• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cool.

Snyder set the table, i wonder if they let him actually eat with JL.

He shouldn't. But he will. It's sad I think, this man has a vision, but he just can't execute it in this universe. I can't believe how much I love Watchmen and have problems with his other movies.

Oh, Dawn of the Dead was pretty great too.

Boke1879

Very cool.

Snyder set the table, i wonder if they let him actually eat with JL.

I'm going to echo something I said earlier. BobbyRoberts before the release of this film posted his thoughts on why he thought the title of the movie was stupid. Batman v Superman is billed as a fight between those two. Now of course with the subtitle Dawn of Justice you know at some point they'll team up.

Now people are naturally expecting these two to fight, and of course we get that fight. BUT this movie seems to also have the expectation to set up the JL universe as well. So you have too many things going on that a lot of it probably doesn't feel connected.

Bobby also went on to say something like people will end up being misled/disappointed because it's not what they thought it was.

Im undertstand it that correctly in thinking is better than Watchmen, or that is a better Watchmen than Watchmen itself?

Im confused here because I love Watchmen a lot.

This is just my opinion of course but Watchmen is definitely the better movie. BvS just has a sense of dread and an overall bleakness that is even unmatched by Watchmen. It's PG-13 of course and probably not as depressing for someone who doesn't know anything about either franchise, but seeing Batman and Superman act the way they do in the film is quite unsettling, there is no sense of hope at all. I didn't have a problem with the tone of Man of Steel but I think they went way too far this time.

But that not might be an issue for everyone, somebody who has no expectations about how these characters should behave would probably have no problem with their behavior here. For me, there was a lot of collateral damage in Man of Steel but Superman did save the entire world. Here, I don't know that anybody actually gets saved in this film aside from Lois Lane and somebody else I won't mention...

Raptor

This is just my opinion of course but Watchmen is definitely the better movie. BvS just has a sense of dread and an overall bleakness that is even unmatched by Watchmen. It's PG-13 of course and probably not as depressing for someone who doesn't know anything about either franchise, but seeing Batman and Superman act the way they do in the film is quite unsettling, there is no sense of hope at all. I didn't have a problem with the tone of Man of Steel but I think they went way too far this time.

But that not might be an issue for everyone, somebody who has no expectations about how these characters should behave would probably have no problem with their behavior here. For me, there was a lot of collateral damage in Man of Steel but Superman did save the entire world. Here, I don't know that anybody actually gets saved in this film aside from Lois Lane and somebody else I won't mention...

I can totally see that, I guess I will have to see it and pretty much hope for the best.

Boke1879

Fuck it. I was going to wait until Friday to go with some friends and my cousin to see this. But I gotta catch the 6pm showing by myself tomorrow I think. I gotta see this for myself ASAP lol

Ahasverus

Do you think the DCU could end with Justice League? Terrio said it was the final chapter on a trilogy after all, sounds like they could make it an end, and then do some kind of Crisis event at the end, and start anew.

Draconian

Man it's gonna be a long wait until next Friday. I need to unearth my Watchmen UE for a rewatch soon to help get me through this. Maybe I'll buy MoS and rewatch it too.

Fuck it. I was going to wait until Friday to go with some friends and my cousin to see this. But I gotta catch the 6pm showing by myself tomorrow I think. I gotta see this for myself ASAP lol

Hehe, that was me. I´ll watch the movie with my brother probably on the weekend, but hell no was i not going to see it the very first chance i had.

Do you think the DCU could end with Justice League? Terrio said it was the final chapter on a trilogy after all, sounds like they could make it an end, and then do some kind of Crisis event at the end, and start anew.

I interpreted it more that Justice League is the end of a "trilogy" as in, superman´s arc. Where we had day 1 superman in MoS, Superman in BvS trying to deal with the fallout of MoS and finding his place in the world, and in Justice League him becoming the Superman we know. You know, the superman who´s got his shit together, knows what he has to do all the time etc.

I don´t think we´ll get a crisis reboot until Affleck is done with Batman. He can easily do it for 10-12 years. After that, i´ll bet money on a Flashpoint/Crisis thing.

Ahasverus

I interpreted it more that Justice League is the end of a "trilogy" as in, superman´s arc. Where we had day 1 superman in MoS, Superman in BvS trying to deal with the fallout of MoS and finding his place in the world, and in Justice League him becoming the Superman we know. You know, the superman who´s got his shit together, knows what he has to do all the time etc..
Yes I know that, but that sounds kind of conclusive. If they were in panic mode, that could work.
RT keeps dropping. Snyder gotta go.
Absolutely. Like, fucking now.

Yes I know that, but that sounds kind of conclusive. If they were in panic mode, that could work.

Ah, ok. Yeah could work, i can see them making changing directors or writers after JL, i think a "reboot" would be to soon though. Think they´ll stick to the universe they have now for at least 2020. We´ll see.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm not that interested in the DCEU until Snyder and his wife are out, I mean I might watch SS and WW (depending on the reception) but I'm not interested in JL. I'm gonna vote with my wallet, let WB know they fucked up.

Sad, I'm a big DC fan and wanted to see these characters on the big screen. Oh well. Maybe when I'm 50 years old they'll shit out a superhero movie that's good and it's not about Batman.

Yager

Banned
Reposting what I said in the spoiler thread, minus the spoilers:

So I just got out of the cinema. I liked the movie, maybe Snyder's best (take that as you wish), and I really can't understand all the criticism around it. Yes, some things are a bit weird, and pacing is inconsistent in the first half, but it's a good movie. I'm watching it again tomorrow, I guess I'll have a clearer impression by then.

So yeah, critics are being too harsh, at least that's how I see it. Anyway, it's late and my eyes are closing.

Boke1879

Hehe, that was me. I´ll watch the movie with my brother probably on the weekend, but hell no was i not going to see it the very first chance i had.

I interpreted it more that Justice League is the end of a "trilogy" as in, superman´s arc. Where we had day 1 superman in MoS, Superman in BvS trying to deal with the fallout of MoS and finding his place in the world, and in Justice League him becoming the Superman we know. You know, the superman who´s got his shit together, knows what he has to do all the time etc.

I don´t think we´ll get a crisis reboot until Affleck is done with Batman. He can easily do it for 10-12 years. After that, i´ll bet money on a Flashpoint/Crisis thing.

Well in the event that I'm possibly disappointed I'll have to have seen it by myself first. I don't want to be a sourpuss in front of my friends if I don't like it. Plus I'll experience the movie better not surrounded by people I know.

Been watching this thread for the last few days and I'm disappointed.

Not that the movie has reviewed poorly, no, that was inevitable with a movie doing what they were trying to do. We knew it was going to be poorly paced and loaded with unnecessary fluff to set up the wider DCCU.

No, what I'm disappointed in is how some people are melting down over a movie being received poorly before they've even seen the damn thing. There are no circumstances where it's ok to go straight to personal insults to the cast and crew of the movie. The reactionary responses calling Snyder a hack are pathetic considering he's made at least three fantastic movies over his career.

If anything, we should be glad this movie was released as it was. We now have the universe set up. We know that Affleck is a great Batman. We know Gal isn't shit. With these two elements alone we at least know that the DCCU isn't a complete write off. In theory, we won't be getting another bloated, badly paced movie again because we're over that hill now.

And you know what, I don't even care that it's got bad reviews. I apparently have terrible taste in movies compared to most critics. I liked Man of Steel and Suckerpunch. I don't think the Avengers are all that. I think the X Men franchise is poor to mediocre even in their strongest movies. I've never watched Citizen Kane, and probably never will because it sounds shit. I'm going to go to the cinema tomorrow night and have a great two and a half hours watching BvS with my girlfriend, and we'll have a giggle over the bad bits and feel inspired by the good bits. She'll get hype over Wonder Woman and I can hype over the fanboy Easter Eggs. There's no way I'm not going to enjoy myself.

It's just a movie. Lighten up.

Why bother.

Jesus Christ man. You've been the worst out of everyone. Take a look at yourself and pull yourself out of whatever state you're in right now, because you're embarrassing yourself.

I'm not that interested in the DCEU until Snyder and his wife are out, I mean I might watch SS and WW (depending on the reception) but I'm not interested in JL. I'm gonna vote with my wallet, let WB know they fucked up.

Sad, I'm a big DC fan and wanted to see these characters on the big screen. Oh well. Maybe when I'm 50 years old they'll shit out a superhero movie that's good and it's not about Batman.

And you've watched it, right? Christ, I take it back. You're worse than Ahasverus.

VanWinkle

Reposting what I said in the spoiler thread, minus the spoilers:

So yeah, critics are being too harsh, at least that's how I see it. Anyway, it's late and my eyes are closing.

There will PLENTY of people that enjoy the movie. Most of them won't be in this thread.

duckroll

Bro, you haven't even seen the movie yet... :(

a916

And you've watched it, right? Christ, I take it back. You're worse than Ahasverus.

Haha, yeah Error has been the worst.

It'll be fine Error, it sucks now that this happened, but hopefully going forward they'll learn their lesson. Why do we fall Bruce?

I'd really be down for a Ben Affleck trilogy or quadrilogy inspired by Morrison's Batman run (minus Bruce dying and coming back to life) and introducing Damian as Robin. Then in the final movie, Damain is killed and we learn that the suit in BvS is Damian's. Morrison's tone ranges from horror to adventure, could be a fun ride and way different that anything Burton or Nolan did.

Scott Snyder's run could also be a cool inspiration.

Is Affleck not doing wrapping his two indie movies? The Accountant and Live by Night (this one being directed by him).

WhiteWolf

I'd really be down for a Ben Affleck trilogy or quadrilogy inspired by Morrison's Batman run (minus Bruce dying and coming back to life) and introducing Damian as Robin. Then in the final movie, Damain is killed and we learn that the suit in BvS is Damian's. Morrison's tone ranges from horror to adventure, could be a fun ride and way different that anything Burton or Nolan did.

I'm like, 90% sure the first Batman movie we get will be Red Hood. It allows them to use Joker, allows flashbacks, lets them set up Bat Family. Would explain to wider audiences the situation with the Robins.

After that it's anyones guess. I guess Court of Owls was well received and hasn't been used in wider media yet, so could be a good shout.

VanWinkle

I think Snyder's stuff would be a safer bet.

Tabby

Has this been posted? What do you guys think?

Disclaimer! I have not worked for Warner or DC or Marvel, but this is what you hear down the pipeline working in this industry. Most of this could just be speculation from the people I've heard it from, I have no way to verify some of these facts, but I'm hoping it reassures you to just go embrace the film as it is. I'm just relaying what I know about the modern studio system from working in it for so long.
1. Warner, not DC One thing you guys should do is remember that it is Warner Bros., not DC Comics, behind the film. Warner owns DC for those that didn't know, and they are the decision markers, so when we say 'DC's fault', it's not, most of these decisions are from Warner's production side.
Just wanted to open with that, nothing against Warner or DC, love'em both.

2. The RT Rating in relation to the box office You guys have nothing to worry about because Warner has known the movie would take a hit with critics since the assembly edit. BvS has one of the largest production budgets for a film of it's kind, and it has plenty of leeway to it's budget as well. This is because Warner is aware that the film was going to make money. The critic embargo was placed for this purpose. It is standard studio practice for a big movie they are unsure of. Build hype, block critics, let pre-sale tickets explode, and then make sure that early screener review are done by fans, because fans will either be extremely critical or extremely loving. How many times did you hear 'this is the greatest superhero movie ever!' prior to the RT ratings? This is standard studio hype building practice. (EDIT: corrected the number): BvS broke records in pre-sale tickets for a superhero flick according to Fandango. Over the next month it will make a lot more. Hell, I bought my tickets ages ago. This is how the studio locks in guaranteed BO numbers, because from a marketing perspective, the average, non-hero loving movie goer is more likely to avoid a film with bad ratings, so these days the studios need to lock in a certain number of dollars guaranteed, and this is how they do it. The film climate today is not what it was even 10 years back.
It could be argued that this was a sneaky way to secure money, but unfortunately there's nothing that isn't within their rights as a company to do this.
So it's critique essentially means nothing towards the success of the film, so don't worry about the reviews.
This takes me to:

3. Warner Knew Yes, once again, Warner knew. I like Warner, good company, very internal compared to some of the other studios. But they knew. One of the biggest indications of this? They pushed a Batman movie's release date for a Captain America film (we'll get to Marvel in a minute, don't worry). There is no denying Batman is a bigger superhero than Cap. There is no denying Batman will almost always make more money than the competition. They pushed BvS to March (the end of dump month) because BvS is just meant to be a stepping stone. It's problem is it's been over hyped as the film of the century, when in fact Justice League is the big movie in the DCEU we should be hyped about. BvS is going to be a success regard of reviews. And Warner knows this. This film was made to take a hit to introduce new characters. It's just entertaining filler to get from A to B (MoS to JL).
So go out and enjoy it. Worry about the numbers when we get to JL.

4. Zack Snyder Love him or hate him, the studios are aware of what kind of movies he makes. Producer's in the industry never liked the guy. I can tell you from a few meetings I've been to, he was detested during his commercial days. One of those 'we'll never work with him again!' guys. Life saw fit to bring him success, and even though according to RT ratings, critics hate his films, he knows how to do two things which keep him in Warner's pocket: entertain & bring in dollars. He makes good comic adaptations that entertain fans regardless of what the critics say. That is his special something.
Take a look at these numbers: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=zacksnyder.htm (EDIT: Also guys, check out Box Office Mojo frequently, they are one of the best BO resources)
Domestically, he's got a decent amount of successes and losses.
So shortly after MoS was announced, Sucker Punch, one of the few original films by Snyder, tanked. And yes, Warner was considering replacing him very briefly. It was discussed, I don't know how throughly, but I know the conversation happened.
Warner has, and as always had, a lot of faith in Snyder. Removing him from the franchise, directing or otherwise, would be a very tough call and ballsy move from the studio.

5. Comparing It To Marvel I love DC. I Love Marvel. Is it wrong to compare this movie to a franchise that has been running for 8 years. Absolutely. But are critics doing it? Yes. Why you ask? Because Warner is as well. The DC vs. Marvel competition is very real. MoS was planned as a Nolan like trilogy, but after the numbers from Avengers, MoS2 was reworked into BvS. Every franchise is now fighting to reach Marvel levels. Star Wars is getting a CU. Hasbro is doing a CU. Even Universal Movie Monsters are doing a CU. All because of Marvel's CU formula, so to deny that this movie wasn't done by Warner in competition of the MCU is absurd. This movie was designed to be compared to Marvel's films. Warner wants people to know that you can see all their heroes in one place too, "so get excited for JL when it happens!"
As a fan, I'm opposed to comparing the two franchise, they aren't anything alike, apples and oranges, and that is probably the mistake that will hurt Warner, because they are comparing them internally. We may not, but the studio is very much so, and that's one of the reasons why critics are too.
Not to say other recent superhero films haven't been disasters (Marvel Studios or otherwise). Iron Man 2, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Fantastic Four...(EDIT: Fixed this because I didn't word it the way I meant the first time.)

6. The Tone Anyone who has read a DC Comic knows the tone of the film seems to have matched the books since the post-crisis era in particular from what we've seen in the trailers. DC has always been about being more serious. Warner may have taken it a bit too far admittedly, but it's not very different from what you see in the comics. This is more personal opinion, but is there an issue with lack of humor? Yes. Now I'm not saying that every scene needs a quip, but even The Bard mixed comedy into his tragedies. A good story should have a balance of comedy and tragedy, it mimics real life. Have you ever laughed so much you cried? Or cried so much you laughed? Even the Nolan films blend in subtle humor quite well (see Batman Begins: spelunking).
So why is the DCEU so bleak? Because of Green Lantern. It scared both DC and Warner for being too campy in an age when more serious stories were being told, and pushed GL to the tail end of the JL franchise so far. So yes, the rumored 'no humor' policy was in fact implemented at Warner. It is very real on the production side, and Warner tries to use it to push themselves away from the very, sometimes overboard, quippy MCU franchise, but by doing this they threw off the balance. You can be more gritty, absolutely, but always remember that humor.
That was a mix of personal insight with some studio info, sorry about that one guys. To conclude, Marvel is lighter, DC is darker, and that's fine.
To conclude, I'll give my own opinion. I love DC & Marvel. I embrace changes in stories. My favorite superhero films are the Donner Superman's and the Burton Batman's. I like the MCU, I hated MoS, and my hopes for this film were very little as the trailers didn't do it for me, but I was still going to see it. For me, the success at the BO of BvS means little to nothing knowing what's going on behind the scenes and why this movie was made. My concern will come with Justice League, Warner's already shifted there once the pre-sale numbers came in for BvS. If JL doesn't do well, then you guys can panic.
But right now forget the critics, go out and enjoy Batman & Superman punching each other.

Not that the movie has reviewed poorly, no, that was inevitable with a movie doing what they were trying to do. We knew it was going to be poorly paced and loaded with unnecessary fluff to set up the wider DCCU.

No, what I'm disappointed in is how some people are melting down over a movie being received poorly before they've even seen the damn thing. There are no circumstances where it's ok to go straight to personal insults to the cast and crew of the movie. The reactionary responses calling Snyder a hack are pathetic considering he's made at least three fantastic movies over his career.

If anything, we should be glad this movie was released as it was. We now have the universe set up. We know that Affleck is a great Batman. We know Gal isn't shit. With these two elements alone we at least know that the DCCU isn't a complete write off. In theory, we won't be getting another bloated, badly paced movie again because we're over that hill now.

And you know what, I don't even care that it's got bad reviews. I apparently have terrible taste in movies compared to most critics. I liked Man of Steel and Suckerpunch. I don't think the Avengers are all that. I think the X Men franchise is poor to mediocre even in their strongest movies. I've never watched Citizen Kane, and probably never will because it sounds shit. I'm going to go to the cinema tomorrow night and have a great two and a half hours watching BvS with my girlfriend, and we'll have a giggle over the bad bits and feel inspired by the good bits. She'll get hype over Wonder Woman and I can hype over the fanboy Easter Eggs. There's no way I'm not going to enjoy myself.

Jesus Christ man. You've been the worst out of everyone. Take a look at yourself and pull yourself out of whatever state you're in right now, because you're embarrassing yourself.

Jodaily.gif

I'm going to be crushed if the Shazam movie is cancelled, absolutely.
But happier if it's made into a cw series

I agree though, everyone's jumping the gun, one for not seeing the movie, two for not even waiting to see how audiences receive it.

Boke1879

I agree though, everyone's jumping the gun, one for not seeing the movie, two for not even waiting to see how audiences receive it.

Yup. I actually need to see the movie sooner honestly. And I will tomorrow by myself. But yea people just need to see the movie and we need to see how this does past this weekend.

FUCK YEAH! THAT'S THE SPIRIT!

Best part for me is that Batman and Supes aren't anywhere near my favourite heroes. This was always just about setting the universe up for me. I'm watching it for the event, not for the quality. However, Snyder makes movies that appeal to my tastes, so I'm going to be entertained, I'm sure.

Just got to wait for the Affleck directed Batman: Under the Red Hood movie. I'm already getting my favourite comic turned into a movie later this year (squad), so BvS is just the starter dish for me.

WhiteWolf

Yup. I actually need to see the movie sooner honestly. And I will tomorrow by myself. But yea people just need to see the movie and we need to see how this does past this weekend.
I'm seeing it tomorrow at 6 and I can't wait. I'm pumped to see this new, visceral Batman and people talking about how dark BvS is intrigues me. Plus I am all about crazy dream sequences. I'm going in wanting to love this film and I hope I enjoy it.

Boke1879

I'm seeing it tomorrow at 6 and I can't wait. I'm pumped to see this new, visceral Batman and people talking about how dark BvS is intrigues me. Plus I am all about crazy dream sequences. I'm going in wanting to love this film and I hope I enjoy it.

I'm easy to please honestly. I always go into a movie with moderate expectations of at least being entertained. If it does that I'm good. I'm still hype to see the movie and also to see why someone might dislike it. I'm at least seeing it twice. Probably 3 times in 3 days if I like it.

I don't think people should be worried about Suicide Squad.
if the complaints are dark and no fun, well that one looks to be the fun and dark. Also I like Ayer's work

VanWinkle

I'm easy to please honestly. I always go into a movie with moderate expectations of at least being entertained. If it does that I'm good. I'm still hype to see the movie and also to see why someone might dislike it.

Same. The only movie I've watched recently that I was disappointed in was Age of Ultron. But generally I'm easy to please.

It's like... there's absolutely no impetus for everyone to like the movie. That's just a ridiculous strawman. Nor should there be any barrier to posting if you don't like the movie.

But at this point the discussion has gotten taken over by the people who set out to hate the movie when it was announced 3 years ago. Schweinhund is right, it's just memes and shit. I honestly don't feel like I'd be comfortable trying to talk about the movie in there right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom