• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not brave, Men are brave

Still my favorite cheesy line in the movie.

Oh man, favorite line...

The
"I thought she was with you"
worked better than I thought it would, mostly because I was riding the high from
her reveal
. Does
Granny's Peach Tea
count as a line?

Ashhong

haha, come on now. are you applauding them for trying something different or defending them for going with what works? it's okay to like the movie and critique decisions here guys

Huh? I'm just saying there's a difference between trying to go for a different Lex, and trying to go for a "different villain". You seem to be faulting them for trying to go for a different and quirky villain when I don't think that's what they were doing.

Oh man, favorite line...

The
"I thought she was with you"
worked better than I thought it would, mostly because I was riding the high from
her reveal
. Does
Granny's Peach Tea
count as a line?

That got a lot of laughs in my theater.

I guess my favorite line was said by:
Martha

Bruce: Don't worry I'm a friend of your sons'.
Martha: Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

Oh man, this movie had it's problems but I can't freaking wait to watch it again.

Effect

This Jimmy reaction is such a facepalm moment. His entire purpose has been taken already by several characters. Many of these people don't give a damn about the character but see another way to bash Snyder. They can always pull what Smallville did by introducing a brother with the same name if they find a use for him. Stop people.
Definitely my favorite line too, but what hit me the hardest was,
"This is my world. You are my world"
. The feels.
I really enjoyed this line.

Did any of you get a Sewer Side Skwa trailer in front? I didnt. Its really weird for WB to not advertise their next release

I got a Skwad trailer, yeah. Also Lego Batman. Lego Batman got tons of laughter and even applause, lol. Squad seemed well received too.

Oh, X-Men too. No Civil War, iirc.

About that new international Squad tvspot, btw. Only a tiny tiny bit of new footage, and the music isn't as well synced. Gonna keep rewatching the regular one whenever I need a hit.

Definitely my favorite line too, but what hit me the hardest was,
"This is my world. You are my world"
. The feels.
oh god. even if
i knew what was coming by reading the spoilers, when he started saying that and "this is my world" started playing,
i could not stop crying.

Sometimes I wish my theater had crowds as active as stories I hear. My early screening got loud at choice scenes in BvS, but that crowd was primed for it. Ordinary viewings, even Star Wars TFA opening show, it gets quiet.

I was stuck in line behind the one group with like 10 kids. All I was trying to do was order some nachos 😔. Though, I got back to my seat just in time for the Suicide Squad trailer.

Sometimes I wish my theater had crowds as active as stories I hear. My early screening got loud at choice scenes in BvS, but that crowd was primed for it. Ordinary viewings, even Star Wars TFA opening show, it gets quiet.

My theater was silent all through the movie except for 2 key moments:
Wondy showing up
, which drew gasps, cheering, and applause, and "
I'm a friend of your son
" which pulled the only audible laughter in the movie.

Anth0ny

Can we all agree that Snyder has to go? Even though I liked the film, it could have been better, and there's a clear disconnect between him and general audiences.

Sheesh, the showings for Batman V Superman are sold out until 8:15 p.m. I really did not expect that. I'll be going at that time. Man, even on the day it comes out, I still have to wait!

I'm studying film making in college, and pretty much everyone in those classes was not going to see Batman V Superman. I know of only two other people (besides myself) that were going to see it. These guys are mainly Marvel/star Wars/Anything but DC fans, though.

Corpsepyre

Banned
There's a really interesting criticism of Batman on Collider, and there's this one comment that was notable.

"You said it yourself, "he's a downtrodden, morally bankrupt version of the character set very late in his career after essentially giving up." That's the whole point of the movie. He speaks on this numerous times, Alfred speaks on this, that's one of the underlying themes of the movie. At the end he touches on how he (they) need to rebuild what it means to be a hero. Someone above said it best, that this is the moment that brings back the idealistic, justice driven Batman we all love"

Loxley

Can we all agree that Snyder has to go? Even though I liked the film, it could have been better, and there's a clear disconnect between him and general audiences.

Unless he pulls a miracle out of his ass and Justice League blows everyone's minds, then yeah, I think three chances to get this universe's characters right is plenty.

Rooster12

Can we all agree that Snyder has to go? .

It's a no-brainer at this point.

Since you have Affleck on board, he can direct most of these damn movies.

Even if Affleck doesn't know shit about Superman or Batman, he can still make a story work 10x better than Snyder.

Unless he pulls a miracle out of his ass and Justice League blows everyone's minds, then yeah, I think three chances to get this universe's characters right is plenty.

I feel like JL1 was his last directing film regardless of how this movie was recieved. The whole process must be an ordeal. Even Wheadon got sick of Avengers and everyone loved him for those movies. I think the box office recipes will be the desiding factor on whether WB/DC keeps Snyder on for anything more than JL1, director or otherwise.

I really liked BvS, but Snyder is still the weakest link in this chain. Plus, the public and critical vitriol surrounding him.

I think he should go. He did a better job than most people are giving him credit for, but the movies could be better, and the optics for the franchise would definitely improve.

How many BvS threads have we had now? OT, RT, Spoiler, Review, TFA, Ultimate Cut, Jimmy Olsen, Good Trailer/Bad Movie, Good Trailer Thread.

Can we see what the full BO performance of the movie is before we bring up any disconnects with the general audience?

Impromptu second showing tonight. I'm going with a group I know who is going to dislike it, so in a way, I'm not looking forward to that part of the night.

Simo

Can we all agree that Snyder has to go?.

Nope? I'm a fan of MOS and loved BvS but I'm still riding out that first showing high and curious how repeated viewings are going sway that opinion. Then again I also loved 300 and Watchmen so..

Booked my second viewing for tomorrow night. IMAX 2D, surprised there was even a 2D option!

Okay. The movie board me, which the worst thing a movie can do. The audience also didn't like it because no one cheered or clapped for anything. Clapping and cheering is very common here, Man Of Steel got ton of that, not this movie.

Editing was weird, certain scenes that looked that went together got split up for no reason. Hard cuts everywhere like Nolan's Batman films for no good reason and poorly done

Music was terrible in context in my opinion. Having to many characters that need their own music made it just loud noise, I only liked the beginning Music which we well done.

Too many characters, should've just been Batman and Superman. No Wonder Women, way less of Lex, no cameos. Holly was wasted for a poorly written speech. More Alfred should've happen.

Plot: spoiler just in case even tho I wasn't really spoilery
plot was all over the place, I actually wanted Nolans exposition use, where sometimes overdoes it. This movie needed that. The Superman answering for his crimes was barley the plot, this movie needed to be about the characters, the final should've been the fight between the too, not Doomsday. The fight was okay, but I really just wanted it too end because I frankly didn't care.

Ben was okay, but their was wasted potential.
Henry was there. That's it.
Alfred was my favorite. Which shoots not have been the case.
Didn't care or Wonder Women because I found she really didn't belong in this movie.

Man of Steel was a solid 7/10 for me, a bad script but well directed.
This is a 3/10 bad script, editing, direction, decent cinematography, and somewhat good acting.

Boke1879

I really liked BvS, but Snyder is still the weakest link in this chain. Plus, the public and critical vitriol surrounding him.

I think he should go. He did a better job than most people are giving him credit for, but the movies could be better, and the optics for the franchise would definitely improve.

Critical vitriol yes. For general audiences it's definitely divisive right now. But I'm willing to wait to see how it does in its second week. That said this movie has plenty of people who like it, love it and hate it. Right now you have too much hyperbole surrounding the negatives. While I won't dismiss their criticism some of the shit said in those reviews were designed to get site hits.

I do agre with your last point. Snyder will be on JL because it would be stupid to take him off now. WB should have him on a shorter leash though. After that he should go. He's clearly tired and no one should have to put up with the comments about his personal life that in sure he's seen. He should take and oversight role.

a916

There's a really interesting criticism of Batman on Collider, and there's this one comment that was notable.

"You said it yourself, "he's a downtrodden, morally bankrupt version of the character set very late in his career after essentially giving up." That's the whole point of the movie. He speaks on this numerous times, Alfred speaks on this, that's one of the underlying themes of the movie. At the end he touches on how he (they) need to rebuild what it means to be a hero. Someone above said it best, that this is the moment that brings back the idealistic, justice driven Batman we all love"

Yup. I forget the exact quote but it was something along the lines of
"I'll honor you in death"

I love his vision, and I want him to stay on for the direction and visuals, but the story telling, needs to be in better hands. Like a co-director maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom