• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well happy for everyone that saw it. So glad fans seem to be loving it. Now that we're so close to worldwide release, I think I'm ready to officially bail until I see the movie.

During my free time today, I actually kept myself distracted by working on a Batman V Superman inspired level on Mario Maker. If anyone wants to check it out I'll leave the code below. It's kinda rushed because I wanted it done today, so it's not my best work so don't judge me.

A365-0000-0201-F7EA

Little less than 3 days away... Unreal.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, just got back home.

Alright, so I was at the Seattle Science Center IMAX screening tonight and everything was going fine until the film jumped back like 10 seconds and replayed the same scene... over and over and over again at least 20 times before they came in to say something was wrong. At first, people thought it was a film choice from Zack, but after the 3rd loop we kinda figured something was wrong, haha. After they turned it off, we were waiting for like 15 minutes before they gave us an update saying they're going to reboot the system. Another 15 minutes goes on and they come out saying that their entire server crashed and they lost all their films, documentaries, and special shows that they show at that IMAX. It was a new system they had installed recently or something. So my movie ended just as
Doomsday was about to be released by Lex
. I did get to see the entire Batman vs Superman fight which was really well done and looked craaazy in IMAX. The clarity is just amazing.

They gave us a free ticket for another IMAX movie as compensation. But I have tickets bought for Thursday at a local theatre with some friends, so I'll just see the ending there, I guess. Man, that sucked :(

I can't give it any score yet since I'm missing the final 30 minutes or so. It did feel a bit odd at first to have a lot of scene jumping, but it settles down the further the movie goes along. Action of course it crazy cool and you can tell/see everything that's happening. If there's only one gripe I have it's that
Batman does kill a lot of people (with the vehicles) in this movie. Maybe because this version has kinda given up near the end of his career, but I'm a little disappointed at how many guys he brings down.

ZeroX03

Banned
You know how this works, strafer. You cannot like both or you'll create a black hole that'll implode the universe.

You either like Marvel most or you like DC most. There is no alternative. This is the most serious business.

IMAGE & MILESTONE FOR LIFE

SUCK IT NERDS, I'M OUT

Yager

Banned
I prefer Thor to Winter Soldier. I prefer Man of Steel to Winter Soldier. I prefer Thor 2 to Winter Soldier. I prefer First Avenger to Winter Soldier.

I think that movie extremely overrated. I just don't get it.

I saw it recently for the first time, and yes, it is. Don't get me wrong, I believe it's pretty good, perhaps one of the best of the Marvel universe, but people talking about it like it's one of the best movies of the last decade. Also, while I enjoyed the action scenes, it didn't really stand out for me like to most people. Choreography is good, but people talks about it like it was The Raid.

Then again, I believe almost every single Marvel movie is overrated, and I also believe that MoS gets more hate in here than it deserves. Almost everyone I know who has watched the film loved it.

Anyway, 36 hours to see this HNNNGGGG

Maddocks

Loved it, so much good and the feels. It is great seeing the trinity together on the big screen, it was amazing to see and the movie is so good. No spoilers here but if you only liked MOS you will love this and if you loved MOS you will jump up and down for this.

witness

Loved it, so much good and the feels. It is great seeing the trinity together on the big screen, it was amazing to see and the movie is so good. No spoilers here but if you only liked MOS you will love this and if you loved MOS you will jump up and down for this.

Thanks for your comments and elevating my hype. 48 hours to go....

ZeroX03

Banned
Absolutely. There's enough to talk about to get people in seats.
There's a reason I'm seeing it again tonight then Thursday night.

It's a Batman movie. Multiple theater viewings required.

26 hours til viewing #1.

e: gotta decide whether to rep Bats or Supes boxer briefs damn

Ross61

For those that have seen the movie, do you think the set pieces are there for Justice League to be a greater movie than this?

Boke1879

I'm glad people are coming away liking the movie! I can deal with the first 30 minutes being a bit wonky if that means the 2 remaining hours are awesome and it sounds like that's the case.

Well guys today is when things go off the rails. The reviews my crush somes sanity.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of that disjointed first 30-60 min of the movie, I'm wondering much the extended R-Rated Cut will play a role to that and if it fixes the disjointed scenes. /E/: Strafer was faster point it out.

Has anyone said that the movie felt too long?

I'm glad people are coming away liking the movie! I can deal with the first 30 minutes being a bit wonky if that means the 2 remaining hours are awesome and it sounds like that's the case.

Well guys today is when things go off the rails. The reviews my crush somes sanity.

i am getting the impression that this movie is in some parts very heavy on dc lore the kind of stuff which may go over a general audiences head this was alluded to by JTE as well, so it may be the case that us fans lap this shit up but it might not get the critical reception we would hope but still definitley not badly recieved

Magwik

Banned
Maybe the bluray will fix some of the pacing issues. Maybe that's one of the reasons it has 30 minutes of cut content.

Speaking of that disjointed first 30-60 min of the movie, I'm wondering much the extended R-Rated Cut will play a role to that and if it fixes the disjointed scenes. /E/: Strafer was faster point it out.

Has anyone said that the movie felt too long?
The movie never felt too long. And as far as what I want to see from an extended cut, it's mostly just connecting scenes like Clark flying from place to place, some daily planet stuff that was obviously cut, and Batman building his robo suit, which is only mentioned once at the start of the movie by Alfred.

Boke1879

i am getting the impression that this movie is in some parts very heavy on dc lore the kind of stuff which may go over a general audiences head this was alluded to by JTE as well, so it may be the case that us fans lap this shit up but it might not get the critical reception we would hope but still definitley not badly recieved

That's true. Even still from everything I've read people have said it's an enjoyable and good movie. So sure not all is perfect but it's still good. And I'm sure a lot of it has to do with introducing the new players and fleshing them out early on

ZeroX03

Banned
The movie never felt too long. And as far as what I want to see from an extended cut, it's mostly just connecting scenes like Clark flying from place to place, some daily planet stuff that was obviously cut, and Batman building his robo suit, which is only mentioned once at the start of the movie by Alfred.

Will adding Jena Malone's
Babs Gordon
(is that a spoiler? WB leaked it) help? Is it even a noticeable omission?

Magwik

Banned
Will adding Jena Malone's
Babs Gordon
(is that a spoiler? WB leaked it) help? Is it even a noticeable omission?
It would feel pretty unnecessary to be honest. the only
bat-family
stuff that would make sense at all in the film is
the death of Jason Todd, considering how heavily traumatized Bruce is at the start of the film. While it still wouldn't add much to the overall film, it would add more to Bruce's character.
Anythig else would be too much fan service.

strafer

The movie being too long is not my biggest issue, I love long movies, the longer the better.

That's why I'm looking forward to the Bluray.

tim1138

Ok, so thoughts from the screening last night.

The first 45 minutes or so is fairly slow and exposition heavy, and will probably draw the bulk of complaints from fans and critics alike. It didn't bother me, but my wife felt that part could have been trimmed down. It's basically setting the stage and getting all the pieces in place.

The Knightmare sequence was visually amazing, and it's going to be interesting to see how people interpret it.

is it a true nightmare or a Speed Force vision of a fucked up future that's equal parts Red Son, Flashpoint, and Superman the Dark Side? You don't get a really clear door of Flash, he's surrounded by Speed Force energy

We both enjoyed the way the League cameos were handled, it felt very organic and made sense in that world.

Acting wise, Jesse Eisenberg and Gal Gadot really do steal the show. I don't think anyone else was bad (and really enjoyed Affleck's grizzled take on Bats), but those two were definite highlights. My wife and I both left insanely hyped for the Wonder Woman movie and a bit disappointed Suicide Squad is this year and not Wonder Woman.

Tonally, this is a much different movie than the Marvel line, bringing in Terrio was a brilliant move. It's a very smart movie that looks at some interesting questions through the lens of superheroes. It also feels heavy, but without the grimness associated with the Nolan Batman movies. The actions of the characters have real impact and consequences and it's handled in a good way. There are moments of humor, but it's not the quips of the Avengers movies. I'm not saying one style is better than the other, but they are definitely different. I think it was a smart move by WB/DC to just keep doing their own thing.

My final thoughts:
Holy shit Wonder Woman was great, keep your eyes on her whenever she's on screen.
Go in spoiler free, if you think you know the whole movie from the trailers you are horribly mistaken.
And, we are already planning on seeing it again.

Firemind

I'm not too worried because they say it does have purpose. I think it's just kinda disjointed because you gotta introduce everyone. But I've heard after that 30-40 minutes things pick up
Word of mouth is going to be very important. I already have to drag my GF for the midnight release. If the beginning is too plodding and exposition heavy, it could have a negative impact on the experience. Not too worried about the second and third act though from what I gather. Of course fans may throw hissy fits, but that's par for the course. I want this to be a box office success and of course I want it to be a great film. :)

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
People in OT already shitting on the movie before seeing it themselves...ohh well. About as expected, coming months will be a mess.

Maybe Suicide Squad can turn it around.

Okay! So to elaborate more, the first half of the film, maybe first third, is just disjointed. It's very easy to tell that cuts were made to trim down the time, and while it never feels like anything important was left out, what it is missing are scenes that just so slightly stitch the the film together, something as simple as Clark just flying somewhere instead of appearing there. Thankfully, the second half of the film, aside from a small section that appears to be rushed or cut up to reach a specific place, flows really well and naturally. It never slows down in the second half, and it's kicked off with a bang. As someone who read spoilers and plenty of impressions and such, they can't prepare you for some scenes and their impact.

As for the characters I've been an avid optimistic of Eisenbergs Lex Luthor, and after seeing the movie I don't think they quite knew what they wanted to do with the character. One moment he's very Zuckerberg, and the next he's psychotic, then after that he becomes compelling even though they don't spend much time on his motivations. He has less presence than you'd think (at least for me) and a small quirk I appreciated is him talking about his fathers past life.

Batman in this movie is very, very traumatized. I recently watched Dark Knight Returns this weekend, and the trauma between the two versions of the characters is about on par. He's cruel, unrelenting, and probably has the biggest character arc in the movie. They really nailed certain aspects of Bruce, such as the billionaire playboy.

For the few scenes Gal had, she really nailed Wonder Woman. While her time was brief, you really got to know the type of person she is, and that's someone who really doesn't want to deal with the world of man anymore. Won't say much more on her.

Superman in this movie struggles with finding his place in the world. Circumstances of the movie pull him from one side of views to another, until ultimately he is lost. This isn't your boyscout superman yet, but he is getting there. The movie and his arc was about finding his place in our world and the world finding a place for superman. Cavil did a fine job again, but was out shadowed by other performances who had more to do.

There's some little Easter eggs that you may not miss too. I believe I heard one for Mask of Phantasm, a joke by Perry which references the year Superman first appeared in comics, and I think I heard one for Shazam too. Keep your ears peaked.

The nightmare sequence was also extremely out of place and it definitely should have been cut or reworked into something else.

As for the rest of the cameos; some say they are out of place, but the film doesn't focus too much on them. One actually caught me off guard with how it's portrayed.

That's all for tonight though. If I had to give it any sort of rating or predict one, I'd throw it somewhere between 79-87% depending entirely on how certain people feel about certain things.

ah shit, Shazam reference? 10/10 movie.

I'll see if I can hear it too.

That twitter reaction from the radio guy is weird, knocking the movie because WW is in it for a short amount of time? Come on. It's not like she's been a huge focus of the trailers, and apparently short time that she is it's amazing.

Effect

People in OT already shitting on the movie before seeing it themselves...ohh well. About as expected, coming months will be a mess.

Maybe Suicide Squad can turn it around.

To be expected and its part of why I'm glad the official thread wasn't put up early. That crap, regardless of the quality of the film in the end, was always going to happen before the film was released. Some people can't help themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom