• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

What you are wanting out of this movie does not seem to be at all what this film is delivering from reviews so far though? I mean I am an oddball who likes Man of Steel but this movie sadly seems like it is going to be MoS 2.0 which is not what the DCEU needs at all to get momentum rolling.
The themes MoS explored were fine. It was mostly the writing that let it down. Apparently BvS has a few shortcomings as well in the writing department, so you could say it's MoS 2.0. I dunno I'll have to watch the film myself.

Dcube

Not long now! Work today is gonna be tough to get through. Got tomorrow all booked off to watch some Snyder flicks before the movie, 4 day weekend!
Super hyped boys!
The review thread is a sad little geek circle jerk but I hope we get a strong enough community of those of us who like it that we can have some cool discussion.
Then again it could be not that great, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna let someone else's opinion affect mine before I even see it.

Vinter

Went into the review thread and man is it a dumpsterfire beyond belief. I knew there was going to be some controversy, just not this much. I still find it so odd that the movie gets positive reviews in the medias in my country, but you wouldnt believe it going to sites like RT.

WhiteWolf

What happens if Suicide Squad is also a let down? DC movies are put on ice? This could also get ugly for DC comics since their sales have been getting worse and worse over the past few years. Isn't DC's rebirth also somehow tied to the events in BvS?

Senoculum

Soon.

YjndFfl.png

Ahasverus

That's... not how it works. Studio systems and long spanning film contracts are complex. Once you've a partner in a franchise, it can be very hard to extract without it being really messy or a total fallout. Snyder and his wife are producers on not just BvS and JL, but the entire DCCU slate. Their company is overseeing everything on behalf of WB, and the entire slate is based on work they've mapped out and deals they've arranged with the various directors and so on.

If they want to remove Snyder from the equation completely, they would have to scrap everything and start over. Everything. It would mean not having a new film after Wonder Woman for possibly several years. No way they will do that. There's a reason even Goyer is still an Executive Producer on BvS. Once you're part of a project, it can be hell to completely remove the person.
There's an easy way: Hey dude, didn't you want to make this (usually low budget, passion project) movie for years? How about you do it right now? Seriously here it is everything you need, now go.

The thing is we're out of luck as JL is filming in about weeks lol, but I still have hope that Snyder is no more as director after that.

Boke1879

Went into the review thread and man is it a dumpsterfire beyond belief. I knew there was going to be some controversy, just not this much. I still find it so odd that the movie gets positive reviews in the medias in my country, but you wouldnt believe it going to sites like RT.

It officially opens in Europe today right? I know in the US Thursday and Friday will be huge as far general audience opinion goes

It's not terrible like all the reviews say. It's a collection of awesome scenes and moments, but the weakness is in the narrative tissue connecting them all. Critics are a lot more focused on good story structure, pacing, and character motivations, and sadly that is where this film is lacking or muddled.

But there are some amazing moments, which is more than I can say for a lot of the films it's being compared to in regards to RT.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
What happens if Suicide Squad is also a let down? DC movies are put on ice? This could also get ugly for DC comics since their sales have been getting worse and worse over the past few years. Isn't DC's rebirth also somehow tied to the events in BvS?

If it bleeds money: Yes. If not, at most they"ll change course and bring in new people.

WB had a crappy year so they need this one to hit (financially). If if doesn't...ouch. Well they'll always have Nolan, so that is nice. And they could bring back Potter. But as far as franchises go, they really want this to be their thing. Hope it does.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
There's an easy way: Hey dude, didn't you want to make this (usually low budget, passion project) movie for years? How about you do it right now? Seriously here it is everything you need, now go.

The thing is we're out of luck as JL is filming in about weeks lol, but I still have hope that Snyder is no more as director after that.

Damn. And looking at the avatar. When do I get my Ahasverus biopic? Once a normal Joe, the fever, the rage...made him cruel. Starring Ben Affleck, directed by Zack Snyder. Written by Terrio
and Goyer

Vinter

It officially opens in Europe today right? I know in the US Thursday and Friday will be huge as far general audience opinion goes

Yes, the premiere is tonight.

I think the movie will do fine, and maybe even great despite the seemingly poor reviews that has come so far. I am very interested in seeing those opening numbers for sure.

Vinter

It's not terrible like all the reviews say. It's a collection of awesome scenes and moments, but the weakness is in the narrative tissue connecting them all. Critics are a lot more focused on good story structure, pacing, and character motivations, and sadly that is where this film is lacking or muddled.

But there are some amazing moments, which is more than I can say for a lot of the films it's being compared to in regards to RT.

I felt some of those reviews were a bit unfair. The tone is to serious or it is to different from the Nolan films etc.

I loved the movie personally, and while there are flaws I felt the movie delivered where it needed and that is all that matters.

*Sorry for double post*

Ahasverus

Damn. And looking at the avatar. When do I get my Ahasverus biopic? Once a normal Joe, the fever, the rage...made him cruel. Starring Ben Affleck, directed by Zack Snyder. Written by Terrio
and Goyer
That's great casting! I've been told I look like Ben Affleck
.. by my mom. Everyone in the room exploded in laughter. I went to my room and cried in silence. It actually happened.

duckroll

God, that trailer is still AMAZING

It's the perfect Superman movie, condensed to 3 minutes.

I remember being pretty down on the 2nd trailer because it had that ridiculous exchange with Pa Kent where he goes "Maybe" to Clark's "Should I have just let them die?" Lol. But this trailer was phenomenal. The emotions. The music. The beats. The optimism. Goddamn.

duckroll

I don't think it's really that hard to find a director who can make a -good- Superman movie. I think the problem is finding a director with a take on a Superman movie that people actually really want to see. Brad Bird could do a really solid traditional Superman movie, but would it really get people excited or offer something that wasn't already seen in one way or another in Superman, Superman Returns, or Man of Steel? Probably not.

It's the perfect Superman movie, condensed to 3 minutes.

I remember being pretty down on the 2nd trailer because it had that ridiculous exchange with Pa Kent where he goes "Maybe" to Clark's "Should I have just let them die?" Lol. But this trailer was phenomenal. The emotions. The music. The beats. The optimism. Goddamn.

I still defend that Pa Kent thing. Him loving Clark so much that he doesn't even know which way is up anymore, that maybe letting the kids die to protect his secret was the right move; he's wrong, he clearly knows he's wrong, that it's a terrible thing to even think, but he can't help but go there. Very powerful moment for me.

duckroll

I still defend that Pa Kent thing. Him loving Clark so much that he doesn't even know which way is up anymore, that maybe letting the kids die to protect his secret was the right move; he's wrong, he clearly knows he's wrong, that it's a terrible thing to even think, but he can't help but go there. Very powerful moment for me.

I'm not sure if we've had this exact debate before. It's been years, so maybe, but I can -understand- all that logically but still not accept it. Does it make sense? Like, I don't want to really go into the "Not my Pa Kent" territory, but I just feel that it is fundamentally irresponsible to present such a scenario and for Pa Kent to be even contemplating trying to teach his son, Superman, that he should let innocents die to protect his own secret. That just feels so wrong to me.

Yeah after I read that I tuned out critics. I'll make my own judgement on this movie. Batman is not Donald Trump.

Actually funnily enough that's exactly what Bruce reminded me of in the last few trailers

I think I even made a few trump jokes about building a wall around the whole earth

He's a xenophobic guy who literally blames the alien and thinks he can hurt his world.

Penguin

Honestly, I think DC should try to aim for that Donner/Berlanti tone for their Superman movie.

Like Zack has good ideas for Superman, but then he never really goes beyond that.

Like I went with MoS because figured BvS would be the more traditional Superman, but he still gets to stand around as a lost puppy for most of the movie.

Maybe it's a good thing, maybe I'll enjoy the film more now. But the reviews have sapped every ounce of excitement I had for tomorrow. I just feel indifferent about going to see it now.

I'm not sure if we've had this exact debate before. It's been years, so maybe, but I can -understand- all that logically but still not accept it. Does it make sense? Like, I don't want to really go into the "Not my Pa Kent" territory, but I just feel that it is fundamentally irresponsible to present such a scenario and for Pa Kent to be even contemplating trying to teach his son, Superman, that he should let innocents die to protect his own secret. That just feels so wrong to me.

But that isn't what he is trying to teach him. At least in my view, what he's saying is much more, be careful. He knows that Clark isn't ready for his secret to come out, and he's trying to teach his son that actions have consequences and he needs to think about that. He clearly did teach him about the sanctity of life and right and wrong, because Clark spends years after Johnathan's death running around the world helping people.

Firemind

Bruce let people die in Batman Begins. I understand the criticism, but it's not like Snyder is the only one who gets these characters wrong and yet he gets so much more flak.

Magwik

Banned
Honestly, I think DC should try to aim for that Donner/Berlanti tone for their Superman movie.

Like Zack has good ideas for Superman, but then he never really goes beyond that.

Like I went with MoS because figured BvS would be the more traditional Superman, but he still gets to stand around as a lost puppy for most of the movie.
I mean that's where our Supes is heading anyways.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it's really that hard to find a director who can make a -good- Superman movie. I think the problem is finding a director with a take on a Superman movie that people actually really want to see. Brad Bird could do a really solid traditional Superman movie, but would it really get people excited or offer something that wasn't already seen in one way or another in Superman, Superman Returns, or Man of Steel? Probably not.

Yeah, that is the hard part. To find that middle ground, people (despite what fans want to believe) don't really care for Superman. And for good reason. You have a demographic who grew up with the Donner movies and want that. Then you have the generation that want the animated stuff translated to the big screen. And then you also have the younger demographic that grew up with the Marvel movies and just don't care for him as a character. Hard to please the majority of your audience. Not saying it's not possible. But to find a way to make him work pleasing the fans and the GA is difficult. A lot of friends of mine kept telling me how boring he is, but loved MoS.

As to who...hard to tell. I think they'll keep trying with Nolan to lead the way. But he doesn't seem interested.

witness

Maybe it's a good thing, maybe I'll enjoy the film more now. But the reviews have sapped every ounce of excitement I had for tomorrow. I just feel indifferent about going to see it now.

Right there with you brother. I watched three trailers last night and just couldn't feel anything after the meltdown. This is why I really wished I could have went to the Monday night event, could go in fresh and excited with no preconceived notions other than what the trailers showed. I was more excited for this than any movie in my life, and seeing these scores is crushing. I just want to see the movie already so I could care less about the reviews reviews say since I will know for myself.

My wife is actually more excited to see it now since the most common complaint is that it's not enough like a marvel movie lol She really can't stand the goofy light hearted tone of those films.

Penguin

I mean that's where our Supes is heading anyways.

I thought the same when MoS ended...

I think, and he is free to do so, Zack isn't as interested in telling stories of heroes as heroes, but heroes as Gods and their more archetypal meaning.

And that's a novel approach, but I don't think it's a mainstream one people want.

And again someone who digs this and MoS. But just from a business standpoint, Zack at the helm of movies is just gonna be a long uphill battle for DC when it comes to their movies.

Ahasverus

I don't agree with the Donner film being the best for Superman. I think a more than solemn, sensible take on him could work better to modern audienced, I mean, a lighthearted but not comedic in tone. I don't think a CBM has approached that kind of tone yet, that's what I ask who other director outside the circle could take it.

Malick though. Make it happen.

I don't agree with the Donner film being the best for Superman. I think a more than solemn, sensible take on him could work better to modern audienced, I mean, a lighthearted but not comedic in tone. I don't think a CBM has approached that kind of tone yet, that's what I ask who other director outside the circle could take it.

Malick though. Make it happen.

I think there is totally room for a serious, dramatic, somber take on Superman.

I just don't think Snyder has shown that he's the man for that take.

Eh not really, that was just some dumb rumor Rich Johnston started. I think marketing has shown there isn't much overlap between new readers and fans of the movies. I mean it sucks, they were probably hoping for some big hype off the the movies.

Geoff Johns pretty much explicitly said the Rebirth was made for the fans, and not really for newcomers, though they would still enjoy it.

See that's what I don't care for. The critics don't say what they liked about the movie. They'll write a scathing review then give it 3/5 stars without explaining the positive aspects. It really is on the cusp of being rotten or fresh, the average rating is 5.5.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
That's great casting! I've been told I look like Ben Affleck
.. by my mom. Everyone in the room exploded in laughter. I went to my room and cried in silence. It actually happened.

He has a big head though. So maybe not that bad.

Magwik

Banned

I think, and he is free to do so, Zack isn't as interested in telling stories of heroes as heroes, but heroes as Gods and their more archetypal meaning.

And that's a novel approach, but I don't think it's a mainstream one people want.

And again someone who digs this and MoS. But just from a business standpoint, Zack at the helm of movies is just gonna be a long uphill battle for DC when it comes to their movies.
With JL being his last film (assuming he doesn't return for a Superman sequel) that leaves room for anyone else to pickup the mantle and move forward to a different approach.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
On an upswing at 41% but who really cares at this point. The amount people who have seen it and say it's far from terrible is still confusing as hell to me.

jackdoe

Personally, I'm a fan of treating the Justice League as archetypal gods. I mean, that's how Grant Morrison wrote his JLA. But I don't think Snyder is alone in wanting to treat the Justice League like this. Terrio's interview pretty much said that he wanted to write them like this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom