• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokero

Wonder Woman's theme was the hypest shit ever. That was my favorite track from the OST and only solidified itself during her entrance.
even before the entrance when
Batman sees the old photo of her and the theme kicks in the theater went nuts

IconGrist

even before the entrance when
Batman sees the old photo of her and the theme kicks in the theater went nuts

Yea that was great. I wish people in my area weren't basically zombies, lol.

But that reveal
of her face and the music kicking in was just amazing.

IconGrist

I'm pretty sure Junkie XL has that/did her theme.

Pretty sure Junkie only did the Batman theme. Zimmer brought him in by request because he didn't want to have to make a new theme from the one he did in the Nolan trilogy. Zimmer is responsible for all JL member themes outside of that.

Pretty sure Junkie only did the Batman theme. Zimmer brought him in by request because he didn't want to have to make a new theme from the one he did in the Nolan trilogy. Zimmer is responsible for all JL member themes outside of that.

I can't possibly fathom Zimmer dropping that buttrock in for WW, that's hilarious though

Yeah, I think WW is gonna have a much more conventional soundtrack. More operatic, fewer drums and guitars. Because, you know, it's a WW1 piece. So there's that. They might take notes from her BvS theme, but that's about it.

my god the feels during the
"why did you say martha?"
scene. the music, the acting by affleck. best moment by far for me

I'd really prefer to not imagine the dialogue that Snyder and Goyer came up with originally

yeah, the moment to moment dialogue in BvS is a masterclass compared to man of steel

Ahasverus

Yeah, I think WW is gonna have a much more conventional soundtrack. More operatic, fewer drums and guitars. Because, you know, it's a WW1 piece. So there's that. They might take notes from her BvS theme, but that's about it.
Of course. I expect a horns and drums version of it, maybe with a sweeter tone.

Boke1879

Just got out my second viewing. Loved it just as much. The crowd loved it too. After the movie you could hear people talking. Especially about the Knightmare scene and what it could mean going forward

rokero

I'd really prefer to not imagine the dialogue that Snyder and Goyer came up with originally

this is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to JLA, it's gonna be written only by Terio and now that much of the world building and exposition it's out of the way I hope Snyder can do a much better job directing it

duckroll

More like save tbh.

He will give the writers of DCEU an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind him, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join him in the sun. In time, he will help them accomplish wonders.

JUSTICE LEAGUE 2017 - BELIEVE

PBY

Banned
He will give the writers of DCEU an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind him, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join him in the sun. In time, he will help them accomplish wonders.

JUSTICE LEAGUE 2017 - BELIEVE
Did you see it?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
WW getting a lot praise, might actually save the DCEU. That would be kind of cool, after years of getting overshadowed by Superman and Batman.

IconGrist

Yea I definitely liked the movie better on my second viewing having thought about it. It was easier to spot where certain plot threads began and their references later on or where they come to a head became more impactful. Some character moments hit harder. Namely one in particular with Lois. The theme of actions have consequences was way more apparent.

Couple of other things became worse though.

nuking Superman and Doomsday. What the hell was the reason for that? Supes was taking care of him in the one place where no harm would come to anyone. And it was great too because that directly addressed complaints from MoS. But noooooooope. All for a stupid TDKR moment. I really hate that goddamn book.

https://twitter.com/remisahn/status/713541072098574337
GIF-Amused-Chuckle-Chuffed-Pleased-Point-Point-and-laugh-GIF.gif

witness

anyone else bummed at the ending with Clark dying, seems like away to write yourself in a corner.

My theory:
When he is resurrected he will be different, or at least look at the world differently. Look at Batmans evolution by the end of the movie for example but take Superman even further. I don't think they will go full Donner Superman on us, but he will be much more inligned with that ideal. The Jesus analogies will be off the charts obviously since they love to keep mentioning that in the past two movies. Very curious to see how long they keep him out of JL. I think it would be much more effective if we only see him near the end, kind of like Luke in Episode 7. Very excited for the possibilities.

Raptor

Just got out, I absolutly loved it.

Will go and see it again in a few days.

Wife and daughter loved it too.

God damn i love superman so much.

So, from the recent Deadline update, there's a block on the audience reaction for the film:

ComScore PostTrak audience have inched up their thumbs up for the movie from 71% last night to 73% grading it either very good or excellent. Definite recommend rate to friends remains at a solid 60%. Looking at the family responses — it’s pretty damn good. Parents give BvS a very good/excellent score of 79% while kids under 12 grade it at 87%. Seventy-nine percent of all parents are spreading good wom to their friends about Snyder’s movie while 75% of all the kids that saw are going to tell their friends immediately to go see it.

I would just like to apologize beforehand. If you read the following review, and feel that my critique is in anyway cheapened by what you consider hyperbole, then the only explanation that I can give is that I am a very passionate individual, and this is just the way I express myself.

THAT

BEING

SAID

There's a Maya Angelou quote that I would like to bring up. "Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean."

That's what I hope to do today NeoGaf. To use this public forum as an outlet for my anger. In doing so, I hope to cleanse myself of all this, to regain some measure of power over this unpleasant experience. The biggest regret I have in all this? That I am not a good enough writer to give everything I have to say the voice it deserves.

FUCK THIS MOVIE

What an absolute fucking disaster of a film. What an infuriating assault on both the sense and the senses and sensibility in general. Zack Snyder was handed the fire of creation, and has chosen to use it to burn the wheat fields down. I hesitate to call this a train wreck, because that implies there was some moment in time when this disaster was on the proverbial "right track". I'm not sure if I will even write a version of this review that includes spoilers, because I don't think I can be bothered to write a scene by scene break-down of this ENTIRE FUCKING MOVIE.
This isn't a film. This is Zack Snyder and company taking "The Dark Knight Rises" and another story that would be too spoiler-filled to name, stripping them of the context that made them important, slathered them in ultra-macho bullshit, and created some sort of unholy Frankenstein's monster that has captured me and is ordering me to help it reproduce, to justify its existence. And like Victor Frankenstein himself, I am horrified at the implications that may bring.

But you've heard enough of my opinions right? How about a film breakdown? That's what you want right?

This movie is a mess, it seems to want to rebel against the very notion of an establishing shot. We are dropped into scene after scene after scene after scene, with the flimsiest of narrative tissue to connect them. Scenes are scattered next to each other with no rhyme or reason. Each individual scene devolves into a very specific plot point, a sequence of audio-visual data, unrelated to the one before it, but without the strength to carry it on its own. The film cuts to black so often it feels like the work of an absolute rank amateur. And the dream sequences you may have heard about? They are illogical, intrusive, and laughable in their self-seriousness. Character agency? Drama? What's that? Why include those when you can hand wave everything with pure coincidence? I will not suffer any criticism of superhero film world-building without using this as rock bottom. If these are what passes as "easter eggs", then they are rotten to the core, and they are being flung straight at my face. It's so afraid to let a scene breath that it has to flash to an earlier scene to emphasize the point like an episode of CSI.

I don't know who to blame for this script. No one has an actual, believable conversation. All they do is spout big important ideas that I'm sure the screenwriter felt very proud in including. If Nolan's Batman films approached the genre with the depth of a lake, this film is as shallow as a murky puddle.

Let's get into our characters shall we? This film doesn't have the fucking time to flesh ANYONE out. First there's Batman, played by Ben Affleck. You may have heard praise for his portrayal of Batman and you know what? It was serviceable. Perfectly Fine. A handsome face to put in the cowl and nothing more. You know what is terrible about Affleck's Batman? That he is the vehicle for all of the films idiotic overuse of dream sequences. Have you felt worried about any rumors that Batman kills in this movie? He does, and the film treats that as something that is super awesome. He's not intelligent in the slightest, Alfred picks up most of the slack Jeremy Iron's Alfred? A decent job, even if his main job is delivering almost obligatory quotes from "The Dark Knight Returns".

Henry Cavill's Superman? Somehow even worse than his last outing. It's kind of ironic that his turn as Superman evokes the same feeling of the Golem of Jewish folklore, because he is a fucking BORE. If Man of Steel was a Superman film deathly afraid of showing Superman not fighting, then this movie is petrified of showing Superman doing ANYTHING competent, in the fear that the audience will see him as all powerful and untouchable. As such, Cavill's turn as Superman includes him looking pensive all of the time, eyebrows furrowed, and then occasionally looking to the left (or his right, whatever.)

Before I get to Wonder Woman, I just want to include this weird hyper-macho attitude that this film has. Hey ladies? Excited to see Wonder Woman? This film is the equivalent of that guy at the gym, who is all too happy to let you work in only to do bicep curls in front of you, darting his eyes occasionally to make sure you're watching. Every time Affleck does something Bruce Wayne related, it is with the caveat that he must be drowning in pussy. He knows Russian because (according to him), he fucked a Russian ballerina. After one of Bruce's most nonsensical of dream sequences, he wakes up with a naked woman next to him, who never wakes up. The rest of the supporting female cast is really just there to be taken hostage. Get Lois Lane in the Justice League, because apparently she has the power of teleportation and omnipresence.

Gadot's Wonder Woman is literally Anne Hathaway's Catwoman redux. A shoehorned Justice League tie-in with an obnoxious electric guitar soundtrack. All of her scenes could have and should have been excised completely.

Eisenberg's Luthor was not a performance. It was a series of mannerisms. The perfect foil to Superman has been reduced to wild gesticulations and squeaks. He's barely even a character, just a plot device. And in all the stupid bullshit included in this movie.

The action scenes? There are four. One is a Batmobile chase, composed almost entirely of CGI and lacking any of the narrative flourish of Nolan's tumbler segments. The titular fight? A nuisance to the film, just another scene. Instead of the culmination of two ideologies clashing together it has instead been reduced to a nonsensical gambit by Lex. It's maybe 8 minutes max of Batman doing slow martial arts moves to a kryptonite weakened Superman, who's only moments of strength have him acting like a roaring gorilla. And the climax is every bit as insipid and stupid as you might have heard. A throwaway piece of trivia blown into laughably operatic over importance. The Batman fight is fine, but it looks cool for the sake of being cool. It is stuffed into the narrative at the worst time. And the final fight against Doomsday? An excuse for Snyder to have his cake and eat it too, having large scale destruction with only the most obligatory mention that there are no civilians, to excuse the fact that we are watching rubber CGI models get punched back, fly back towards Doomsday, then get punched back. AT the end, no one in the theater cheered. They were shuffling in their seats, waiting to get out.

Fuck this movie. I despised every single second of it. I have never felt more powerless watching a movie then I was when this movie teased the Justice League. It felt like it was taunting me over the fact that it held the future of these characters. If you have any reservations about this film, then I assure there is no reason to see it anytime soon. Or do, I don't know you, do what you want with your money. I hated this movie. Every second of it.

TLDR: I didn't care for it.

One last thing.

This shot?

tumblr_nyrq6awSgg1sxwyufo2_500.gif

Fuck you. You didn't earn it.

shingi70

Banned
Just got out, I absolutly loved it.

Will go and see it again in a few days.

Wife and daughter loved it too.

God damn i love superman so much.
Love Superman, but I felt he never really got his moment in the Sun like when he's fighting the world engine in Man of Steel. I wish he wasn't killed at the end and was the focal point of the Justice League forming.

IconGrist

I would just like to apologize beforehand. If you read the following review, and feel that my critique is in anyway cheapened by what you consider hyperbole, then the only explanation that I can give is that I am a very passionate individual, and this is just the way I express myself.

THAT

BEING

SAID

Are you going to post this in every BvS thread? I've seen it 3 times now. We get it. You hated it.

Correction. 4 times. Just saw it in the OT as well.

rokero

Love Superman, but I felt he never really got his moment in the Sun like when he's fighting the world engine in Man of Steel. I wish he wasn't killed at the end and was the focal point of the Justice League forming.

It's a tactic they use all the time sideline the most powerful character and bring him back to change the tide

my god the feels during the
"why did you say martha?"
scene. the music, the acting by affleck. best moment by far for me

People who hate the movie make fun of the scene by describing it as
Batman and Superman's mothers have the same name, so they become friends.
Of course.

Are you going to post this in every BvS thread? I've seen it 3 times now. We get it. You hated it.

It's a review of the film, I merely included it in all of the appropriate threads, excluding the box-office one and the two about Zack Snyder as a director.

Is there something about my review that prevents it from being in the same threads as everyone else's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom