• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

Speaking of which, at what point are we going to open this thread up to spoiler talk? I know it will be awhile, but there is no way I'm going into those threads in the OT, they're just too crazy.. but I would like to talk about some of the stuff with people in this thread in a civil manner.

I would definitely wait until the opening weekend has passed... I mean by then, if you're in this thread, you probably should/have watched it. I'd be down to put it up for a vote thought.

Penguin

You should never lock yourself away from outside opinions though!

Yes, there's a lot of crap... Mr. Ripock or whatever seems to be doing victory laps in the review thread, but eh some decent discussion aside

Yes, there's a lot of crap... Mr. Ripock or whatever seems to be doing victory laps in the review thread, but eh some decent discussion aside

and while that's true what conversation is there to be had when people just want to celebrate a movie's "failure"?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I really wonder if the R-rated cut could fix the problems a lot of people have with the pacing and overall flow of the movie. And if it was WB or Snyder himself who didn't want to have that version (my guess is WB) in theaters.

Owh and people just lying about what happens in the movie now (the spoilers guy)? Lol. Anyway, Batman Cinematic Universe. Get ready for it!

But - I thought "they" understood the universe and the source material so well???

Snyder is hot garbage and the sooner he is gone from the DCCU the better.

3N16MA

Banned
The first images of The LEGO Batman Movie were released yesterday. Not sure if it was posted in here.

CRsJ5KN.jpg

InclG4S.jpg

5BpkSCk.jpg

gl0KXa7.jpg

YUkEWTn.jpg

rokero

I'm seeing the movie tomorrow so I haven't been checking out the different threads because of spoilers, but I wanna know has anyone involved in this film made comments regarding the reviews ?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

Doesn't surprise me, it has to be like christmas to him.

Thanks Snyder, now we have to put up with this garbage for a few more years. Please just fuck off, you and your wife.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah I remember him, was shitting on every single aspect of the movie before the reviews dropped. And now it's even worse, how horrible it is etc. Funny thing is he hasn't even seen the movie yet (probably). And for someone who hates all of this and has no interest blabla, he probably has the most posts in the RT thread. This is like Christmas for him.

Anyway, important question GAF: McDonald's or KFC? This is the Netherlands so we don't have all the stuff Murica has. It is this and BK, that is pretty much it.

How far do you think they could push back JL? I wouldn't mind them pushing it to 219 if we got GL and Shazam in the film as well.

Yeah I remember him, was shitting on every single aspect of the movie before the reviews dropped. And now it's even worse, how horrible it is etc. Funny thing is he hasn't even seen the movie yet (probably). And for someone who hates all of this and has no interest blabla, he probably has the most posts in the RT thread. This is like Christmas for him.

Anyway, important question GAF: McDonald's or KFC? This is the Netherlands so we don't have all the stuff Murica has. It is this and BK, that is pretty much it.

Burger King has better burgers, McDonalds has the best shakes, KFC has the best chicken (and I love their potato wedges over the other two's fries).

BadAss2961

Eh, both are mediocre at what they do. It just depends on what you're in the mood for.

3N16MA

Banned
Suicide Squad is a critical and box office success. Everyone wants WB to remove Snyder and give Ayer more control over the universe.

I see it happening.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
How far do you think they could push back JL? I wouldn't mind them pushing it to 219 if we got GL and Shazam in the film as well.

Burger King has better burgers, McDonalds has the best shakes, KFC has the best chicken (and I love their potato wedges over the other two's fries).

Agree, but can't have it all.

Eh, both are mediocre at what they do. It just depends on what you're in the mood for.

I like them both, feeling KFC right now but that could change.

Neither is good, but McDonalds is like a warcrime of food. It's the BvS of edible things you pay money for, buying it is like napalming a third world country.

Definitely KFC.

BadAss2961

Suicide Squad is a critical and box office success. Everyone wants WB to remove Snyder and give Ayer more control over the universe.

I see it happening.
There's nothing wrong with Snyder being in control of the universe. Nothing at all. Suicide Squad might not even be happening if it weren't for him.

The question is whether he should continue to direct. This BvS run isn't over yet (hasn't even really begun), and he's got Justice League. I say let him finish that as planned and we go from there. He was likely going to take a break at that point anyway.

PBY

Banned
There's nothing wrong with Snyder being in control of the universe. Nothing at all. Suicide Squad might not even be happening if it weren't for him.

The question is whether he should continue to direct. This BvS run isn't over yet (hasn't even really begun), and he's got Justice League. I say let him finish that as planned and we go from there. He was likely going to take a break at that point anyway.

These reviews are fucking SAVAGE though. Just saw deadspin's review - and it is insanely harsh. Is WB going to be cool with a JL movie that debuts to this kind of criticism? They can't take it back and assume JL2 will be cool if the first one gets rocked like BVS is.

Anth0ny

I can't imagine they'll let him do Justice League after the response to BvS, ESPECIALLY if its legs are cut off at the box office as a result.

desperate times call for desperate measures. Fucking up Justice League after Superman and Batman v Superman would be strike 3.

These reviews are fucking SAVAGE though. Just saw deadspin's review - and it is insanely harsh. Is WB going to be cool with a JL movie that debuts to this kind of criticism? They can't take it back and assume JL2 will be cool if the first one gets rocked like BVS is.
The RT being in the range of Sharkando 2/3 is ridiculous. There is no way this is at the same level of an Aslyum Sy/Fy film. Like literally impossible.

a916

The RT being in the range of Sharkando 2/3 is ridiculous. There is no way this is at the same level of an Aslyum Sy/Fy film. Like literally impossible.

When you have some reviewers going it's the worst modern comic book film ever and it's worse than Fantastic Four... you shouldn't be surprised when those critics then publish said review on RT.

Anth0ny

Obviously some films have different expectations going in than others which will drastically effect the score in the end.

A $250 million blockbuster with Batman and Superman in it is going to be held to higher standards than Sharknado lol

Mcweeny did a review for the movie and brought up the point that he felt like the studio asked Snyder to basically make a 2.5 hour JL trailer. He is putting most of the blame on WB and not as much on Snyder.

Strange because Mayimbe said something similar last night during his periscope. He made it sound like the studio might have been too hands-on with this movie because of their bad 2015.

BadAss2961

Dude is seething in his review... is he always like this? Comes across as a whiney fanboy whereas Roth comes across more professional.
Not reading the review, but I guess he feels vindicated after fanboys gave him shit for that report after the final trailer.

PBY

Banned

I mean... I haven't seen it so I can't really say either way? I know that these films are going for different things, so they're going to be judged accordingly, and I don't think you can just make comparisons across these types of films 1:1.

Mcweeny did a review for the movie and brought up the point that he felt like the studio asked Snyder to basically make a 2.5 hour JL trailer. He is putting most of the blame on WB and not as much on Snyder.

The thought has occurred to me, though Snyder is suppose to be the creative vision behind their universe. I could see WB saying "We want JL by 2017 and the next Man of Steel movie to have Batman in it and also these characters", so he had to make that happen. I'm not saying that's what happened but I think it's ambiguous as to who's fault it is.

I don't think this is Terrio's fault at all though, I hope he doesn't go anywhere.

This movie has the same score as a movie called Sharknado 3: Oh hell no!

I don't know what fucking happened at WB when they were making this, but Jesus Christ, this is heartbreaking.

PBY

Banned
The thought has occurred to me, though Snyder is suppose to be the creative vision behind their universe. I could see WB saying "We want JL by 2017 and the next Man of Steel movie to have Batman in it and also these characters", so he had to make that happen. I'm not saying that's what happened but I think it's ambiguous as to who's fault it is.

I don't think this is Terrio's fault at all though, I hope he doesn't go anywhere.

Not sure why people keep trying to shift the blame away from Snyder. The majority of his movies review in this range.

I now don't buy the whole "WB wanted a three hour movie and I was the one who took an axe to it" stuff from the press tour. I think it was the reverse.

Not sure why people keep trying to shift the blame away from Snyder. The majority of his movies review in this range.

I now don't buy the whole "WB wanted a three hour movie and I was the one who took an axe to it" stuff from the press tour. I think it was the reverse.

I mean it's hard to say without watching the movie and the director's cut.

Not so much a fan of snyder as just saying it wouldn't be the first time studio fuckery has happened. We're talking about the company with a bat embargo.

vegeta101

Banned
i've really been on a downer all day over the reviews. been really hyped since its announcement and now i don't know how i feel.
im going watching it on friday with my younger brother, we both love dc and i just really hope he likes the film more than anything else

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

Snyder said a bunch of times that it was him that threw the Batman name when coming up with an antagonist for Superman for the MoS sequel.

McWeeny is a friend of Snyder, I mean Snyder himself follows McWeeny on twitter, I wouldn't be surprised if he is just trying to save face for his friend by laying the blame on WB. But I also wouldn't be surprised if it's really WB's fault. Having WB suits like Charles Roven and Silverman messing up with this and part of this so-called 'brain trust' is not a good sign at all. The 'brain trust' thing has this corporate stench to it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Snyder said that?

No way in hell do I believe WB were okay with releasing a 3 hour flick

Snyder said that?

WB usually pretty offhands when it comes to films though.

They practically let george miller do a 10 year production on fury road.

But this was their golden egg, so who knows.

a916

Snyder claims Warner Bros was fine letting him release a 3 hour Batman v Superman movie, but he was the one who put the goal at 2:20 and kept telling people they needed to hit that mark.

It's pretty disheartening that a lot of these issues are script/editing related. Terrio was supposed to save us from that. What went wrong? Did it go wrong in the editing room? Why would anyone in their right mind let someone record that much extra footage, waste money, and then remove it.

A movie script should be tight and polished. Which is apparently a glaring problem with this movie.

WB usually pretty offhands when it comes to films though.

They practically let george miller do a 10 year production on fury road.

But this was their golden egg, so who knows.

Which is a good or a bad thing... in all honesty, Jim Lee and Geoff Johns should have a significant say in how these characters move forth. But they didn't go that route. They need someone in track of all this like a Fiege... I thought they had something like that in place but I'm not too sure I trust that group anymore.

Snyder said that?

Yup.

“We were just like, ‘Okay, look. We’re not making a three-hour movie. I mean, even I didn’t want to make a three-hour movie,” Snyder says. “I drove the cuts probably harder than anyone. The studio, they were willing to let the movie indulge pretty hard. But I felt like it’s at a manageable two-and-a-half hours. Let’s also not forget the credits are super long, the end credits. So the movie’s closer to two hours and 22 minutes.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/04/batman-v-superman-dawn-justice-r-rated-ultimate-edition

It's pretty disheartening that a lot of these issues are script/editing related. Terrio was supposed to save us from that. What went wrong?
He joined too late. Ben is the only person who says Terrio was there longer, but likely a political move since all speculation points to him being the one who pushed Goyer out in favor of Terrio.

IconGrist

Like I said before, a lot of this will fall on audience ratings and box office returns. It's not like WB is unaware of these things. Do you really think they at any point saw the movie and went "this will go over well with critics"? These guys aren't retarded. They've been doing this a long time and I have really hard time believing they didn't see these reviews coming. There's so much consensus study and secret screenings. You don't spend almost $300 million and not pay any attention to what you are doing. Especially on a project like Batman v Superman when you're big money maker properties are running thin and DC Comics is your best bet. They knew what the hell was going to happen and they still got Snyder backing everything. They don't give a shit about critical reviews. They care what the general audience think (ya know, the ones spending money) and judging by the overwhelming majority of impressions from them it's been a hit.

As long as BvS makes money WB will keep on trucking right along with the "Snyderverse". It would take considerable backlash to get WB to budge and some bad reviews yelling about bad CGI, "not muh hero" and no jokes aren't enough for that. Other stuff like pacing, editing and better writing can be fixed without changing plans.

I'm not saying that's definitive and I could be 100% wrong but I find anything else highly unlikely. The only reason Sony Pictures even budged is because their entire business structure was a goddamn trainwreck and it was public knowledge because of the leaks. Their deal with Marvel had less to do with "for the fans" and more to do with "we need some positive press for a change". WB is not currently in such a position and until they are you won't see them blink.

PBY

Banned
Like I said before, a lot of this will fall on audience ratings and box office returns. It's not like WB is unaware of these things. Do you really think they at any point saw the movie and went "this will go over well with critics"? These guys aren't retarded. They've been doing this a long time and I have really hard time believing they didn't see these reviews coming. There's so much consensus study and secret screenings. You don't spend almost $300 million and not pay any attention to what you are doing. Especially on a project like Batman v Superman when you're big money maker properties are running thin and DC Comics is your best bet. They knew what the hell was going to happen and they still got Snyder backing everything. They don't give a shit about critical reviews. They care what the general audience think (ya know, the ones spending money) and judging by the overwhelming majority of impressions from them it's been a hit.

As long as BvS makes money WB will keep on trucking right along with the "Snyderverse". It would take considerable backlash to get WB to budge and some bad reviews yelling about bad CGI, "not muh hero" and no jokes aren't enough for that. Other stuff like pacing, editing and better writing can be fixed without changing plans.

I'm not saying that's definitive and I could be 100% wrong but I find anything else highly unlikely. The only reason Sony Pictures even budged is because their entire business structure was a goddamn trainwreck and it was public knowledge because of the leaks. Their deal with Marvel had less to do with "for the fans" and more to do with "we need some positive press for a change". WB is not currently in such a position and until they are you won't see them blink.

Yeah, I totally disagree with this. I don't think they saw these reviews coming. This is their golden goose - if they thought the reviews were bad, they would have tried re-cutting some stuff, maybe reshoots. And I don't think they would appreciate JL starting off getting savaged in this same way. And this will still make shitloads of money, but if it had reviewed well, it'd definitely be making more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom