• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

I just don't get it...I appreciate that there have been some great films in the MCU and I'm excited for Civil War but how can tripe like Thor The Dark World and Ant-Man review so well....

People like their action movies simple. We see it in Marvel movies, we see it in the Fast and Furious franchise. Mindless action that doesn't take itself too seriously with decent set pieces. As soon as you try to add some depth (whether successful or not) you get extremely polarizing opinions. It's weird and I don't get it either.

Boke1879

I wish I could run experiments in a vacuum. I'd love to release BvS with Nolan's name attached to it as the director just to see the response. I bet it'd be a lot different.

There are some people on this very forum who wanted this movie to fail and are happy with the way it's reviewing. And yes people will pin it on the director.

And yea reading some of the reviews. It seems they either went in or were hoping this would be similar to the marvel movies

I just don't get it...I appreciate that there have been some great films in the MCU and I'm excited for Civil War but how can tripe like Thor The Dark World and Ant-Man review so well....

They're safe. They don't go out of there way to really rock the boat and therefore live on 3/5 reviews which leads to good RT scores due to aggregation.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
People like their action movies simple. We see it in Marvel movies, we see it in the Fast and Furious franchise. Mindless action that doesn't take itself too seriously with decent set pieces. As soon as you try to add some depth (whether successful or not) you get extremely polarizing opinions. It's weird and I don't get it either.
Then bring it on. I like to be thinking during a movie. Trying to figure out what's going on. I like MCU movies and see everyone in the theater but after I leave I stop thinking about it. Give me something with substance that is at least is trying to challenge me.

Ashhong

LMAO

Ahasverus' arc in this thread has been such a joy to witness.

I can't tell if he is serious anymore. I could have sworn earlier he said something about not caring about reviews.

Then bring it on. I like to be thinking during a movie. Trying to figure out what's going on. I like MCU movies and see everyone in the theater but after I leave I stop thinking about it. Give me something with substance that is at least is trying to challenge me.

I agree. I have no problem with MCU movies, love them. But there's no denying they are much safer than MoS was. It's so easy to make a movie that's just the origin of Superman, learning to save people and then fight a big bad, mixed with some humor. At least they are trying something different. I almost wish they would go the MCU route because I want them to succeed, but at the same time I want these types of movies more.

a916

I think Superman and Batman carry with them heavy heavy chains of burden because of the expectations and anything that goes against that will come with resistance.

It also doesn't help when you try to make a serious movie because fans are less than likely to forgive any slight issues because the goal is to have fun and not think.

I'm not saying that other movies are dumb and this is too smart, but trying to do a smart movie carries with it a different set of rules than a fun light hearted one.

LMAO

Ahasverus' arc in this thread has been such a joy to witness.

Did he just come out of the screening? lol

guek

Banned
I think the biggest mistake WB could make here on out though is try to crib from Marvel's playbook. The last time the studio tried that, we got Green Lantern.

It's fine to take a more auteur approach to the DCEU but Snyder wasn't the best guy for the job. I'm still confident though that Ayer is gonna knock it out of the park with Suicide Squad.

a916

EDIT: That RT is actually dropping slowly...

I've avoided most of the reviews outside of the general score and have nothing to say because I haven't watched the movie yet.

But I really really hope the criticism is valid and well thought out. I got tired of reading Man of Steel reviews going "there's not enough humor!" It's not trying to be funny though... "that's not mah superman", it's not trying to be, it's a re-imagining... none of that is valid criticism because that's not something the movie was ever trying to be.

Ashhong

I think Superman and Batman carry with them heavy heavy chains of burden because of the expectations and anything that goes against that will come with resistance.

It also doesn't help when you try to make a serious movie because fans are less than likely to forgive any slight issues because the goal is to have fun and not think.

I'm not saying that other movies are dumb and this is too smart, but trying to do a smart movie carries with it a different set of rules than a fun light hearted one.

Did he just come out of the screening? lol

It will be interesting to see how Civil War does. It seems like a smarter movie than previous MCU, but still has that light feel to make the viewer still feel good about themselves. I am expecting 90%+ for that one based on the reviews this is getting.

Sure was a lot of comedy in those Nolan Batman films...

The tastes and criteria have changed since Avengers, honestly. I'm kind of wondering if the Nolan films would be as well received if they were released today.

Note that I'm not wholly ascribing BvS' critical reception to that, nor am I saying that it's as good as the Nolan trilogy, just wondering about how the different environment would alter perception and reception of the movies.

duckroll

I don't see why it is so hard to understand. Marvel movies don't really "review well" overall. That's an illusion due to people having an incorrect perception of how the systems in place work.

Thor The Dark World has a RT score of 66%. That means 66% of critics thought it was better than 5/10 by their review metric. Due to the way scores work, reviewers generally would not give a film something less than 3/5 or 6/10 or whatever, unless it was truly wretched or they have an emotional disagreement with the content. The actual average for Thor The Dark World is 6.2/10 on RT, and 54 on Metacritic. That's a middling movie, not a good one.

On the other hand, when you make ambitious films with themes that try to challenge the audience, you're setting a higher bar for your film. It means if your movie doesn't deliver on those higher expectations, or if critics disagree with your presentation of those themes, the reaction will be stronger. Man of Steel set itself up as a Nolan-style remake of Superman, took itself really seriously, and was filled with religious analogy. Those things all bring certain expectations, and Snyder just wasn't able to capitalize on that to satisfy the expectations. BvS seems to be following a similar pattern but with even more ambition. Snyder has a ton of heart, but he just isn't that great at being that sort of director.

rokero

Sure was a lot of comedy in those Nolan Batman films...

That was before Marvel changed the game whith the first Iron Man movie in 2008 once the Marvel formula got into full effect if the movie doesn't have a light funny tone and after credit scene it's gonna have a tough time, look at the blurbs in the BvS RT page and its full of too serious wait for the next Marvel movie that's some bullshit right there

guek

Banned
It will be interesting to see how Civil War does. It seems like a smarter movie than previous MCU, but still has that light feel to make the viewer still feel good about themselves. I am expecting 90%+ for that one based on the reviews this is getting.

If it's dark, and I mean like really dark - Steve/Tony dying, ending a moral defeat instead of a victory, etc - it has a really good chance of getting away with it because Spider-man and Ant-Man will bring a lot of levity to the material. I was kinda hoping Alfred would be able to do that for BvS based on some of his clips. I don't mean ha-ha funny or goofy like the aforementioned marvel characters but just some well needed levity.

Maybe he does though, I haven't seen BvS yet :p

I don't see why it is so hard to understand. Marvel movies don't really "review well" overall. That's an illusion due to people having an incorrect perception of how the systems in place work.

Thor The Dark World has a RT score of 66%. That means 66% of critics thought it was better than 5/10 by their review metric. Due to the way scores work, reviewers generally would not give a film something less than 3/5 or 6/10 or whatever, unless it was truly wretched or they have an emotional disagreement with the content. The actual average for Thor The Dark World is 6.2/10 on RT, and 54 on Metacritic. That's a middling movie, not a good one.

I wouldn't even say Thor 2's 66% is "good." It's a pretty middling reception as is.

I think the biggest mistake WB could make here on out though is try to crib from Marvel's playbook. The last time the studio tried that, we got Green Lantern.

It's fine to take a more auteur approach to the DCEU but Snyder wasn't the best guy for the job. I'm still confident though that Ayer is gonna knock it out of the park with Suicide Squad.

Can't go the Marvel route now. It'd be too obvious and they'd get ripped apart for that. So they're in a lose-lose position. It's time to double down and come out shooting. I just think that approach means the fringe characters just got put on ice because they'll try to limit the financial risk going forward.

The tastes and criteria have changed since Avengers, honestly. I'm kind of wondering if the Nolan films would be as well received if they were released today.

Note that I'm not wholly ascribing BvS' critical reception to that, nor am I saying that it's as good as the Nolan trilogy, just wondering about how the different environment would alter perception and reception of the movies.

I really dont think they would have

'Too Dark'
'Too Violent'
'Where are the Jokes?'

A quote to foster the togetherness of the minority not freaking out.

No one in this world, so far as I know—and I have researched the records for years, and employed agents to help me—has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people.
H.L. Mencken

Can't go the Marvel route now. It'd be too obvious and they'd get ripped apart for that. So they're in a lose-lose position. It's time to double down and come out shooting. I just think that approach means the fringe characters just got put on ice because they'll try to limit the financial risk going forward.

they're already going the marvel route with wonder woman, aquaman and flash tbh.

hell they freaking hired a director for wonder woman that was initially on thor 2 back in the day.

the only big outliers that will stand apart (for better or worse) are your batman/supermans and suicide squads. i think the rest of the universe films will be more or less decent mcu-level blockbusters. i'm super interested in batman solo and suicide squad. couldn't care less for the rest although i wish wonder woman success just because of the genre disparity in film and aquaman will be intriguing because you just don't get underwater movies unless cameron makes them. it's so untapped. but i'm not hyped about those.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
did you see the movie?

maybe she just likes blondes instead of brunettes?
edit: but it's all there in the review. "witticism" in other words there are lots of critics who think Superhero movies should be full of one-liners and never be serious.

I haven't seen it, but yesterday's bronsonlee's
throughts deflated my hype considerably specially when he mentioned Batman kills
big red flag and I realized right there and then the movie was going to get shat on today. Snyder just doesn't get these characters, fucking up Superman ok, Superman is not easy to do anyway... But Batman... fucking Batman? Nah, that's, yeah, no excuses. Also Batman was WB big cash cow, I wonder how they feel about all this.

This is why having a Feige pays dividends, that dude isn't going to let some director fuck up a character so much just to put his 'vision' on the property, if you don't respect the character or aren't on board with the tone and aesthetic then you are out. Geoff Johns knows his shit, although I don't agree with some of his choices he knows the universe and the characters, but it's Snyder calling the shots 100% and to him
it's cool that Batman kills and tortures
, well I'm not on board with that. The dude is also obstuse, he knows how much criticism Superman killing Zod drew so he goes on and turns it up to eleven. It's like he wants to prove his point instead of making a good movie that respects the characters.

At least he didn't fuck up Wonder Woman it seems, and Patty Jenkins is a good director but Snyder being Executive Producer has me worried... Suicide Squad has the least Snyder input of all these movies, iirc it was Ayer that came to WB with the treatment and they liked it well enough to green light it.

Cooter

they're already going the marvel route with wonder woman, aquaman and flash tbh.

hell they freaking hired a director for wonder woman that was initially on thor 2 back in the day.

the only big outliers that will stand apart are your batman/supermans and suicide squads. i think the rest of the universe films will be more or less decent mcu-level blockbusters.
Jesus I hope you're wrong. We don't need anymore MCU type movies. There are already a ton that have been released with a dozen more coming.

Ashhong

If it's dark, and I mean like really dark - Steve/Tony dying, ending a moral defeat instead of a victory, etc - it has a really good chance of getting away with it because Spider-man and Ant-Man will bring a lot of levity to the material. I was kinda hoping Alfred would be able to do that for BvS based on some of his clips. I don't mean ha-ha funny or goofy like the aforementioned marvel characters but just some well needed levity.

Maybe he does though, I haven't seen BvS yet :p

I wouldn't even say Thor 2's 66% is "good." It's a pretty middling reception as is.

I don't think they even need specifically Spider-Man and Ant man. The whole tone is just lighter and changes all expectations it seems like

i thought it was obvious that would happen? wonder woman aint gonna be some social commentary on feminism in the 1920s or some shit. it's gonna be a captain america 1-esque adventure romp.

and tbh WB could do with some safe and successful blockbusters. they've been getting creamed financially with the risks they've been taking, jupiter ascending and pan just shit their whole year up.

Cooter

i thought it was obvious that would happen? wonder woman aint gonna be some social commentary on feminism in the 1920s or some shit. it's gonna be a captain america 1-esque adventure romp.

and tbh WB could do with some safe and successful blockbusters. they've been getting creamed financially with the risks they've been taking, jupiter ascending and pan just shit their whole year up.
No but if they are cracking jokes every 30 seconds I'm out. AoU was almost unwatchable because of that.

Ahasverus

I can't tell if he is serious anymore. I could have sworn earlier he said something about not caring about reviews.
Fuck the reviews too,most of them is the tired shit of comparing it to Marvel and whatever, what I'm pissed about is that he made a legit mediocre movie with a good script. The story is good, how could he mess up his chance for redemption? How could he make something so unlikable with the PERFECT INGREDIENTS? At this point, I know the DC will be amazing but not because Snyder is some genius hindered by the suits but because more of the script will come out. He must go, plain and simple. Wait until you see Suicide Squad with a 90% RT and a worse story.

I haven't seen it, but yesterday's bronsonlee's throughts deflated my hype considerably specially when he mentioned
Batman kills
big red flag and I realized right there and then the movie was going to get shat on today. Snyder just doesn't get these characters, fucking up Superman ok, Superman is not easy to do anyway... But Batman... fucking Batman? Nah, that's, yeah, no excuses. Also Batman was WB big cash cow, I wonder how they feel about all this.

This is why having a Feige pays dividends, that dude isn't going to let some director fuck up a character so much just to put his 'vision' on the property, if you don't respect the character or aren't on board with the tone and aesthetic then you are out. Geoff Johns knows his shit, although I don't agree with some of his choices he knows the universe and the characters, but it's Snyder calling the shots 100% and to him it's cool that Batman
kills and tortures
, well I'm not on board with that. The dude is also obstuse, he knows how much criticism Superman killing Zod drew so he goes on and turns it up to eleven. It's like he wants to prove his point instead of making a good movie that respects the characters.

At least he didn't fuck up Wonder Woman it seems, and Patty Jenkins is a good director but Snyder being Executive Producer has me worried... Suicide Squad has the least Snyder input of all these movies, iirc it was Ayer that came to WB with the treatment and they liked it well enough to green light it.

I think you need to chill. Give it time and distance to be what's it is without the idiocy of critics reviews and overly pompous buffoons expectations.

Error, this is not how you spoilertag. Seriously, I can easily tell what's in your spoilertaggs just reading the rest. Thankfully, someone spoiled that to me already.

Cooter

Fuck the reviews too,most of them is the tired shit of comparing it to Marvel and whatever, what I'm pissed about is that he made a legit mediocre movie with a good script. The story is good, how could he mess up hos chance for redemption? How could he make something so unlikable with the PERFECT INGREDIENTS? At this point, I know the DC will be amazing but not because Snyder is some genius hindered by the suits but because more of the script will come out. He must go, plain and simple. Waiy until you see Suicide Squad with a 90% RTa and a worse story.
Hey! Wait til you see it before you declare it mediocre.

IconGrist

Fuck the reviews too,most of them is the tired shit of comparing it to Marvel and whatever, what I'm pissed about is that he made a legit mediocre movie with a good script. The story is good, how could he mess up hos chance for redemption? How could he make something so unlikable with the PERFECT INGREDIENTS? At this point, I know the DC will be amazing but not because Snyder is some genius hindered by the suits but because more of the script will come out. He must go, plain and simple. Waiy until you see Suicide Squad with a 90% RTa and a worse story.

You have basically gone off the deep end. How about you watch the movie first? You may end up completely disagreeing with those negative reviews.

ReiGun

People were chomping at the bit to go at this movie. Even people who were looking forward to it. lol

Just go see it and decide for yourselves guys. The early impressions and some of the reviews clearly show that some people enjoy it.

At least this ensures that BvS will be the most debated film on GAF for the next 3 years. Move over MoS.

Nah. Mercifully, we don't have as long a wait between DC movies with Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, and JLA releasing relatively soon. The very first two at least are poised to make us forget BvS.

Now the Civil War vs BvS summer smackdown that's going to ensue? That's going to be a treat.

jackdoe

You have basically gone off the deep end. How about you watch the movie first? You may end up completely disagreeing with those negative reviews.
He's like the Marvel fans who praised Joss Whedon for Avengers, praised him during the promotional period of Age of Ultron, and then proceeded to throw him under the bus after Age of Ultron was released. Except all occurring within a 24 hour time span.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm cool, just disappointed, I'm sure Suicide Squad is gonna be great and all. But JL is coming off such shaky ground with MoS and BvS. I don't know. They have WW and SS to turn it around and establish some good will, it'll be interesting. I'm pretty sure Snyder is going to get dropped and JL pushed back, McWheeny's prediction might actually turn out to be true after all.

Ahasverus

I will most likely like the movie, but that comes from my pre existent love for the characters and probably some emotional extrapolation. I wanted this movie to have the same effect of TDK. Remember when even non cbm fans were amazed by its quality? When you were proud because your tastes just aligned with the mainstream without sacrificing the nature of the adaptation. This movie had it all, really, all to shine. Except a director, it seems.

I haven't seen it, but yesterday's bronsonlee's throughts deflated my hype considerably specially when he mentioned
Batman kills

This is why having a Feige pays dividends, that dude isn't going to let some director fuck up a character so much just to put his 'vision' on the property, if you don't respect the character or aren't on board with the tone and aesthetic then you are out. Geoff Johns knows his shit, although I don't agree with some of his choices he knows the universe and the characters, but it's Snyder calling the shots 100% and to him it's cool that Batman
kills and tortures

that question wasn't actually directed at you but ok. Batman has killed in most of his movies, Burton and Nolan didn't "get" Batman either I guess. nothing he did in MoS "disrespected" the characters. nothing. I would rather the film take chances with the characters than go the safe route. as for Batman not torturing criminals? do you think breaking bones and nearly crippling people is not a form of torture?

I think it's open season on Suicide Squad now. It will be a "good movie on a sinking ship" and people will rate it lower because of that. You'll start to see the narrative change on it. I bet you'll see more of this #NotMyJoker arguments as well. People don't like change and if you're gonna do it, you better hope you become the new measuring stick.

To bring some levity

CeMbC1kWIAANEiT.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom