• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

I am convinced Justice League will be cancelled or delayed but I dont know what WB can do right now. Do they go back to Nolan? I dont think Nolan can direct anyone apart from Batman and is probably not interested to go back to Super hero movies.

I am just fascinated by what they can possibly do now. Can any of these actors be used at all in the future movies? A long road ahead and I think WB will see significant changes to the management team after this disastrous reception.

No you cannot have a movie containing two of the most iconic heroes and have it be this badly received.

Here's what they're going to do: maybe get someone else to direct Justice League Part 2 and announce a solo Batman film directed by Affleck at Comic-Con (perhaps Green Lantern casting as well). That's it. Suicide Squad is happening in a few months, Wonder Woman is done shooting and is coming next year and Justice League is about to start principle photography with Snyder at the helm.

These doomsday theories people are throwing around are a tad silly. At worst they're just going to not let Snyder touch Superman or Batman anymore after Justice League. Unless BVS is an absolutely miserable failure at the box office, I don't think WB will be at DEFCON 1 like everybody thinks.

Just a bit of trivia and for those jokingly mentioning George Miller. He and WB are not on good terms right now so even to entertain removing Snyder...Miller ain't gonna be the replacement. lol

Why are they not on good terms?

only 27 there are still hundreds of reviews to go, hope it reaches 70+RT
I don't think it will climb that high, but I think people should know this will probably end with 200-220 reviews on RT. We've seen like 50-60 as of now? I think 60RT is the mountain top. It seems some critics still have to see the movie, hearing it being a trainwreck and seeing it might actually help inflate late reviews.

I feel some are overreacting. JS is still happening.

I just want Ben Solo Batman film with him directing. I feel he can do something great and WB loves him right now so he might have creative freedom

a916

I got the impression Frosty was caught off-guard by the embargo time. Right before 6pm EDT, he tweeted "Wait, it ends at 3pm PST?" or something like that.

But it's not like he rights reviews... a thumbs up or a something would've sufficed. Does he?

jackdoe

Here's what they're going to do: maybe get someone else to direct Justice League Part 2 and announce a solo Batman film directed by Affleck at Comic-Con. That's it. Suicide Squad is happening in a few months, Wonder Woman is done shooting and is coming next year and Justice League is about to start principle photography with Snyder at the helm.

These doomsday theories people are throwing around are a tad silly. At worst they're just going to not let Snyder touch Superman or Batman anymore after Justice League. Unless BVS is an absolutely miserable failure at the box office, I don't think WB will be at DEFCON 1 like everybody thinks.
They may also go to DEFCON 1 if it underperforms (not bombs) AND the Cinemascore is a C- (we're talking Fantastic 4 reboot levels here). I personally don't think it will come to that.

strafer

Well yeah, Nolans Trilogy will not be touched for a while.

Not even Ben can I'm afraid.

Everything Batrelated will always be compared to Nolan's Trilogy.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why critics keep bringing up Nolan's movies. Unless there is some director as talented as Nolan who is going to direct one of these CBM, we won't see anything of that level again. Pure from a filmmaking standpoint all these other CBM's pale in comparison. Nolan was waaay too good for all of this stuff.

Simo

If they do not pull the plug than the brand is done for. This is not same situation as Transformers. You have a bunch of films that are dependent on each other. Having a Superman movie suck is going to make people less likely to see a Flash movie or a Cyborg movie. Saying Man of Steel earned 800 million is not going to diminish the dangers its poor critical reception does. Not to mention poor wom, stigma and ridicule in the online channels for the next few years etc.. This is a huge problem for DC and there is going to be some serious repercussions to this reception. There is no way they get Snyder back. He may continue in a producer's role but that is about it. I feel sorry for the guy because he clearly loves comics and is a nice person but unfortunately I do not see this going any other way.

Fixed because folks said the exact same shit 3 years ago. Not meaning to be an ass or rude to you mate but reception from the critics? WB won't care about that unless it affects the BO and we won't know that for a while but on the other end of the spectrum you had a widely acclaimed, award winning, film like Mad Max: Fury Road and the critics opinion did shit to the grosses and why we don't have a sequel to that, and likely never will because WB put more money into that than they got out of it.

PBY

Banned
Fixed because folks said the exact same shit 3 years ago. Not meaning to be an ass or rude to you mate but reception from the critics? WB won't care about that unless it affects the BO and we won't know that for a while but on the other end of the spectrum you had a widely acclaimed, award winning, film like Mad Max: Fury Road and the critics opinion did shit to the grosses and why we don't have a sequel to that, and likely never will because WB put more money into that than they got out of it.

You don't think the reviews helped Mad Max?

a916

I don't know why critics keep bringing up Nolan's movies. Unless there is some director as talented as Nolan who is going to direct one of these CBM, we won't see anything of that level again. Pure from a filmmaking standpoint all these other CBM's pale in comparison. Nolan was waaay too good for all of this stuff.

I hope they delay and toss money at Lord and Miller to do the Flash movie as was rumored... instead of the unproven director route.

I feel some are overreacting. JS is still happening.

I just want Ben Solo Batman film with him directing. I feel he can do something great and WB loves him right now so he might have creative freedom

You want Kylo Ren to be Batman? They're owned by different media conglomerates, dude.

Dude come on. Its not a bold claim, I've read many times in this very community thread about how the OT hated on the trailers. I mean - the trailer threads are still readable, go back and check those out.

and I've read the opposite. you made the claim, you have to prove it.

CeMAi3aUsAAe3gf.jpg:large

Also these sites and critics that don't like it are now openly spoiling it on Twitter so time to quit that for a few days. Jesus.

perfect example of a critic contradicting himself.

The good thing that comes out of this?

Snyder is gone. We can rejoice.

But maybe, DC characters just can't make it on the big screen anymore. Not even Batman. Of course we truly won't know for sure until after Suicide Squad.

I'm betting he's not.

a916

I think the fan reactions helped Mad Max.

I would argue critics very rarely make an impact Box Office wise

Other than John Carter

Nah, they've shown studies that RT has a tangible affect on box office score. For helping and hurting.

If this movie was sitting at 95 instead of a 30, that might be a difference of 200M to the box office.

What is this Miller and WB on bad terms rumor?

Review thread is funny. The scores aren't surprising me, but some of the quotes pulled and posted are untrue.

WhiteWolf

Maybe in another 80 minutes we will see another flood of reviews due to the embargo confusion? Frosty can't be the only one who is sticking with the 9PM EST embargo.

EDIT: beaten

Simo

You don't think the reviews helped Mad Max?

Not really no. It didn't even open at number 1 at the BO for opening weekend.

Not much, apparently. Best action movie so far this decade and really disappointing numbers despite reviews backing it to the hilt.

I think the fan reactions helped Mad Max.

I would argue critics very rarely make an impact Box Office wise

Other than John Carter
This.

wtf Miller and WB on bad terms
Nononononnononono

WB wants their cheddar back!

rokero

Is it naive of me to entertain the notion that this rush of negative reviews this first wave could be the media outlets trying to get as many clicks as possible ? be the first to post the bad review the controversial one ect ect, now I'm not saying there wont be more bad reviews of course there'll be what I mean is I expect it to be more evened out now that the first hours of the embargo are up

GeeTeeCee

I think even if a slew of positive reviews begin to pile up (a big if) a lot of damage will have already been done by the early onslaught of negative reviews. Those reviews will form the narrative going forward.

I may as well go to sleep and see where things stand in the morning.

Nah, they've shown studies that RT has a tangible affect on box office score. For helping and hurting.

If this movie was sitting at 95 instead of a 30, that might be a difference of 200M to the box office.

Huh really? Wow.

Do you have any links to that article

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Not much, apparently. Best action movie so far this decade and really disappointing numbers despite reviews backing it to the hilt.

It would not have even earned that much without the review buzz about best action movie. Here is the thing - Reviews dont guarantee success but it sure can help it.

Let us say BVS earns 1 billion now. Surely you dont think good critical reception and wom online would not have helped it gross higher? People will see this for the novelty of seeing Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman in the same screen but are not going to go to the theaters just to see another poorly received movie starring these characters in the justice league. I think all of you are really underestimating the power of social media these days to influence brand perception.

At least that is my view. Lets see how it plays out. If Snyder is retained for Justice League 1 then I do not have much faith in the future of this universe which is sad since I absolutely adore Bats and Supes more than any other superhero.

Not really no. It didn't even open at number 1 at the BO for opening weekend.

I want to say it more or less opened where it was tracking even though WB lifted the embargo almost a week early due to the overwhelming love the film was getting from critics.

BTM

It didn't help Edge of Tomorrow :(

a916

Huh really? Wow.

Do you have any links to that article

I wish I did, I remember Collider Movie Talk talking about it. They talked about it making a difference, but not a do or die kind of thing. They were talking about it in regards to guessing Star Wars BO return and how a difference in quality would allow the Transformer movies to make more money. The number Campea threw out was instead of making 1B it would do 1.2B as an example.

Boke1879

It would not have even earned that much without the review buzz about best action movie. Here is the thing - Reviews dont guarantee success but it sure can help it.

Let us say BVS earns 1 billion now. Surely you dont think good critical reception and wom online would not have helped it gross higher? People will see this for the novelty of seeing Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman in the same screen but are not going to go to the theaters just to see another poorly received movie starring these characters in the justice league. I think all of you are really underestimating the power of social media these days to influence brand perception.

At least that is my view. Lets see how it plays out. If Snyder is retained for Justice League 1 then I do not have much faith in the future of this universe which is sad since I absolutely adore Bats and Supes more than any other superhero.

JL starts shooting soon. Unless they delay it he's not coming off that movie.

Simo

I want to say it more or less opened where it was tracking even though WB lifted the embargo almost a week early due to the overwhelming love the film was getting from critics.

True that but thats because it surprised the hell out of WB. Here's the thing: WB had absolutely no clue what to do with the film. They ran 5 test screenings over 12 months for it and even tried to do their own studio PG-13 cut that was received horribly by testers. WB actually told licensors wanting to try and get a piece of the IP for merchandising, not to bother because the film was "terrible".

Not that WB could of done so anyway since Miller owns the Mad Max license. lol

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I think even if a slew of positive reviews begin to pile up (a big if) a lot of damage will have already been done by the early onslaught of negative reviews. Those reviews will form the narrative going forward.

I may as well go to sleep and see where things stand in the morning.
Haha. No way. 99.9% of earths population doesn't follow this stuff like we do.

bryanee

Which is why I am predicting WB will delay it.

The only way they will delay is if this movie bombs at the box office and that's not happening. They start filming next month, its much too close to do anything other than be a little more involved with the first JL flick and then start moving things around.

Which is why I am predicting WB will delay it.

And have another BvS situation on their hands? Part of this film's problem is the extra 6-8 months sitting on the shelf collecting divided reactions because of the slight delay to filming in 2014 which caused them to miss their July 2015 release date. I bet WB wanted to put this film out real bad in the October - December window but couldn't because it was already crowded with blockbusters.

IconGrist

Unless BvS hits under 700-800 million WW and the audience reaction is abysmal Snyder is safe. They will adjust some things for JL at worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom