• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So ah... everyone OK in here?
Not gonna lie, this shitty review score kinda made me slightly depressed today. I knew it wasn't gonna be a 90% movie, but I expected AT LEAST 65% and hoped for 75%. Like, I'm just flabbergasted at how low it is. I keep rethinking what I watched last night to see how it can be possible ::cue the Principle Skinner: Am I out of Touch?.jpg::, but I just can't see it. I want things I like to be liked by other people as stupid as that sounds. It shouldn't bother me, but it does, for at least a week or so. I hope Civil War, X-Men, and Suicide Squad are all 90+ movies too and I'll be a bit bummed if they review badly as well.

Anth0ny

Not gonna lie, this shitty review score kinda made me slightly depressed today. I knew it wasn't gonna be a 90% movie, but I expected AT LEAST 65% and hoped for 75%. Like, I'm just flabbergasted at how low it is.

Same here.

I was at Comic Con when it was announced. I was IN Hall H when Snyder came out with Affleck, Cavil and Gadot and showed the very first footage of the film in 2014. This fucking movie has had me by the balls for 3 years.

It can't be that bad ; _ ;

3N16MA

Banned
Pretty bummed. DC can't catch a fucking break. :(

Still looking forward to watching the movie and it seems it's not as terrible as the scores say, going by the impressions of some members here.

DC was the critic darling with TDK trilogy. Sure, Green Lantern stunk but outside of that Nolan set the bar with critics.

Snyder is doing his best to erase that.

I really hope after this movie and Civil War, the civilian damage plot device is put to rest. You would think Civil War would come out unscathed if it follows the template used by Winter Soldier, but the minimizing damage aspect might have ruined parts of this one and the use of it certainly ruined parts of it for me in Ultron.

Kaswa101

Man, this is depressing. :'( I know I'll love the movie regardless but this is truly saddening. I really wanted DC to have a hit on their hands and the recent positive impressions had me convinced the movie would rock. :(

Oh well. There's still a chance the RT score will go up, right?

Chin up, fellas. Once you watch it, and if you enjoy it the tinniest bit, you can join me in waiting for the director's cut!! World's Greatest 5 Month wait

IconGrist

I'm less than 48 hours away from seeing it for myself. Still just as hyped as I was before today. It'd take a lot more than some "rotten" reviews to stop me from seeing a movie I want to see. Snyder would have to come to my house and dropkick my kids or something. In the end it's just a damn movie.

So ah... everyone OK in here?

Not going to lie, this totally ruined my day. But after realizing that the fans generally loved the film and after a pep talk from my Marvel-fanboy spouse, I'm still very hyped. We've been waiting years to see this movie and it would be stupid to let some snotty ass critics ruin a movie we haven't seen yet. And at the end of the day, the only review that really counts is your own. *cue cheesy ass music*

3N16MA

Banned
Man, this is depressing. :'( I know I'll love the movie regardless but this is truly saddening. I really wanted DC to have a hit on their hands and the recent positive impressions had me convinced the movie would rock. :(

Oh well. There's still a chance the RT score will go up, right?

WB really cares if it's a BO hit.

It ruined me for a bit a while ago, I mean how could it not?

Three years of unending hype

But Im fine now.Excited to see it in Imax

I guess you just got to have a bit of humor about things

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I don't buy that they only care about BO money, it's a big deal obviously, but with good critical reception they would've eliminated in one fell swoop all the negative buzz involving these DC movies.

They obviously care, and RT is a big deal nowadays.

I don't buy that they only care about BO money, it's a big deal obviously, but with good critical reception they would've eliminated in one fell swoop all the negative buzz involving these DC movies.

Yeah I agree. They are obviously going to mind. Buuut at the same the people who genuinely matter in building a universe like thsi are the fans. If it does well financially, then on some level they will be okayish with it

duckroll

It's not that they don't care, but what can they do? I mean even Snyder himself would probably love to have Nolan-tier RT and MC results, while making bank at the BO as well. But the reality is that what Snyder does, and the approach of the DC Universe at large, is not going to get those sort of results. Granted the outcome here is far worse than expected, but this was never going to be a 80+ film ever.

IconGrist

If their movies are well received by the fans WB will likely adjust budgets but not much else. They seem pretty adamant about their more "serious" style.

3N16MA

Banned

It matters to a point. It matters less if this film hits 1B+ WW becuase the BO success is what will be talked about. WB can try again for critical success with SS and Wonder Woman.

It just means Snyder has a shorter leash on Justice League and his departure after that movie is all but confirmed now. He'll probably still float around as a producer and might have some actual say on how to go about things, but his days as a DC director after done after Justice League unless he turns water into wine.

Saya

Just saw the film. I liked it. Affleck is amazing as Batman. Some good, some bad. Overall, pretty solid. 3,5/5 for me. More thoughts later.

Error

It just means Snyder has a shorter leash on Justice League and his departure after that movie is all but confirmed now. He'll probably still float around as a producer and might have some actual say on how to go about things, but his days as a DC director after done after Justice League unless he turns water into wine.

No, if they remove him it needs to be done completely IMO. It's the only way you can get the message of "ok, we fucked up and we are looking to turn this around". If you keep him around you can't get that message across.

Not happy with the review scores, but I will find out on Thursday night if they are warranted. I really want the DCEU to be successful, and seeing people in OT revel in the thought of this being a disaster doesn't help. Ultimately, I know my opinion is the only one that counts for me, but I also want future movies and not yet another reboot.

Here's to hoping the score rises.

No, if they remove him it needs to be done completely IMO. It's the only way you can get the message of "ok, we fucked up and we are looking to turn this around". If you keep him around you can't get that message across.

Here's the thing, I think that was going to be the natural course of things regardless of what happened. I think it's just set in stone now. You're "OK we messed up" message comes at the end of 2017. It will already be too late to convey that sentiment and they're not delaying shit now. You're just gonna have to live with it or move on.

duckroll

That's... not how it works. Studio systems and long spanning film contracts are complex. Once you've a partner in a franchise, it can be very hard to extract without it being really messy or a total fallout. Snyder and his wife are producers on not just BvS and JL, but the entire DCCU slate. Their company is overseeing everything on behalf of WB, and the entire slate is based on work they've mapped out and deals they've arranged with the various directors and so on.

If they want to remove Snyder from the equation completely, they would have to scrap everything and start over. Everything. It would mean not having a new film after Wonder Woman for possibly several years. No way they will do that. There's a reason even Goyer is still an Executive Producer on BvS. Once you're part of a project, it can be hell to completely remove the person.

they likely have to buy out snyder to get him off the director seat too.

it may be worth it though, especially if they get the gawd miller in to retool it.

Error

That's... not how it works. Studio systems and long spanning film contracts are complex. Once you've a partner in a franchise, it can be very hard to extract without it being really messy or a total fallout. Snyder and his wife are producers on not just BvS and JL, but the entire DCCU slate. Their company is overseeing everything on behalf of WB, and the entire slate is based on work they've mapped out and deals they've arranged with the various directors and so on.

If they want to remove Snyder from the equation completely, they would have to scrap everything and start over. Everything. It would mean not having a new film after Wonder Woman for possibly several years. No way they will do that. There's a reason even Goyer is still an Executive Producer on BvS. Once you're part of a project, it can be hell to completely remove the person.
Well, they have a choice to make either they keep him and he keeps fucking this up beyond anything salvageable, because at this point there's no way guarantee he is going to do a 180 and start making good movies, or they kick him out and start reworking this stuff.

I don't know what WB is going to do, they really fucked up giving someone like Snyder so much of this stuff. If this underperforms, I don't think it matters to them what contracts are in place. If investors aren't happy his head will roll.

Well, they have a choice to make either they keep him and he keeps fucking this up beyond anything salvageable, because at this point there's no way guarantee he is going to do a 180 and start making good movies, or they kick him out and start reworking this stuff.

They could perhaps reach an arrangement with Snyder where he still oversees everything DCEU, but they bring in a new director for Justice League. I could totally see that happening now.

duckroll

They could perhaps reach an arrangement with Snyder where he still oversees everything DCEU, but they bring in a new director for Justice League. I could totally see that happening now.

What sort of message would that be though? "We have complete confidence in your vision for the entire franchise, but we have no confidence in your ability as a director." That's not going to go over very well...

I honestly don't think Snyder was going to direct anything else after Justice League anyways. He's already talked about how much time he'll have spent directing these films by the time Justice League releases and he's been talking a lot about other, unrelated projects this press tour.

What sort of message would that be though? "We have complete confidence in your vision for the entire franchise, but we have no confidence in your ability as a director." That's not going to go over very well...

I mean, what option do they really have at this point? I'm a fan, and although I haven't seen BvS yet, it feels awful to have your dreams crushed twice in three years. Not to mention this kind of critical reception to the first two films in your cinematic universe won't do any favors to DCEU as far as attracting talent, and building a loyal fanbase is concerned.

I totally see what you're saying about there being too many significant factors at play to completely overhaul their plans for DCEU, but how much longer can they endure this critical crucifixion before caving in? Unless their plan is to stick to their tone and vision, and keep making more divisive films...

Error

That's what I said, bro and you hit me with contracts and hollywood politics :p

LIkcVtZ.jpg

lol

You can't have someone that gets reviews like that in charge of your shared universe.

duckroll

Unless their plan is to stick to their tone and vision, and keep making more divisive films...

Well, why not? I mean, if it makes money, there are people who like it, and it brings something truly different to the comic movie playing field, why are a bunch of bad reviews the deciding factor here?

I guess the question is, as a fan, is this really not what you want to see? If so I can understand wanting a change. Some people have felt that way since Man of Steel though. Personally speaking, I'm glad DC is doing something different, and I find the divisiveness exciting. Do I think Zack Snyder makes good movies? Nope. But he sure makes... interesting movies. Lol. Suicide Squad looks great. Wonder Woman could be very good. If Justice League is another divisive chaotic mess with cool interesting ideas and bad execution, but makes a ton of money too... is it really that much of a loss?

That's what I said, bro and you hit me with contracts and hollywood politics :p

Yeah, because I don't think Snyder is going anywhere? He's attached to DCCU at the hip now. It's too late man. Should have stopped him after Man of Steel when there was still a chance!

Less than 11h for me. I am very nervous. I can't take a huhe disappointment again after MGSV.

Lesson learned I guess, never be hyped for anything.

Bro...

This is me. MGS V fucking broke me that month. And now this. If Quantum Break and Uncharted 4 disappoint, I'll have a fucking meltdown.

Error

Watch out for the "This is what BvS should've been" article after The Flash/Supergirl crossover lol.

Ashhong

What sucks is that I feel like I'm going to love this movie. While all of these negative impressions don't ruin that, it makes me sad that others dont share in my enjoyment and instead bash on it. I really hope some kind of miracle happens and this turns around. I want more of this type of CBM.

strafer

What sucks is that I feel like I'm going to love this movie. While all of these negative impressions don't ruin that, it makes me sad that others dont share in my enjoyment and instead bash on it. I really hope some kind of miracle happens and this turns around. I want more of this type of CBM.

Yeah, I have that feeling too. And the part about others not sharing my enjoyment, eh, I'm used to it with Man of Steel.

Ashhong

Yeah, I have that feeling too. And the part about others not sharing my enjoyment, eh, I'm used to it with Man of Steel.

I guess I got my hopes up with those early impressions. I'm still baffled how we got so many positive impressions, and yet, what, 18 positive reviews so far? The fuck? And a lot of the impressions weren't "it was ok", they were "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" twitter reviews. What happened.

Finaika

I guess I got my hopes up with those early impressions. I'm still baffled how we got so many positive impressions, and yet, what, 18 positive reviews so far? The fuck? And a lot of the impressions weren't "it was ok", they were "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" twitter reviews. What happened.

"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" could mean it was bad.

Ashhong

"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" could mean it was bad.

True, but that was just an example. Most of the posts definitely seemed positive.

It really seems like their approach to world building is what screwed them. The movie is too cramped to flesh out the main characters. And because they didn't have a solo, we didn't get to understand their background or their history. Why is batman this way, why is Lex so evil.

I really think JL will be better, as desperate as that sounds. By then the characters should be more developed into what people expect them to be, and there will hopefully be less angst.

Firemind

Okay, so I've been reading reviews and watching reviews pretty much exclusively since the embargo dropped and everybody and their momma posted their thoughts.

Here is what I have gathered in as non-spoilery a way as possible.

Take all of that as you will.
So basically studios should dumb down CBMs to saturday morning cartoons with a big budget because fuck having to think. I'm starting to get worried whether the DCU gets off the ground.

Yager

Banned
It seems lots of reviews spend more time reviewing what they think the movie should've been instead of what it is. I can understand that people might think it has pacing issues, but saying things like "I don't like the CGI fights" or constatly naming Marvel...

It seems that Zack Snyder is the reincarnation of Hitler.

Ashhong

It seems lots of reviews spend more time reviewing what they think the movie should've been instead of what it is. I can understand that people might think it has pacing issues, but saying things like "I don't like the CGI fights" or constatly naming Marvel...

It seems that Zack Snyder is the reincarnation of Hitler.

I guess that's the risk you take when you make a movie on a property over 75 years old. :/

Yager

Banned
I guess that's the risk you take when you make a movie on a property over 75 years old. :/

Of course, but that still doesn't make those reviews 100% valid.

I get the impression that with Warner-DC movies critics (and people in forums) tend to be much more harsh in comparison with the rest of CBM. Maybe that's because these characters are bigger than the "competition" and people have higher standards? I don't really know. I guess tonight I'll find out how much of this is true.

Oh, and despite those reviews, I'm so fucking pumped to see this film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom