• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
would be funny if it still ends up being fresh, once fanboyish sites start plugging their it might rise enough, but the top critics absolutely ravaged this film. This is not what WB wanted at all.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Avoiding all related BvS threads apart from this one, don't need the negativity. I'm still excited to see it on Friday with my family.

3N16MA

Banned
Low score means I refuse to watch it. I will petition to have Snyder removed from further DC films and request a lifetime supply of DC merchandise for the mental anguish this has caused me.

PBY

Banned
many people in this forum have already seen it and have given it very good marks, so no, not fanboys. piss off with that attitude.

nope, not really. but that's your bias coming out.

depends on the movie.

I thought it looked awful, and the overall OT reaction was the same. Not sure if that's bias, because I hated MoS, but could totally be guilty of that sure. I'm also sure based on what I've read that if you like MoS, you'll prob like this - so that's cool.

Will be interesting if there is a massive divide between critics and consumers, not the first time it's happened.

DIdn't expect lower than MoS, but reviews are still coming in. I'll have to see it first before I can judge, but I can't help but feel like alot of these complaints are similar to Man of Steel's.

I really do not want a JL universe with whedon style quips.

Firemind

Will be interesting if there is a massive divide between critics and consumers, not the first time it's happened.

DIdn't expect lower than MoS, but reviews are still coming in. I'll have to see it first before I can judge, but I can't help but feel like alot of these complaints are similar to Man of Steel's.

That'd be the worst. And I liked Buffy.

I think people should know that there are more critics seeing it tonight. A bunch of the guys at Collider have a critic screening tonight. Not sure why WB didn't have it before the embargo ended.

Simo

Latino Review is going full in saying his colleagues should not be critics since they told him the film was as bad or worse than Green Lantern. lol LR clearly loved it.

Devin saying it's "the worst modern CBM" but liked the F4 reboot is...something. lol

a916

I think people should know that there are more critics seeing it tonight. A bunch of the guys at Collider have a critic screening tonight. Not sure why WB didn't have it before the embargo ended.

Probably felt that this was the reaction it was going to get? So they felt they needed to allow a good word of mouth to spread before the critical reviews rolled in. I mean MOS has an excellent audience score too.

Latino Review is going full in saying his colleagues should not be critics since they told him the film was as bad or worse than Green Lantern. lol LR clearly loved it.

Devin saying it's "the worst modern CBM" but liked the F4 reboot is...something. lol

Maybe he walked into a screening of the latest Adam Sandler movie? He also said the theater was empty... that's some hyperbole he's using.

Faraci trashed Batman Begins, was ok with TDK but once The Avengers was released he turned on it and started trashing it.

There's no way he wasn't going to trash this movie, being shitting on it for almost 3 years now.

Wait, he doesn't like TDK and Batman Begins?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Faraci trashed Batman Begins, was ok with TDK but once The Avengers was released he turned on it and started trashing it.

There's no way he wasn't going to trash this movie, being shitting on it for almost 3 years now.

How is a review score of C+ (by EW) rotten?

so a reviewer could theoretically give a movie a 10/10 and still mark it rotten??
am I understanding that right?

Generally alignment of critical opinion has some merit at bare minimum. Critics aren't the be all or end all but they usually have some reason.

It's not like critics are out lambast superhero movies. They just don't like bad ones.

Now the thing to note is that individual opinions will vary. It's okay to make your own judgement. It's silly to act like execs won't care about reviews though. This movie will make bank solely based on name alone, but people aren't going to be back for more if the franchise they envision starts off with a critical dud. Its about the long haul.

but word of mouth easily trumps critics reviews. and to be honest I'm not convinced about the bolded. I am convinced that since top critics feel that certain genres should remain in a certain lane and that's why you see reviews like these.

because they feel that CBM should never be "dark" or anything of the sort and if they are that the superheroics should take a backseat. I don't care either way, I've been wanting to see a movie with these two characters for a long time.

I thought it looked awful, and the overall OT reaction was the same. Not sure if that's bias, because I hated MoS, but could totally be guilty of that sure. I'm also sure based on what I've read that if you like MoS, you'll prob like this - so that's cool.

you are not GAF and have you got proof that the OT reaction was negative? a bold claim like that would need proof. but I don't care either way, it's quite obvious that the critic review and public review will be split again.

WhiteWolf

And also tweet out spoilers minutes after embargo lifted.

I swear being a DC fan feels like being a Sega fan, people are just inclined to hate it. And other stuff gets a pass for doing the same thing.

PBY

Banned
you are not GAF and have you got proof that the OT reaction was negative? a bold claim like that would need proof. but I don't care either way, it's quite obvious that the critic review and public review will be split again.

Dude come on. Its not a bold claim, I've read many times in this very community thread about how the OT hated on the trailers. I mean - the trailer threads are still readable, go back and check those out.

Simo

I'd imagine those outlets/bloggers etc would have a bit of slant given they weren't invited to the junket. Well I mean, I guess the ones who were vocal about it.

Also GQ's review...jesus christ. lol

So if it changes to fresh do you change your tune or just disregard it?

PBY

Banned
So if it changes to fresh do you change your tune or just disregard it?

No? I still think it looks bad based on me really not liking MoS or Snyder. Will still watch though, its definitely a hugely zeitgeisty film. Also, I'm sure the action will be cool.

Also - not trying to shit on yall's parade, just got a lot of shit for saying the trailers looked rough to me.

Penguin

Are you okay Penguin? =)

I'm peachy.

I always tell folks, my favorite and least favorite part of seeing a movie early is being one with your thoughts.

I've seen it twice, I know what I like and don't like about it.

Expected mixed reactions to some of it, but funnily enough stuff I had issues with doesn't seem to be as big of an issue to many so eh

Avengers Age of Ultron is a masterpiece according to that hack.

Ninjimbo

So I took a peak at that rotten meter. Boy, do I hate being right all the time. I hope it goes up but this is going to be another Watchmen.

As a sidenote, I got annoyed when one of the blurbs was akin to "For god sakes, tell a joke." Seriously? Not this shit again.

WhiteWolf

so a reviewer could theoretically give a movie a 10/10 and still mark it rotten??
am I understanding that right?
Yeah, I figured if a score wasn't present, RT would have a classification model to determine whether a review is rotten or not, similar to a spam classifier. But if a score is present, just pull that in (and map letter grades to appropriate numerical values).

Simo

CeMAi3aUsAAe3gf.jpg:large

Also these sites and critics that don't like it are now openly spoiling it on Twitter so time to quit that for a few days. Jesus.

a916

Yeah, I'm going to have to disregard anything he says from now on...

This is the same dude that wanted to dance on someone's grave or something and got into it with Tom Hardy? He's just a terrible human being and his reviews are something I don't understand.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Give it time guys. Up to 41 so if anything it's trending up. I really don't care about what a bunch of people who hate superhero movies and think they all have to be upbeat think anyway.

It's too dark and not funny isn't a criticism because I know for a fact they have given dark and serious movies great scores in the past. Then the issue becomes them judging a movie based on what they think it should be rather than what it is and that is poor form.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Some of you care too much about reviews, fun to discuss and all of that but cancelling tickets or being upset? At the end of the day you are just reading another opinion, nothing more, nothing less. We expected it to be like this (well maybe a little higher as far as the RT meter goes), so no surprise there. Just chill, watch it and make up your own mind.

Also, almost forgot: seeing this within 24 hours! Whoooop, finally.

I can only hold the optimism that the fact that the score will hopefully continue to rise. I'd be happy in the late 50, early 60 percentage. But honestly, I'll care most about what I think.

strafer

I'm peachy.

I always tell folks, my favorite and least favorite part of seeing a movie early is being one with your thoughts.

I've seen it twice, I know what I like and don't like about it.

Expected mixed reactions to some of it, but funnily enough stuff I had issues with doesn't seem to be as big of an issue to many so eh

2lHZ1.gif

jey_16

Banned
I don't get the whole joke thing.....it's not like the TDK trilogy was a laugh a minute either. Maybe people just expect everything to be like a marvel film these days

No? I still think it looks bad based on me really not liking MoS or Snyder. Will still watch though, its definitely a hugely zeitgeisty film. Also, I'm sure the action will be cool.

Also - not trying to shit on yall's parade, just got a lot of shit for saying the trailers looked rough to me.
I see. Then why use the current tomato meter to validate your position? I remember you've been negative from the start, it's poor form using things unsettled at the point they are convenient to you.

You seem to have a dogmatic position on this movie for reasons unknown to me, except for your dislike for Snyder (I don't know if you know him or something) and MOS. I do hope you like it or at least are entertained by it. Time will tell if the movie sucks as some claim or not.

Simo

From its performances to story structure to action sequences to effects, cinematography and editing, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice rates between competent to great across the board, and is very often riveting along the way, constantly building and surprising. And although it may suffer from a tiny bit of excess in the third act (again), if nothing else the film is beautiful to look at and listen to (we’ll say it one last time – operatic). Whatever Snyder's shortcomings, it is not technical craft.

Is it grim? Any story co-starring a Miller-esque Batman that thinks Superman is a threat to humanity has to be, but knowledgeable fans will be able to see the strings Snyder pulls in the over-the-top final action sequence to blunt a repeat of the oft-criticized Superman-Zod showdown.

Yes, like Man of Steel, Batman v Superman is serious, grandiose, and self-important, and certainly not for kids. But whereas another retelling of Superman’s origin wasn't an ideal match for Snyder's big ambitions and directorial leanings, here in the first live-action meeting of the icons and the beginnings of the movie Justice League, its unabashed grand scale and uniquely profound tone is a much more natural – and ultimately winning and welcome – fit.
http://www.newsarama.com/28508-revi...y-succeeds-where-man-of-steel-fell-short.html

I don't get the whole joke thing.....it's not like the TDK trilogy was a laugh a minute either. Maybe people just expect everything to be like a marvel film these days
I think the rumor of the 'no jokes' policy might have heavily tainted it, and when that rumor was shot down, some took it as meaning this movie is as much of a comedy as it is a superhero movie.

rokero

So I took a peak at that rotten meter. Boy, do I hate being right all the time. I hope it goes up but this is going to be another Watchmen.

As a sidenote, I got annoyed when one of the blurbs was akin to "For god sakes, tell a joke." Seriously? Not this shit again.

they think all superheroes should be wisecracking funny asshats

PBY

Banned
I see. Then why use the current tomato meter to validate your position? I remember you've been negative from the start, it's poor form using things unsettled at the point they are convenient to you.

You seem to have a dogmatic position on this movie for reasons unknown to me, except for your dislike for Snyder (I don't know if you know him or something) and MOS. I do hope you like it or at least are entertained by it. Time will tell if the movie sucks as some claim or not.

I just was in the trailer threads saying it looked bad, and that I had no faith in Snyder or the fact that this was a sequel to MoS. Given that the reviews are in line with MoS, and actually slightly lower, I'm expecting more of the same.

I got shit on for saying that in those threads though by certain posters. On the flip side - it seems in line with MoS, so I think a ton of people will be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom