• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

Word of mouth is going to be very important. I already have to drag my GF for the midnight release. If the beginning is too plodding and exposition heavy, it could have a negative impact on the experience. Not too worried about the second and third act though from what I gather. Of course fans may throw hissy fits, but that's par for the course. I want this to be a box office success and of course I want it to be a great film. :)

I can see that and it a fair complaint. But I do love some exposition and world building and if the rest of the movie is good like everyone says then I can't complain

So it's sounding like there are some pacing issues/plot holes for the first part, but the action is great as is Snyder's usual, the dialogue is much better than MoS and Affleck/Eisenberg are great.

It sounds like people going in expecting a rival to Nolan's story telling or a major shakeup to the super hero genre (like a third act that isn't a cgi fest) are going to be disappointed.

Personally I've already resigned team up movies to having a big battle, it's hard to get solo character moments in an ensemble cast.

There is no way anyone can like MoS more than Winter Soldier. Winter Soldier is the best MCU movie!

I think TWS is a better constructed movie in terms of dialog, plot, pacing and consistency, but still nothing really reaches the highs of some of the stuff in MoS for me. Superman getting his suit for the first time, flying and the small ville sequence are more memorable to me. Probably because I'm a fan of the character, but the only time I felt an emotional connection in TWS was the Bucky vs Cap fight.

tim1138

So it's sounding like there are some pacing issues/plot holes for the first part, but the action is great as is Snyder's usual, the dialogue is much better than MoS and Affleck/Eisenberg are great.

It sounds like people going in expecting a rival to Nolan's story telling or a major shakeup to the super hero genre (like a third act that isn't a cgi fest) are going to be disappointed.

Personally I've already resigned team up movies to having a big battle, it's hard to get solo character moments in an ensemble cast.

I wouldn't say there are plot holes in the first part, but the pacing is slow

Firemind

As long as the third act is good I'm happy. None of the MCU films I've seen have had a good third act. Even the Nolan trilogy disappointed me a bit.

You have some crazy standard or bias if you think Avengers and Ant-Man third act isn't amazing.

I don't know. I liked Ant-Man, and it's third act has a lot of fun set-pieces, but amazing is a bit strong of a word. I felt like the stakes aren't ever clearly felt. This dude's about to lose his daughter, but the meaning of that isn't felt in the film. It doesn't need to be as grim as the ending of TDK, which is very similar, but I didn't buy that Scott is all that concerned in the last sequence of that film.

BadAss2961

You have some crazy standard or bias if you think Avengers and Ant-Man third act isn't amazing.
The best third acts have stakes with at least some bit of an uncertain outcome. Either that or some mindblowing action.

Avengers had some money shots but was a standard romp to the finish line.

Ahasverus

Mayimbe, Angry Joe, Campea, all the usual suspects and most twitter impressions are STILL good.. We did it fams, we did it, we're almost in the sun

anigif_enhanced-buzz-8296-1344235778-6.gif

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Mayimbe, Angry Joe, Campea, all the usual suspects and most twitter impressions are STILL good.. We did it fams, we did it, we're almost in the sun

Still have a bad feeling about the RT score. I think I'm gonna lower it. 60%, it's a Snyder movie. Critics hate Snyder movies. Things Nolan and Burton got away with, they'll use against him.

Magwik

Banned
Seems like I missed a hell of a night

Getting old... two nights of movie line standing and called in from work to sleep!
I somehow managed to get up 4 hours later and am fine at work. Then after I get home is right back to the theater. It might catch up to me tomorrow lol.

Firemind

Haven't seen Ant-Man, but the third act of the first Avengers was appalling from every angle. The Chitauri, the cinematography, the choreography, the tv show quality sets, the Gary Stu. Loved the setup in the first and second act, but it fell apart in the third. One of the reasons I think is that Marvel just doesn't have the villains to create the high stakes for the third act. And Joss Whedon is an overrated director.

Ahasverus

Ant-Man's third act redeemed the movie. Avengers' was just fine, it was just too vanilla for my tastes, there were no real stakes. For all the criticism, I liked TWT third act. It was emotional.

ZeroX03

Banned
Tell us, is this movie considered as a classic in the future?

Assuming the beautiful love story between Bruce and Clark is still in the movie in this timeline, yes. It has the honour of being the first (but not only) superhero musical romantic comedy to sweep the Academy Awards.

Simo

Tech Manual and art book arrived but just flipped through the manual. Awesome cool book! In depth for everything and has the actual blueprints and set plans for the batcave.

Reveals some cool easter eggs too like the ones on Knightmare Batman gear...

Ok, so thoughts from the screening last night.

The first 45 minutes or so is fairly slow and exposition heavy, and will probably draw the bulk of complaints from fans and critics alike. It didn't bother me, but my wife felt that part could have been trimmed down. It's basically setting the stage and getting all the pieces in place.

The Knightmare sequence was visually amazing, and it's going to be interesting to see how people interpret it.

is it a true nightmare or a Speed Force vision of a fucked up future that's equal parts Red Son, Flashpoint, and Superman the Dark Side? You don't get a really clear door of Flash, he's surrounded by Speed Force energy

We both enjoyed the way the League cameos were handled, it felt very organic and made sense in that world.

Acting wise, Jesse Eisenberg and Gal Gadot really do steal the show. I don't think anyone else was bad (and really enjoyed Affleck's grizzled take on Bats), but those two were definite highlights. My wife and I both left insanely hyped for the Wonder Woman movie and a bit disappointed Suicide Squad is this year and not Wonder Woman.

Tonally, this is a much different movie than the Marvel line, bringing in Terrio was a brilliant move. It's a very smart movie that looks at some interesting questions through the lens of superheroes. It also feels heavy, but without the grimness associated with the Nolan Batman movies. The actions of the characters have real impact and consequences and it's handled in a good way. There are moments of humor, but it's not the quips of the Avengers movies. I'm not saying one style is better than the other, but they are definitely different. I think it was a smart move by WB/DC to just keep doing their own thing.

My final thoughts:
Holy shit Wonder Woman was great, keep your eyes on her whenever she's on screen.
Go in spoiler free, if you think you know the whole movie from the trailers you are horribly mistaken.
And, we are already planning on seeing it again.

People, listen to this man, he knows of what he speaks.

Mostly.

SJRB

Gold Member
The time has come to active the Herp Derp extension for Youtube, disabling chat on Twitch, shut down Tweetdeck.

I need to see this movie asap before someone fucks it up for me. Going with friends next week, but I think I'll go and catch the afternoon screening this Friday by myself. I can't take it anymore.

Boke1879

The time has come to active the Herp Derp extension for Youtube, disabling chat on Twitch, shut down Tweetdeck.

I need to see this movie asap before someone fucks it up for me. Going with friends next week, but I think I'll go and catch the afternoon screening this Friday by myself. I can't take it anymore.

Go by yourself. I couldn't imagine waiting that long. Someone will spoil it. I can't even wait until Friday

do it craig

Dabanton

Yeah I'm keeping off certain sites until I see this on Friday. Anyone who has to wait longer than that I feel you, as no doubt images from a pirated cam copy will be out in the wild by Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom