• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would not have even earned that much without the review buzz about best action movie. Here is the thing - Reviews dont guarantee success but it sure can help it.

Let us say BVS earns 1 billion now. Surely you dont think good critical reception and wom online would not have helped it gross higher? People will see this for the novelty of seeing Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman in the same screen but are not going to go to the theaters just to see another poorly received movie starring these characters in the justice league. I think all of you are really underestimating the power of social media these days to influence brand perception.

At least that is my view. Lets see how it plays out. If Snyder is retained for Justice League 1 then I do not have much faith in the future of this universe which is sad since I absolutely adore Bats and Supes more than any other superhero.

Of course every little bit helps. Good reviews are better than bad reviews, no question. I'm just arguing that out of the 3 things people think of that determine box office success (critical reception, audience WOM, and miscellaneous x-factors like release window and all sorts of other stuff), critical reception isn't such a big deal these days. Death of old media and all that.

jackdoe

I really can't wait for the film to release so I can see it for myself and see how the general audience likes it. Who knows? It could be the reverse of "Hail Caesar!".

zRa6iKt.png

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Unless BvS hits under 700-800 million WW and the audience reaction is abysmal Snyder is safe. They will adjust some things for JL at worst.

So, for this they got rid of Goyer. For JL surely Snyder (if it happens).

See, they are getting there!

So. How are we holding up.

Still excited to see it for myself and form my own opinion. Was it somewhat disappointing to see it get ripped apart for a 30 minute period when the embargo lifted? Sure, but I started to get the feeling it would happen earlier in the day regardless of all the stuff we heard over the past week, so I was kind of prepared in a weird way.

I will admit, I am a big enough DC fanboy to be bummed out atm. I'm sure I'll love the movie (because, hey, fanboy), but I'm not looking forward to being greeted with jordanlaughing.gif every time I admit as much from here on out.

And I mean hey, maybe the next embargo wave is much more positive, the thing ends up fresh, and/or audiences love it and this thing gets turned around. But right now, I'm feeling down. No shame in admitting it.

a916

Bummed because I was hoping this film would've been received better because it would bode well for JL and the future of the DCEU.

On my own enjoyment? No real effect because the people I trust said it's really good so it's a but puzzling to see this division.

Ninjimbo

Nah, they've shown studies that RT has a tangible affect on box office score. For helping and hurting.

If this movie was sitting at 95 instead of a 30, that might be a difference of 200M to the box office.
I can believe that. Too many people use that meter as an end all be all measure of quality and it's unfortunate because a lot of quality films are dismissed immediately if it doesn't have the right number like Speed Racer.

I always want to ask those people if they would rather watch The Babadook or Man of Steel based on the meter just for laughs.

a916

Unless there's a massive push, it's settling in on this sub 50 review.

Granted we'll end up with at least 200 more reviews, but I don't expect things to really change.

jrush64

Banned
I'm not happy it's getting bad reviews I expected it because there's always been a negative air around Snyder and the movie.

However no review can stop me from watching and enjoying it.

work at the office has been a pain today but it's done now.
critics reviews don't affect me one way or the other. it's obvious very few critics know how to be objective or know how to review any piece of media on it's own merits rather than what they think it should be. I am going to watch it this weekend and again next week.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
It will stay around 40%, maybe drop even lower for the final score. But who gives a fuck, I've hated movies that had great scores and loved movies with bad ones. Main thing for me is that WB keeps on track, I love what they are doing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm pissed these characters deserve better, DC fans deserve better.

Oh well, back to The Flash.

It's weird how I put so much stock into video game reviews but could care less about movie reviews.

I'm still hyped as fuck. Seeing Wonder Woman kick ass.... Ugh my body is ready.

It's weird how I put so much stock into video game reviews but could care less about movie reviews.

I'm still hyped as fuck. Seeing Wonder Woman kick ass.... Ugh my body is ready.

As sad as I am about the reception for this movie I agree. When video games get bad scores they usually really do suck ass. But I've loved lots of movies with less than 50% rotten tomatoes scores and hated critical darlings.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm still waiting to see it before I form my own opinion; however, IF the movie sucks and it forces WB to reboot, I hope they go for a more traditional Lex (preferably played by Bryan Cranston) and I think it would be perfectly acceptable to introduce the world as a world where superheroes are already known to exist. I feel like that's my main problem with the MCU -- it's that every film has essentially a world destroying event that's occurring BUT the only time the Avengers ever appear is during an Avengers' film. Even Winter Soldier referenced a threat to other heroes, but those heroes never appeared even when you would think they should.

Also, as far as Lex goes, I'm more than willing to accept Eisenberg's less than traditional version. It's just that if that version fails, then I would want to see a normal version that doesn't care about real estate like the Donnerverse.

I think, instead, any solo films should be before the team films, and any team film should be after all solo films. Unless it's a villain that's street level and the hero in question can deal with him.

I think WB had the right idea with how to start this anyway. Man of Steel is the catalyst in which heroes come into play. A world destroying event like this hasn't occurred before so there was no need for WW, Aquaman, etc. to reveal themselves. Batman's threats aren't typically ones that'll threat anyone outside Gotham.

With that said, it's very possible that I'll love BvS as long as the plot is consistent (no plot holes, generally good story). I'm getting rid of any preconceived notions I have about Batman or Superman. I'm okay with them taking liberties if it makes for a great character and story. Ten years ago, I wouldn't say that ever though.

Draconian

So some of these complaints in the reviews actually make me more excited to see this lol. One thing I'm not excited about is waiting until next Friday to see it because that's the earliest my friend can go. I suppose I should bail out of these threads sometime this week to make sure I don't get spoiled. On the bright side, it gives me a chance to rewatch Watchmen and MoS before going to see it.

I think a reboot would be out of the cards, at least not one in the next decade. They're afraid of touching GL until 2019, almost 8 years later from their last attempt.

The craziest thing to happen would be a delay on justice league with a new director and another film shifts up to take it's place. Maybe a Batman solo.

Effect

Done. Going to do something else tonight. Watch Flash and do something else and see where things are in the morning. Especially when it comes to some people I know who's taste are similar. Still going Thursday night and again Friday with other family. I only want the score higher to stop some of the BS seen in other threads. People wishing and hoping the film and general endeavor fails.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I think a reboot would be out of the cards, at least not one in the next decade. They're afraid of touching GL until 2019, almost 8 years later from their last attempt.

The craziest thing to happen would be a delay on justice league with a new director and another film shifts up to take it's place. Maybe a Batman solo.

They could do it but it would have to sprout from another solo film, just to introduce the idea. They couldn't jump straight into Justice League with a new cast. I don't think a reboot will happen either.

VenomBoss

Banned
Hey guys don't mean to mess the thread but this just really aggrevates me. I mean this image has been making the rounds all over twitter and even here on GAF. Just really funny to see the same writer praising Age of Ultron so much.

saPwEaT.png

RN4ZmV4.png

jey_16

Banned
Just watched the latest tv spot and I can help but feel the hype

Kind of regretting not going for the midnight session now

a916

Hey guys don't mean to mess the thread but this just really aggrevates me. I mean this image has been making the rounds all over twitter and even here on GAF. Just really funny to see the same writer praising Age of Ultron so much.

saPwEaT.png

RN4ZmV4.png

To be honest, I don't like the quips or the terrible character development for the villains... but I don't have that big of a problem with AOU.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to question how critics can like the likes of Interstellar when it's all bleak and depressing and shit.

Hey, Interstellar was fantastic.

But yeah, I guess they only tolerated it with Nolan and don't really like this tone for their superhero movies? I dunno. That RT thread just keeps on giving, so fun to read.

Dcube

I couldn't care less about reviews, it still looks fun and I have no doubt it'll kick ass. MoS was awesome, and this looks better so I'm still eagerly waiting for Thursday to get here.

I'm pissed these characters deserve better, DC fans deserve better.

Oh well, back to The Flash.

did you see the movie?

saPwEaT.png

RN4ZmV4.png

maybe she just likes blondes instead of brunettes?
edit: but it's all there in the review. "witticism" in other words there are lots of critics who think Superhero movies should be full of one-liners and never be serious.

Hey, Interstellar was fantastic.

But yeah, I guess they only tolerated it with Nolan and don't really like this tone for their superhero movies? I dunno. That RT thread just keeps on giving, so fun to read.

I wish I could run experiments in a vacuum. I'd love to release BvS with Nolan's name attached to it as the director just to see the response. I bet it'd be a lot different.

rokero

I just don't get it...I appreciate that there have been some great films in the MCU and I'm excited for Civil War but how can tripe like Thor The Dark World and Ant-Man review so well....

Reading some of the reviews the answer is pretty easy Comedy, Comedy and some more dumb motherfucking Comedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom