• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdFoX187

Banned
Rarely seen such a huge disconnect between "professional" critics and enthusiast "nerds" as this movie. Not even the worst impressions I've read here or heard in other places would ever lead to review this bad. It truly makes me wonder if critics were going in expecting something different -- more akin to the Marvel formula -- rather than what we got. I loved Man of Steel, so I'm sure I'll love this. Just going to avoid the OT threads for a while.

I'm less disappointed about the reviews and more about what it could mean (BO wise) for the rest of the cinematic universe. Also it'd be embarrassing/mortifying if they had to scrap all the plans. Esp because whoever has a loyalty to either side of the divide would not shut up about it forever

BTM

Rarely seen such a huge disconnect between "professional" critics and enthusiast "nerds" as this movie. Not even the worst impressions I've read here or heard in other places would ever lead to review this bad. It truly makes me wonder if critics were going in expecting something different -- more akin to the Marvel formula -- rather than what we got. I loved Man of Steel, so I'm sure I'll love this. Just going to avoid the OT threads for a while.

Yea, it's rather odd.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Hehe, now we know Devin was trolling with his ''spoke to 6 critics who are in agreement'', people thought it was positive. Nope. Kudos to WB though, they probably knew something like this would happen and still went with it. Nice. Gimme more.

Evo X

I am so glad I got to watch this movie before the deluge of all these fucking critics.

Most of them are elitist who think they are above this genre or just want this to be a carbon copy of the Marvel formula instead of something different.

Effect

Not reading any of the reviews but for those that did what are critics main problems with the film? Something lighter and funnier when that wasn't advertised? Did they want something simple?

The disconnect here is strong. What were their expectations?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So what are the biggest complaints?

I don't want to get spoiled, it happened with MoS and ever since I never went to RT
I read the Forbes review and his main complaints were too dark and all the world building hurt it.

And he didn't like Ben Affleck Batman at all.

Hehe, now we know Devin was trolling with his ''spoke to 6 critics who are in agreement'', people thought it was positive. Nope. Kudos to WB though, they probably knew something like this would happen and still went with it. Nice. Gimme more.

Is he like, a sociopath? He was excited for the films failure? I feel some critics have to have been trolling people

Oddduck

This has only made me more curious to know what Suicide Squad's reviews will be like in August.

I really want Suicide Squad to be good.

a916

What a pos... for real.

strafer

the suits at WB all be like

latest

JdFoX187

Banned
Not reading any of the reviews but for those that did what are critics main problems with the film? Something lighter and funnier when that wasn't advertised? Did they want something simple?

The disconnect here is strong. What were their expectations?

Skimmed the "Top Critics" reviews and it's mainly all complaints about it being too dark and broody. It honestly reminds me a lot of the critical complaints around Watchmen.

a916

Nah, the suits at WB want good box office returns. They could give a shit less if this movie did 5% on RT as long as it makes them enough money.

I wouldn't be too sure about that... terrible reviews don't make for a good environment to bring in talent or retain viewers.

PBY

Banned
Nah, the suits at WB want good box office returns. They could give a shit less if this movie did 5% on RT as long as it makes them enough money.

You're crazy if you don't think they care. Weekend 1 will be fine, but weekend 2? This is reviewing worse than green lantern at the moment.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
They have to be worried. They need to let people know that Snyder and his team are not coming back and I expect some big changes in that slate.

I don't know where they are going to go with this now, honestly.

This will probably scare Ben Affleck of directing these movies. He is not going to do a Batman film, I don't think.

SO why the fuck were there positive impressions then?

And I dont just mean from fans, but people like Grace Randolph and shit

because they loved the movie! this is why critics are a waste. nothing but elitists.
critics are a holdover from days past when access and information to entertainment was limited so you had to rely on the word of a so-called expert to tell what was good and what wasn't. critics still think that they are the trendsetters and many critics have let it be known that they hate comic book movies unless they follow a very trite and tired formula.

I'm less disappointed about the reviews and more about what it could mean (BO wise) for the rest of the cinematic universe. Also it'd be embarrassing/mortifying if they had to scrap all the plans. Esp because whoever has a loyalty to either side of the divide would not shut up about it forever

if it makes 200 million opening weekend no one will care what some "professional" critic thinks.

Simo

Exactly. Mad Max: Fury Road, the best reviewed movie of 2015 but it didn't make shit for Warner Bros. and where's it sequel? "Down the road, at some point in the time", IE probably never.

Reviews by my foggy memory for Man of Steel seemed to be brutal too but for me it's one of the best CBM there is but oh well. lol

PBY

Banned
because they loved the movie! this is why critics are a waste. nothing but elitists.
critics are a holdover from days past when access and information to entertainment was limited so you had to rely on the word of a so-called expert to tell what was good and what wasn't. critics still think that they are the trendsetters and many critics have let it be known that they hate comic book movies unless they follow a very trite and tired formula.

if it makes 200 million opening weekend no one will care what some "professional" critic thinks.

No dude, its because a bunch of super fanboys who get free tickets always love early screenings.

They have to be worried. They need to let people know that Snyder and his team are not coming back and I expect some big changes in that slate.

The Things is, Suicide Squad is done, Wonder Woman is done

Justice league is already i production, and is most likely already being filmed.
They could change now, but it would be fukcing difficult

JdFoX187

Banned
No dude, its because a bunch of super fanboys who get free tickets always love early screenings.

People keep saying this and it's still bullshit. Amazing Spider-Man 2 had mixed reactions, to say the least. Green Lantern had horrible reactions leading up to it, with obvious signs like Blake Lively's agent trying to distance her from the film. Fantastic 4 was hit with extremely poor early reactions just last year. The fact that early screenings for every genre movie are "always positive" is bullshit. Also doesn't change the fact there were plenty of critics and reviewers who heavily hinted via Twitter throughout the weekend how they enjoyed the movie.

The Things is, Suicide Squad is done, Wonder Woman is done

Justice league is already i production, and is most likely already being filmed.
They could change now, but it would be fukcing difficult

Suicide Squad is almost definitely safe. There could be serious edits done to Wonder Woman, but I doubt it. There will probably be some certain changes made to Justice League, however, if audience reaction mirrors critical reaction.

GeeTeeCee

This will probably scare Ben Affleck of directing these movies. He is not going to do a Batman film, I don't think.

Ehh, Transformers gets critically panned year in, year out and gets a lot of internet hate yet Paramount keep on rolling the dump truck of money up to Michael Bay's house. Critcal reception isn't the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom