• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
And fuck people that randomly drop spoilers in the prediction thread. Fuck.
It's about Batman from the spanish review.

And that he kills people

Seriously pissed at that.
Like I said in my quick take posted last night about that (Don't read this if you want no additional info regarding what you spoiler tagged)

Most of the victims are from the Batmobile chase and the Batwing scene we see in the trailers where it shoots the trucks with turrets mounted on them. He never flat out shoots a gun at people or kills someone with his bare hands, but there are a few times where it's like Batman Begins and he kinda lets guys die when he might've been able to save them.

strafer

There shouldn't be any black / white bars at all in this thread to be honest.

There's a thread for spoilers and that's where everything should go.

People who have seen it already are free to post but nothing spoilery.

BadAss2961

I don't really look at reviews. If I'm interested, I'll watch it. My opinion on movies/games/shows are the only ones that matter to me in the end. There's a lot of stuff I love that most people don't seem to....and if I listened to others, I'd have missed out.
For myself, I don't care about reviews on games and movies at all. These days, with so much information available on everything before release, I can figure out what i'll like and what I won't in advance. So i'm rarely ever disappointed, only pleasantly surprised if anything.

On internet forums, reviews are all about bragging rights. I'd be lying if I said I didn't care about that part of it. lol

bryanee

Reviews mean shit to me. I haven't read a video game review in over four years and I don't think I've ever read a movie review. If I like the look of something I either watch or play it and form my own opinion. I'm not even going to go into any Rottenwatch threads for any movie anymore just see people try and justify their own opinions (if they have seen the film or not) on why something is good or bad.

And I booked my tickets earlier, woooo.

a916

For fear of spoilers, I'm not going to read that review... but he said "it's a let down in every sense"... does that mean he didn't even enjoy Affleck as Batman? Or the visuals?

Ninjimbo

I care about reviews from the critics I respect: A.O. Scott, Michael Phillips, Peter Travers, Armond White, Richard Roeper, Wesley Morris, and Manohla Dargis. Those are people whose tastes align with mine most of the time and generally have interesting things to say about movies.

For a movie like this though, I don't care if everybody hates it. I'm watching it and probably like it.

I am an unapologetic fan of Speed Racer afterall.

Ahasverus

2 RT reviews, 2 rotten

3Q0OEj8.gif

Yager

Banned
I couldn't care less about reviews. I used them as a sort of guide to know more or less what to expect, but I form my own opinion of movies. One of the things that showed me that reviews mean nothing to me are Zack Snyder films. I liked everything the guy's done so far (I even enjoy Sucker Punch). Also, I don't see the problem with braindead movies, and at the same time I enjoy "deep" movies.

In the superhero genre I've enjoyed almost all of the output, but what baffles me is that people holds Marvel in such high regard, when for me the only really good movie they've put so far is Winter Soldier. The rest? Good, entertaining, some mediocre or forgetable. Of course that's for me.

But this "DC and Warner want to catch the Marvel success" bla bla bla...wll of course they want the same kind of success, but that doesn't mean they're doing the same thing, or even trying to. As a comic books fan I want both of them to succeed.

jackdoe

I care about reviews from the critics I respect: A.O. Scott, Michael Phillips, Peter Travers, Armond White, Richard Roeper, Wesley Morris, and Manohla Dargis. Those are people whose tastes align with mine most of the time and generally have interesting things to say about movies.

For a movie like this though, I don't care if everybody hates it. I'm watching it and probably like it.

I am an unapologetic fan of Speed Racer afterall.
I'm surprised you mentioned Peter Travers and Armond White. Peter Travers has a reputation for liking everything and Armond White has a reputation for reviewing stuff contrarily. Those are two reviewers who you should probably ignore, regardless if they agree with your opinion of a movie or not.

strafer

only thing I'm worried about regarding the reviews is that the movie is getting trashed so much that WB decides to pull the plug on the DCU.

a916

2 RT reviews, 2 rotten

3Q0OEj8.gif

DC Universe is dooooooooooomed.

It was all a lie.

I just don't want the reviews making constant Marvel comparisons. I feel that's the main thing people feel when they are unnecessarily negative. The stupid "DC are copying Marvel" trend. I can already tell there are going to be a lot of "DC clearly trying to take Marvel inspiration" bullshit in a lot of upcoming reviews.

Different tone, different direction, different method...I have no idea how any of this is DC copying Marvel...

I just don't want the reviews making constant Marvel comparisons. I feel that's the main thing people feel when they are unnecessarily negative. The stupid "DC are copying Marvel" trend. I can already tell there are going to be a lot of "DC clearly trying to take Marvel inspiration" bullshit in a lot of upcoming reviews.

jackdoe

only thing I'm worried about regarding the reviews is that the movie is getting trashed so much that WB decides to pull the plug on the DCU.
How much money it makes far outweighs critical reception. Otherwise, Transformers would have ended as a franchise after the second installment.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Well, if it makes enough money I doubt WB would care. They might replace Snyder though.

IconGrist

Most of the MoS reviews complained about the lack of Reeve Superman. I wouldn't hold your breathe.

Ahasverus

Undoubtedly. They'll probably pull the plug on the Snyders and put George Miller or something at the helm of the production side.

Ahasverus

tbf, I've always found embargo breaking reviewers suspicious, like a bit of "don't care if I burn bridges, please notice me" going on.

I could care less about critic reviews if I enjoy the movie, audiences do, and it makes a crazy amount of cash. The issues is the last two are somewhat tied to the first one.

Dabanton

I certainly enjoy reading film reviews, but only after I've seen the actual movie.

They'll never influence me in terms of whether I should go and see something or not. The problem is in the age of metacritic and rotten tomatoes they are too often used to push agendas in online discussion.

Yeah it's about the money. Freaking Colin trevorrow got the final film of what will undoubtedly be the biggest trilogy this century so far coming off of blah jurassic world. Which got lukewarm reviews but did incredible worldwide

If this hits the high 900-billion mark then he's safe for justice League unless he wants to hand it over himself.

Ahasverus

I could care less about critic reviews if I enjoy the movie, audiences do, and it makes a crazy amount of cash. The issues is the last two are somewhat tied to the first one.
I disagree, we got TDK, we shouldn't be setting for less than both public and commercial success, the characters deserve it. If Zack Snyder can reduce a brilliant script to a mere "meh" something's very wrong. You're all assuming we'd still have a Transformers in our hands, but contrary to those big dumb robots, I don't think the General Audience is going to put up with bad Comic Book movies when there is a whole studio (or two) making good ones.

WhiteWolf

That's my fear as well. I am very excited for the darker direction they've taken in and I'm afraid, if this goes poorly, they'll reboot it to go more lighthearted.

Boke1879

I disagree, we got TDK, we shouldn't be setting for less than both public and commercial success, the characters deserve it. If Zack Snyder can reduce a brilliant script to a mere "meh" something's very wrong. You're all assuming we'd still have a Transformers in our hands, but contrary to those big dumb robots, I don't think the General Audience is going to put up with bad Comic Book movies when there is a whole studio (or two) making good ones.

Again who are they to tell us what a bad movie is. You have people saying this will get low scores simply because of the name Snyder. Again audience impressions range from "like" to "good" to "great" of course you'll have people who don't like it

That said MoS doesn't seem to be hindering this movie at all

Dysun

Critics and loud voices on the internet aren't going to be the ones who decide that. If the fans come out and the audience reaction is good, the DCU will be fine

Do they have the balls to pull out Snyder though?
If he makes them money. They won't pull him out, even if received bad critically.

WB cares more about the fans reaction then critics I feel for these movies. It dumb to think that we need to get TDK caliber films. Those films were on another level because of how they were presented in reality, a movie with superpowers is much more Diffculty to do.

I feel a Batman solo directed by Ben would actually receive Cirtical acclaim tho.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Do they have the balls to pull out Snyder though?

Why not? It's Hollywood, Snyder wil get his Geroge Washington whatever movie and WB could just replace him (not that I want them to).

The review thread is great, imagine another 10 negative reviews with no good ones. GAF would crash.

Penguin

Some good news for Warner

“Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” is Fandango’s top pre-selling superhero film ever, beating previous record holders, “The Dark Knight Rises” and “Avengers: Age of Ultron.” According to Fandango, “Batman v Superman” represented more than 90 percent of the company’s ticket sales for the weekend.

- See more at: http://www.thewrap.com/batman-v-superman-is-fandangos-top-pre-selling-superhero-movie-ever/#.dpuf

TS-08

Reviews matter, but they probably matter more for a movie like Suicide Squad than one starring two of the most popular fictional characters ever. That said, a poorly (or mixed reviewed) BvS doesn't help create a reputation that draws in audiences to lesser known IPs like the Marvel name currently does. So in some sense, a well-reviewed BvS is also important to the universe going forward.

a916

Reviews matter, but they probably matter more for a movie like Suicide Squad than one starring two of the most popular fictional characters ever. That said, a poorly (or mixed reviewed) BvS doesn't help create a reputation that draws in audiences to lesser known IPs like the Marvel name currently does. So in some sense, a well-reviewed BvS is also important to the universe going forward.

I'm going to agree with this.

You'll draw people to BvS with the spectacle... but BvS2, or Justice League, you have potential to not draw those people back in because they saw Batman and Superman on the screen already and they didn't think it was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom