• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

Honesty, I hate Sucker Punch because the internet hates it, I am not even sure how I reacted to this movie. My opinion on this movie is solely based on the 'internets' opinion. If I think back I might've find this movie either enjoyable or meh, but not terrible. But what do I know.

Come on man. I admit it's disappointing and it makes you wonder if you'll enjoy the film or go in with a sour experience expecting it to be awful. But just go in expecting nothing and form and opinion yourself.

Haha, I'm not even sure what that means. Are you saying the internet consensus changed your opinion? That has to feel awful. I don't think I would find enjoyment in anything if that were the case for me.

Yeah, I don't have any memories, a lot of people are saying it's shit, so it must be shit.

Busty

Banned
Aren't you a studio insider/part of the industry/know people?

I was in contact with people from the studio as early as late January (off the top of my head) and there was no sense that BvS was an impending disaster for the studio. I suspect that the vicious reviews from some sections of the press may have taken them by surprise given that they were confident enough to show the film to thousands and thousands of people on Sunday night.

What are your thoughts on this critical savaging and the box office prospects or the doom and gloom predictions for the DC?

I think Warners are moving full steam ahead with the DC slate regardless for the time being given that so much has been committed already the only way that they jam on the emergency brake is if Suicide Squad bombs (in the true sense of the word) and there isn't much interest in the DCU across the board in terms of merch and ancillary markets etc. But even then they still have Wonder Woman in the can so that will get released regardless.

If the absolute worst case scenario happens then expect Justice League 2 to quietly be postponed indefinitely and the focus to go on Affleck's Batman trilogy. Frankly I think that WB are in a position where even if something doesn't work (stand alone Flash film??) then they'll adjust and concentrate on what does.

In short I do not see Warners doing down the full and total reboot road with the DCU any time soon given that everything would have to totally and utterly implode for that to happen and even if BvS is terrible I just don't see that happening.

Batman works by all accounts and that's what they'll double down on.

What's your position on the DC fans getting their civil liberties trampled on in the RT thread, living in fear?

In short - When Hilary takes office she'll make sure that DC fans go on the endangered species list.
:p

longer - All sections of fandom have those who go, shall we say, utterly bonkers when something they love doesn't go their way. At the moment Marvel are undoubtedly in the ascension but if (and when given the cyclical nature of showbiz?) the positions were ever to be switched I fully expect a section of Marvel fandom to become

duckroll

So duckroll, whats your favorite comicbook movie that has come out?

I dunno. I don't think I have a specific favorite one. Ang Lee's Hulk and The Dark Knight are probably the ones that had the strongest impact on me from the initial viewings. Other than that I really liked Spider-man 2, X-Men 2, Batman Begins, The Avengers, Kingsman, Winter Soldier. I used to like Burton's Batman films quite a bit, but I don't think they've aged very well.

PBY

Banned
I dunno. I don't think I have a specific favorite one. Ang Lee's Hulk and The Dark Knight are probably the ones that had the strongest impact on me from the initial viewings. Other than that I really liked Spider-man 2, X-Men 2, Batman Begins, The Avengers, Kingsman, Winter Soldier. I used to like Burton's Batman films quite a bit, but I don't think they've aged very well.

Strong list, except don't really like Winter Soldier.

SM2 is my GOAT tho, Dark Knight close 2nd.

duckroll

Strong list, except don't really like Winter Soldier.

SM2 is my GOAT tho, Dark Knight close 2nd.

I really love the Winter Soldier out of all the entire new Marvel slate. Rewatching it definitely shows that it's not as strong a political thriller as it lets on, the overall thriller plot is kinda weak, but the physical action and set pieces really make up for it. It also helps that I'm a -huge- fan of Brubaker's run on Captain America, so I'm kinda biased towards Winter Soldier as a character. Lol.

Vinter

How much of an importance is the reviews for this movie if it does well financially? Surely WB didnt expect glowing reviews across the board when they hired Snyder as director for BvS and JL, given his track record? I know they are worse than expected, but I just have to assume that money is ultimately what decides the DCEU fate?

How much of an importance is the reviews for this movie if it does well financially? Surely WB didnt expect glowing reviews across the board when they hired Snyder as director for BvS and JL, given his track record? I know they are worse than expected, but I just have to assume that money is ultimately what decides the DCEU fate?

It wouldn't affect the plans too much, but I think they care either way.

VanWinkle

Lol it won't be regarded as the worst CBM in the last 20 years, come on. It might get a bad rap though. I'm so fucking curious to watch it after reading these reviews.

Yeah there is no WAY. I guarantee ASM2, Xmen Origins, Fantastic Four (the early ones AND the new one) and probably others will continue to be looked at far more negatively. But I haven't seen the movie yet so I'm not going to make any real judgments.

Penguin

The bigger tell is fans reactions and box office drop.

Like it's never the "bad" movie but how it may impact Justice League's performance down the road.

I think this movie will have decent WOM because doesn't end as... negatively to some as MoS did

Effect

Watched the Collider non-spoiler review and the impression I'm getting largely is that the film is not horrible or close to that. They were all entertained by it. Outside of Ellis, and he didn't care for Man of Steel much, they all liked the film to varying degrees. It has issues and it's a your millage my vary situation when it comes to those issues. They all didn't have the same issues for the most part either. So as Ellis said it was entertaining but flawed. So that's something to go on from them.

Still in to see it but I'd be lying if I said excitement hasn't dropped a little. Maybe that's a good thing. I won't go into it with expectations higher then I should have had and will enjoy the movie more as a result.

Rooster12

If the absolute worst case scenario happens then expect Justice League 2 to quietly be postponed indefinitely and the focus to go on Affleck's Batman trilogy. Frankly I think that WB are in a position where even if something doesn't work (stand alone Flash film??) then they'll adjust and concentrate on what does.

Doing nothing but Batman isn't how you build a universe.....

strafer

Damn, I thought no one liked Ang Lees Hulk. Nice.

I liked it too. I prefer it over the Norton one.

Just saw it...
Here's where I stand with superhero movies : I like Snyder most of the time, I LOVED Man of Steel, I'm not really into the MCU (but I do like Marvel) and I really want the DCU to succeed. My favorites in no particular order : Superman / Man of Steel / Spider-Man 2 / X-Men 2 / Blade 2 / Dark Knight Trilogy / Batman Returns.

This movie was a gigantic mess, the kind that I haven't seen in long time. The first 10 minutes were incredibly strong but the more the setup for the fight kept going and going and the less I cared about anyone in the film. When the fight started, I was past the point of no-return and had no emotional connection to the movie at all. My favorite superheroes are Batman and Superman but I did not give a shit about what was happening to them. The two big fights in the film are not particularly good and don't compare well to what was in Man of Steel. The confrontation that gives its title to the movie is brief and barely resolved. Dawn of Justice, yes maybe, Batman v Superman, not at all.

The theatre was half full and there were audible laughs during the "emotional ending". I was just bored.

The hints toward the greater DCU are completely shoehorned into the story and serve no purpose. Wonder Woman looked cool but there is absolutely no reason for her presence in the film. Anybody who doesn't know who she is (and that's a lot of people outside of America) will be baffled as to why there is a third superhero all of a sudden. Gal Gadot doesn't speak much but when she did, I wasn't convinced. Affleck is good as the
serial killer
dressed as Batman, hopefully he gets to play the actual character in the future. Eisenberg is yet again a reinterpretation of Jim Carrey's Riddler, as was Jamie Fox in Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Nothing makes sense dramatically in this movie. Snyder forced a lot of scenes from comics he likes without trying to justify them. Batman has a lot of scenes where he repeats some of the dialogs from the Dark Knight Returns, except he has no reason to, I guess it just sounded cool to Snyder.

I had no problems with the tone of Man of Steel but this movie is bleak and completely joyless. The DCU is in serious trouble, I absolutely do not want a Justice League movie in this style.

As a DC fan and a Man of Steel fan, I feel really bad. If I had to rate it, I would give it 3.5/10. Some parts of it are great (the cinematography, the score, Affleck), but absolutely none of it actually works as a film.

Now, I'm going to pour myself a drink and play some Injustice.

kmag

Just saw it...
Here's where I stand with superhero movies : I like Snyder most of the time, I LOVED Man of Steel, I'm not really into the MCU (but I do like Marvel) and I really want the DCU to succeed. My favorites in no particular order : Superman / Man of Steel / Spider-Man 2 / X-Men 2 / Blade 2 / Dark Knight Trilogy / Batman Returns.

This movie was a gigantic mess, the kind that I haven't seen in long time. The first 10 minutes were incredibly strong but the more the setup for the fight kept going and going and the less I cared about anyone in the film. When the fight started, I was past the point of no-return and had no emotional connection to the movie at all. My favorite superheroes are Batman and Superman but I did not give a shit about what was happening to them. The two big fights in the film are not particularly good and don't compare well to what was in Man of Steel. The confrontation that gives its title to the movie is brief and barely resolved. Dawn of Justice, yes maybe, Batman v Superman, not at all.

The theatre was half full and there were audible laughs during the "emotional ending". I was just bored.

The hints toward the greater DCU are completely shoehorned into the story and serve no purpose. Wonder Woman looked cool but there is absolutely no reason for her presence in the film. Anybody who doesn't know who she is (and that's a lot of people outside of America) will be baffled as to why there is a third superhero all of a sudden. Gal Gadot doesn't speak much but when she did, I wasn't convinced. Affleck is good as the
serial killer
dressed as Batman, hopefully he gets to play the actual character in the future. Eisenberg is yet again a reinterpretation of Jim Carrey's Riddler, as was Jamie Fox in Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Nothing makes sense dramatically in this movie. Snyder forced a lot of scenes from comics he likes without trying to justify them. Batman has a lot of scenes where he repeats some of the dialogs from the Dark Knight Returns, except he has no reason to, I guess it just sounded cool to Snyder.

I had no problems with the tone of Man of Steel but this movie is bleak and completely joyless. The DCU is in serious trouble, I absolutely do not want a Justice League movie in this style.

As a DC fan and a Man of Steel fan, I feel really bad. If I had to rate it, I would give it 3.5/10. Some parts of it are great (the cinematography, the score, Affleck), but absolutely none of it actually works as a film.

I thought Gadot was ok, she wasn't asked to do much,
other than look slinky and pretty as Diana
but she did it pretty well.
there was a bit of decent interplay with Bruce, and WW had a bit of impact in the short screen time

I thought Gadot was ok, she wasn't asked to much, but she did it pretty well.

I don't know, I'll wait until the Wonder Woman movie to judge her acting considering she didn't have much to do here but I wasn't convinced by her in the last scene. She was ok during the fight.

BadAss2961

Hard to tell right now, but critics can affect word of mouth. My brother has no idea who Deadpool is, but somehow he heard about the buzz from all the positive reviews and casually brought it up to me a couple times knowing i'm into this shit. He didn't go see it, but as a total casual that doesn't visit sites or anything, the hype reached him. I'm still not sure how, but it did.

Batman v Superman could have a bit of an opposite effect unless the masses come out of it hyped and spread the word. People love Batman and I haven't seen much that suggests Snyder didn't absolutely nail his part, even some of the bad reviews had to give props there. That should help word of mouth tremendously.

El Maybe's latest positive rant on how much the film works is good for optimism. I'll have to stop calling him that if I totally agree after I see it.

kmag

Watched the Collider non-spoiler review and the impression I'm getting largely is that the film is not horrible or close to that. They were all entertained by it. Outside of Ellis, and he didn't care for Man of Steel much, they all liked the film to varying degrees. It has issues and it's a your millage my vary situation when it comes to those issues. They all didn't have the same issues for the most part either. So as Ellis said it was entertaining but flawed. So that's something to go on from them.

Still in to see it but I'd be lying if I said excitement hasn't dropped. Maybe that's a good thing. I won't go into it with expectations higher then I should have had and will enjoy the movie more as a result.

imho it's not a bad movie (although there are parts of the first act where it's barely competently put together), it's just a sloppy unfocused one. If you can get past the rather tortured plot and the mess of the first act (after an admittedly strong opening) then it's not a bad movie at all. For good or for bad Synder does what Synder does, there's some extremely clunky attempts at setting up the cinematic universe which don't help, especially as those attempts don't go anywhere in the context of this movie.

Not terribly sure they've got a handle of what they really want to do with the characterization of Superman, though Batman has a pretty decent arc.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I really wonder if the R-rated cut could fix the problems a lot of people have with the pacing and overall flow of the movie. And if it was WB or Snyder himself who didn't want to have that version (my guess is WB) in theaters.

Owh and people just lying about what happens in the movie now (the spoilers guy)? Lol. Anyway, Batman Cinematic Universe. Get ready for it!

duckroll

I really wonder if the R-rated cut could fix the problems a lot of people have with the pacing and overall flow of the movie. And if it was WB or Snyder himself who didn't want to have that version (my guess is WB) in theaters.

Owh and people just lying about what happens in the movie now (the spoilers guy)? Lol. Anyway, Batman Cinematic Universe. Get ready for it!

You don't put out a 3 hour Batman vs Superman movie in theaters. It's just a bad idea.

Ahasverus

Snyder says WB wanted the 3hrs version but he insisted in cutting everything he could. He's a hack, end of the story.

kmag

Without being specific, I think a Directors cut would help, although the first act is already really long.

As it is in my opinion, the first act is just plain bad, some individual scenes aside. It's a clunky disjointed mess which seems to be missing a bunch of scenes. You jump from character to character, place to place in what amounts to a kind of hour long extended montage of scenes (it's not really a montage) with nary an establishing shot or any real sense of chronology.

Vinter

Hard to tell right now, but critics can affect word of mouth. My brother has no idea who Deadpool is, but somehow he heard about the buzz from all the positive reviews and casually brought it up to me a couple times knowing i'm into this shit. He didn't go see it, but as a total casual that doesn't visit sites or anything, the hype reached him. I'm still not sure how, but it did.

Batman v Superman could have a bit of an opposite effect unless the masses come out of it hyped and spread the word. People love Batman and I haven't seen much that suggests Snyder didn't absolutely nail his part, even some of the bad reviews had to give props there. That should help word of mouth tremendously.

El Maybe's latest positive rant on how much the film works is good for optimism. I'll have to stop calling him that if I totally agree after I see it.
Yeah, I guess the first impressions will play its part for sure. I guess we know more after the weekend when the numbers start to roll out.

BadAss2961

Snyder said he didn't want a 3 hour movie in theaters for this.

Probably for the best since it might make a little extra bank with more screenings. Plus I really doubt it would've made a difference with critics anyway.

duckroll

From a financial pov? Sure. But if it's a better movie that way, should have gone with it.

It's not just financial. I feel that there's a certain expectation with certain types of movies. Then again, TDKR was 15 minutes longer than this and almost 3 hours long too. So whatever I guess. The argument that the movie shouldn't be 3 hours because of kids seems silly too now that I think about it, since... kids watching this film seem like a terrible idea anyway. Lol.

IconGrist

Yeah. I'm interested in your opinion.

I know Snyder has said the movie was supposed to be some meta commentary on how people view women in action movies. The expectations we as an audience set for the pretty woman who kicks ass. It completely failed in this regard because that point was not delivered. It just came off like a thing he said to make his movie sound smarter than it actually was. Where my opinion came in was I was unaware of any of that discussion before I saw the movie. I went into it completely blind. The only thing I knew about it was that Snyder directed it. I didn't even know he wrote it until I saw it in the credits.

The narrative about a girl who went through multiple tragedies in basically the span of a day and ended up broken hit for me. Her mind creating a separate reality within a separate reality to remove herself from her actual reality as much as possible didn't come off as far-fetched. And I liked how everything in these fake worlds mirrored what was actually going on in the real world. I really dug the personas she created for everyone and these fake relationships/friendships. I think the movies biggest failing in the theatrical cut was the removal of the High Roller scene. That to me tied everything together to help understand what Baby Doll really wanted so I always recommend the Director's Cut. All of that was completely fine. I don't think the movie was stellar but I enjoyed it.

Here's what I think killed it for a lot of people. The second biggest failing was not giving us enough "real" Blue. After Baby is lobotomized we are treated to real Blue and there's a disconnect because we only saw him briefly at the beginning of the movie. He came off as a pimp in the dream world but then switches to rapist in reality and it came out of nowhere. We can't make that connection because we never got a "real" anybody to properly map out where Baby Doll's mind changed things. It's third biggest failing was trying to make us give a shit about Sweet Pea at the end. I think it was in there just because Zack thought that needed to be tied up. Ending the movie with just Baby's lobotomy and "peace of mind" would have sufficed.

Those weren't enough to kill the movie for me but I can certainly see how it would for others.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Without being specific, I think a Directors cut would help, although the first act is already really long.

As it is in my opinion, the first act is just plain bad, some individual scenes aside. It's a clunky disjointed mess which seems to be missing a bunch of scenes. You jump from character to character, place to place in what amounts to a kind of hour long extended montage of scenes (it's not really a montage) with nary an establishing shot or any real sense of chronology.

I'll be seeing it in 6 hours, I don't think the first act will be a problem for me. I sit through pretty much everything and I am easy to please. Hell, I'm someone who liked Only God Forgives, but at the same time giggle when I see Cap punching Tony (then again, fuck IM).

It's not just financial. I feel that there's a certain expectation with certain types of movies. Then again, TDKR was 15 minutes longer than this and almost 3 hours long too. So whatever I guess. The argument that the movie shouldn't be 3 hours because of kids seems silly too now that I think about it, since... kids watching this film seem like a terrible idea anyway. Lol.

The hell with the kids, double down WB. R-rated everything, go as dark as you can. Make JL NC-17
kidding
not really, I'd watch it.

Firemind

I saw Alien 3 when I was 7. I'm scarred for life now.

Just saw it...

serial killer

please have the balls to have your own opinion instead of regurgitating what critics think or you could also shut the fuck up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom