• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like... there's absolutely no impetus for everyone to like the movie. That's just a ridiculous strawman. Nor should there be any barrier to posting if you don't like the movie.

But at this point the discussion has gotten taken over by the people who set out to hate the movie when it was announced 3 years ago. Schweinhund is right, it's just memes and shit. I honestly don't feel like I'd be comfortable trying to talk about the movie in there right now.

People who haven't even seen it yet are going nuts with the criticism, and the memes, and the raw fucking hate. The fact that there is this much vitriol against a superhero movie, regardless you've seen it or not, is just beyond comprehension.

VanWinkle

It's like... there's absolutely no impetus for everyone to like the movie. That's just a ridiculous strawman. Nor should there be any barrier to posting if you don't like the movie.

But at this point the discussion has gotten taken over by the people who set out to hate the movie when it was announced 3 years ago. Schweinhund is right, it's just memes and shit. I honestly don't feel like I'd be comfortable trying to talk about the movie in there right now.

This thread hasn't been a universal den of positivity and we're all fine with that. But, man, that OT and especially the RT thread, it's toxic discussion. This is where I'm staying. Not to get away from negativity, but to get away from vitriol and opinions without experience.

guek

Banned

It's not so much people who set out to hate the movie as it is people who find entertainment in watching things go down in flames. And yes, many if not most of them had low expectations for BvS but so what? A lot of people didn't like MoS so of course they've been expecting something similar from the same team. That's fair.

The review thread turned into a big circle jerk ages ago but it's not malicious or a conspiracy. Most of the haters had no investment in this movie whatsoever, which is why it stings for the rest of us who hoped for something really good. Circle jerks can be fun though if you're not invested in whatever is being shat on :p

Awesome. Just checked my showing and its sold out.

This will be the first Thurs. OW movie for me since The Avengers. A packed audience might enhance the movie. Plan to see a matinee Fri. as well though.

It's not so much people who set out to hate the movie as it is people who find entertainment in watching things go down in flames. And yes, many if not most of them had low expectations for BvS but so what? A lot of people didn't like MoS so of course they've been expecting something similar from the same team. That's fair.

The review thread turned into a big circle jerk ages ago but it's not malicious or a conspiracy. Most of the haters had no investment in this movie whatsoever, which is why it stings for the rest of us who hoped for something really good. Circle jerks can be fun though if you're not invested in whatever is being shat on :p

Nah sorry, they do have an investment. At least one of them created their account just to post in a BvS thread. It's weird and I don't understand it, to follow something you know you're not going to like for so long.

Nobody's interested in what happens next, or a potential JL director replacement. It's literally just rejoicing that a movie crashed and burned. There is nothing constructive. It just reminds me of shitty people I know in real life that enjoy misery, which is a bit ironic since the film is so dark :p.

Snaku

Banned

Ghostbusters is going to face the exact same scenario, no matter how good or bad the film is, the narrative will be hijacked by the vocal minority that was out to crucify this movie the day vaginas were cast as paranormal investigators and eliminators.

I'm kind of inclined to disagree. Haven't done an exhaustive survey or anything, but I'm seeing a lot of familiar usernames :p

As to the other thing, I really try and stay away hate-circlejerks myself. It's one thing when you're with a bunch of people enthusing over a thing, but for bashing it? Feels... off.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
lol

yeah I'll stop, I know some people will like the movie and I don't want sound like a broken record and shit up the discussion.

I'll watch the extended cut, all this talk about poor editing makes me think this film got butchured big time in the editing room. I'll wait till then.

*gracefully exits

duckroll

Hmmm... I decided to check how full the screenings here are. Took a few random sample times at big screens for today and tomorrow, along with the weekend. It looks like it's not selling out as fast as I would think for the opening week of a major blockbuster like this. All the good seats are obviously gone, but most screens have a bunch of seats left on the left and right blocks.

VanWinkle

lol

yeah I'll stop, I know some people will like the movie and I don't want sound like a broken record and shit up the discussion.

I'll watch the extended cut, all this talk about poor editing makes me think this film got butchured big time in the editing room. I'll wait till then.

*gracesfully exits

Yeah I really think the extended cut will be seen a lot more favorably, just because of so many common complaints of poor editing.

duckroll

Yeah I really think the extended cut will be seen a lot more favorably, just because of so many common complaints of poor editing.

I would love to believe there's some Kingdom of Heaven shit going on here, but previous extended cuts and director's cuts by Snyder for his other films have indicated that they tend to add more scenes, but not have better flow. Editing for flow and pace really seems to be his Achilles Heel.

VanWinkle

I would love to believe there's some Kingdom of Heaven shit going on here, but previous extended cuts and director's cuts by Snyder for his other films have indicated that they tend to add more scenes, but not have better flow. Editing for flow and pace really seems to be his Achilles Heel.

Hmm good point. I guess we'll see come release, but you're probably right to be a little more pessimistic.

guek

Banned
I'm kind of inclined to disagree. Haven't done an exhaustive survey or anything, but I'm seeing a lot of familiar usernames :p

As to the other thing, I really try and stay away hate-circlejerks myself. It's one thing when you're with a bunch of people enthusing over a thing, but for bashing it? Feels... off.

Like I said, hate-circle jerks are only fun for people who don't have much stake in whatever it is being pissed on being good. You're right that there are certainly more than a few people who have had it out for this movie for a long time but there's a lot of people posting in those threads. I don't think that applies to all or even most of them. But whatever, I can totally understand why you'd find OT to be a bad time right now.

Nobody's interested in what happens next, or a potential JL director replacement. It's literally just rejoicing that a movie crashed and burned. There is nothing constructive. It just reminds me of shitty people I know in real life that enjoy misery, which is a bit ironic since the film is so dark :p.

No, you're right, that's why I called it a circle jerk :p

Watchmen DC still feels too long but has slightly better pacing than the theatrical cut. It's also made significantly better by its additions. I don't mean it suddenly goes from a C to a A+ but it's a notable improvement nonetheless.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw it. The hell with critics, this was fucking amazing. Tired af so I'll talk more about it tomorrow, but I can say this is right up there as far as CBM go for me personally. Loved it.

The cuts are interesting, but I feel like they won't be crucial scenes and more like easter eggs.

Also DC rebirth posted a picture revealing Jessica Cruz as a silhouetted GL. Which seems really weird. I wonder if a female GL was ever in the cards for the movies, at least as one of the GL's. Though technically she's a Power Ring. Maybe there's more to Carrie Ferris than we thought.

Going to see this in about 8 hours. I'm not going to lie, I'm really bummed that this is getting ripped apart critically and made worse by those dudes in OT who were talking shit since day 1 having a field day right now, but I'm looking forward to forming my own opinions about it. In the end, as long as I like it its all that matters.

Ahasverus

Just saw it. The hell with critics, this was fucking amazing. Tired af so I'll talk more about it tomorrow, but I can say this is right up there as far as CBM go for me personally. Loved it.
Well this was unexpected.

For some reason, I think this movie will do better with the public than MoS

The cuts are interesting, but I feel like they won't be crucial scenes and more like easter eggs.

Also DC rebirth posted a picture revealing Jessica Cruz as a silhouetted GL. Which seems really weird. I wonder if a female GL was ever in the cards for the movies, at least as one of the GL's. Though technically she's a Power Ring. Maybe there's more to Carrie Ferris than we thought.

We don't (strictly speaking) know that's Jessica Cruz yet, though it probably is. She's power ring right now, but it's pretty clear that she's going to become a GL in short order. I'd call it pretty unlikely that she's the GL for the movies, though, being the result of about a half dozen arc's worth of stuff.

Of course, it's also unlikely because JL is gonna get canceled, the entire cinematic universe post WW is gonna be canned, and Snyder is going to be put on trial for war crimes.

We got a user making year long text files compiling quotes from people who weren't looking forward to freaking ant man

The fandom shark was jumped a while ago. Embrace the madness or ignore it tbh. All you can do

Said it in another thread, but my real reservation of the extended cut, is knowing it's already rated. Skeptical about if it's the same editor, with the same sensibilities.

duckroll

Watchmen DC still feels too long but has slightly better pacing than the theatrical cut. It's also made significantly better by its additions. I don't mean it suddenly goes from a C to a A+ but it's a notable improvement nonetheless.

But it's improved because of content. The editing itself doesn't come off as being particularly better. There's just more stuff, so the improvement in pacing is also down to that. I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff the Ultimate Edition will improve on, especially with regards to Batman's history and maybe even some of his motivations. But I was addressing the editing issue in particular, which pops up in every Snyder discussion. The poor editing likely isn't a result of him hacking a "perfect" cut up, but rather... he just isn't any good at smooth assembly lol.

So, here's a thought, in terms of post BvS consequences...

Do you think WB will bring in some dedicated editing talent to take the reigns on that from Snyder? Maybe even have them put together another cut of the movie? If editing really is the big honking issue it seems to be, they've got to be considering how they go about mitigating that in the future while going through as little public disruption as possible.

BvS extended cut is introducing more characters. Does this film really need all that extra JL baggage when the reviews imply that stuff was already bogging the pacing down similar to iron man 2 (or age of ultron I imagine, I had similar problems with that)

3N16MA

Banned
It seems that a bunch of people are happy that BvS is getting ripped to shreds by critics. I find it a little odd since I would think most of the posters on GAF would want a well reviewed Batman and Superman film. It also seems that those who are enjoying it have not actually seen it.

I guess this provides the best chance of WB kicking Snyder to the curb and that makes them happy?

I wouldn't mind if Snyder got the boot. Even if this film is good I rather see another director step in and Snyder's role scaled back.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Popped in and saw this. That's awesome. Gotta feeling my feelings will be similar. I like weird movies. I like unorthodox storytelling. I love psychotic Batman. We'll see. Happy for you though.

BvS extended cut is introducing more characters. Does this film really need all that extra JL baggage when the reviews already said that stuff was already bogging the pacing down similar to iron man 2 (or age of ultron I imagine, I had similar problems with that)

Imo the universe building doesn't get in the way anymore than a prequel building to its sequel. It's comparable to Star Wars TFA teasing. None of that is why the pacing and editing is a problem.

duckroll

So, here's a thought, in terms of post BvS consequences...

Do you think WB will bring in some dedicated editing talent to take the reigns on that from Snyder? Maybe even have them put together another cut of the movie? If editing really is the big honking issue it seems to be, they've got to be considering how they go about mitigating that in the future while going through as little public disruption as possible.

I don't think that's how it actually works. With regards to editing I mean. The editors on the film probably aren't scrubs, but editors have to work with the director to know what is desired, and the director gives feedback on the editing in progress. The better the feedback and the clearly the instructions, the more likely it is that the editing team can put together something great. You can't really edit in a vacuum and expect fantastic results, it's an iterative process.

I mean sure, WB -could- take final cut away from him (I don't even know if Snyder has it) and assemble their own cut. But that would require the people ordering the cut to know what they want too. In the end, no matter how good an editing team you have, you still need a good lead from the top - be it the director or a producer with a strong understanding of the craft.

Imo the universe building doesn't get in the way anymore than a prequel building to its sequel. It's comparable to Star Wars TFA teasing. None of that is why the pacing and editing is a problem.

I see. Man its exciting going into this. I have no idea where they fucked up and I'm also looking forward to batman at least

We don't (strictly speaking) know that's Jessica Cruz yet, though it probably is. She's power ring right now, but it's pretty clear that she's going to become a GL in short order. I'd call it pretty unlikely that she's the GL for the movies, though, being the result of about a half dozen arc's worth of stuff.

Of course, it's also unlikely because JL is gonna get canceled, the entire cinematic universe post WW is gonna be canned, and Snyder is going to be put on trial for war crimes.

Yeah just playful thinking, I'm 99% certain it'll be John/Hal. I'm surprised there hasn't been more female lanterns to this point (Jade being the exception, and I thought that may have been her shadow but no green skin = no sell), maybe they should have made Baz one.

VanWinkle

What annoys me is all the people posting "Can't wait to see this trainwreck." They've already made up their minds. That's just disappointing. And of course there's all the people delighting in it's critically poor showing. It's just sad as a fan who wants it to be good. I'm not going to go into with a false sense that it will be amazing. I just want to go in with an open mind.

ReiGun

People who haven't even seen it yet are going nuts with the criticism, and the memes, and the raw fucking hate. The fact that there is this much vitriol against a superhero movie, regardless you've seen it or not, is just beyond comprehension.

I'm not going to say critics went into this movie with a vendetta because I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt that they can do their jobs...but the fans? Nah man, there were people who could not wait to hate this movie. They still can't, tbh, given most of them haven't seen it yet lol.

Even people I know personally, who don't normally care about reviews, who like the last Ninja Turtles movie (which was eviscerated harder than BvS by critics) for Pete's sake, are like "Told y'all it was gonna be trash." There are people who were never gonna give this movie a fair shake, despite all protests of "I really want it to be good!" It's silly considering the subject at hand and kind of unfair, but what can you do?

Like so many others have said upthread, just have to go see it and decide for yourself.

I don't think that's how it actually works. With regards to editing I mean. The editors on the film probably aren't scrubs, but editors have to work with the director to know what is desired, and the director gives feedback on the editing in progress. The better the feedback and the clearly the instructions, the more likely it is that the editing team can put together something great. You can't really edit in a vacuum and expect fantastic results, it's an iterative process.

I mean sure, WB -could- take final cut away from him (I don't even know if Snyder has it) and assemble their own cut. But that would require the people ordering the cut to know what they want too. In the end, no matter how good an editing team you have, you still need a good lead from the top - be it the director or a producer with a strong understanding of the craft.

Mm. That makes sense.

They'd have to bring in a codirector or somesuch, I guess. And it'd involve massively disrupting JL 1 plans to boot. Probably not going to happen.

duckroll

Mm. That makes sense.

They'd have to bring in a codirector or somesuch, I guess. And it'd involve massively disrupting JL 1 plans to boot. Probably not going to happen.

Nah actually I have a better idea. Instead of making JL a full length film, they should let Snyder THINK he is shooting a full length film, and encourage him to make it as big as possible, as long as possible, sky's the limit. When he's done, they ask him to prep a series of trailers, each with a different theme focus and hero focus. Make them "like the final trailers for Man of Steel and Batman v Superman" etc. When he's done, they throw him down a well, stitch the series of trailers together as a mega montage, and release that as the film.

INSTANT WINNER!!!!! AMIRITE?!

:(

woah now, this is a family friendly thread. what you do in your own time is your business quek.
;)

Ninjimbo

It's going to be hard watching this movie without the experience feeling tainted by everything that has gone on the past few days. I just know that when I notice any hiccup in the movie I'm going to be imagining duckroll sneaking by me and whispering "Snyder" in my ear.

Then I'll start openly crying in the theater.

My gut tells me Zack Snyder will direct Justice League.

He might not get final cut. Copies of the script might be in the hands of a crackshot cleanup crew as we speak to improve reviews.

But Zack will direct, because BvS will make money.

My gut tells me Zack Snyder will direct Justice League.

He might not get final cut. Copies of the script might be in the hands of a crackshot cleanup crew as we speak to improve reviews.

But Zack will direct, because BvS will make money.

Zack will continue because it's the easiest path right now. I don't think Zack was going to direct anything past Justice League anyways. After Justice League is out of the way, you have all of next year to fix things and focus on punching up solo projects. Justice League 2 shouldn't need to be in front of the cameras until this time in 2018.

Ahasverus

If only there was an acclaimed director who knows everything about the movie, almost as if he were on set all the time.

Oh wait.

WB!!!!

IconGrist

Zack Snyder is a fascinating person to me.

All of his movies are divisive. Half hate everything he touches, the other half loves it. You go into that RT thread right now, even this thread, and the level of just hate towards him and his wife is palpable. Yet coming from people who have worked with him not a single bad word has ever been said. Not before a project, not during a project, not after a project. Not a single bad word. it's not like there isn't precedence. We've all heard bad stories about directors being hard to deal with, terrible people, joyless, unfocused, chaotic, etc. Where is the Snyder hate?

And despite this half and half look at his movies he continues to get work. And not just bottom of the barrel work. This guy basically gets to do whatever the hell he wants. He's big enough he has his own goddamn production company he runs with his wife. This guy releases Sucker Punch and people shit on it almost like they were encouraged to and WB gives him the keys to DC kingdom.

I'm beginning to think he's actually a real life Professor X. Just making people keep him around.

I don't mean this negatively. I like Snyder. A lot actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom