• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yager

Banned
The time has come to active the Herp Derp extension for Youtube, disabling chat on Twitch, shut down Tweetdeck.

I need to see this movie asap before someone fucks it up for me. Going with friends next week, but I think I'll go and catch the afternoon screening this Friday by myself. I can't take it anymore.

batman-v-superman-l-aube-de-la-justice-shia-labeouf-trailer-950936.JPG

The time has come to active the Herp Derp extension for Youtube, disabling chat on Twitch, shut down Tweetdeck.

I need to see this movie asap before someone fucks it up for me. Going with friends next week, but I think I'll go and catch the afternoon screening this Friday by myself. I can't take it anymore.

I willingly read all the spoilers.

Just like I did for TFA.

I am history's greatest monster.

DaveH

First review is in on RT.

It's a rotten so far lol
Not that it matters, but the same thing that happened to MOS is occurring:

https://help.mgo.com/hc/en-us/articles/201917818-What-do-the-Rotten-Tomatoes-scores-mean-

The review scores it 6 out of 10 which is Fresh for RT, but RT marks it as Rotten. If you go through MOS's reviews you'll find over a dozen reviews over 60% but which got marked Rotten... conversely, you can find reviews 59% or below which somehow got marked Fresh for other films.

Not that it matters, but the same thing that happened to MOS is occurring:

https://help.mgo.com/hc/en-us/articles/201917818-What-do-the-Rotten-Tomatoes-scores-mean-

The review scores it 6 out of 10 which is Fresh for RT, but RT marks it as Rotten. If you go through MOS's reviews you'll find over a dozen reviews over 60% but which got marked Rotten... conversely, you can find reviews 59% or below which somehow got marked Fresh for other films.

Doesn't the reviewer themselves select Fresh/Rotten when they submit it?

There's not some grand conspiracy here Davey.

What kind of ass backwards system is that?

I looked it up, they both pull reviews on their own and allow approved critics to submit their reviews.

I don't see how that's ass backwards though, unless it's also ass backwards for a critic to choose their own star rating at the end of the review.

Firemind

I looked it up, they both pull reviews on their own and allow approved critics to submit their reviews.

I don't see how that's ass backwards though, unless it's also ass backwards for a critic to choose their own star rating at the end of the review.
I mean, then the star rating is kind of pointless, isn't it? Just use fresh/rotten and the review to let readers know if the film is worth seeing.

IconGrist

Read the review. He mentions Marvel atleast 5 times in that review how Warner Bros trying to catch up.

Yea, it's an awful review. And not in the "I'm excited for this so this review is dumb" way. In a "this is a terribly written review that is playing up a war that doesn't exist" way.

Boke1879

Y'all gotta chill man lol. So did Greg millers impressions go up yet. Not that I'll watch but just want to know his overall tone of it.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to chime in once more about my comments about the pacing at the beginning. I don't think it dragged on, but there was a lot to catch the viewer up on and set the pieces for the rest of the movie so they took their time showing you. I didn't mind it, especially since the movie is 2.5 hours long. Like others have said, I can see that being "boring" to some people who just want to get to all the action, but without it, I'd feel the movie would suffer from it. Can't wait to see the last 30 minutes on Thursday and another 30 on the Blu Ray, haha.

I mean, then the star rating is kind of pointless, isn't it? Just use fresh/rotten and the review to let readers know if the film is worth seeing.

Rottentomatoes exists to aggregate opinions, not to create a standard for film criticism. I would be really disgusted if film critics started changing the way they did reviews solely for RT.

IconGrist

I can understand why people put stock in reviews. Maybe you're tight on money or time or both and it's hard to give those things up for just a movie. I get that. Reviews in that sense can really matter. But if you don't fall into those camps then I find a reliance on reviews to be pretty damn silly.

I really like these guys. I just watched this a bit ago. All 3 liked it but seem to be overwhelmed and aren't really sure what their final thoughts are at this point. All agreed they need to see it a couple more times to really say.

I can understand why people put stock in reviews. Maybe you're tight on money or time or both and it's hard to give those things up for just a movie. I get that. Reviews in that sense can really matter. But if you don't fall into those camps then I find a reliance on reviews to be pretty damn silly.

I really like these guys. I just watched this a bit ago. All 3 liked it but seem to be overwhelmed and aren't really sure what their final thoughts are at this point. All agreed they need to see it a couple more times to really say.

I do that. I won't watch a movie when it has a score under 5/10 on imdb and so on. And it's not a money issue tbh.

I don't think bad reviews have ever put me off seeing a movie I'm interested in. No review would put me off watching this for example. On the other hand, good reviews have inspired me to go and watch something I wasn't going to see originally.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda want the RT score to be 50%, that would be just perfect.

Who gives a fuck, I know I'll enjoy it. 29 hours and 50 minutes, but who's counting.

Ahasverus

With all the pain in my heart, even if I end up liking the movie, because it's a good movie anyway, if it's critically panned I'd confidently campaign against Zack in the director role from now on. Keep Larry Fong if you want, but if Zack botches a praised script maybe he's just not the one, and tbh, I don't want to defend DC anymore.

DaveH

Doesn't the reviewer themselves select Fresh/Rotten when they submit it?

There's not some grand conspiracy here Davey.
Did I mention conspiracy? It's an inconsistency where the critics aren't following RT criteria when entering in their ratings. Essentially a curve or penalty where they require serious superhero films to break 70% before they'll mark it Fresh even though RT criteria (AND THEIR OWN REVIEW) puts it at 60%.

jackdoe

I do that. I won't watch a movie when it has a score under 5/10 on imdb and so on. And it's not a money issue tbh.
Haha, that's not really a high bar. A movie would have to be unbelievably godawful to score under 5/10 on IMDB of all places. For reference, Green Lantern scored a 5.6 on IMDB. Guess that one's really worth a watch!

IconGrist

See I can't relate to that at all. I couldn't possibly tell you how many badly reviewed movies I've watched that I really liked. And the notion that I would have missed some of those experiences because I cared about the over/under on a review score just doesn't sit well with me.

With all the pain in my heart, even if I end up liking the movie, because it's a good movie anyway, if it's critically panned I'd confidently campaign against Zack in the director role from now on. Keep Larry Fong if you want, but if Zack botches a praised script maybe he's just not the one, and tbh, I don't want to defend DC anymore.

Lol, why are you even doing that now? Just enjoy what you enjoy and stop giving a shit what other people think. All you're doing now is causing quite possibly the most pointless stress in the world.

And fuck people that randomly drop spoilers in the prediction thread. Fuck.
It's about Batman from the spanish review.

And that he kills people

Seriously pissed at that.

Haha, that's not really a high bar. A movie would have to be unbelievably godawful to score under 5/10 on IMDB of all places. For reference, Green Lantern scored a 5.6 on IMDB. Guess that one's really worth a watch!

If the WoM is really bad I won't watch it either. I watched the first 10 minutes of GL and then stopped, because it's simply a waste of time.

With Man of Steel, which has mediocre scores, I very much enjoyed it. So it's a case by case decision.

Simo

So uhh..where the hell is the OT?

Flipping through the Tech Manual...I'm convinced Rocksteady must of had some insight in the design and production of the film because for their Batcave and Batmobile..minor spoilers for the cave..
the Batmobile in BvS exits out of the cave via a ramp and door in the lake on the Manor grounds so there's no trail or trace of it...similar to how you see it in the reveal CG trailer for Arkham Knight.
Could be a coincidence of course but still pretty cool

I don't really look at reviews. If I'm interested, I'll watch it. My opinion on movies/games/shows are the only ones that matter to me in the end. There's a lot of stuff I love that most people don't seem to....and if I listened to others, I'd have missed out.

jackdoe

Who knows. I'm surprised it's being put up so late. What with the premiers happening and so many members having seen it already.
It really shouldn't be put up until Friday, before most people actually get to watch it. Because I already know what the thread is going to be like when it's put up today. Over sensitive DC fanboys attacking critics and their personal lives over negative review scores. Over zealous Marvel fanboys salivating at every negative review and baiting those DC fanboys (who will take the bait). Spoilers casually dropped. Arguments over destruction and neck snappings. And normal posters, with normal discussions, being overshadowed by all the noise.

And let's be honest, most of the discussions that would have taken place in the OT are already taking place in four separate threads.

It really shouldn't be put up until Friday, before most people actually get to watch it. Because I already know what the thread is going to be like when it's put up today. Over sensitive DC fanboys attacking critics and their personal lives over negative review scores. Over zealous Marvel fanboys salivating at every negative review and baiting those DC fanboys (who will take the bait). Spoilers casually dropped. Arguments over destruction and neck snappings. And normal posters, with normal discussions, being overshadowed by all the noise.

And let's be honest, most of the discussions that would have taken place in the OT are already taking place in four separate threads.

It's being released in several countries tomorrow, including most of Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom