• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe those posters were hinting at Ben not Miller.

Ben has enough on his plate. He can't take on Justice League duties. Live By Night just finished, so he has to do post on that while filming Justice League. And if rumors are to be believed, he's probably prepping a solo Batman film.

So I decided to venture into the RT thread and.... wow.

It's a cesspool.

I still can't get over how awesome Wonder Woman was lol. I am so excited for her solo movie.

Gleethor

Why is it that this "conversation" only comes up when something is being negatively trashed, and not when there's an overwhelming unanimous positive reaction for something? Because when something is being trashed, someone gets hurt and upset, and wants to rationalize it. Again, that's also human nature. Not sure if it's really that interesting a conversation.

This definitely happens too. Not as much as the inverse, but it does. The Force Awakens and The Dark Knight Rises had their fair share of this.

Haven't seen the film yet (thought it looked shit from the start and am not a fan of Snyder, so no surprise to me), but:

1. A few - Cooter in particular - need to be made aware that a 33% does not mean that this film is being rated 3.3/10. It means 33% of critics deemed this film a decent use of their time. Its average rating is 5.2.

So when people are going, "man I loved this film, 8/10, it isn't a 3!" - that isn't what they are saying. If your opinion was added to the tomatometer, it could go up to 34% and, more importantly based on your rating of it, a 5.3 or whatever.

2. A lot of you already like Snyder's films, or are happy for any action, or don't expect anything other than two superheroes punching each other. So don't put so much stock in critics' opinions!

3. Railing on critics because they love Marvel and that's all they want... especially citing Thor 2. Come on guys: that got an average score of 5.6 or something. The RT just means more people deemed it to be a decent watch. The RT is such a misnomer and it's mad to see people so invested in it.

Plus, the most critically appraised superhero films ever are Nolan's Bat films, and not because they follow Marvel template. It's because they're good, well-acted, well-written (for the most part) movies, something that I and many people think Snyder struggles with. It isn't a "we love Marvel" thing. I don't love Marvel. I would struggle to say any of them is better than a 6 or 7 out of 10. But painting it as that is highlighting fanboy insecurity that you're all better than.

Just say: critics don't like this film, I do/don't like this film. The two don't need to correlate.

RagingPhoenix

Neo Member
So I decided to venture into the RT thread and.... wow.

It's a cesspool.

I still can't get over how awesome Wonder Woman was lol. I am so excited for her solo movie.

I really loves that moment in the battle when she...oh wait are allowed to talk spoilers in here.

Anyway to be safe there were multiple moments of her which I really liked. And the OST, hah.

Bleepey

The only rational conversation to have is that people tend to be influenced by each other. This is nothing new or shocking. If you liked something, but you went with 5 friends and they all hated it and spent the entire night talking about how bad it was and all the things wrong with it, it is possible, even likely that your opinion might be lowered. On the other hand if you somewhat disliked it, in the same scenario you would probably end up outright hating it too. Flip it around, if everyone in the group loved it, appreciation for it increases as each person emphasizes the parts they liked most. If you disliked it, in such a scenario you might see the positive side and be less harsh towards it. This can apply to anything - film, music, food, literature, games, etc.

Why is it that this "conversation" only comes up when something is being negatively trashed, and not when there's an overwhelming unanimous positive reaction for something? Because when something is being trashed, someone gets hurt and upset, and wants to rationalize it. Again, that's also human nature. Not sure if it's really that interesting a conversation.

To be fair, people shit on universally acclaimed films too. I am apparently the only person on gaf who sees Tinker, Tailor,Soldier, Spy for the boring bullshit it is. I also think the Flash is kinda overrated as is DD, and I am a huge fan of the latter though that's cos of dumb decisions I don't agree with.

Yager

Banned
The more I think about the movie, the more I like it. The general audience seem to like it, judging by the audience score in RT and other sites. If this movie was called "Dawn of Justice League" without de Batman v Superman, it would've been received better. Anyway, can't wait to watch Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman, and I want more Lex in my life.

Does anyone think Mera will become a member of the Justice League or nah?

Aquaman doesn't have her waterbending powers does he? She'd be a nice addition imo.

Plus I'm gonna treat Green Lantern as part of the Green Lantern Corps instead of a JL member, so the 'unite the seven' tagline still counts.

... That is unless Shazam's been confirmed somewhere to be a part of the founding roster?

I really loves that moment in the battle when she...oh wait are allowed to talk spoilers in here.

Anyway to be safe there were multiple moments of her which I really liked. And the OST, hah.
I loved every moment of hers hahaha.

witness

Watched Man of Steel last night and it did make me really hyped for tonight. My wife actually likes it more now since she realized that Superman is adopted essentially and we are going through the adoption process ourselves right now. She said if we get a boy we are nicknaming him Superman lol He will have so much Superman themed merch, not gonna complain one bit!

Less than 12 hours...

jey_16

Banned
just got out the cinema....and, it's not good news. Didn't like it at all, I'm devastated. I can't believe they screwed it up this badly, it's actually worse then MoS :( only redeeming parts was the Batman action and Gal

I so badly wanted this to be good, they really need to change it up for the Justice League

Boke1879

I'll be in the theater in less than 12 hours from now watching it. Decided one a whim to go by myself tonight for my first viewing and not wait until Friday to go with friends and family.

Gotta soak it all up myself first.

Simo

Can I just stay here and not go to that OT that was made? I'd much rather prefer that.

Thank you for having me.

Sure! Pull up a chair! "Where everybody knows your name!"

For some of us asking where the OT was maybe we should of just been quiet about it...lol

T-Rex.

Banned
Not long left until I see it now. 12 hours to go...

I'm 80% sure I'm going to like it. I loved MoS so if it's more of the same but with Batman and Wonder Woman added then cool, I'll take it.

Not long left until I see it now. 12 hours to go...

I'm 80% sure I'm going to like it. I loved MoS so if it's more of the same but with Batman and Wonder Woman added then cool, I'll take it.

Same. Midnight viewing. Quite looking forward to this now. The best part about the reviews is the only thing that everyone agrees on is that the editing is a bit shit. Everything else seems to have a split opinion. I've seen people saying Lex is great! Lex is awful! Batman is great! Batman is awful. Gal steals the show! Gal was shit. The ending is amazing! The ending was shit!

Like, I know it's not the case, but it really feels like critics realised they were supposed to be reviewing it badly because of the iffy editing but didn't know what else to criticise and so threw stuff at a dart board to decide the rest of their opinions.

So, can we say that this is the reverse Hail Caesar in terms of reception? At least it looks that way right now.

Pretty much. The public doesn't care about poor editing at the beginning of the film. They just want to see Batman fight Superman and wreck fools. By all accounts the movie gets that part perfect. And Wonder Woman is going to be a pretty big draw. Like, my girlfriend is hype pretty much just for Wonder Woman being on the big screen for once.

Hagi

I'd ask in the OT but it's probably easier to ask here, is there a post credit scene for BvS? I'm excited to finally see the film on Sunday hopefully I enjoy it.

I'd ask in the OT but it's probably easier to ask here, is there a post credit scene for BvS? I'm excited to finally see the film on Sunday hopefully I enjoy it.

SPOILERS FOR BATMAN V SUPERMAN

There is no post credit scene at all. Not a thing.

strafer

tumblr_o4jn75QhJt1rs2uhvo1_540.png

tumblr_o4jn75QhJt1rs2uhvo3_540.png

Dcube

Today's the day! Just a few more hours. So excited I had trouble sleeping last night lol
Got the day off work too!
Plan to watch Watchmen, never seen the director's cut but I loved it in theaters, then watch MoS before the movie.
Can't wait to see the big brawl.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
So yeah, watched it last night. Loved it. The action was great, especially Batman. Loved how brutal he was, Bruce seen some shit and he doesn't care anymore. Batfleck is without a doubt the best Batman, he nailed it. Loved his Bruce Wayne (really want to see more). The audience were cheering and clapping when Wonder Woman showed up, her score is fantastic. Cavill was fine and so was the rest of the cast. Luthor was probably my second favorite, loved his portrayal.

Great imagery throughout, fantastic score, epic action scenes as well as some real emotional ones. Interesting plot, never did it became boring. I was constantly invested in what was happening. Liked how they handled the JL setup. Flash looked weird though.

I did notice the editing, well actually it was more the flow of the film. The scenes didn't flow into each other naturally, I could understand if people found that kinda irritating (personally I was fine with it, it came all together nicely) but really don't understand the hate for it.

Anyway, I'm still tired. Fire questions if you want. But I really loved it, seeing it again on Sunday.

9/10

Excited to see it today. I thought MoS had a lot of great moments but also some really weak moments that held it back, so like 7/10. I'm expecting the same thing here.

The more I think about the movie, the more I like it. The general audience seem to like it, judging by the audience score in RT and other sites. If this movie was called "Dawn of Justice League" without de Batman v Superman, it would've been received better. Anyway, can't wait to watch Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman, and I want more Lex in my life.

The general audience meter is inflated from fanboys/hater just either giving it 1's or 10's, we won't know how audiences liked it until the second week drop and cinemascore come in. Anything less than an A- is probably a bad sign for Word of Mouth.

Anyway, it can only get better from here, I don't think WB would stand for two divisive movies with all the money laying on the table. I actually think they were anticipating this and that's why Terrio mentioned a lighter Justice League.

I am positive about the future, although I am disappointed by this movie. I was really bummed the last few days, but today is a new day and in a few months we will have Suicide Squad and maybe the announcements for the Batman Solo movies.

Finaika

So yeah, watched it last night. Loved it. The action was great, especially Batman. Loved how brutal he was, Bruce seen some shit and he doesn't care anymore. Batfleck is without a doubt the best Batman, he nailed it. Loved his Bruce Wayne (really want to see more). The audience were cheering and clapping when Wonder Woman showed up, her score is fantastic. Cavill was fine and so was the rest of the cast. Luthor was probably my second favorite, loved his portrayal.

Great imagery throughout, fantastic score, epic action scenes as well as some real emotional ones. Interesting plot, never did it became boring. I was constantly invested in what was happening. Liked how they handled the JL setup. Flash looked weird though.

I did notice the editing, well actually it was more the flow of the film. The scenes didn't flow into each other naturally, I could understand if people found that kinda irritating (personally I was fine with it, it came all together nicely) but really don't understand the hate for it.

Anyway, I'm still tired. Fire questions if you want. But I really loved it, seeing it again on Sunday.

9/10

Pretty much what I thought.

Flow needs work.

I'd give it a 7/10 though, will be seeing it again this Saturday.

witness

9/10

Thank you for the impressions. The dismay from the last few days is being washed away by these reviews. HYPE! Can't wait for tonight, plan on seeing it again on Sunday if we like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom