• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would've been perfect if
Superman had "changed" Batman... almost like Joker broke him and Superman, shows him hope, and brings him back in line and he stops killing etc... that said I didn't have a problem, Joker clearly messed him up, Alfred alludes to this too
[/QUOTE]

That's my interpretation of what happens.

Justice League will still be happening as intended.

Even if they change Synder (which I doubt, this is Warner Brothers)

These actors are all in place, and ready to start filming, sets are constructed, contracts.

So, a lot of reviews on YT up now. And one thing I noticed (even Schnepp from Collider touched on it) is
calling Snyder out for having a killer Batman. Haha, I fucking knew that this would happen. Nolan and Burton did the exact same fucking thing, but Snyder is the one that gets called out for it. Fucking bullshit.

My problem with that is that it was never justified. In Man of Steel, whether you like it or not, Superman had a reason for killing Zod. In Batman Begins, Bruce was dealing with a criminal mastermind that threatened the lives of millions of people and he didn't kill him directly. It's a cop-out I agree, but he never killed anyone after that to my recollection.

In BvS,
Batman murders dozens of people during the chase scene without a second thought just to steal a rock, which he could have done in a much more discreet way, he's the fucking Batman. He has no idea who these people are. Are they criminals ? Sure. But he has no proof whatsoever about the severity of their crimes, aside from the guy that was in Africa, most of Batman's victims are just henchmen. He crossed that line way too easily.

Regarding the Burton films, I love them but they had almost nothing to do with the comics anyway. The Joker was the murderer of Bruce Wayne's parents, etc. Zack Snyder goes out of his way to reproduce so many elements from Frank Miller's Batman but even his version was never that
lethal and Snyder doesn't seem to understand that. Why is the Joker even still alive in the Snyder universe ?

Tabby

Justice League will still be happening as intended.

Even if they change Synder (which I doubt, this is Warner Brothers)

These actors are all in place, and ready to start filming, sets are constructed, contracts.

But... There's no Green Lantern...

Aw hell at least I still Young Justice and JL/JLU.

a916

God damnit, the more I think about this movie the more I love... especially Cavill's performance.

I was right there with him and his emotion. When he rages out with Lex on the platform seeing his mom... the moment the capital blows up and he's standing in the fire... him flying away saying there's no good men or something... the moment at the very end saying this is hit planet...

There was also his scene at the end where
he decides not to brand Lex
. That scene was a turning point to put Batman back in the right mindset I felt.

They will stumble, they will fall, but in time, they will join you in the sun.

Yep, that is my interpretation of Batman aswell. Pretty good if you ask me. His past needs to be more fleshed out though.

Legit the biggest thing that was holding me back from loving the Batman in this film... the more I think about it the more I agree.

IconGrist

At the very end, he does say
"I will honor you in death" or something
so you're on to something.

. That scene was a turning point to put Batman back in the right mindset I felt.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
So, JL1 is basically the end of their Phase 1. I really wonder how they will move forward after that. I doubt even Zack wants to continue like this, he probably does not like it when critics/audiences slam his movies but can live with that to a certain extent and keep doing his best. But the last few days have been more than that, getting attacked on a personal level is just idiotic. That must really suck and hurt, people act like he burned down their house or something.

Sadly GAF was no different, OT is still toxic.

Yep, that is my interpretation of Batman aswell. Pretty good if you ask me. His past needs to be more fleshed out though.

ryan299

Zack Snyder's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice — starring Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill — is off a superhero-sized start at the North Amercan box office, where it's on course to earn $78 million-$83 million on Friday for a weekend take of $160 million-$170 million, putting it among the top five superhero films of all time, according to early returns. Some even are betting it could hit $175 million.

Hollywood Reporter

WhiteWolf

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but does anyone think that in the Knightmare timeline, Lois was kidnapped instead of Ma Kent? Flash mentioned to Bruce to save Lois. I wonder if in that timeline, Batman did stab Superman during their fight, but it didn't kill him. Because of this, Batman never found out about Lex's plan, Lois dies, and this turns Superman bad.

bryanee

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but does anyone think that in the Knightmare timeline, Lois was kidnapped instead of Ma Kent? Flash mentioned to Bruce to save Lois. I wonder if in that timeline, Batman did stab Superman during their fight, but it didn't kill him. Because of this, Batman never found out about Lex's plan, Lois dies, and this turns Superman bad.

I don't think that warning had anything to do with this movie but for future JL stuff

Dead

well not really...yet
It's just set up for a future movie, that's why it's so out of place

Ahasverus

It would've been perfect if
Superman had "changed" Batman... almost like Joker broke him and Superman, shows him hope, and brings him back in line and he stops killing etc... that said I didn't have a problem, Joker clearly messed him up, Alfred alludes to this too

That's my interpretation of what happens.
I think that's implied.

a916

I think that's implied.

So Terrio the god?

Also cross posting this... it just clicked in my head:

No no, he put bail on the wheelchair dude. He's convinces him to go to the senator and have Superman face him in court. Superman being a nice dude does it so he can help show he's doing the right thing (similar to him going the press route with Batman). Lex has it rigged and it explode painting him in a bad light. Thus the piss jar, showing the senator that Lex is going to get his way regardless of what she thinks and she already helped him without her knowing, her looking at the jar was the moment she realized she was played.

At the exact same time he's been sending his paycheques (wheelchair dude) back to Bruce Wayne saying it's all his fault he let him down... giving him an alibi to suicide bomb the place. Placing further guilt on Bruce and at the same time pitting Bruce against Superman. It had nothing to do with the world turning on him, he wanted the entire time for Batman to turn on him. He played Batman like a fiddle.

The entire time he's pitting the two together, he's even sending Clark those photos of the bat branding.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Man, it does feel weird now that the movie is out. Every day trying to find out plot details, discussing what might happen, the waiting...and suddenly it's here. It really was my most anticipated movie this year. Next up: The Nice Guys (if you guys haven't seen the trailer, go watch it!).

PBY

Banned
So Terrio the god?

Also cross posting this... it just clicked in my head:

No no, he put bail on the wheelchair dude. He's convinces him to go to the senator and have Superman face him in court. Superman being a nice dude does it so he can help show he's doing the right thing (similar to him going the press route with Batman). Lex has it rigged and it explode painting him in a bad light. Thus the piss jar, showing the senator that Lex is going to get his way regardless of what she thinks and she already helped him without her knowing, her looking at the jar was the moment she realized she was played.

At the exact same time he's been sending his paycheques (wheelchair dude) back to Bruce Wayne saying it's all his fault he let him down... giving him an alibi to suicide bomb the place. Placing further guilt on Bruce and at the same time pitting Bruce against Superman. It had nothing to do with the world turning on him, he wanted the entire time for Batman to turn on him. He played Batman like a fiddle.

The entire time he's pitting the two together, he's even sending Clark those photos of the bat branding.
Know you're joking but the script was a mess. They have to clean that up for JL. Not just the flow, but there were some exceptionally cringeworthy lines in this.

Effect

Saw the movie for a second time and it was just as enjoyable. Went with more family and they all enjoyed it a lot. Another packed screening with full lines waiting for their screenings as well when we got out. People coming out of the theater and while waiting for the bathrooms were talking positive about the film just like they were last night.I know is anecdotal but I think word of mouth will be strong. The numbers already are really strong. Interested in seeing what the cinema score will be. Anyone know when that should come out?

IconGrist

I've made my decision and Lex is the standout for me. The more I think about the movie the more I smile thinking about all the shit Lex did. Just an incredible showing of manipulation. Even when faced with defeat he's like "No, I can't let you win" and it's so matter of fact. He believes beyond a shadow of a doubt he's the smartest guy in the room and he was. He played everybody. Everybody.

Know you're joking but the script was a mess. They have to clean that up for JL. Not just the flow, but there were some exceptionally cringeworthy lines in this.

I don't think the script was a mess at all. It was really good but there are definitely scenes missing. I didn't catch any cringeworthy lines but that's going to be different from person to person so I won't argue it. I'd love to hear a specific example though.

PBY

Banned
I've made my decision and Lex is the standout for me. The more I think about the movie the more I smile thinking about all the shit Lex did. Just an incredible showing of manipulation. Even when faced with defeat he's like "No, I can't let you win" and it's so matter of fact. He believes beyond a shadow of a doubt he's the smartest guy in the room and he was. He played everybody. Everybody.
I don't know if he's my standout, because I liked batfleck but I really liked him

a916

Yeah, I have to agree.

Affleck > Gadot > Irons > Cavill > Eisenberg > Adams

For me:

Affleck > Cavill > Adams > Irons = Fisburne > Eisenberg.

Didn't hate any of their performances but I felt the two leads really were the stars.

Yeah, I am watching it again tomorrow in 2D. I felt 3D was uselles and too dark ?

Yeah, unless it's IMAX 3D, which still has an affect, 3D prints have less brightness which sucks.

IconGrist

I'm seeing the movie again in an hour so I'll see if my opinion on anything changes. In 2D this time. Do not see this in 3D. Completely pointless.

I don't think the script was a mess at all. It was really good but there are definitely scenes missing. I didn't catch any cringeworthy lines but that's going to be different from person to person so I won't argue it. I'd love to hear a specific example though.

totally disagree about lex. his plan and manipulation was great. the writing and acting didn't hit for me at all though. it's like they wanted so bad for JE be the next heathjoker or bardem in skyfall. not a good idea. they have letojoker on the horizon. they should have gone cold-hearted stoic psycho lex. gus fring lex. shit, gus fring should have been lex luthor

IconGrist

totally disagree about lex. his plan and manipulation was great. the writing and acting didn't hit for me at all though. it's like they wanted so bad for JE be the next heathjoker or bardem in skyfall. not a good idea. they have letojoker on the horizon. they should have gone cold-hearted stoic psycho lex. gus fring lex. shit, gus fring should have been lex luthor

I can't agree there. I didn't get him trying to be Ledger or Bardem at all. He didn't even have any scenes reminiscent of that. He was just unhinged which is a similar character trait I guess but they never played it to be as theatrical.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I really need to see this again! I can't get the intro sequence and the first 10 minutes, along with Batman v Superman out of my head!

I can't agree there. I didn't get him trying to be Ledger or Bardem at all. He didn't even have any scenes reminiscent of that. He was just unhinged which is a similar character trait I guess but they never played it to be as theatrical.

really? he seems incredibly over the top and theatrical to me. you already have joker, why have a lex that's joker-lite. lex should be a yin to joker's yang IMO

rokero

nice to hear this I want this movie to do well so we can keep getting more I'm sure after JLA, Snyder will leave having set up his vision and stay as a producer for the rest of the movies way too much hate directed his way and for all we know it could've been the Studio that force him to have the JLA cameos, I think after BvS Affleck will ask to be more involved in all aspects of JLA

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
No idea what movie the reviewers watched because this was brilliant.

Ben Affleck was amazing as Batman. Setup for the justice league movie was great and the music was fantastic.

Also, there was definitely intentional humor, so no idea wtf the reviewers were on about there either.

Corpsepyre

Banned
No idea what movie the reviewers watched because this was brilliant.

Ben Affleck was amazing as Batman. Setup for the justice league movie was great and the music was fantastic.

Also, there was definitely intentional humor, so no idea wtf the reviewers were on about there either.

It's a conspiracy! Didn't you get the memo?

Oh, apparently Jimmy Olsen is actually in the movie.
He gets shot in the head.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/25/batman-v-superman-jimmy-olsen

Great quote from Snyder :

“We just did it as this little aside because we had been tracking where we thought the movies were gonna go, and we don’t have room for Jimmy Olsen in our big pantheon of characters, but we can have fun with him, right?”

God, I hope they get rid of Snyder and rethink Justice League.

Yup. After that EW article, I hope Zack and his wife are put on the back burner sooner rather than later.

He has this grand plan for Olsen, doesn't go through with the high profile casting, but still goes through with the gotcha! moment without even letting audiences know who the hell just got shot. Not to mention the 180 done during the casting of Lex all because Snyder's wife suggested Jesse for Lex. Ugh.

Snyder is definitely the type that remember cool moments from certain things and just wants to put them in his movie whether they fit or not. Tarantino strikes me as the same person, but he actually constructs his own movie and characters to fulfill those fantasies.

Simo

Wait, does the UE only come with the CE? Please tell me they didn't lock a superior version of the movie behind a statue.

Of course not. CE comes with both blu-rays along with the statue. You'll be able to buy the Ultimate Edition separately for MSRP$33

on Snapchat?

I think so? Just saw the photos shared on a fan page on Facebook.

Also just read EW's new article about
Jimmy Olsen
being in the movie, while not mentioned by name in the theatrical version but identified in the UE. Apparently it was the role Jesse was asked for but the conversation steered towards Lex and the role changed over the older actors they had been looking at like Bryan Cranston.

Snyder needs to stop talking. Seriously, what is he thinking with these comments?

WB can actually bring him to stop talking, right? There must be an optinion to shit him up in his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom