• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

Oh, apparently Jimmy Olsen is actually in the movie.
He gets shot in the head.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/25/batman-v-superman-jimmy-olsen

Great quote from Snyder :

God, I hope they get rid of Snyder and rethink Justice League.

I'm a huge Superman fan and I couldn't care less about him. What a utterly useless character. Also Jenny Jurwich is a million times more fleshed out and has her own growth than Jimmy. Anything he could've done is something Jenny can do and better. She's already a better reporter than Clark because she gets the bigger new beats from Perry.

Superman doesn't need this dumb happy go lucky photographer. Anything they could've done with Jimmy can be done with Jenny... I always assumed Jenny was their stand in for Jimmy anyways.

The only thing I got from this is, "we had no plans for Jimmy Olson"... lol people really give a crap for a D-tier character?

Boke1879

I really don't see the big deal honestly. The only thing that comment will do is just piss people off on forums. What sort of play was he going to get in this universe anyway?

Ashhong

Yup. After that EW article, I hope Zack and his wife are put on the back burner sooner rather than later.

He has this grand plan for Olsen, doesn't go through with the high profile casting, but still goes through with the gotcha! moment without even letting audiences know who the hell just got shot. Not to mention the 180 done during the casting of Lex all because Snyder's wife suggested Jesse for Lex. Ugh.

Snyder is definitely the type that remember cool moments from certain things and just wants to put them in his movie whether they fit or not. Tarantino strikes me as the same person, but he actually constructs his own movie and characters to fulfill those fantasies.

On the contrary,

The fact that he doesn't let the audience know in the theatrical cut seems better to me. He's not trying to make it about Jimmy, there just is no "gotcha!" moment. Imagine if you hadn't read this article, would it matter that the photographer died?

Also, it says Snyder turned to his wife and suggested him for Lex after their meeting. HE wanted to do something different after meeting with Eisenberg. That was his vision, there's nothing wrong with that.

Ahasverus

I can't with Snyder, I just can't. Remember that fun character you loved? I'm gonna kill him off for fun hahaha. So fun.
Also that other character you loved? Imma change it to the core because I liked this other guy I was auditioning for a cameo. Visionary as fuck.

I'm a huge Superman fan and I couldn't care less about him. What a utterly useless character. Also Jenny Jurwich is a million times more fleshed out and has her own growth than Jimmy. Anything he could've done is something Jenny can do and better. She's already a better reporter than Clark because she gets the bigger new beats from Perry.

Superman doesn't need this dumb happy go lucky photographer. Anything they could've done with Jimmy can be done with Jenny... I always assumed Jenny was their stand in for Jimmy anyways.

I never had a problem with Jimmy not being in the movie, I asumed that Jenny was just him gender-swapped. But the fact that Snyder felt the need to have Olsen in the movie anyway just to
execute him
is just a perfect exemple of why Snyder shouldn't have so much control over the DCCU. He doesn't want him in the movie ? Fine. But what was the point of showing him for two minutes
and then killing him
?

a916

On the contrary,

The fact that he doesn't let the audience know in the theatrical cut seems better to me. He's not trying to make it about Jimmy, there just is no "gotcha!" moment. Imagine if you hadn't read this article, would it matter that the photographer died?

Also, it says Snyder turned to his wife and suggested him for Lex after their meeting. HE wanted to do something different after meeting with Eisenberg. That was his vision, there's nothing wrong with that.

It's actually easy to fix... they can retro-fit that so quickly because I think that's going to go over everyone's head. Totally ignore it if they REALLY wanted to, but they won't cause no one cares about him. I had no clue he was even in the movie... did he have a Jimmy nameplate or was he called by name?

You wouldn't have known otherwise who he was aside from this interview. Most of the general watching audience won't even know who this person is.

This is why it'll be easy to retcon if they really cared.

Boke1879

I never had a problem with Jimmy not being in the movie, I asumed that Jenny was just him gender-swapped. But the fact that Snyder felt the need to have Olsen in the movie anyway just to
execute him
is just a perfect exemple of why Snyder shouldn't have so much control over the DCCU. He doesn't want him in the movie ? Fine. But what was the point of showing him for two minutes
and then killing him
?

You wouldn't have known otherwise who he was aside from this interview. Most of the general watching audience won't even know who this person is.

On the contrary,

i love snyder, but man that was a terrible idea. cranston would have been amazing

On the contrary,

I saw his name in the credits. I believe it was one of the first ones in the credits cause they appeared to be in order of appearance. I didn't need this article to tell me Jimmy Olsen got a bullet to the face.

I'm not much of a comics person, so I'm a lot more open to new interpretations of characters than fans, but this just speaks to some of Snyder's problems. He wants to have a Psycho moment, goes through with it, but botches the whole thing beyond belief. He truly is a visual director who just wants to see the cool shit that swirling around in his head, how he gets there doesn't matter as much.

The number of Jimmy Olson fans in here is surprising.

I'm not a fan. It just speaks to complaints about Zack.

Again, it's not about the fact that it happened in the movie and they can retcon it anyway since he will only be named in the extended cut. The problem is the fact that Snyder thought that it was an okay thing to do.

By the way,
Mercy was also killed, right
? She was a highlight of the Superman animated show for me.

Ashhong

I can't with Snyder, I just can't. Remember that fun character you loved? I'm gonna kill him off for fun hahaha. So fun.

It was for shock value, and it would have been awesome.

It's actually easy to fix... they can retro-fit that so quickly because I think that's going to go over everyone's head. Totally ignore it if they REALLY wanted to, but they won't cause no one cares about him. I had no clue he was even in the movie... did he have a Jimmy nameplate or was he called by name?

This is why it'll be easy to retcon if they really cared.

I don't understand what you're replying to. I think it says in the Ultimate Edition he introduces himself to Lois. In the theatrical version, he's nobody, it shouldn't even matter to the audience really. This interview changes nothing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The number of Jimmy Olson fans in here is surprising.

It's not about Jimmy Olsen fans, is doing shit for shock value that brings absolutely nothing to the universe, also Jimmy would've gone a long way towards humanizing Superman just having someone he could be friends with would go a long way, so he's best idea is to
off him for shits and giggles
. Just doing it for that "I got ya, didn't I?" moment that he thinks it's cool. Yeah, it's not.

a916

It was for shock value, and it would have been awesome.

I don't understand what you're replying to. I think it says in the Ultimate Edition he introduces himself to Lois. In the theatrical version, he's nobody, it shouldn't even matter to the audience really. This interview changes nothing.

Sorry I was just adding to your point that's they've allowed themselves to retcon it really easy.

Ashhong

i love snyder, but man that was a terrible idea. cranston would have been amazing

To be fair, it doesn't say they got Cranston. It says they wanted a bald dude, and Cranston would have been good as your typical Lex. I won't fault him for trying something different.

I saw his name in the credits. I believe it was one of the first ones in the credits cause they appeared to be in order of appearance. I didn't need this article to tell me Jimmy Olsen got a bullet to the face.

I'm not much of a comics person, so I'm a lot more open to new interpretations of characters than fans, but this just speaks to some of Snyder's problems. He wants to have a Psycho moment, goes through with it, but botches the whole thing beyond belief. He truly is a visual director who just wants to see the cool shit that swirling around in his head, how he gets there doesn't matter as much.

I'm not a fan. It just speaks to complaints about Zack.

I don't think he botched it. Theatrical edition is the same, and in the UE it sounds like it's changes it because you know it's him. The only thing he botched I guess is that he didn't keep the introduction in the main movie. He also should have kept the idea of using a high profile celebrity.

Sorry I was just adding to your point that's they've allowed themselves to retcon it really easy.

Ah, ok. Although it seems like they can't since they put him in the credits and the ultimate edition cut.

Boke1879

I'm not even a fan of Snyder like that. But at this point I hope he just says whatever he wants with whatever consequences. Critics already shit on the movie. People on the internet are blasting him for whatever he says.

Just say what you want. Fuck what people think. Make JL and then step down as director. I'm sure dude is tired, and it's one thing to critique a mans work, but to fling insults at him and his family is insane. Not saying anyone is doing that in this thread.

Snaku

Banned
Sitting down for my second viewing. I think the part I'm most looking forward to is seeing the beginning again, it's so beautifully shot. Can't wait to see it again tomorrow with family.

I don't think he botched it. Theatrical edition is the same, and in the UE it sounds like it's changes it because you know it's him. The only thing he botched I guess is that he didn't keep the introduction in the main movie. He also should have kept the idea of using a high profile celebrity.

How can you say he didn't botch it when you just said he fumbled on 2/3s of the idea? He didn't do the introduction and didn't stick to the high profile actor, but still went ahead with the last part. Sounds like a botched plan to me.

To be fair, it doesn't say they got Cranston. It says they wanted a bald dude, and Cranston would have been good as your typical Lex. I won't fault him for trying something different.

i do in this case because it wasn't something different to me. it was different for the character of lex luthor, sure. but it wasn't different for a comic/action movie villain. it was the cliche quirky scene-chewing talkative psycho. as i said before, to me it came across like an attempt to replicate heath joker or bardem in skyfall. at this point, making him eccentric isn't different at all.

Ashhong

How can you say he didn't botch it when you just said he fumbled on 2/3s of the idea? He didn't do the introduction and didn't stick to the high profile actor, but still went ahead with the last part. Sounds like a botched plan to me.

What I meant was, he didn't botch the scene in the movie, if that makes sense.

He botched his original idea yes, but what he put in the movie as an alternative was fine as well. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right.

When you say "he botched it in the movie" it makes it come across like he still tried to do the same, "gotcha!" moment, but he didn't. So he didn't botch anything, he changed it completely.

i do in this case because it wasn't something different to me. it was different for the character of lex luthor, sure. but it wasn't different for a comic/action movie villain. it was the cliche quirky scene-chewing talkative psycho. as i said before, to me it came across like an attempt to replicate heath joker or bardem in skyfall. at this point, making him eccentric isn't different at all.

I see what you're saying, but it's what's different to the character that really matters imo. I don't think he meant he was trying to revolutionize villains everywhere. He just wanted to do a different take on Lex.

Boke1879

Yea while I did like this portrayal of Lex I knew people who either going to love him or hate him. No in between. He's definitely in your face.

Gleethor

People keep coming back to this. There have been other eccentric characters in film before, some even before 2008! Little known fact.

What I meant was, he didn't botch the scene in the movie, if that makes sense.

He botched his original idea yes, but what he put in the movie as an alternative was fine as well. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right.

When you say "he botched it in the movie" it makes it come across like he still tried to do the same, "gotcha!" moment, but he didn't. So he didn't botch anything, he changed it completely.

I understand where you're coming from now.

Rooster12

Honestly. I love Nolans Dialogue enough to forget the action scenes. Even if his dialogue ain't perfect, it's memeorable.
Just have Nolan and Zack team up for the giggles.

The good dialogue are always from the villains.

Batman never has any good dialogue in the Nolan films.

It's always "I'll stop you!" "Come with me!" "Why do you want to kill me!"

As generic as possible

Ahasverus

Zack Snyder sounds in that interview like he's is the Joker. "Do I look like I have a plan? No, I'm just a dog chasing cars..". He changed an entire character because of a casual conversation with a guy who didn't resemble it at all. He just does things because he's cool. I hope he's gone soon. I'm in awe really.

Ashhong

I think Snyder's biggest fault is that he underestimates fan's passion, although I don't see how since he's had 3 years of this shit.

Zack Snyder sounds in that interview like he's is the Joker. "Do I look like I have a plan? No, I'm just a dog chasing cars..". He changed an entire character because of a casual conversation with a guy who didn't resemble it at all. He just does things because he's cool. I hope he's gone soon. I'm in awe really.

You act like he's literally just doing things because it's "cool". He's doing it because he thinks it's a better route to go. You have no idea what he changed or how much was planned before he even cast Eisenberg.

I couldn't care less about the character, but the part 'let's have some fun with him' meaning
shoot him in the head in the movie
irks me.

This.

I'll be talking about the movie a bit, so keep that in mind if you want to avoid spoilers.

It's maddening, Jimmy Olsen is a historic character in the comics and was vital to the golden age of Superman. Is he a lame character? Sure, he's never been a cool character or even a serious character but just to kill him off for laughs shows you how careless he is with the overall universe. Jimmy could have been a fun character in a possible spin-off movie. But no, Snyder wants to kill him because he thinks it would be a "fun." Hell... Jimmy gets his ass saved in the comics all the time. How cool would that be if instead of only saving Lois in the desert, Superman saved Jimmy? I actually remember watching the movie and being bummed that Superman was there for Lois but not there for the other dude. The more I see Snyder's choices for the DCEU the more I become uncertain in the direction we're heading in.

People keep coming back to this. There have been other eccentric characters in film before, some even before 2008! Little known fact.

the point is, he evokes those characters as a sort of attempt to recreate them more so than being a great villain in his own right. having a villain like that isn't "doing something different" it's actually doing the expected thing

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Just got out. Really really liked it and bordering on love. Went with my wife who isn't in to DC, daughter and son who are, and my 61 year old mom and 67 year old step dad who know nothing about comics. We were all in agreement that it was really good. My 10 year old followed it fine with no confusion. None of us got bored and when I told them after the movie that it is a common complaint among many they all laughed.

This might be the moment in my life that triggers me to stop listening to critics all together. Reading the horrible reviews and then watching it I can echo a statement that has been thrown around here that I feel they watched a different movie. All the cast acted their ass off I thought.

-Affleck is easily my favorite Batman
-Irons is easily my favorite Alfred
-I thought Cavill did a much better job than MoS
-Wonder Woman was pure awesome
-Lex was really good and I understood his motivations.
-Supporting cast was solid
-Fights were spectacular

It was a little slow in the beginning but it was leading somewhere and I was never lost. Yes, they jumped around but who cares? Most of it was relevant. Maybe a few scenes that had nothing to do with the immediate plot but they still had meaning. The complaints about the universe building are ridiculous. I barely noticed it at all. I could have taken more. I feel like the universe building complaint will become the destruction complaint of MoS. Both are baseless IMO

8.75/10. Seeing it again tomorrow.

Ashhong

the point is, he evokes those characters as a sort of attempt to recreate them more so than being a great villain in his own right. having a villain like that isn't "doing something different" it's actually doing the expected thing

I don't see where they said that they wanted to do something different regarding general villain portrayal.

I don't see where they said that they wanted to do something different regarding general villain portrayal.

haha, come on now. are you applauding them for trying something different or defending them for going with what works? it's okay to like the movie and critique decisions here guys

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just got out. Really really liked it and bordering on love. Went with my wife who isn't in to DC, daughter and son who are, and my 61 year old mom and 67 year old step dad who know nothing about comics. We were all in agreement that it was really good. My 10 year old followed it fine with no confusion. None of us got bored and when I told them after the movie that it is a common complaint among many they all laughed.

This might be the moment in my life that triggers me to stop listening to critics all together. Reading the horrible reviews and then watching it I can echo a statement that has been thrown around here that I feel they watched a different movie. All the cast acted their ass off I thought.

-Affleck is easily my favorite Batman
-Irons is easily my favorite Alfred
-I thought Cavill did a much better job than MoS
-Wonder Woman was pure awesome
-Lex was really good and I understood his motivations.
-Supporting cast was solid
-Fights were spectacular

It was a little slow in the beginning but it was leading somewhere and I was never lost. Yes, they jumped around but who cares? Most of it was relevant. Maybe a few scenes that had nothing to do with the immediate plot but they still had meaning. The complaints about the universe building are ridiculous. I barely noticed it at all. I could have taken more. I feel like the universe building complaint will become the destruction complaint of MoS. Both are baseless IMO

8.75/10. Seeing it again tomorrow.

This. Fuck reviews. Only opinion I care about is my own.

Also that other character you loved? Imma change it to the core because I liked this other guy I was auditioning for a cameo. Visionary as fuck.

nobody cares about Jimmy,James or whatever you call him.

It's not about Jimmy Olsen fans, is doing shit for shock value that brings absolutely nothing to the universe, also Jimmy would've gone a long way towards humanizing Superman just having someone he could be friends with would go a long way, so he's best idea is to
off him for shits and giggles
. Just doing it for that "I got ya, didn't I?" moment that he thinks it's cool. Yeah, it's not.

he has Lois and his mom to humanize him.

The good dialogue are always from the villains.

Batman never has any good dialogue in the Nolan films.

It's always "I'll stop you!" "Come with me!" "Why do you want to kill me!"

As generic as possible
Zack movies didn't do better honestly.
Also when he's not batman count too, well for me it does.

Having Jenny makes Jimmy superfluous. Shit, I thought Jenny WAS gonna be this universe's Jimmy. You've already got Lois and Martha to "humanize" Clark, why do we need another character whose role has pretty much already been filled in more ways than one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom