• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll make money, but not the kind of money they wanted or even an event like this (Superman and Batman on a live action movie for the first time) deserved.
We don't know what they wanted, we don't know how the audience will react. You are too hung up on those hypothetical scenarios. Just let things play out. It doesn't really matter that much either way. Just a movie, just 2:30 minutes of entertainment, this ain't the cure of cancer, a Mars tripulated mission or the lottery numbers, no need to freak out.

Ninjimbo

WB needs to put someone in charge of these properties that gets the characters at a fundamental level and kick out Snyder and his wife, before it's too late.

I mean this 'brain trust' thing obviously it's not going to work and they can't offer another divisive movie in JL because it dooms your entire slate and may damage the brand for a long time.

the 'brain trust' reads like too many hands on the kitchen. It's what doomed Green Lantern.
Too early. Wait until Ayer and Jenkins get to release their films. We only have two films in this universe and they're Snyder films. Zach and Deb spoke about giving the crew a sort of autonomy when it came to making these films and I like that approach. If it gives each film a different flavor, I'm more than happy to go along with it. I'd rather have that than have every film feeling indistinguishable from one another like in the MCU.

duckroll

I think he's just saying people should try to a certain degree to give everything as fair a shake as possible.

And I think critics largely do. The reason why Snyder fails to get good critical reviews is because his delivery never matches their expectations. I don't think the majority of people reviewing a Snyder movie has anything personal against Snyder, but his films have problems and they always set up expectations which they fail to deliver.

Ashhong

As superhero spectacles go, Zack Snyder's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is a grand one, with a mondo-operatic climax and a final shot infused with quivering, exhilarating molecules of grace. It's also not much fun.

That is pretty much the consensus I'm getting. The main problem is that people aren't having "fun". The movie is too serious, with too much anger and drama that the viewers just aren't getting that "fun" vibe they get from comic book movies, or even action movies in general.

I'm a little worried that WB will panic and chop up SS in the editing room, possibly to the films detriment
Eh, that one has had positive comments thigh it's whole production. BvS was always mixed, but SS has always been The Movie is great'.

I think they will leave it.

Now Wonder Woman could see some changes

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm a little worried that WB will panic and chop up SS in the editing room, possibly to the films detriment

Doubt it, the trailer had great reception and WB knows how to market that film. I doubt they are going to mess with it. JL, though... They are going to do some internal meetings, I'm sure.

guek

Banned
Considering he's probably almost finished post on the film by now, I'd wager not much.
Early buzz is really positive for SS. BvS had that too but there were a few conflicting reports.

But ultimately I think it's unwise to put too much stock into early buzz. It's obvious now that WB did a shit ton of astroturfing with BvS and damage control to offset the negative leaks and the haters diligent enough to do some negative astroturfing as well.

Wonder how much pressure David Ayer is feeling right about now..

Only person feeling real pressure is Snyder. I mean, this is a man who might be done directing all together if he shits the bed with Justice League (I still believe things go on as normal in the short term unless BvS implodes at the box office in week 2.)

You really think they did Astro turfing?

I think a better question is who doesn't astroturf?

Early buzz is really positive for SS. BvS had that too but there were a few conflicting reports.

But ultimately I think it's unwise to put too much stock into early buzz. It's obvious now that WB did a shit ton of astroturfing with BvS and damage control to offset the negative leaks and the haters diligent enough to do some negative astroturfing as well.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Only person feeling real pressure is Snyder. I mean, this is a man who might be done directing all together if he shits the bed with Justice League (I still believe things go on as normal in the short term unless BvS implodes at the box office in week 2.)
Let's not assume that it will have a huge 2nd weekend drop. A little premature IMO.

And I think critics largely do. The reason why Snyder fails to get good critical reviews is because his delivery never matches their expectations. I don't think the majority of people reviewing a Snyder movie has anything personal against Snyder, but his films have problems and they always set up expectations which they fail to deliver.
I'll call bullshit on that. The director isn't the one that handles the marketing of a movie, so the expectations formed by people and critics are not being guided by him, but other people.

Show me a piece of media of Snyder saying this isn't a serious film with mythical and iconic characters? So why would critics expect the Marvel experience here? That's bullshit and you know it. Critics do have a problem with Snyder's take on the Capes & Spandex serious tone cause they don't reconcile these characters carrying forward these themes. However anyone that understand the characters through a deeper than superficial level knows that comics have very dense and profound topics using these characters. Critics can't reconcile characters like watchmen on a superhero film dealing with plausible polical conspiracies, they don't like that at all.

Maybe Snyder's flaw is that he demands too much but accomplish too little (like sucker punch) with this movie, I don't know, I let you know on Thursday what I think about it. However, if that's the case I would expect overly verbose pompous critics to be able to articulate that better than: no jokes, no fun & bad CGI. Maybe it's me that expects too much from them? Heh.

Ninjimbo

Doubt it, the trailer had great reception and WB knows how to market that film. I doubt they are going to mess with it. JL, though... They are going to do some internal meetings, I'm sure.
Man, going by the reviews I'm reading, all WB has to say to Zach is to stop making shit dark because nobody likes it. That's really the only thing sticking out in all this.

The thing about Snyder is that, not only was he the one developing this universe, but also he very clearly has a fantastic relationship with the cast and the crew.

I imagine what will happen is that, WB will maybe tell to him to make it a very fun and ked friendly movie. Then like all the criticism should go.

the fuck is astroturfing?
It's what the Marvel militant faithful do for free on the internet. Overly gush about mediocre to bad shit and be negative about the competition.

All company's engage on this one way or the other. Think about it as paying for the illusion of grass roots support and acceptance or rejection.

a916

I'm still a bit puzzled at the "worst modern comic book movie" and "it's worse than Trank's fantastic four"

It surely can' be that bad.

Draconian

I do think that one of the things in SS's favor is that an Ayer comic book film is much less of a known quantity than a Snyder one. Say what you will about Snyder, but his entire filmography consists almost exclusively of superhero/comic book movies. We should all know what to expect from Snyder, for better or for worse. It'll be interesting to see someone new calling the shots in a few months time.

I can handle a dark tone, but (movie spoilers):

Batman
killing people
can go screw itself. That pretty much killed all my hype. I'll take Marvel's much more safer template movie design seeing as how those characters are more faithful to the comic versions I love so much over whatever DC has put out so far.

Error

Man, going by the reviews I'm reading, all WB has to say to Zach is to stop making shit dark because nobody likes it. That's really the only thing sticking out in all this.
Snyder won't like for WB to meddle in. He is stubborn, as soon as he feels he isn't in control he probably leaves.

guek

Banned
At this point, yeah. Of course it's just conjecture and I have no proof but the circumstantial evidence is there. Think of all the positive rumbling we heard these last few days and how it conflicts so sharply with the reviews. Bandwagon reviewers can unfairly bring down a movie but not like this. Not this far. People in this thread understandably got really hyped because there were so many positive "leaks" from the screenings to the point where we started to think a RT in the 75 to 80 range was actually possible. I don't believe there's some reviewer conspiracy at play here. Something's fucky

Cooter

I'm still a bit puzzled at the "worst modern comic book movie" and "it's worse than Trank's fantastic four"

It surely can' be that bad.
It's comments like these that make me feel like some of these people have an agenda. Not anything sinister but a rooting interest in this film failing. Let's be real, there are horrible CBMs out there. Just terrible. And this is the worst?? Sure...

I can handle a dark tone, but (movie spoilers):

Batman
killing people
can go screw itself. That pretty much killed all my hype. I'll take Marvel's much more safer template movie design seeing as how those characters are more faithful to the comic versions I love so much over whatever DC has put out so far.
All movie Batmen
have killed people. Burton's, Nolan's, now Snyder's

I do think that one of the things in SS's favor is that an Ayer comic book film is much less of a known quantity than a Snyder one. Say what you will about Snyder, but his entire filmography consists almost exclusively of superhero/comic book movies. We should all know what to expect from Snyder, for better or for worse. It'll be interesting to see someone new calling the shots in a few months time.
Will be interesting to see the audience v critic ratings

Cooter

At this point, yeah. Of course it's just conjecture and I have no proof but the circumstantial evidence is there. Think of all the positive rumbling we heard these last few days and how it conflicts so sharply with the reviews. Bandwagon reviewers can unfairly bring down a movie but not like this. Not this far. People in this thread understandably got really hyped because there were so many positive "leaks" from the screenings to the point where we started to think a RT in the 75 to 80 range was actually possible. I don't believe there's some reviewer conspiracy at play here. Something's fucky
How do you explain the numerous members here who enjoyed it. Even the ones who weren't gushing still said it was solid with flaws. It really is puzzling.

Ashhong

Snyder won't like for WB to meddle in. He is stubborn, as soon as he feels he isn't in control he probably leaves.

If these reviews continue this way, even Snyder has to see that he has to change something. He doesn't have to make it like Spiderman level all of a sudden, but he has to do something. The tone of Civil War might be a good example to follow judging by the trailers.

Error

All movie Batmen
Yeah but
those Batman were on stand alone movies, you don't want your shared universe Batman on shaky moral ground from the very first movie he is introduced.

All movie Batmen

While true, it seems far more explicitly done here. And the past movies shoudn't really excuse this one, especially as the medium continues to do a pretty good job of representing other characters in other movies as far more faithful to the source material.

For that Batman situation,
does he actually kill kill? Like outside of dream sequences, outside of not seeing goons crawl out of explosions, etc., actually snap a guy's neck in front of the camera outside a dream?

Yeah but
those Batman were on stand alone movies, you don't your shared universe Batman on shaky moral ground from the very first movie he is introduced.
Perhaps
but none of those Batmen have this one's history or suffered whatever losses he has

While true, it seems far more explicitly done here. And the past movies shoudn't really excuse this one, especially as the medium continues to do a pretty good job of representing other characters in other movies as far more faithful to the source material.
Not mah batdman!!!
People lost all sense of nuance and context. Just pulling things out of context and complaining about it. What's there to talk about? Have you seen the movie?

Not mah batdman!!!
People lost all sense of nuance and context. Just pulling things out of context and complaining about it. What's there to talk about? Have you seen the movie?

No I haven't. I was spoiled accidentally and am going off that. Am I not allowed to be a bit concerned? Are the spoilers not accurate?

MoS already gave me a pathetic depiction of Superman. I didn't expect much from the Superman side of things going into this movie, but I don't think it's unfair to want Batman to be a bit more true to contemporary source material.

Error

Perhaps
but none of those Batmen have this one's history or suffered whatever losses he has
Yeah well
Nolan Bats lost a childhood friend and someone he loved to Joker and still refused to kill him when he had the chance. He was incorruptible.
it made for a very compelling dynamic between him and Joker and still made it so it stayed true to the character.

duckroll

I'll call bullshit on that.

Maybe Snyder's flaw is that he demands too much but accomplish too little (like sucker punch) with this movie, I don't know, I let you know on Thursday what I think about it. However, if that's the case I would expect overly verbose pompous critics to be able to articulate that better than: no jokes, no fun & bad CGI. Maybe it's me that expects too much from them? Heh.

Well.... I think this review articulates why he felt the movie was joyless, and why the effects in a specific example was overused and poorly directed in his opinion:

Michael Phillips said:
The “Batman v Superman” script by Chris Terrio and David S. Goyer plows familiar ground for much of its 153 minutes, revisiting the brutal murder of Bruce Wayne’s parents, and starting off where “Man of Steel” ended: with Superman and General Zod leveling much of Metropolis, which saved our planet long-term but piled up a lot of unseen corpses in the short-term. Batman is epically miffed, and while Eisenberg’s Luthor develops a precious hunk of Kryptonite for his own genocidal purposes, the big boys inch closer, often in Snyder’s preferred, hackneyed slow-mo, to the battle royale.

Snyder is not without skills, or ideas, but when a critic finds himself at odds with almost every aspect of a director’s visual approach to material like this, material like this becomes pretty joyless. Compare the first big sequence in “Batman v Superman” featuring the Batmobile in action, in relation to the Bat Cycle/semi-trailer truck game of chicken in Nolan’s “The Dark Knight.” The latter builds beautifully, and shows off the toys and old-fashioned, non-digital effects with serious class. The “Batman v Superman” equivalent is pure, empty noise: fireballs; the usual overdose of insane automatic gunfire; and absolutely no rhythm.

“You don’t owe this world a thing,” Lane tells Superman at one point. Maybe so. But at this point in the twinned mythologies of two extremely hardy DC heroes, humankind deserves a better blockbuster.

Here's a review about how the movie overreaches:

Stephen Whitty said:
Not me, certainly, as the film meanders along, playing less like a prequel for the JLA then a greatest-hits medley of every superhero movie ever made – a little "Dark Knight Rises" here, a bit of "Batman Begins" there, all spiced up with some "X-Men" topicality.

The thing is, none of it convinces.

No, not the superhuman creatures in flowing capes. The mood.

Look back at your favorite comic-book films and what you'll notice first is their honesty. Christopher Nolan committed to the dark shadows of his Batman pictures; the equal-rights struggle that's at the heart of the first "X-Men" film was one Bryan Singer believed in.

But although director Zac Snyder is a great visualist, all he has here is pretty pictures and giant (and confusing) action sequences.

Here's another review about how the movie overreaches and doesn't connect, and actually refutes that people expect Marvel from this:

Stephanie Zacharek said:
Batman v Superman lunges for greatness instead of building toward it: It’s so topheavy with false portent that it buckles under its own weight. Snyder, the man behind the Thermopylae phantasm 300, as well as the flawed but raggedly affecting riot-grrrl head trip Sucker Punch, is an ambitious visual stylist. And there are more than a few dazzling sequences in Batman v Superman, including an apocalyptic dream battle in which spindly, winged terrors, imported straight from a Guillermo del Toro nightmare, buzz menacingly in the margins, while poor Batman gets the batstuffing kicked out of him in the foreground.

But then, fun isn’t what we’re after when we venture out of the fairly jaunty Marvel Universe and into the relatively irony-free DC Comics one: Snyder and screenwriters Chris Terrio and David S. Goyer work overtime to make these superheroes superserious, further embroidering all the basic psychological motivations and hangups their creators — Batman’s Bob Kane and Bill Finger, and Superman’s Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster — gave them in the first place. Both carry scars of childhood trauma, and both are social misfits: Bruce Wayne/Batman is too self-absorbed to fit in, while Clark Kent/Superman is a literal alien, an outsider perpetually looking into the world of humans but unable to fully join it. They certainly have a lot to talk about — and to fight about.

But the enmity between these two never jells as it should.

Still bullshit? It's not that critics expect Marvel fun and happy times, it's that Zack Snyder sets himself up for expectations of greatness when he wants to deal in serious character material using superheroes, but blows it because his strength is in visuals and action, while his storytelling is weak. His passion and the fact that he is one of the few directors even attempting this for properties like Watchmen might be enough for some fans, but it's not good enough for most people.

No I haven't. I was spoiled accidentally and am going of that. Am I not allowed to be a bit concerned? Are the spoilers not accurate?

MoS already gave me a pathetic depiction of Superman. I didn't expect much from the Superman side of things going into this movie, but I don't think it's unfair to want Batman to be a bit more true to contemporary source material.
Contemporary? Like The Dark Knight Rises? These characters have been around long enough to do everything you can imagine weather on film or not,.I understand having concerns on the portrayal of the characters, but taking a single piece of info out of context and running with it seems misguided in my eyes. I haven't seen the movie but thanks to an careless gaffer I got spoiled in a non spoiler thread. So, yes you can have concerns but context and nuance is important before we proceed to judge things haphazardly if we aim to be objective and rational instead of overly emotional individuals.

3N16MA

Banned
Wonder how much pressure David Ayer is feeling right about now..

I have no clue since I'm not David Ayer but If I were in his position I wouldn't be feeling much.

Suicide Squad has much smaller expectations placed upon it. However he gets a film franchise that has breakout potential written all over it.

Contemporary? Like The Dark Knight Rises? These characters have been around long enough to do everything you can imagine weather on film or not,.I understand having concerns on the portrayal of the characters, but taking a single piece of info out of context and running with it seems misguided in my eyes. I haven't seen the movie but thanks to an careless gaffer I got spoiled in a non spoiler thread. So, yes you can have concerns but context and nuance is important before we proceed to judge things haphazardly if we aim to be objective and rational instead of overly emotional individuals.

Uhh... Right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom