affleck have a similar problem when his batman movie comes up.

plus they gave two face and even gordon a more showier performance in tdk. bruce is more repressed in that one than the other two.

Sure, I was just trying to compare him and Batfleck to show that a powerhouse actor (which Bale certainly is) doesn't always mean he'll give the better performance than someone who is not. Same thing could be said for Gal, tons of better actresses, but it's about finding the right one.

i think they just wanted an exotic accent more than anything else. if you look at the three rumored actresses for wonder woman it seems they were always going to have a foreign accent there.

my dream casting was eva green. especially after the 300 prequel, then i held hope for her being cast as circe. sadly that didn't happen either. hopefully the actresses cast as wonder woman and circe do well.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I still think they're waiting for this movie to be released and see the people reaction to his Batman before offically announcing it.

He dont wanna direct himself in a movie no one likes.

Poor Supes. Just give George Miller a call.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Hypothetically let's say BvS gets a 82% RT, critics are generally positive, and it kills at the box office. Will these people who seem to "know" it's trash admit they were wrong, run and hide, or find something to nitpick thus in their mind making it a terrible film? I'm getting the impression they will double down and insist it's terrible no matter what. Such a sad place to be in as a fan of movies. Jeeze

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
i think they just wanted an exotic accent more than anything else. if you look at the three rumored actresses for wonder woman it seems they were always going to have a foreign accent there.

my dream casting was eva green. especially after the 300 prequel, then i held hope for her being cast as circe. sadly that didn't happen either. hopefully the actresses cast as wonder woman and circe do well.

tumblr_n2uco6a1MX1s2gmx3o4_400.gif

She really has that hot, freak in bed thing going on.

Boke1879

Hypothetically let's say BvS gets a 82% RT, critics are generally positive, and it kills at the box office. Will these people who seem to "know" it's trash admit they were wrong, run and hide, or find something to nitpick thus in their mind making it a terrible film? I'm getting the impression they will double down and insist it's terrible no matter what. Such a sad place to be in as a fan of movies. Jeeze

The people that have been pretty down on the movie since it's inception will likely not change their tune. They'll probably go see it but they'll still find something negative that'll ruin the movie. Also some people just dislike Snyder no matter what.

a916

Nope lol. They'll dig their heels and say it was overrated and how wrong the critics are. If these people are THAT convinced that this movie is a hot mess and it sucks, they are going to go in thinking that and then they'll start attaching themselves to any point that furthers their viewpoint (confirmation bias.)

I'd love for everyone to go in with an open mind.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Well, that won't happen but if it did: nitpick everything. This is GAF. We had a thread about the runtime that turned to shit. Or a thread about some placeholder art a developer forgot to remove in the trailer...

Two scenes on that in TDK I love are when he goes to save Rachael. He finds Harvey and pauses for but a moment to process the impending death of the woman he loves. Bruce powers through it, saves Harvey, investigates the rubble, before dealing with it in his loft. Second is the climax where Gordon and Harvey, both amped up and emotional, while Bruce holds it together. All you get from him is a quiet "You weren't" in response to Harvey's breakdown.

a916

Meh, it's a superhero role after all. You don't need a powerhouse. Look at Hemsworth, Cavill, Evans etc. Not great actors, but serviceable enough for their roles. Or look at Bale, A-tier actor but not the best performance in his Batman roles. It's all about casting the right person. Affleck is a lesser actor than Bale, but from the looks of it will do an even better job as Batman.

I just don't understand his logic? You don't like the casting because of her career so far? Fair enough (even though you should reserve judgement until you see it, but ohh well). But to freak out like he did and say it was one of the worst miscastings ever? When I think of a horrible decision it's something like her ruining the character as well as the movie, as it turns out that is not the case. And he even said that it could work (without seeing the movie), so that automatically does not make a horrible decision. A horrible decision is when from the moment you made the decision, everything after is downhill.

I definitely agree with this. There are some actors made for a certain role that can ONLY do that role. I can't say anything about Gadot's Wonder Woman because I have no idea how WW the movie will play out but you bring up a lot of good points.

However I would argue Evans and Hemsworth are pretty talented actors outside of their popcorn flicks.

I really want to see how his post review will come out. I agree that WB/DC may have taken an unnecessary gamble on an unproven actor and given her the role of someone with equal importance as Batman/Superman. Imagine if they gave a male with very little acting experience and gave him Batman, we'd be rioting in the streets.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I definitely agree with this. There are some actors made for a certain role that can ONLY do that role. I can't say anything about Gadot's Wonder Woman because I have no idea how WW the movie will play out but you bring up a lot of good points.

However I would argue Evans and Hemsworth are pretty talented actors outside of their popcorn flicks.

I really want to see how his post review will come out. I agree that WB/DC may have taken an unnecessary gamble on an unproven actor and given her the role of someone with equal importance as Batman/Superman. Imagine if they gave a male with very little acting experience and gave him Batman, we'd be rioting in the streets.

Well......

Dabanton

Expect double downing.

I'm still baffled how serious people have wanted this movie to fail for some really bizarre reasons.

I don't think the people who are pathetic enough to wish for a film to fail without even having seen it are going to admit they were wrong. It saddens me that there's so much hatred out there for a film like this.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yeah you guys are right. Short of a 95+ RT I don't see them backing down. I couldn't care less about critical reception but I really want it to be positive so we don't have to listen to as much bashing as we would with a bad reviewed film.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, I don't get this reference lol.

I mean, they gave the role to an actor that has been in the business for like 20 years and got some Oscars as well, you know how that went. It's the internet. Everything sucks until they see it and like it, then it's the greatest thing ever. Of worst if they don't like it.

Giving Batman to a less experienced actor might have resulted in less criticism if anything.

On WW's casting, the lady playing Elektra in Daredevil is all right but I can't imagine her as WW, had she been chosen. Can't explain it. Likewise, Gal Gadot Faora, can't see that either.

SJRB

Gold Member
The way the F-22s engage the World Engine. Better than anything Michael Bay ever did.

No doubt. The crazy action, total destruction, AMAZING music, cars getting flattened, the girl under the rubble [really well acted by the way, she's terrified], Superman's face all wobbling from the pressure.

Just awesome.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
No doubt. The crazy action, total destruction, AMAZING music, cars getting flattened, the girl under the rubble [really well acted by the way, she's terrified], Superman's face all wobbling from the pressure.

Just awesome.

Trivia: Jor-El's speech is also aimed at the critics. They will stumble, they will fall, but in time, they will love this movie.

IconGrist

I remember when Ronda said she wanted to play Captain Marvel, it was like the next day that I saw Furious 7 and saw her scene and laughed my ass off. I almost wanted it to happen just to witness the shit show.

Watch the Entourage movie (don't watch the Entourage movie). She improved a ton between it and Fast 7.

lol i saw that. honestly i thought she was terrible in that too. made turtle look like daniel day lewis opposite her. such stiff line reading man. gina wasn't that great in haywire but i think she was better than ronda.

IconGrist

There's a pretty good chance Faora is still alive in the Phantom Zone. The Colonel and Hamilton probably died on impact but Faora would have easily survived the hit and been sucked in with the rest of Kryptonians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom