• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty disheartening that a lot of these issues are script/editing related. Terrio was supposed to save us from that. What went wrong? Did it go wrong in the editing room? Why would anyone in their right mind let someone record that much extra footage, waste money, and then remove it.

A movie script should be tight and polished. Which is apparently a glaring problem with this movie.

Terrio was hailed as a savior but he has absolutely no experience in writing this type of film and it shows. He doesn't know how to write about heroes. I'm looking forward to the director's cut but even if I agree that a lot of the movie's problems come from the pacing and the editing, there are a lot of fundamental script problems that are not going to be solved with extra footage. It's extremely hard to root for Superman and especially Batman in this film because of how they are written.

IconGrist

Yeah, I totally disagree with this. I don't think they saw these reviews coming. This is their golden goose - if they thought the reviews were bad, they would have tried re-cutting some stuff, maybe reshoots. And I don't think they would appreciate JL starting off getting savaged in this same way. And this will still make shitloads of money, but if it had reviewed well, it'd definitely be making more.

I would say the only thing stopping it from making more (which we have no base for because it's not even out yet) is that it's not kid friendly. That will be its biggest roadblock.

If we're going by average score rather than RT rating, it's at 5.2. Jurassic World, Age of Ultron, and F&F7 were all a 6.7 average score, and we know how those did in the box office

Ahasverus

But we can't settle for Transformers status. This must crash and burn. Then be redeemed by the Ultimate Cut, which I guess is going to be reworked heavily now.

These bad reviews makes me want to watch this movie even more actually.

I really didn't like Jurassic World or Age of Ultron and lower then those makes me wonder what is this movie.

As long as it's entertaining. Don't want to be bored

strafer

IQlOipA.png

These bad reviews makes me want to watch this movie even more actually.

I really didn't like Jurassic World or Age of Ultron and lower then those makes me wonder what is this movie.

As long as it's entertaining. Don't want to be bored
That's basically my metric for movies. To see seat-rumbling spectacle and action on the big screen is why I go to the theaters.

Drama and horror and such, I rather enjoy from the comfort and quiet of home, but I want to see big budget crazy action spectacle in theaters

A movie provides that and is relatively decent, I'm going to enjoy it without a doubt. So all the talk about the action in this only makes me want to see it more

Just came out of the movie. Really liked it. Batfleck is in beastmode. Cavill's Superman is an improvement compared to MOS. Lois is alright kinda like in MOS. Irons is a great Alfred. Eisenlex was a great villain. Plotting, funny,scary, weird. Different take on lex, some will like it. Some will hate it. No in the middle with this guy.

First half does have a few times were the editing feels off. Nothing major to me, but noticable.

Some things, you'll notice when watching, definitely felt a bit forced.
the chameos
could have been done better.

4.15/5

PS.: fuck 3D, damn cancer to movies, hate it. Notnin particular bvs, just in General.

Just came out of the movie. Really liked it. Batfleck is in beastmode. Cavill's Superman is an improvement compared to MOS. Lois is alright kinda like in MOS. Irons is a great Alfred. Eisenlex was a great villain. Plotting, funny,scary, weird. Different take on lex, some will like it. Some will hate it. No in the middle with this guy.

First half does have a few times were the editing feels off. Nothing major to me, but noticable.

the chameos

4.15/5

PS.: fuck 3D, damn cancer to movies, hate it. Notnin particular bvs, just in General.
So it's entertaining? Good gotta watch it twice once with friends and with cousins.

the chameos

4.15/5

Well, I'm glad you liked it. I didn't mind the 3D to be honest, even though I've have had a headache ever since I came out of the theater.
I definitely agree with you about your one complaint, I thought the
Aquaman
one looked particularly awkward.
But still, it's good to read some positive impressions.

Kinda disappointed, but I have to sleep over it. Will write more when I am home, here is how I liked the characters:

Batfleck: 8/10
Cavillman: 7/0
Lexy Eisenberg: 8/10
Alfred Irons: 9/10
Wonder Gadot: 8/10 (Wanted more of her)
Amy Lane: 6/10
Senator Hunter: 4/10 (totally wasted)
Doomsday: boring as fuck/10
Cameos: 3/10

PBY

Banned
Kinda disappointed, but I have to sleep over it. Will write more when I am home, here is how I liked the characters:

Batfleck: 8/10
Cavillman: 7/0
Lexy Eisenberg: 8/10
Alfred Irons: 9/10
Wonder Gadot: 8/10 (Wanted more of her)
Amy Lane: 6/10
Senator Hunter: 4/10 (totally wasted)
Doomsday: boring as fuck/10
Cameos: 3/10

Damn. You were disappointed? Welp.

Raptor

That's basically my metric for movies. To see seat-rumbling spectacle and action on the big screen is why I go to the theaters.

Drama and horror and such, I rather enjoy from the comfort and quiet of home, but I want to see big budget crazy action spectacle in theaters

A movie provides that and is relatively decent, I'm going to enjoy it without a doubt. So all the talk about the action in this only makes me want to see it more

Lol yes also this is an event movie.

My metric for movies is how rewatchable is, the more times I watch it the better the movie is for me.

I have watched Predator close to 250 times or more in my whole life.

:p

IconGrist

Lol yes also this is an event movie.

My metric for movies is how rewatchable is, the more times I watch it the better the movie is for me.

I have watched Predator close to 250 times or more in my whole life.

Hey someone who has watched one movie more than I have.

Raptor

Hey someone who has watched one movie more than I have.

I remember the first time my dad rented it for me, I end up watching it non stop all day and night.

And I was like 8 or something.

A forgettable non rewatchable movie is worse than a bad one IMO, I can rewatch Desolation of Smaug but I cant even watch half of The Avengers.

IconGrist

I remember the first time my dad rented it for me, I end up watching it non stop all day and night.

And I was like 8 or something.

A forgettable non rewatchable movie is worse than a bad one IMO, I can rewatch Desolation of Smaug but I cant even watch half of The Avengers.

I can rewatch Avengers just fine. I really liked that one (saw it 5 times at the theater). It's Age of Ultron I can't really get through. I don't hate it or anything I just found it a bit boring mostly.

I've seen Predator a fuckton of times.

I loved the Aquaman cameo, so bad ass.

That was the weakest one for me, Momoa is a badass but I thought it looked really weird.
Cyborg
was pretty cool though. I wonder how that one sequence is going to be interpreted by people who don't read comic books, it makes absolutely no sense in the context of the movie.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Crossposting from the other thread.

Just watched it and oh boy what a movie. It's not a bad movie but not good either, it just manages being mediocre because it has some good moments and scenes.

Here is a quick summary of what was great and not before I go to sleep.

+ Jeremy Irons, Gal Gadot and Ben Affleck were great and did a good job playing their characters, Henry Cavill was good as well but not as great as the others.
+ It has (mostly) good action and the movie looks great
+ Great Score

- It had one of the worst editing I've ever scene, almost every scene felt disconnected and jumpy. You definitely get the feeling that stuff was deleted.

- Due to the bad editing the overalls structure and pacing of the movie is crumbled.
- The character building is underdeveloped and motivation is lacking. Why did X did that and how did something like Y suddenly make him feel ... and do this.
- Shoehorning future relevant stuff that was unnecessary.
- As Good as Wonder Woman is, her presence is not needed, it's basically fanservice.
- Lex Luthor is bad, batshit bad. It's like he is a mix between Zuckerberg, the Joker and some other crazy guy who seems to be playing an intelligent guy.

I'd rank MoS as 7.8 and BvS as 6.0.

The one big negative that annoyed me about the movie is the bad editing, it feels amateurish almost like a fan made movie. The Extended Cut has to be really amazing to fix this mess and I'm seriously concerned about the DCCU, especially for Justice League with Snyder again at the helm.

Ahasverus

As in MoS, a good movie is buried in the cutting room. We're getting a second chance, but it was still made by Snyder, so I don't think it's going to amend any wrongs, but expand them. Someday, decades from now, a good editor will piece a great cut from those movies, just like Blade Runner.

IconGrist

Crossposting from the other thread.

Just watched it and oh boy what a movie. It's not a bad movie but not good either, it just manages being mediocre because it has some good moments and scenes.

Here is a quick summary of what was great and not before I go to sleep.

+ Jeremy Irons, Gal Gadot and Ben Affleck were great and did a good job playing their characters, Henry Cavill was good as well but not as great as the others.
+ It has (mostly) good action and the movie looks great
+ Great Score

- It had one of the worst editing I've ever scene, almost every scene felt disconnected and jumpy. You definitely get the feeling that stuff was deleted.

- Due to the bad editing the overalls structure and pacing of the movie is crumbled.
- The character building is underdeveloped and motivation is lacking. Why did X did that and how did something like Y suddenly make him feel ... and do this.
- Shoehorning future relevant stuff that was unnecessary.
- As Good as Wonder Woman is, her presence is not needed, it's basically fanservice.
- Lex Luthor is bad, batshit bad. It's like he is a mix between Zuckerberg, the Joker and some other crazy guy who seems to be playing an intelligent guy.

I'd rank MoS as 7.8 and BvS as 6.0.

The one big negative that annoyed me about the movie is the bad editing, it feels amateurish almost like a fan made movie. The Extended Cut has to be really amazing to fix this mess and I'm seriously concerned about the DCCU, especially for Justice League with Snyder again at the helm.

The more and more I see these impressions the more and more my consensus post rings true.

Raptor

As in MoS, a good movie is buried in the cutting room. We're getting a second chance, but it was still made by Snyder, so I don't think it's going to amend any wrongs, but expand them. Someday, decades from now, a good editor will piece a great cut from those movies, just like Blade Runner.

I even can find that godo movie in MoS even with the really bad editing, I hope I can find it in this one too.

a916

That RT score is actually dropping.. this thing might finish in the 20's when it's all said and done.

For a movie that was sitting the shelf for 15 months after it wrapped, how the hell does it suffer so much from editing? You had 15 months to look over and perfect it.

Will watch it tomorrow again. Liemax, still better and bigger than today´s screen.

Can´t wait for the extended cut. Depending on where stuff was cut, hopefully in the beginning, it could improve the pacing and editing quite a bit. And please more action, as it was great, and i want more.

So, as promised I will now give more detailed impressions, without spoilers of course.

The movie starts strong. Like it really sets up an intense atmosphere. It gets worse by the minute though. Snyder has a vision, which you can see in the movie, but the execution is at some points really terrible. The editing is not good, the knightmare scene was pure bullshit.

Holly Hunter was wasted, like fucking wasted. Although I liked Batman, I felt sometimes that he was not really wise. I could've understand it, because he is really angry in this movie and anger makes a man blind, but Snyder fucking fails with the editing and execution (I don't know if he did the editing though). Affleck did a fine job, he deserves better though.

You won't like Eisenberg if you didn't liked him in the trailers, but I really liked him. Gal Gadot is fine.

My biggest gripe with this movie is Doomsday and the stupid ending. I won't say anything, just watch it for yourself.

Oh, and one character has a really really dumb scene, you will know, when you watch it.

Kinda sad, that there was not much Batman building in this movie, the only building of Batman/Bruce Wayne as a character you already saw in the trailers. Here is hope that the R-rated cut is better for that negative point.

Feel free to ask me questions.

Finally I think, people who don't really have problems to undestand everything, but there are also scenes, where it's so on the nose...

I just read this review that was linked earlier, it's really fantastic, I wish I could write as well as this guy :

http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2016/03/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice.html

My favorite quote :

How fascinating that Snyder's better Watchmen adaptation is BVS

I completely agree, Watchmen is the better movie but BvS translates some of its themes so eloquently its almost scary.
The silver lining for me is that even though I didn't like the film at all and it's going to be extremely divisive, at least it should trigger some really interesting conversations in the next few years, which is something that very few blockbusters can claim to do.

PBY

Banned
So, as promised I will now give more detailed impressions, without spoilers of course.

The movie starts strong. Like it really sets up an intense atmosphere. It gets worse by the minute though. Snyder has a vision, which you can see in the movie, but the execution is at some points really terrible. The editing is not good, the knightmare scene was pure bullshit.

Holly Hunter was wasted, like fucking wasted. Although I liked Batman, I felt sometimes that he was not really wise. I could've understand it, because he is really angry in this movie and anger makes a man blind, but Snyder fucking fails with the editing and execution (I don't know if he did the editing though). Affleck did a fine job, he deserves better though.

You won't like Eisenberg if you didn't liked him in the trailers, but I really liked him. Gal Gadot is fine.

My biggest gripe with this movie is Doomsday and the stupid ending. I won't say anything, just watch it for yourself.

Oh, and one character has a really really dumb scene, you will know, when you watch it.

Kinda sad, that there was not much Batman building in this movie, the only building of Batman/Bruce Wayne as a character you already saw in the trailers. Here is hope that the R-rated cut is better for that negative point.

Feel free to ask me questions.

Finally I think, people who don't really have problems to undestand everything, but there are also scenes, where it's so on the nose...

Without being too spoilery, even if it sucks as a standalone film, how do you think it works as a JL setup?

If we're going by average score rather than RT rating, it's at 5.2. Jurassic World, Age of Ultron, and F&F7 were all a 6.7 average score, and we know how those did in the box office

Still I think there's a big perception behind a fresh and a rotten. people probably aren't too concerned with the actual % or average rating, just if the tomato is red or green.

We will see. I hope it makes enough that WB keeps going forward with the universe as slated, but pushes back JL and replaces Snyder directing. I don't mind Snyder's man of steel but I think it's clear that many people will not give him a third chance.

Ahasverus

For a movie that was sitting the shelf for 15 months after it wrapped, how the hell does it suffer so much from editing? You had 15 months to look over and perfect it.
I... actually don't think so. As someone who has worked on some music producing/arrangement, the longer you take with a work, the more you trinkle with it, you make lots of versions of the same thing with the smallest of changes; at the end, if you don't have a clear vision or if you get constant feedback, you may end up with a very different result than what you had when you started.
This might be the case here, there are probably TENS of cuts of this movie, there's 6 hours of footage after all, but probably a combination of nervousness, insecurity and lack of vision has produced this overreaching problem we got here.

Actually, if a fresh competent director, say, Nolan, or Miller, for example, were to make a new cut, it would probably be great as they would instantly feel what works and what doesn't, while the creator has already gotten too familiar with it, for too much time, for his opinion to be objective.

IconGrist

I just read this review that was linked earlier, it's really fantastic, I wish I could write as well as this guy :

http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2016/03/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice.html

My favorite quote :

I completely agree, Watchmen is the better movie but BvS translates some of its themes so eloquently its almost scary.
The silver lining for me is that even though I didn't like the film at all and it's going to be extremely divisive, at least it should trigger some really interesting conversations in the next few years, which is something that very few blockbusters can claim to do.

That's always been Snyder. Love or hate his movies they always end up being talked about long after they have come and gone.

Raptor

My favorite quote :

Im undertstand it that correctly in thinking is better than Watchmen, or that is a better Watchmen than Watchmen itself?

Im confused here because I love Watchmen a lot.

a916

Without being too spoilery, even if it sucks as a standalone film, how do you think it works as a JL setup?

Something the Collider Movie Crew echoed... it still builds a platform for a jumping off point for the JL and future DC movies.

I... actually don't think so. As someone who has worked on some music producing/arrangement, the longer you take with a work, the more you trinkle with it, you make lots of versions of the same thing with the smallest of changes; at the end, if you don't have a clear vision or if you get constant feedback, you may end up with a very different result than what you had when you started.
This might be the case here, there are probably TENS of cuts of this movie, there's 6 hours of footage after all, but probably a combination of nervousness, insecurity and lack of vision has produced this overreaching problem we got here.

Actually, if a fresh competent director, say, Nolan, or Miller, for example, were to make a new cut, it would probably be great as they would instantly feel what works and what doesn't, while the creator has already gotten too familiar with it, for too much time, for his opinion to be objective.

That's definitely true. He probably went back in there every week and was like nah, they won't like this, change this, change that... but I mean WB has a stable of such amazing talent, why would you not get someone else in there going yeah this is perfect like Affleck or Miller to just look at it and get the best cut possible.

It'll work. I can't believe I am saying this...but it needs to be more positive. Like have recruitment scene a la X-Men reboot.

I think BvS is suppose to be the turning point, according to Terrio. He said JL is the lightest of the three.

I'm going to make a bet, the first public trailer for JL will be brimming with jokes.
complete with the same faces that criticized DCEU's dark tones by saying they're copying Marvel now

Ahasverus

That's definitely true. He probably went back in there every week and was like nah, they won't like this, change this, change that... but I mean WB has a stable of such amazing talent, why would you not get someone else in there going yeah this is perfect like Affleck or Miller to just look at it and get the best cut possible.
Overconfidence. Snyder was getting Nolan-like carte blanche. It's confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom