• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yager

Banned
On an upswing at 41% but who realy cares at this point. The amount people who have seen it and say it's far from terrible is still confusing as hell to me.

Snyder's movies tend to be crushed by critics, but almost everyone I know enjoys them. Guess it's a divisive one. Another one, yes, but considering MoS was to and I ended up liking it a lot, I don't really care. I'm seeng this one tonight and tomorrow, and next week again.

Ahasverus

Personally, I'm a fan of treating the Justice League as archetypal gods. I mean, that's how Grant Morrison wrote his JLA. But I don't think Snyder is alone in wanting to treat the Justice League like this. Terrio's interview pretty much said that he wanted to write them like this as well.
Terrio is da gawd, he gets the characters, but Zack don't let them feel human.

Yager

Banned
Maybe they should've split the movie in 2 parts?

Another question. Seems like most of the problem comes with pacing and how everything is tied together. They have already announced a directors cut with 30 extra minutes of footage, which is...a fucking lot. Do you guys think that maybe WB pushed for the threatical version to be more condensed/short, and Snyder agreed in exchange of the Director's Cut? Seems weird to me that they announced the DC before the premiere of this one.

guek

Banned
Bruce let people die in Batman Begins. I understand the criticism, but it's not like Snyder is the only one who gets these characters wrong and yet he gets so much more flak.
He also murdered fools in the Burton films.

I think the difference with Burton's Batman though, and why I don't mind it as much despite being a huge fan of the character, is that Burton's is straight up insane and unhinged. We're talking about a guy who sleeps hanging upside down like a bat. His mansion is weird and creepy. He's a complete nut job that you're not really supposed to relate to. The whole thing is more gothic than it is excessively grim and that's why it works.

Nolan was a master of hiding a bunch of questionable stuff in plain sight, whether it was a series of plot coincidences or absolvement of murder. I think he got away with what he did just because the movies were so well constructed.

Boke1879

I felt some of those reviews were a bit unfair. The tone is to serious or it is to different from the Nolan films etc.

I loved the movie personally, and while there are flaws I felt the movie delivered where it needed and that is all that matters.

*Sorry for double post*

It's a bit disappointing to see these reviews because you want something like this to do well for obvious reasons.

But I'm still hype for day 1 and excited to see what I think of the film. And also curious to see what the reviewers thought the way they did.

I mean look at the collider guys. At worst two of them are mixed in their impressions but still came out entertained. One guy liked it but not loved it. One guy said it sets up the DCEU well.

Here's my suspicion and again I haven't seen the movie but BobbyRoberts kinda alluded to this in his posts leading up to the movie. The movie is billed as Batman v Superman. Of course with the subtitle we know they become friends etc. that's expected. But people are expecting them to fight and while we get that fight this movie also has to set up the DCEU universe. So I suspect things can get a bit muddled.

I also heard from people who loved the movie but we're also critical of certain parts say. If you're not all that familiar with DC things can fly over your head. I suspect the K nightmare sequence will be lost on some people.

So we'll see but again based on audience reaction so far I can't see the movie being as bad as its being reviewed. Again I'll see for myself soon and we'll know more after tomorrow

WhiteWolf

Maybe they should've split the movie in 2 parts?

Another question. Seems like most of the problem comes with pacing and how everything is tied together. They have already announced a directors cut with 30 extra minutes of footage, which is...a fucking lot. Do you guys think that maybe WB pushed for the threatical version to be more condensed/short, and Snyder agreed in exchange of the Director's Cut? Seems weird to me that they announced the DC before the premiere of this one.
I know McWeeny said that the last thing this movie needs is more time added to it.

Effect

Was talking with my sister, yeah anecdotal, this morning and she was pretty confused by the reviews. Not the scores but just the overall content of the reviews and she read a few of them. One she honed in on was one that suggested that Oscar worthy actors shouldn't be in films like this this or that the film was to serious and thought that was dumb. She really enjoyed Man of Steel and really enjoys the Nolan films, loves watching Agent Carter and Agents of Shield just for reference. Enjoys a good deal of the Marvel films. In fact seeing a lot of these superhero films together is something we do. To this day she was surprised at the scores Man of Steel got. She hadn't seen any reviews prior to us going to watch it and had a huge WTF reaction to reading them.

I know I loved Man of Steel (yes it had some issues) and that disconnect there between the critics and myself and others regarding that film is really why I'm paying far more attention to audience and fan reactions.

I hope WB when it comes to adding more commercials sticks some of the more positive reviews in the commercials and tries to keep control of the narrative. I still feel things like tone and whether you like a film to be serious is a subjective thing and shouldn't be

Rooster12

Yeah, that is the hard part. To find that middle ground, people (despite what fans want to believe) don't really care for Superman. And for good reason. You have a demographic who grew up with the Donner movies and want that. Then you have the generation that want the animated stuff translated to the big screen. And then you also have the younger demographic that grew up with the Marvel movies and just don't care for him as a character.

With the modern trend of light-hearted and fun Superhero movies, Superman actually fits that mold really well. That's what a lot of silver-age Superman stories are like.

It's Batman who is the outcast here.

PBY

Banned
I think the "fun" stuff doesn't mean that the critics don't want a serious film or a darker take on superheroes. From what I've read, it seems like they hate how long it is combined with the super-self-seriousness applied to a ridiculous premise. Essentially, the issues are not conceptual, but in execution.

Tabby

I'm always baffled by people that go "Oh bad reviews... I'll not watch it then" Like, can you not just watch it and form opinions for yourself instead of having other people tell you what's good or not? Some of the movies I've enjoyed the most were reviewed poorly.

These complaints about
Batman killing
baffles me. He's literally done the same thing in Burton's movies and Nolan's but this time it's a complaint? Especially since it makes sense since we're seeing an olded more jaded and damaged Batman? Like come on now.

PBY

Banned
I'm always baffled by people that go "Oh bad reviews... I'll not watch it then" Like, can you not just watch it and form opinions for yourself instead of having other people tell you what's good or not?

Some of the movies I've enjoyed the most were reviewed poorly.

These complaints about
Batman killing
baffles me. He's literally done the same thing in Burton's movies and NOlan but this time it's a complaint? Especially since it makes sense since we're seeing an olded more jaded and damaged Batman? Like come on now.

Forreal. I'll probably not even like this given MoS - but this is a massive movie, I need to see it. I almost think the reviews have me more intrigued, than say, if it had scored in the 50/60 range on RT.

Listening to the MOS soundtrack, re-watching MOS today and BvS tomorrow, finallt. Feels good.

Should I have a couple of drinks before watching the movie or I need my thinking unimpaired GAF?

Please respond.

I'm always baffled by people that go "Oh bad reviews... I'll not watch it then" Like, can you not just watch it and form opinions for yourself instead of having other people tell you what's good or not? Some of the movies I've enjoyed the most were reviewed poorly.

These complaints about
Batman killing
baffles me. He's literally done the same thing in Burton's movies and Nolan's but this time it's a complaint? Especially since it makes sense since we're seeing an olded more jaded and damaged Batman? Like come on now.

Nothing wrong with that. If someone was only somewhat interested in this and the reviews make them feel like it's not worth the money/time/effort, than that's fine.

ZeroX03

Banned

Non spoilers impressions/review brah/Sish

I guess critics don't like that. When was the last "weird" Superhero movie? Watchmen?

It's the most inconsistent superhero film I think I've ever seen. When stuff flops, it flops hard. But at the same time there's strokes of brilliance. There's stuff that just shouldn't work, there's no justification, but it does. And others where the plot naturally leads to something and it doesn't work. So hard to explain my feelings. I'll echo the sentiment that the first half is much weaker and poorly paced to the second. And the archetypal god angle is very much a focus. It's late. I need to sleep on it.

One very good, and one very bad:

Wonder Woman's theme is fucking kick ass in context.

A certain someone's cameo is fucking horrendous, despite drawing from great material.

duckroll

But that isn't what he is trying to teach him. At least in my view, what he's saying is much more, be careful. He knows that Clark isn't ready for his secret to come out, and he's trying to teach his son that actions have consequences and he needs to think about that. He clearly did teach him about the sanctity of life and right and wrong, because Clark spends years after Johnathan's death running around the world helping people.

Well, whether he is trying to teach that or not is besides the point, what he says as a parent has impact, and Clark clearly respects him. I mean it's great that Clark eventually turned out to be a great guy, but that wasn't a great parenting scene at all! I know that's the point, that even a great father can have a moment of weakness and say the wrong things because he loves his son too much, but it just disgusts me a bit too much. Especially the way it was delivered.

duckroll

I think his performance in general was really good, which is why that particular scene bugs me so much. It just.. wasn't necessary.

IconGrist

Woke up to Collider crew having a "liked it but didn't love it" attitude. Pretty much every reviewer I follow said the same except for the one exception who loved it.

Going to turn out way more divisive than Man of Steel.

PBY

Banned
Woke up to Collider crew having a "liked it but didn't love it" attitude. Pretty much every reviewer I follow said the same except for the one exception who loved it.

Going to turn out way more divisive than Man of Steel.

Seems like its less mixed, and more universally disliked than MoS no?

Well, whether he is trying to teach that or not is besides the point, what he says as a parent has impact, and Clark clearly respects him. I mean it's great that Clark eventually turned out to be a great guy, but that wasn't a great parenting scene at all! I know that's the point, that even a great father can have a moment of weakness and say the wrong things because he loves his son too much, but it just disgusts me a bit too much. Especially the way it was delivered.

My big thing was that it was just such a great human moment, and it's clearly not supposed to be part of his "teaching" because we got stuff like...

The scene were Jonathan teaches Clark to not fight the bully was great though.

which was amazing.

I guess it sort of sticks out because overall Superman's origin is mythic, and the maybe moment was anything but.

He just said that there's critics who like it, lol.

That's not what universally means!

IconGrist

Hey that advanced screening thing for WB apparently will work out for me. Already had an invites. I don't care about that particular movie but this means I have hope I'll get to see SS early. :D

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Jup. You have movies that over time, people start to appreciate more. This I think will be the opposite of that, partly because not a lot of people would like to watch it again and are not open to changing their mind and whatnot. And seeing as the movie didn't start at a good place to begin with, I have no doubt within a few months a lot of people wil call it the worst CBM in the last 15-20 years.

CBM don't age well and even beloved ones are shat on after a few years. Even more so with this movie.

A truly incredible trailer.

Some many great lines that really pop and that Zimmer score is just incredible in the way that it keeps building.

Amazing.
Aren't you a studio insider/part of the industry/know people?

What are your thoughts on this critical savaging and the box office prospects or the doom and gloom predictions for the DC?

What's your position on the DC fans getting their civil liberties trampled on in the RT thread, living in fear?

duckroll

My big thing was that it was just such a great human moment, and it's clearly not supposed to be part of his "teaching" because we got stuff like...

I guess my hang up is that I don't want to see that side of humanity in him. It's kinda like how no one wants to see a respected dad cheat on his wife, even though it could be a human moment.

PBY

Banned
Jup. You have movies that over time, people start to appreciate more. This I think will be the opposite of that, partly because not a lot of people would like to watch it again and are not open to changing their mind and whatnot. And seeing as the movie didn't start at a good place to begin with, I have no doubt within a few months a lot of people wil call it the worst CBM in the last 15-20 years.

CBM don't age well and even beloved ones are shat on after a few years. Even more so with this movie.

Lol it won't be regarded as the worst CBM in the last 20 years, come on. It might get a bad rap though. I'm so fucking curious to watch it after reading these reviews.

Rooster12

It's the most inconsistent superhero film I think I've ever seen. When stuff flops, it flops hard. But at the same time there's strokes of brilliance. There's stuff that just shouldn't work, there's no justification, but it does. .

Would you say the film is "experimental"?

IconGrist

This biggest problem I'm seeing is there is too much packed in. Maybe not enough for two movies but some of it either didn't need to exist or could have happened in another movie. Like take all of Diana's stuff and keep it to Wonder Woman.

Boke1879

I mean we'll see how it fares. Like I said if anything people will be mixed. Some will like it, some will love it and others will hate it. I'm seeing it Friday and again on saturday as I usually do with big blockbusters. I mean you already have people who saw it early who plan on seeing it again.

ZeroX03

Banned
Would you say the film is "experimental"?

Not the word I would use. I'll have to think on it more.

I just want to know one thing.

Does Superman shines in this?

Or he is just background for the Bat to shine?

It's not as Bat-sided as you might think. He gets some human moments, and plenty of good action and screen time but still not what he deserves. He isn't close to All-Star Superman yet.

I just want to know one thing.

Does Superman shines in this?

Or he is just background for the Bat to shine?

If you want Superman shine, just watch Henry Cavill interviews.
I haven't seen the movie yet

I am expecting Sucker Punch now, just to be sure not to be more disappointed right now.

Raptor

He's easily the most heroic character in the movie and focus of the whole plot.

Not the word I would use. I'll have to think on it more.

It's not as Bat-sided as you might think. He gets some human moments, and plenty of good action and screen time but still not what he deserves. He isn't close to All-Star Superman yet.

Thats all I wanted, a Superman movie, not a movie with Superman thrown in.

Thanks.

:)

IconGrist

If you want Superman shine, just watch Henry Cavill interviews.
I haven't seen the movie yet

I am expecting Sucker Punch now, just to be sure not to be more disappointed right now.

I liked Sucker Punch. *shrug*

I'm pretty curious now if I'll end up hating BvS, lol. That would be a hell of an end to what has been basically a perfect March for me.

I'm pretty curious now if I'll end up hating BvS, lol. That would be a hell of an end to what has been basically a perfect March for me.

Honesty, I hate Sucker Punch because the internet hates it, I am not even sure how I reacted to this movie. My opinion on this movie is solely based on the 'internets' opinion. If I think back I might've find this movie either enjoyable or meh, but not terrible. But what do I know.

Why though?, people hate it. (I don't, I just see it as a risk that resulted in failure) what's your opinion on it?

IconGrist

Honesty, I hate Sucker Punch because the internet hates it, I am not even sure how I reacted to this movie. My opinion on this movie is solely based on the 'internets' opinion. If I think back I might've find this movie either enjoyable or meh, but not terrible. But what do I know.

Haha, I'm not even sure what that means. Are you saying the internet consensus changed your opinion? That has to feel awful. I don't think I would find enjoyment in anything if that were the case for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom