• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah man, the impressions are almost here...

X1AbG.gif

Just got out. I'll post more in a bit. First half is okay, second half was aces.

I concur. The way it's edited is peculiar, little unfocused.

Will post better impressions later. Hot take, it's in the B range for me. Somewhere near the bottom of the top forth of comic films, if that makes sense.

IconGrist

Better the 2nd time? That's encouraging.

I feel like movies you're really hyped out kind of sit funny with you on a first viewing because you're not sure what to expect. You'll spend more time trying to decide if you like what you saw rather than actually seeing anything.

Anth0ny

I've been watching the behind the scenes documentaries for the Dark Knight Trilogy today. Still blows my mind to see how seriously Nolan took those films. The practical effects... my god. Snyder appears in the documentary a lot, praising Nolan for this approach to film making, but I can't imagine he is as dedicated when it comes to practical effects.

These new films have a lot to live up to after that trilogy. Hoping for the best.

I've been watching the behind the scenes documentaries for the Dark Knight Trilogy today. Still blows my mind to see how seriously Nolan took those films. The practical effects... my god. Snyder appears in the documentary a lot, praising Nolan for this approach to film making, but I can't imagine he is as dedicated when it comes to practical effects.

These new films have a lot to live up to after that trilogy. Hoping for the best.
I saw the documentaries on the Man of Steel Blu-ray, and they actually used practical effects a lot more than I expected. They did it as much as possible.

I saw the documentaries on the Man of Steel Blu-ray, and they actually used practical effects a lot more than I expected. They did it as much as possible.
Yeah, i liked how they tried to film the actors faces on some scenes, to sell the cg heavy scenes more by composing both, like Zod on the satellite.

Magwik

Banned
Okay! So to elaborate more, the first half of the film, maybe first third, is just disjointed. It's very easy to tell that cuts were made to trim down the time, and while it never feels like anything important was left out, what it is missing are scenes that just so slightly stitch the the film together, something as simple as Clark just flying somewhere instead of appearing there. Thankfully, the second half of the film, aside from a small section that appears to be rushed or cut up to reach a specific place, flows really well and naturally. It never slows down in the second half, and it's kicked off with a bang. As someone who read spoilers and plenty of impressions and such, they can't prepare you for some scenes and their impact.

As for the characters I've been an avid optimistic of Eisenbergs Lex Luthor, and after seeing the movie I don't think they quite knew what they wanted to do with the character. One moment he's very Zuckerberg, and the next he's psychotic, then after that he becomes compelling even though they don't spend much time on his motivations. He has less presence than you'd think (at least for me) and a small quirk I appreciated is him talking about his fathers past life.

Batman in this movie is very, very traumatized. I recently watched Dark Knight Returns this weekend, and the trauma between the two versions of the characters is about on par. He's cruel, unrelenting, and probably has the biggest character arc in the movie. They really nailed certain aspects of Bruce, such as the billionaire playboy.

For the few scenes Gal had, she really nailed Wonder Woman. While her time was brief, you really got to know the type of person she is, and that's someone who really doesn't want to deal with the world of man anymore. Won't say much more on her.

Superman in this movie struggles with finding his place in the world. Circumstances of the movie pull him from one side of views to another, until ultimately he is lost. This isn't your boyscout superman yet, but he is getting there. The movie and his arc was about finding his place in our world and the world finding a place for superman. Cavil did a fine job again, but was out shadowed by other performances who had more to do.

There's some little Easter eggs that you may not miss too. I believe I heard one for Mask of Phantasm, a joke by Perry which references the year Superman first appeared in comics, and I think I heard one for Shazam too. Keep your ears peaked.

The nightmare sequence was also extremely out of place and it definitely should have been cut or reworked into something else.

As for the rest of the cameos; some say they are out of place, but the film doesn't focus too much on them. One actually caught me off guard with how it's portrayed.

That's all for tonight though. If I had to give it any sort of rating or predict one, I'd throw it somewhere between 79-87% depending entirely on how certain people feel about certain things.

guek

Banned
Hype deflated, guys the dream is over, we lost.

I know you're joking but it might be appropriate to start expecting a slightly lower RT and MC score. I had started to get optimistic and thinking maybe it'd hit 85% but I'm beginning to think 80% might be the ceiling (which would still be great). We'll know soon enough!

JTripper

Batman in this movie is very, very traumatized. I recently watched Dark Knight Returns this weekend, and the trauma between the two versions of the characters is about on par. He's cruel, unrelenting, and probably has the biggest character arc in the movie. They really nailed certain aspects of Bruce, such as the billionaire playboy.

Now that's what I want to hear. The #1 thing I'm looking forward to in this film is Batman/Bruce and this sounds like he's given some serious character study in this film, which I want.

IconGrist

I'm getting a strong Watchmen vibe, meaning I'll probably think the theatrical cut is just OK while finding the director's cut to be pretty good

Well, you're sort of the opposite of me with this. I'm going into BvS with what I know genuinely looking forward to it. You on the other hand seem super concerned about what you know and have reservations.

Flip those positions and you have us for Civil War.

guek

Banned
Well, you're sort of the opposite of me with this. I'm going into BvS with what I know genuinely looking forward to it. You on the other hand seem super concerned about what you know and have reservations.

Flip those positions and you have us for Civil War.
It's just what I've come to expect out of Snyder. I've never walked out of one of his movies thinking it was great. He does some stellar work with a camera though so I was hoping Affleck and Terrio could elevate his work for me. You on the other hand seem to love MoS more than I do Winter Soldier and that's saying something :p I think you're right in that it sounds like you'll enjoy this film almost as much if not more.

I'm not trying to be a downer though. If it makes you feel any better, odds are looking good I'll see it on Saturday morning after all. Gotta add to that billion dollar gross!

a916

I can guess that now. Greg will love it, Joe will hate it. Greg's reason will be about the psychology and Joe's will be irrational because Batman took the spotlight from Superman.

Greg will be done around 12:30, his screening started half an hour ago.

IconGrist

It's just what I've come to expect out of Snyder. I've never walked out of one of his movies thinking it was great. He does some stellar work with a camera though so I was hoping Affleck and Terrio could elevate his work for me. You on the other hand seem to love MoS more than I do Winter Soldier and that's saying something :p I think you're right in that it sounds like you'll enjoy this film almost as much if not more.

I'm not trying to be a downer though. If it makes you feel any better, odds are looking good I'll see it on Saturday morning after all. Gotta add to that billion dollar gross!

I don't know. I like Winter Soldier more than Man of Steel. I've just seen MoS way more.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
There is no way anyone can like MoS more than Winter Soldier. Winter Soldier is the best MCU movie!

IconGrist

O rly. That's a surprise! Your MoS view count is truly frightful though

I never said MoS was my favorite CBM movie, lol. I only ever said that I liked it and have seen it more than any person really should see any movie. To be fair though I have also likely seen Winter Soldier more than anyone.

Let me clarify my insanity for you all.

I own a copy of MoS and TWS in one of each of the following ways:
DVD
Blu Ray
Digital (Google Play)
Digital (iTunes)
Digital (Vudu)
Digital (PSN)

Basically no matter where I am or what device I have with me I can sit and watch Man of Steel or The Winter Soldier. Get on my level, fanboys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom