• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninjimbo

I'm surprised at them rolling out all the DC slate and not straight up saying 'hey, Affleck is directing and starring in this Batman Solo'
Well they can't just lie to people. None of that is set in stone right?

Anyways, to those that have seen the movie, just what kind of stories can you tell with the Batfleck? All the best stories for me seem to exist with a Batman in his prime. Going back to tell a story of his past would seem kind of weird since Affleck is only getting older. Personally, I would love to see an adaptation of Zero Year but that seems like it would require a dude in his 20's playing the part of Bruce.

So basically, what can Batfleck do in a solo movie?

Xenoboy

This is first post here and I just watched the movie. I really really liked it, it was a bit messy here and there, but overall it was good fun. I'm excited for JL and Wonder Woman was good.
Regarding the cameos
I thought Flash was okay, I didn't like the speedforce scene or whatever it was, but I like the 7-eleven scene.
Aquaman was okay, nothing too special for me.
The Cyborg tease was the best imo, it made me really interested in what they are going for.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Well they can't just lie to people. None of that is set in stone right?

Anyways, to those that have seen the movie, just what kind of stories can you tell with the Batfleck? All the best stories for me seem to exist with a Batman in his prime. Going back to tell a story of his past would seem kind of weird since Affleck is only getting older. Personally, I would love to see an adaptation of Zero Year but that seems like it would require a dude in his 20's playing the part of Bruce.

So basically, what can Batfleck do in a solo movie?

Older Batman means we get the Batfamily. I liked the early rumor about adopting Under the Red Hood.

I wont call out names, but some people here on GAF really enjoying the failure of BvS, critically. They just make shitful posts, with not substance in it so we can't even discuss it. It's really baffling, how can you enjoy something like this so much.

I get it. Not like I didn't partake in it when younger. But the cheap shots at the cast and flat out lying are wack. It's fun until it gets mean-spirited. And it's sad to see few question what they read only to propagate it further. There's enough to discuss and criticize without going there.

Jup, I'm probably in the odd minority though. I'm someone who can really like a movie like Only God Forgives and then dislike something which is beloved by critics/audiences. The movie really worked for me, I understand that it has structural problems and the scenes don't flow into each other nicely. But I can overlook that, it doesn't bother me. I certainly don't have this attitude of; omg that character is not supposed to do that.

For me it has great imagery, great action, great music and an interesting plot I really, really liked. Some scenes are like from a horror movie, and thriller and then action again. It doesn't play it safe and I can really appreciate that. But above all; I just want to be entertained and/or moved (depending on the movie). This had both for me personally.
Yo, Only God Forgives is a good-ass movie. Okay maybe not good but I enjoyed it lol. I'm a huge Drive fanboy but the amount of people thinking it would be Drive set in a exotic locale and being disappointed or annoyed the movie wasn't as straightforward as it boggles my mind. The movie was weird but it wasn't gutter trash like the reviews made it out to be.

I guess turning up some of the aspects from Drive like abrupt violence and a near silent protagonist was pushing it for most people.

Oh and the score was fantastic.

PBY

Banned
I get it. Not like I didn't partake in it when younger. But the cheap shots at the cast and flat out lying are wack. It's fun until it gets mean-spirited. And it's sad to see few question what they read only to propagate it further. There's enough to discuss and criticize without going there.

Again - I think this stuff just gets meme-ified.

Like, look at this review that just went up
BATMAN V SUPERMAN COULDN'T BE WORSE
https://nowtoronto.com/movies/reviews/batman-v-superman-couldnt-be-worse/

Most people can't see the movie yet, so stuff like this sets the narrative and leads the discussion.

IconGrist

Most people can't see the movie yet, so stuff like this sets the narrative and leads the discussion.

Well like I said there's a drive to draw attention for hits. Not just BvS but for anything that can be a hot topic. This is why every bad review says something really eye catching because they know they will draw traffic from the "LMAO What's this one going to say??". You don't see that as much with something praised. It's there but much less prominent.

PBY

Banned
Well like I said there's a drive to draw attention for hits. Not just BvS but for anything that can be a hot topic. This is why every bad review says something really eye catching because they know they will draw traffic from the "LMAO What's this one going to say??". You don't see that as much with something praised. It's there but much less prominent.

Yeah, can't really disagree with this. Can't remember the last time I've read reviews this savage, especially relative to the scores.

Ashhong

As a result, the audience is always ahead of the movie’s characters. We know what Kryptonite is, we know Lex Luthor is an evil mastermind, we know the true identity of that mysterious woman (Gal Gadot) who keeps turning up at parties to fluster Bruce Wayne. And thanks to Warner’s marketing strategy, most of us even know what the Justice in the movie’s subtitle is referring to.

What the fuck? So it's the movie's fault that the film is based on a property that's decades old?

Yes, Wonder Woman is in there – and no, it doesn’t matter worth a damn, because her appearance is undercut by a guitar riff straight out of the Bill & Ted movies. This is no way to run a franchise.

lol..this review is such shit. It's yet another "not muh heroes!" review. Jesus Christ.

Not what I mean. Negative reviews are okay, memes and glibness are entertaining; watching the negative Double Toasted review now and it's funny. What I'm talking about, is lobbing personal attacks at the cast and lying about what's in the movie, to have more to criticize.

Verendus

Banned
I think you all need to chill if I'm honest. Too many of you take these reviews far too seriously. I think these issues are amplified now due to meme and nerd culture as well as social media, but critics aren't an infallible entity. If anything, the quality of the average critic today is worse than it used to be. That tends to happen when there are simply a lot more of them, and all try to make their voices heard. And even back in the day, classics like Predator, The Thing, Godzilla, Scrooged, and Vertigo were all met with critical disdain when they released. There are likely many more I've forgotten due to age. Now, I certainly don't think BvS is going to be a classic (there are about five movies in this entire genre that will stand the test of time with three likely being Nolan's), but it's far from being a bad movie, and you all need to detach yourselves a little from this all. All that should matter to you is if you enjoyed the movie or not. If you didn't, then feel free to destroy. The critics are just expressing their feelings along those same lines.

The only time reviews matter are when they affect the bottom line. In this case, I think BvS is bound to be affected to some extent. Marketing is all about influencing people (and it does work on everyone without exception so folks shouldn't look down on the general audience because we're all part of it), and social media today means negative buzz can spread pretty quickly before general audiences get the chance to really make up their mind themselves. However, it shouldn't hurt the movie enough to stop it from being a financial success. It's opening pretty strong internationally at the moment, but by Monday, it'll be pretty easy to tell if it's on lock for a billion worldwide. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things if it clears that, as long as Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman also do over $500 million each when they release. It'll be important for those movies to recover some momentum critically so social media and comic nerds buzz can be taken advantage of in the future. You don't want to be fighting against parts of the tide. It's better to just absorb it all.

I think Zack Snyder is just one of those directors who critics simply don't like. His movies seem to fare well with audiences in general, but I don't think his overly ambitious yet clunky style is going to do him any favors anytime soon critically. His movies always contain flaws, and critics clearly aren't ready to be forgiving with him.

Having said that, this is a rare instance where we can see just how much social media and negative critical reception can affect a tentpole movie like this. Man of Steel has been divisive amongst comic fans, although other indicators would show that it did well in general, but three years of negativity and caution amongst that audience has now exploded in the worst way possible with this critical lashing. So, it's really interesting to see what happens next. No brand is infallible, and Batman, just like Star Wars and Spider-Man, has fallen before, but we've never had a situation like this before. You're talking three years of concern, and three years of the elitists and diehards being negative, but that has been rewarded. I don't remember another scenario quite like this, and with such a big movie.

If this movie ends up having decent legs, and passes the $1.2 billion mark (which is the barrier I feel it needs to go beyond for me to consider it a good financial result when looking at the Batman brand), the dissonance on display between the general audience and critics is going to be another one of those Predator moments.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Yo, Only God Forgives is a good-ass movie. Okay maybe not good but I enjoyed it lol. I'm a huge Drive fanboy but the amount of people thinking it would be Drive set in a exotic locale and being disappointed or annoyed the movie wasn't as straightforward as it boggles my mind. The movie was weird but it wasn't gutter trash like the reviews made it out to be.

I guess turning up some of the aspects from Drive like abrupt violence and a near silent protagonist was pushing it for most people.

Oh and the score was fantastic.

Drive was fantastic and in my top 10, love that movie. OGF was the anti-Drive. Which I loved, Refn does not give a fuck and is a really visual director. And both movies had a fantastic scorre.

Yeah, that is really shitty. People are getting really personal, why do that? Shit on the movie all you want, the DCU, or whatever.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I think you all need to chill if I'm honest. Too many of you take these reviews far too seriously. I think these issues are amplified now due to meme and nerd culture as well as social media, but critics aren't an infallible entity. If anything, the quality of the average critic today is worse than it used to be. That tends to happen when there are simply a lot more of them, and all try to make their voices heard. And even back in the day, classics like Predator, The Thing, Godzilla, Scrooged, and Vertigo were all met with critical disdain when they released. There are likely many more I've forgotten due to age. Now, I certainly don't think BvS is going to be a classic (there are about five movies in this entire genre that will stand the test of time with three likely being Nolan's), but it's far from being a bad movie, and you all need to detach yourselves a little from this all. All that should matter to you is if you enjoyed the movie or not. If you didn't, then feel free to destroy. The critics are just expressing their feelings along those same lines.

The only time reviews matter are when they affect the bottom line. In this case, I think BvS is bound to be affected to some extent. Marketing is all about influencing people (and it does work on everyone without exception so folks shouldn't look down on the general audience because we're all part of it), and social media today means negative buzz can spread pretty quickly before general audiences get the chance to really make up their mind themselves. However, it shouldn't hurt the movie enough to stop it from being a financial success. It's opening pretty strong internationally at the moment, but by Monday, it'll be pretty easy to tell if it's on lock for a billion worldwide. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things if it clears that, as long as Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman also do over $500 million each when they release. It'll be important for those movies to recover some momentum critically so social media and comic nerds buzz can be taken advantage of in the future. You don't want to be fighting against parts of the tide. It's better to just absorb it all.

I think Zack Snyder is just one of those directors who critics simply don't like. His movies seem to fare well with audiences in general, but I don't think his overly ambitious yet clunky style is going to do him any favors anytime soon critically. His movies always contain flaws, and critics clearly aren't ready to be forgiving with him.

Having said that, this is a rare instance where we can see just how much social media and negative critical reception can affect a tentpole movie like this. Man of Steel has been divisive amongst comic fans, although other indicators would show that it did well in general, but three years of negativity and caution amongst that audience has now exploded in the worst way possible with this critical lashing. So, it's really interesting to see what happens next. No brand is infallible, and Batman, just like Star Wars and Spider-Man, has fallen before, but we've never had a situation like this before. You're talking three years of concern, and three years of the elitists and diehards being negative, but that has been rewarded. I don't remember another scenario quite like this, and with such a big movie.

If this movie ends up having decent legs, and passes the $1.2 billion mark (which is the barrier I feel it needs to go beyond for me to consider it a good financial result when looking at the Batman brand), the dissonance on display between the general audience and critics is going to be another one of those Predator moments.

Well said, Master Verendus.

Effect

Sitting down and waiting for the 6pm est showing. People are slowing taking up seats. People appear excited. Some talk about reviews and issues with them and their content. Good bit of Batman shirts. Have a Superman one I might wear tomorrow.

a916

That's some click bait stuff lol... IS THIS THE WORST MOVIE EVER? Scroll to the end... C-.

People nowadays struggle to review stuff without going full on sensationalism. Similar to this message board. People go overboard with everything because they want that attention.

Verendus

Banned
NEVER
TRUST
VERENDUS
Friend, I am on the biggest high right now.

In just over a week, I become heir to the throne, I enjoyed BvS a lot, and soon Roman Reigns becomes the WWE World Heavyweight Champion. Immediately after which, I will plow through Uncharted 4 in the course of a few days. There is no way I come back to planet Earth anytime soon, unless Wrasslin'Mania and Nathaniel Drake fail me. In which case, I'm going to ponder the meaning of life. Why, oh why, hath my TPS abandoned me?

But did you know something Bronson? Did you know something?

giphy.gif

Not even UC4 would keep me down. I'd get right back up brother. There ain't no stopping me. Not until I'm dead.

IconGrist

Friend, I am on the biggest high right now.

In just over a week, I become heir to the throne, I enjoyed BvS a lot, and soon Roman Reigns becomes the WWE World Heavyweight Champion. Immediately after which, I will plow through Uncharted 4 in the course of a few days. There is no way I come back to planet Earth anytime soon, unless Wrasslin'Mania and Nathaniel Drake fail me. In which case, I'm going to ponder the meaning of life. Why, oh why, hath my TPS abandoned me?

But did you know something Bronson? Did you know something?

giphy.gif

Not even UC4 would keep me down. I'd get right back up brother. There ain't no stopping me. Not until I'm dead.

Isn't UC4 in May??? HAVE I BEEN MISLED???

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine a huge drop off next week, first page of OT will be nothing but DC/Snyder/Bvs.

Ninjimbo

The deal is clearly for Affleck to direct/star in these unless something goes horribly, horribly, HORRIBLY wrong
I hope you're right.

Regarding all the critic talk, all the hyperbole is why I avoid most critics. I only read a few people and they're mostly from established publications who I know aren't looking for some publicity. I don't look at RT so much these days because I'm met with reviews from about a hundred people I'm not familiar with and who I'm not sure are qualified to be critics. What use do I get out of those opinions?

Boke1879

Imagine a huge drop off next week, first page of OT will be nothing but DC/Snyder/Bvs.

Don't bother yourself with that. Whatever happens simply just happens. I mean hopefully WOM is good. Also I think this movie doesn't have much competition for about a month. So we'll see.

Verendus

Banned
what would that dude know about tracking. his guess is as good as ours on that one.

it's projected as 150 OW. and WB is saying 300 global.
This would be a disappoint for Warner if it happened. Maybe not a disaster (although the international take would be a disaster), but definitely a huge disappointment overall. It needs to do north of $180 million domestic and $400 million global really. I imagine the terrorist attacks in France and Belgium will affect the box office take in those countries, but other countries shouldn't really be held back. Regardless of all that, I'm pretty sure it's easily going to clear $300 million global. That's not even a question.

The only way this can become a greater show is if X-Men finally breaks out like crazy and does $1.5 billion worldwide. It's something no one is expecting. I know comic fans don't like Singer, but I think he's the second best director this genre has gotten after Nolan. He's been very consistent with his X-Men movies. Not a bad one yet, even if the first one is pretty average. His other two were both good, and near the top of the heap. Let's see if he keeps his streak alive.

my bad 350 global actually. we'll see. it's doing well overseas right now apparently.

edit: i know your feelings on raimi's movies but personally post-2000s the holy trinity of comic book directors is easily nolan, singer and raimi.

i'd fucking love it if apocalypse was a huge success but i don't see it doing that much better than dofp. 800-900 is the ceiling for that franchise

strafer

yebdUWj.gif

a916

Jesus, that fucking review thread is a goddamn cesspool.

I haven't ventured in there... but it's really weird that this is all based on comics where you're encouraged to change things up, alter things, tweak them, change things. Infact some of the best stuff has come from people taking chances.

In movies, when you do it, the nerd outrage get's dialed to 11.

Except that the X-Men films, the Nolan films, and even the MCU have all taken plenty of liberties with their source material, so I don't think that's it.

Yeah, good point. Those were all met with rage... like Quicksilver, but fans are very VERY forgiving when the movies turn out to be good. Some of those trivial things that people bring up now are non issues if the movies are good.

At the theater, so fucking excited! From 3 years to 45 minutes...

7 more hours... hype starting to kick in!!

I haven't ventured in there... but it's really weird that this is all based on comics where you're encouraged to change things up, alter things, tweak them, change things. Infact some of the best stuff has come from people taking chances.

Except that the X-Men films, the Nolan films, and even the MCU have all taken plenty of liberties with their source material, so I don't think that's it.

This would be a disappoint for Warner if it happened. Maybe not a disaster (although the international take would be a disaster), but definitely a huge disappointment overall. It needs to do north of $180 million domestic and $400 million global really. I imagine the terrorist attacks in France and Belgium will affect the box office take in those countries, but other countries shouldn't really be held back. Regardless of all that, I'm pretty sure it's easily going to clear $300 million global. That's not even a question.

The only way this can become a greater show is if X-Men finally breaks out like crazy and does $1.5 billion worldwide. It's something no one is expecting. I know comic fans don't like Singer, but I think he's the second best director this genre has gotten after Nolan. He's been very consistent with his X-Men movies. Not a bad one yet, even if the first one is pretty average. His other two were both good, and near the top of the heap. Let's see if he keeps his streak alive.

Hey now, some of us can get past the back leather costumes ! The X-men franchise has had it's ups and and downs but Singer is the one director that has managed to increase the quality with every sequel he's made, including when he produced First Class. I have my doubts about how Apocalypse is going to fare at the box-office but with the success of Deadpool, everything is possible.

Verendus

Banned
my bad 350 global actually. we'll see. it's doing well overseas right now apparently.

edit: i know your feelings on raimi's movies but personally post-2000s the holy trinity of comic book directors is easily nolan, singer and raimi.

i'd fucking love it if apocalypse was a huge success but i don't see it doing that much better than dofp. 800-900 is the ceiling for that franchise
Yeah, I don't see X-Men breaking out since it's pretty established at this point, but I just want to see it happen. X-Men, X2, and Days of Future Past is a pretty good resume. The first, while average, is still historically significant. The latter two are easily in the upper echelon of this genre. Singer has been surprisingly consistent. I think had he not left the franchise temporarily, the X-Men franchise would be the most consistent in the genre.

He tends to have a good mix of the character work you generally don't find in this genre, while also putting in crowd pleasing action and entertainment. Nolan obviously leaned to the character side a lot more, while Marvel tends to lean towards the pure entertainment one. Singer is usually somewhere in the middle. I do wonder what his plans for the third entry were.

Yeah, I don't see X-Men breaking out since it's pretty established at this point, but I just want to see it happen. X-Men, X2, and Days of Future Past is a pretty good resume. The first, while average, is still historically significant. The latter two are easily in the upper echelon of this genre. Singer has been surprisingly consistent. I think had he not left the franchise temporarily, the X-Men franchise would be the most consistent in the genre.

He tends to have a good mix of the character work you generally don't find in this genre, while also putting in crowd pleasing action and entertainment. Nolan obviously leaned to the character side a lot more, while Marvel tends to lean towards the pure entertainment one. Singer is usually somewhere in the middle. I do wonder what his plans for the third entry were.

http://screenrant.com/bryan-singers-x-men-3-4-story-rob-34720/

“The idea – you open up with Alkali Lake but it’s completely barren and dried up and there are these odd reports of strange phenomena going on around the world accompanied by bright lights in the sky.”

“The idea would be that both the X-Men and the Brotherhood realize that essentially a very god-like force had entered their reality and that it was causing disruptions around the world – mutant prisons being decimated. I had pitched an idea about a fleet of cargo ships getting torn apart in the Atlantic and you found out that they were shuttling mutants as slave labor.”

“So basically you found out was that Phoenix was going round the world taking things into her own hands and that she had basically returned as a god, which they did touch upon in X3. She had viewed herself as above the conflict, that she was here to end things on her terms, she was basically sick of the fighting and she was going to take things into her own hands and she didn’t give a shit what the X-Men or the Brotherhood had to say about it.”

x-2 screenwriter and guy doing the story for apocalypse.

would have been flames. actually reading that...i think he just spelled out his x-men apocalypse storyline years prior.

Tabby

And then in X-Men movies people want it to be more true to comics.

You can never win.

Jup, I'm probably in the odd minority though. I'm someone who can really like a movie like Only God Forgives and then dislike something which is beloved by critics/audiences. The movie really worked for me, I understand that it has structural problems and the scenes don't flow into each other nicely. But I can overlook that, it doesn't bother me. I certainly don't have this attitude of; omg that character is not supposed to do that.

For me it has great imagery, great action, great music and an interesting plot I really, really liked. Some scenes are like from a horror movie, and thriller and then action again. It doesn't play it safe and I can really appreciate that. But above all; I just want to be entertained and/or moved (depending on the movie). This had both for me personally.

That's good to hear. Only God Forgives is on my list of movies to watch this summer.

Well, I think I'll enjoy it. I'm just bothered by how people are on the bandwagon for slamming BvS. I've read too many reviews that don't reflect the scores and visa versa. And things a lot of critics hate are given a pass in other movies.

I just want the future of DCEU to be solidified. I don't want another reboot. I'm TIRED of reboots.

Verendus

Banned
http://screenrant.com/bryan-singers-x-men-3-4-story-rob-34720/

x-2 screenwriter and guy doing the story for apocalypse.

would have been flames. actually reading that...i think he just spelled out his x-men apocalypse storyline years prior.
It does kind of sound like that. The whole destroying the world and building a new one in its place was in the Apocalypse trailers. The premise is decent enough, but execution always matters most. You can always elevate the story that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom