• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Was Faraci the guy that said he just heard impressions, and he's excited to see the movie? We all said "what kind of a dick would be excited to watch a poor movie?" Quite a scathing review he gave it lol

Of course, but that still doesn't make those reviews 100% valid.

I get the impression that with Warner-DC movies critics (and people in forums) tend to be much more harsh in comparison with the rest of CBM. Maybe that's because these characters are bigger than the "competition" and people have higher standards? I don't really know. I guess tonight I'll find out how much of this is true.

Oh, and despite those reviews, I'm so fucking pumped to see this film.

I think it's simpler than that. It's not that they hold it to a higher standard, it's that reviewers and the general public are accustomed to a certain type of comic book movie, or even action movie in general. These movies don't fit those molds and try to do a bit more but not quite delivering. Since there's no comedy or light hearted fun to fall back on, people end up hating it all

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
12 hours to go, yesss. Can't wait. OT threads are a gift from heaven.

Boke1879

I don't know man. Everything I'm seeing from people that aren't critics either love it, like it or at the very least mixed on it. No one said they were bored and they left the theater entertained. And even say it set up the DCEU well.

That said maybe there was too much going on so things felt disjointed in the beginning? Also heard that if you know nothing about DC you may be lost at times.

That said from all these people it's hard to see how the review scores are what they are.

witness

I woke up and its somehow worse. Staying off the OT section entirely. Glad we have at least this safe place. Good that people can start seeing it enmase tonight so we can hopefully get some good vibes in here.

I don't disagree with the sentiment that Snyder gets a raw deal. I just don't think it's targeted because he is Snyder. It's not personal. It's just the sort of movies he tends to make, with the style he has, and both the vision and the shortcomings he has for the films. These factors make it hard for him to successfully capture a positive consensus. I don't think the criticism is undeserved though. Poorly expressed sometimes, maybe.
Yeah, maybe is caused by the combination of elements.

Great that we can agree on things.

duckroll

I think it's simpler than that. It's not that they hold it to a higher standard, it's that reviewers and the general public are accustomed to a certain type of comic book movie, or even action movie in general. These movies don't fit those molds and try to do a bit more but not quite delivering. Since there's no comedy or light hearted fun to fall back on, people end up hating it all

If we ignore that Singer's X-men movies exist and Nolan's Batman movies exist, sure. Come on dude, stop doing this to yourself. You seem so beat up over the fact that people just really dislike Snyder's vision that you're trying to rationalize it in silly ways. Just enjoy your movie and stop thinking about it. Seems unhealthy.

Ashhong

If we ignore that Singer's X-men movies exist and Nolan's Batman movies exist, sure. Come on dude, stop doing this to yourself. You seem so beat up over the fact that people just really dislike Snyder's vision that you're trying to rationalize it in silly ways. Just enjoy your movie and stop thinking about it. Seems unhealthy.

No, because I also said that his movies aren't delivering. Besides, Snyders movies aren't just dark, they're depressing. I think that's the key. Watchmen showed us this.

Im perfectly healthy.

duckroll

I dunno...

What sucks is that I feel like I'm going to love this movie. While all of these negative impressions don't ruin that, it makes me sad that others dont share in my enjoyment and instead bash on it. I really hope some kind of miracle happens and this turns around. I want more of this type of CBM.

I guess I got my hopes up with those early impressions. I'm still baffled how we got so many positive impressions, and yet, what, 18 positive reviews so far? The fuck? And a lot of the impressions weren't "it was ok", they were "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" twitter reviews. What happened.

True, but that was just an example. Most of the posts definitely seemed positive.

It really seems like their approach to world building is what screwed them. The movie is too cramped to flesh out the main characters. And because they didn't have a solo, we didn't get to understand their background or their history. Why is batman this way, why is Lex so evil.

I really think JL will be better, as desperate as that sounds. By then the characters should be more developed into what people expect them to be, and there will hopefully be less angst.

No, because I also said that his movies aren't delivering. Besides, Snyders movies aren't just dark, they're depressing. I think that's the key. Watchmen showed us this.

Im perfectly healthy.

Lmao I just read the dumbest spoiler ever about this movie. Not gonna read anymore cuz I want the plot to be surprising for me when I see it but wow...Hopefully the guy is just wording it poorly because some of this movie sounds stupid as shit

Edit: misleading info. God damn trust Noone brehs

duckroll

Is discussion not allowed anymore?

I'm trying to find out where the flaw lies in their universe and their movie. I don't see the problem

I'm just not sure what you're discussing though. I mean, you haven't seen the movie and you seem convinced you're going to love it. It's pretty clear from the reviews what -their- problem is though - it's a movie directed by Zack Snyder with all the pitfalls of a Zack Snyder film. It's big, it's loud, it's dark. it takes itself very seriously, it brings up big themes, and it fails to convince most people that it is coherent enough to support those themes. But you might still like it! If you haven't seen the film, why let it bother you that much? It's just weird.

Ashhong

I'm just not sure what you're discussing though. I mean, you haven't seen the movie and you seem convinced you're going to love it. It's pretty clear from the reviews what -their- problem is though - it's a movie directed by Zack Snyder with all the pitfalls of a Zack Snyder film. It's big, it's loud, it's dark. it takes itself very seriously, it brings up big themes, and it fails to convince most people that it is coherent enough to support those themes. But you might still like it! If you haven't seen the film, why let it bother you that much? It's just weird.

I'm discussing the very points you just put in your post. My still liking it has nothing to do with what I'm discussing. I'm a new fan to DC and am worried that the universe is not off to a good start. I think it's more weird that you are so taken aback by my posts. It's not like you're new to GAF.

duckroll

I'm discussing the very points you just put in your post. My still liking it has nothing to do with what I'm discussing. I'm a new fan to DC and am worried that the universe is not off to a good start. I think it's more weird that you are so taken aback by my posts. It's not like you're new to GAF.

If you like it, how's it off to a bad start?! Keep in mind, you're talking to someone who loves Transformers. :p

Cheebo

Banned
These reviews are just awful. My friends who don't tend to follow this stuff at all are even talking about how they hear this movie is supposed to be the worst movie ever and other kinds of hyperbole. This is going to really kill it's box office momentum. The polar opposite of what happened with Deadpool.
I suspect the DCEU is going to get massively reworked after this.

Boke1879

These reviews are just awful. My friends who don't tend to follow this stuff at all are even talking about how they hear this movie is supposed to be the worst movie ever and other kinds of hyperbole. This is going to really kill it's box office momentum. The polar opposite of what happened with Deadpool.
I suspect the DCEU is going to get massively reworked after this.

WOM is king. I agree this doesn't help at all. But we'll see how audience impressions are after the weekend. An essientail WW launch could help with that if enough people like it.

I'll say this. If this movie isn't the worst thing I've ever seen I gotta question why the reviews were so harsh. Because nothing I've seen from people who didn't even love the movie say they liked it and were entertained.

Cheebo

Banned
WOM is king. I agree this doesn't help at all. But we'll see how audience impressions are after the weekend. An essientail WW launch could help with that if enough people like it.

I'll say this. If this movie isn't the worst thing I've ever seen I gotta question why the reviews were so harsh. Because nothing I've seen from people who didn't even love the movie say they liked it and were entertained.
Man of Steel had bad word of mouth, so it would be surprising if audiences went against the critics this time when many of the complaints are similar to Man of Steel.

There is no way Justice Leauge in 2017 isn't going to be getting some last minute major script overhauls after the panning BvS is getting.

I mean on the bright side this probably just makes it all the more likely we will get a Batman film sooner rather than later.

I'm seeing the movie in an hour and unfortunately in 3D but I'll try to keep an open mind, there are a lot of movies in the past where I've disagreed with the critical consensus so who knows...

I just posted this in the reviews thread, I think it's pretty funny even though I'm probably going to lose some credibility as a reviewer :

Ah, something funny just happened to me...
I haven't seen BvS yet and I'm still looking forward to it but I just wrote a review for the 1966 Batman movie as it is being rereleased in France today. My editor submitted the review to the French version of Metacritic, there was a mix-up somewhere, and now I'm one of the first reviewers of BvS in France and I praise it as a fun throwback to the superheroes of old !

I'm trying to get in touch with them to change that but nobody is answering my e-mails... Oh, well.

PBY

Banned
Wow. woke up and the review aggregate scores DROPPED? How the fuck did zach make a movie that reviewed so much worse than MoS. Actually more intrigued to watch it now that if it was just at 50ish RT.

witness

I'm seeing the movie in an hour and unfortunately in 3D but I'll try to keep an open mind, there are a lot of movies in the past where I've diasgreed with the critical consensus so who knows...

I just posted this in the reviews thread, I think it's pretty funny even though I'm probably going to lose some credibility as a reviewer :

Ok, that's really funny actually. Very interested in how the international reviews are shaking out.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. woke up and the review aggregate scores DROPPED? How the fuck did zach make a movie that reviewed so much worse than MoS.

Wait until Justice League, GAF will crash.

I don't mind as long as I enjoy the movies. Would be nice if more people enjoyed it but ohh well. Can't have everything, hopefully more people like the upcoming movies like Suicide Squad or Wonder Woman.

The only thing that bugs me are the people attacking Zack on a personal level. Seriously, hate the movie with a burning passion all you want. Shit on it, laugh at the reception etc. Fair game. But at the end of the day it's still a movie. Calling the guy a moron who blew his way to the top and more shit like that is really childish.

PBY

Banned
Wait until Justice League, GAF will crash.

I don't mind as long as I enjoy the movies. Would be nice if more people enjoyed it but ohh well. Can't have everything, hopefully more people like the upcoming movies like Suicide Squad or Wonder Woman.

The only thing that bugs me are the people attacking Zack on a personal level. Seriously, hate the movie with a burning passion all you want. Shit on it, laugh at the reception etc. Fair game. But at the end of the day it's still a movie. Calling the guy a moron who blew his way to the top and more shit like that is really childish.

Yeah, thats shitty re: Zach. I think most people are mostly just like - what did you expect? Look at his history. If he's directing JL btw, it will be the same shit.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I've gone from being excited to just being curious. The RT is on the same level as stuff like Rise of the Silver Surfer and Tank Girl and I can't really fathom that being accurate to my taste.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, thats shitty re: Zach. I think most people are mostly just like - what did you expect? Look at his history. If he's directing JL btw, it will be the same shit.

I wonder if they'll let him do JL. They could just replace him, maybe even with Batfleck himself. Or almost bury Nolan in cash. Even if it makes 1billion (which I'm wondering whether it will or not).

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Let Nolan direct the movie and let Snyder direct the action scenes.

12287537853485 billion box office.

Snyder as a DP wouldn't be that bad tbh, if anything he'll probably get more praise for his work.

Boke1879

Man of Steel had bad word of mouth, so it would be surprising if audiences went against the critics this time when many of the complaints are similar to Man of Steel.

There is no way Justice Leauge in 2017 isn't going to be getting some last minute major script overhauls after the panning BvS is getting.

I mean on the bright side this probably just makes it all the more likely we will get a Batman film sooner rather than later.

Oh I'm. It going to say they are wrong in their criticisms because even people who ranged from like-love mention similar things.

I'd question the harshness. You're about things getting reworked but after this weekend it'll be a big indicator. The movie doesn't have much competition for at least a month so we'll see

George Miller, Batman Solo Movie, written by Terrio & Affleck.

All practical effects, CGI just like in Mad Max.

300m BO, but 97% RT and some oscars.

I always thought miller was more suited to a justice League, wonder woman or shazam

But yeah his setpieces in JL would have been fucking bananas :(

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
This week will be interesting, now I'm really curious about BO. And WB's reaction. They probably knew this would be the reaction, I mean they had to. Question is how are they going to respond?

On a positive note: now we can on Suicide Squad besides BvS! In b4 ''not my Joker''.

Honestly I'd have as much disdain for Nolan doing it as I would Whedon.

I like Nolan, he's a great director, I love his movies. But they're not DC comics. I don't want a grounded Justice League.

As far as I know, he has no interest in Super hero movies anymore. I'm sure they could pay him to think otherwise but I'd rather not him take the project if his heart isn't into it.

George Miller is plausible but he wouldn't be a universe helm and would likely be able to do 2 films max. He's getting up there.

James Wan seems a likely contender.

So George Miller JL -> James Wan JL2 could happen.

Still I think we're jumping the gun here, we don't even know box office yet or how the audience will receive the movie.

Miller was going to direct Justice League ages ago. WB pulled the plug.

IIRC it had little to do with Miller and more to do with the screen writers guild protesting and fans lukewarm reception to an idea of a Batman different from Nolan's. Miller is a producer on JL currently.

Miller was going to direct Justice League ages ago. WB pulled the plug.

Who knows how things have changed though after Mad Max. It wasn't breaking any records at BO, but it's a critics darling and got the most oscars this year.

Maybe WB wanted him again, but he said something like "let me fucking finish Mad Max and I am going to make a DCEU movie for you". Who knows though, Nolan deal worked liked that, right ? He gets to make Inception for promising to direct TDKR.

Firemind

Here in Spain most of the reviews so far are fairly positive, so there's that.
Fairly positive in The Netherlands and Belgium as well. Says they liked its mature and philosophical themes. Obviously it was never going to set the world on fire as it's trying to set up the JL, but I'll form my own opinion in about 30 hours.

Yager

Banned
This week will be interesting, now I'm really curious about BO. And WB's reaction. They probably knew this would be the reaction, I mean they had to. Question is how are they going to respond?

On a positive note: now we can on Suicide Squad besides BvS! In b4 ''not my Joker''.

I guess WB are relying on the WOM. I don't know, discussing about the RT score of a movie is OK, but in the end that means fucking nothing. Hell, the last Hunger Games movie got a 70%; for me that movie is godawful. I don't know, I guess people prefers to follow critics opinions an review so they don't have to think much about what they saw is good or not, if they truly enjoyed or not.

Everybody praised Deadpool. I went to the cinema, had fun, but as soon as I left the building I realized that the movie had no effect in me. Like, I could've watched on a sunday afternoon and the effect would've been the same.

Fairly positive in The Netherlands and Belgium as well. Says they liked its mature and philosophical themes. Obviously it was never going to set the world on fire as it's trying to set up the JL, but I'll form my own opinion in about 30 hours.

Maybe the movie is indeed 2deep for american critics and audience.

j/k

PBY

Banned
I guess WB are relying on the WOM. I don't know, discussing about the RT score of a movie is OK, but in the end that means fucking nothing. Hell, the last Hunger Games movie got a 70%; for me that movie is godawful. I don't know, I guess people prefers to follow critics opininons an review so they don't have to think much about what they saw is good or not, if they truly enjoyed or not.
Come on lol.

Cheebo

Banned
I guess WB are relying on the WOM. I don't know, discussing about the RT score of a movie is OK, but in the end that means fucking nothing. Hell, the last Hunger Games movie got a 70%; for me that movie is godawful. I don't know, I guess people prefers to follow critics opininons an review so they don't have to think much about what they saw is good or not, if they truly enjoyed or not.

Everybody praised Deadpool. I went to the cinema, had fun, but as soon as I left the building I realized that the movie had no effect in me. Like, I could've watched on a sunday afternoon and the effect would've been the same.

Maybe the movie is indeed 2deep for american critics and audience.

j/k
Relying on word of mouth is a doomed scenario. Zack Synder movies have terrible word of mouth. Be it Man of Steel, Sucker Punch, or Watchmen. All had bad legs and bad word of mouth.

Yager

Banned
Come on lol.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the movie as I've yet to see it, but it baffles me that there are so many people that write off after reading one or two reviews. And everybody knew this wasn't going to review that good considering Zack Snyder is directing it.

Cheebo

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the movie as I've yet to see it, but it baffles me that there are so many people that write off after reading one or two reviews. And everybody knew this wasn't going to review that good considering Zack Snyder is directing it.
It is fair to say many were hopeful that this would not be a typical Synder movie as those movies aren't well liked. It's why people were so excited about Terrio on board.

Saying we should have expected a typical Syder movie is some serious revisionist history, a lot were hoping for more than that.

I mean I liked Man of Steel so I am not too concerned, but most didn't and the movie didn't do as well as it should of. As someone who wants a robust DCEU this is a very bad way to go into the opening weekend.

Yager

Banned
It is fair to say many were hopeful that this would not be a typical Synder movie as those movies aren't well liked. It's why people were so excited about Terrio on board.

Saying we should have expected a typical Syder movie is some serious revisionist history, a lot were hoping for more than that.

I mean I liked Man of Steel so I am not too concerned, but most didn't and the movie didn't do as well as it should of. As someone who wants a robust DCEU this is a very bad way to go into the opening weekend.

Oh no, of course. I was hoping more than that. But having a fun film, some good fights, good dialogue and good perfomances it's also nice for me.

For something grounbreaking regarding comic books...well, I read a comic book. There hasn't been a single CBM that has made me go nuts besides the Nolan trilogy (and I say this while I still love Man of Steel).

Cheebo

Banned
Oh no, of course. I was hoping more than that. But having a fun film, some good fights, good dialogue and good perfomances it's also nice for me.

For something grounbreaking regarding comic books...well, I read a comic book. There hasn't been a single CBM that has made me go nuts besides the Nolan trilogy (and I say this while I still love Man of Steel).
What you are wanting out of this movie does not seem to be at all what this film is delivering from reviews so far though? I mean I am an oddball who likes Man of Steel but this movie sadly seems like it is going to be MoS 2.0 which is not what the DCEU needs at all to get momentum rolling.

wow the reviews seems harsh and the review thread seems unbearable. Dont want to go there but it seems like Marvel gets a way with worse but because its lighthearted its ok.

im still excited to go see it and am pretty sure i will enjoy it.

Yager

Banned
What you are wanting out of this movie does not seem to be at all what this film is delivering from reviews so far though? I mean I am an oddball who likes Man of Steel but this movie sadly seems like it is going to be MoS 2.0 which is not what the DCEU needs at all to get momentum rolling.

I think the problem seems to be more of "too much stuff" and pacing than what I mentioned, but oh well, tonight I'll see how much of that is true.

Boke1879

Like I said we'll see. Review wise it's not doing well. And you're right a divisive movie isn't what WB needs. I still am curious to what the average movie goer will think. Will thy like it and still be entertained despite some shortcomings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom