• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cameron's explanation of Titanic's underlying themes in that show ("I wanted to make teenage girls cry") is the GOAT commentary for Titanic though

I always love when celebs play absurd versions of themselves, like in Extras or Entourage

Shit is cash money

please have the balls to have your own opinion instead of regurgitating what critics think or you could also shut the fuck up

What the hell is wrong with you ? I just said repeatedly that I love Man of Steel and Snyder despite that not necessarily being a popular opinion. I wanted to like this movie really bad since the MCU doesn't really work for me but it just didn't happen, there is no reason for your hostility.

IconGrist

"Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice smothers a potentially powerful story -- and some of America's most iconic superheroes -- in a grim whirlwind of effects-driven action."

That's...actually not that bad, lol. I expected far worse given the RT score.

Stop talking to dead people. They can't respond. :p

You are quickly becoming my favorite mod. I was swayed for a while with all the bish hype but I'm seeing the light.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
There is nothing worse than wasted potential.

No one expects anything from drivel like Transformers.

But Batman and Superman?

Well, to be fair. After Man of Steel most people did not expect much from this movie, so there is that. Given the critical reaction that doesn't sound as bad tbh.

BadAss2961

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice smothers a potentially powerful story -- and some of America's most iconic superheroes -- in a grim whirlwind of effects-driven action.
Sounds like what I was expecting, just with a negative spin on it.

Yager

Banned
You are quickly becoming my favorite mod. I was swayed for a while with all the bish hype but I'm seeing the light.

tumblr_nn2fwh5wVs1qd479ro1_1280.gif

Firemind

There is nothing worse than wasted potential.

No one expects anything from drivel like Transformers.

But Batman and Superman?
Transformers absolutely has the potential to be a competent film. If only they hired a director and screenwriter who gave a shit about the characters.

duckroll

Transformers can absolutely be a competent film. If only they hired a director and screenwriter who gave a shit about the characters.

I dunno, they hired like 15 writers and had a whole writers' summit! I doubt the spin offs are really going to be much better though.

Will still watch each and every one. Lol.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I never watched any of the Transformer movies, decided to check TF4 in the theater with a friend. It made me sick...like I actually felt really bad afterwards. Props to Bay for that one I guess, didn't know you could make someone sick with a movie like that.

3N16MA

Banned
I never watched any of the Transformer movies, decided to check TF4 in the theater with a friend. It made me sick...like I actually felt really bad afterwards. Props to Bay for that one I guess, didn't know you could make someone sick with a movie like that.

The first film is not bad.

duckroll

The problem with TF movies is that they're really long and bloated. I liked a lot of the corrections they did in AoE in terms of structure. The villains were presented better, there were good set pieces, and overall it feels like a "complete" movie. But it's still... so long. There are so many unnecessary scenes. The leanest and most concise TF film is still the first one.

I love big budget live action + CG robot action. I love Michael Bay. I just wish.... someone would tell him that these movies need to be 2 hours tops.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
The fact that we are engaging in conversations about transformers in the DC Cinematic Universe thread sums up how low DCCU has fallen. I have zero Interest in Suicide Squad ( not because I think as a stand alone film it might not be good ) but I have lost all interest in this universe in one fell swoop. If they retcon the shit that happens in this movie with new actors ( a new batman , superman, new directors etc.. ) then I may be interested again.

a916

So a lot of the issues that people are having, other than the superfluous ones of it's too dark or need more jokes... are fundamental ones like pacing and editing being ones that are coming up often.

How does a movie that sat on the shelf for 15 months suffer from editing problems? How do you not chisel that thing into a diamond after 15 months?

I like Snyder and his vision and all that he brings visually to movies (haven't seen BVS yet) but WB needs to bring in some change because they can't afford to have another shitstorm for JL.

The fact that we are engaging in conversations about transformers in the DC Cinematic Universe thread sums up how low DCCU has fallen. I have zero Interest in Suicide Squad ( not because I think as a stand alone film it might not be good ) but I have lost all interest in this universe in one fell swoop. If they retcon the shit that happens in this movie with new actors ( a new batman , superman, new directors etc.. ) then I may be interested again.

There's nothing wrong with those two... especially not Batman lol.

After seeing "BvS" last night, I'm going to adjust my opening weekend box office prediction from over $200 million to over $125 million.
- Jon Schnepp

Oh god... that's not going to be good if that happens.

Would be absolutely shocked if Snyder leaves JL. Starts filming like 3 weeks into BvS box office, not really enough to judge unless it really really tanks.

Plus all that preproduction art, shot setups, shooting schedules, etc., those are all his. Heck, he even cowrote the script. You cant just swap out directors without a massive maybe 1.5 + year delay

I know Snyder has said the movie was supposed to be some meta commentary on how people view women in action movies. The expectations we as an audience set for the pretty woman who kicks ass. It completely failed in this regard because that point was not delivered. It just came off like a thing he said to make his movie sound smarter than it actually was. Where my opinion came in was I was unaware of any of that discussion before I saw the movie. I went into it completely blind. The only thing I knew about it was that Snyder directed it. I didn't even know he wrote it until I saw it in the credits.

The narrative about a girl who went through multiple tragedies in basically the span of a day and ended up broken hit for me. Her mind creating a separate reality within a separate reality to remove herself from her actual reality as much as possible didn't come off as far-fetched. And I liked how everything in these fake worlds mirrored what was actually going on in the real world. I really dug the personas she created for everyone and these fake relationships/friendships. I think the movies biggest failing in the theatrical cut was the removal of the High Roller scene. That to me tied everything together to help understand what Baby Doll really wanted so I always recommend the Director's Cut. All of that was completely fine. I don't think the movie was stellar but I enjoyed it.

Here's what I think killed it for a lot of people. The second biggest failing was not giving us enough "real" Blue. After Baby is lobotomized we are treated to real Blue and there's a disconnect because we only saw him briefly at the beginning of the movie. He came off as a pimp in the dream world but then switches to rapist in reality and it came out of nowhere. We can't make that connection because we never got a "real" anybody to properly map out where Baby Doll's mind changed things. It's third biggest failing was trying to make us give a shit about Sweet Pea at the end. I think it was in there just because Zack thought that needed to be tied up. Ending the movie with just Baby's lobotomy and "peace of mind" would have sufficed.

Those weren't enough to kill the movie for me but I can certainly see how it would for others.
Men thanks for this articulate response. Your opinion mirrors a lot what I feel about it. It's a failure but it does have ambitions. The scenes at the end with sweet pea are also unwarranted to me and blue sudden change is kind of weird in that it could have needed some characterization.

There's plenty to like in them, the action, cinematography is properly framed but if the theatrical cut lacks the high roller scene at the end it removes the actual payoff for the character and the audience.

Thanks for sharing, much appreciated.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
So a lot of the issues that people are having, other than the superfluous ones of it's too dark or need more jokes... are fundamental ones like pacing and editing being ones that are coming up often.

How does a movie that sat on the shelf for 15 months suffer from editing problems? How do you not chisel that thing into a diamond after 15 months?

I like Snyder and his vision and all that he brings visually to movies (haven't seen BVS yet) but WB needs to bring in some change because they can't afford to have another shitstorm for JL.

There's nothing wrong with those two... especially not Batman lol.

I cannot see Henry Cavill as superman anymore. The image has been tarnished badly.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Would be absolutely shocked if Snyder leaves JL. Starts filming like 3 weeks into BvS box office, not really enough to judge unless it really really tanks.

Plus all that preproduction art, shot setups, shooting schedules, etc., those are all his. Heck, he even cowrote the script. You cant just swap out directors without a massive maybe 1.5 + year delay

If WB cares about making this right, they should. If they don't, well I don't care either. If SS turns out great, then I'll just watch the non-Snyder DC films.

Firemind

I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm sure I'll digest it and discuss the highs and lows here at length. I've already asked a few of my mates to go there a second and third time. If there's anything Snyder directed films lack, it's boredom.

If WB cares about making this right, they should. If they don't, well I don't care either. If SS turns out great, then I'll just watch the non-Snyder DC films.

WB execs rationalized the 55% rotten score two and a half years ago. If it makes enough money, they'll (or their investors will) do the same for this 40%. Just hope and pray, Snyder steps back a little bit and gets some self-awareness.

a916

WB execs rationalized the 55% rotten score two and a half years ago. If it makes enough money, they'll (or their investors will) do the same for this 40%. Just hope and pray, Snyder steps back a little bit and gets some self-awareness.

Schnepp, who's been ultra positive about this movie and felt it'll open at 200M, just dropped his prediction to $125M. If that actually happens, oh god...

generic_username

Schnepp, who's been ultra positive about this movie and felt it'll open at 200M, just dropped his prediction to $125M. If that actually happens, oh god...

I would be glad if it happens. Atleast that will get them to take their properties a lot more seriously - I mean Green Lantern, Superman and now Batman vs Superman ( three duds in a row ). There needs to be accountability somewhere.

BadAss2961

If you haven't, go see the movie bro. Then come again.

At the very least, Snyder's laid the groundwork for a great universe. The characters, the motivations, the costumes, the cast, the world itself, it's all there just like the comics. If the DCEU won't flourish critically with him, it easily could at some point without him directing. That's the beauty of a shared universe.

On to more positive news, Variety expects a $150-230M bump from China for the final gross. A huge increase from any other DC movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom