• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

But the review doesn't really incite much conversation. At least not any level-headed one.

To be clear, I'm not saying he shouldn't have posted it in here. It's perfectly fine for him to do so. Just saying you can't expect some people to lash out at annoyance as well.

Yeah, he is MORE than welcome to post the review here and on other threads. People are allowed to be negative about the movie. BUT, it's easy to understand why people look at his review unfavorably. It comes across as very pompous in the way it's presented and written, and it's extremely negative. A recipe for criticism from a thread with a bunch of DC fans.

But, again, he should feel welcome to post his thoughts.

IconGrist

It's not a rule, but it just kind of sucks because every single DC thread on this forum right now is littered with pure hatred for the film and Snyder. This is kind of the only thread that is safe from that. Plus the review wasn't exactly level headed and asking for conversation. It was merely a drive-by review just for the sake of it.

Except he didn't drive by, he stuck around.

C'mon, y'all better than this.

I don't care that it was negative. My point was that 90% of each "appropriate" BvS thread houses all the same people. He's now subjected a lot of people to a super long post with his picture (for whatever reason) to the same post multiple times. And as I said before, unless plenty of other examples can be provided, he has posted it more times than anyone else has cross posted theirs.

Him sticking around doesn't really help that point. Does he need to have a conversation about his review in that many threads? By his own admission it was hyperbolic in nature which likely will throw off a lot of civil discussion about that review or welcome similar hyperbolic replies (on either end of the spectrum).

But the review doesn't really incite much conversation. At least not any level-headed one.

To be clear, I'm not saying he shouldn't have posted it in here. It's perfectly fine for him to do so. Just saying you can't expect some people to lash out at annoyance as well.

I think there's stuff to discuss in there. Man felt passionate, but you can address the points he made.

You're good people, Poodlestrike

Thanks bro :D

I am perfectly fine with discussing this film. I expect to be doing for a long time anyway and I relish the chance to do so. It's not like I'll be able to enter anywhere near the same amount of discourse anywhere other than a public forum like this.

So, here's a point to discuss: I think this is a smarter Batman than we've seen in... maybe ever. Alfred maintains his gadgets, but he's the one developing on the
kryptonite weapons
, a far cry from Baleman's outsourcing.

Plus,
Batman spent most of the movie being, effectively, manipulated by Lex
, yeah? But does that automatically mean that the detective work he does is invalid? I mean, he does do some, clearly, that's how he finds out about
The White Portugese
in the first place, before the movie started.

You could argue that it does, that the fact that
it's all a setup by Lex
makes it moot, but clearly
he put a lot of work into making it a challenge
. That's why
Bruce doesn't tip on to the fact that he's being strung along
, because he really does have to work at it, and his usual methods aren't bearing fruit. A large part of being the World's Greatest Detective in the comics is beating up thugs too :p

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Wow just noticed it got a B on cinemascore.

Movie is going to have an epic dropoff on 2nd weekend. No way it reaches 1 billion. Goodbye Snyder.

IconGrist

Wow just noticed it got a B on cinemascore.

Movie is going to have an epic dropoff on 2nd weekend. No way it reaches 1 billion. Goodbye Snyder.

Because of a B? MoS got an A-. Is there some statistical data that correlates with that theory? I'm just curious.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Because of a B? MoS got an A-. Is there some statistical data that correlates with that theory? I'm just curious.
Cinemascore is horribly inflated, most superhero films get an A- no matter how mediocre they are. A B is a really low cinemascore rating, WOM is gonna be terrible. It'll do 800m WW. For a movie that was basically proto-JL, it's pretty terrible.

So, here's a point to discuss: I think this is a smarter Batman than we've seen in... maybe ever. Alfred maintains his gadgets, but he's the one developing on the
kryptonite weapons
, a far cry from Baleman's outsourcing.

Plus,
Batman spent most of the movie being, effectively, manipulated by Lex
, yeah? But does that automatically mean that the detective work he does is invalid? I mean, he does do some, clearly, that's how he finds out about
The White Portugese
in the first place, before the movie started.

You could argue that it does, that the fact that
it's all a setup by Lex
makes it moot, but clearly
he put a lot of work into making it a challenge
. That's why
Bruce doesn't tip on to the fact that he's being strung along
, because he really does have to work at it, and his usual methods aren't bearing fruit. A large part of being the World's Greatest Detective in the comics is beating up thugs too :p

The thing about Batman as a detective, at least in film, is that it is always going to be shortchanged because a film can't afford to take the time. Hilariously, SCHUMACHER was the one to really include a large emphasis on Batman's intelligence. In this film Batman creates the weapons yes, but that's given just a short montage. He synthesizes into gas and for some reason a large impractical spear but that's not really clever is it? Just a way for the film to get from point A to Point B. That's as far as the film goes with Batman's intelligence, just rudimentary plot progression.

The thing about Batman as a detective, at least in film, is that it is always going to be shortchanged because a film can't afford to take the time. Hilariously, SCHUMACHER is the only one to really include a large emphasis on Batman's intelligence. In this film Batman creates the weapons yes, but that's given just a short montage. He synthesizes into gas and for some reason a large impractical spear but that's not really clever is it? Just a way for the film to get from point A to Point B. That's as far as the film goes with Batman's intelligence, just rudimentary plot progression.

That's true of a lot of it, though. The pacing problems it has that prevent it from dwelling on, well, anything, for any length of time. It shortchanges him, as it shortchanged Lex, the senator, really everybody other than Lois for for some reason got the time she needed but did really dumb stuff with it. Bruce did a lot more detective work than he usually does in film, or at least has done lately; I think that the "brute" criticisms are definitely misplaced.

The thing about Batman as a detective, at least in film, is that it is always going to be shortchanged because a film can't afford to take the time. Hilariously, SCHUMACHER was the one to really include a large emphasis on Batman's intelligence. In this film Batman creates the weapons yes, but that's given just a short montage. He synthesizes into gas and for some reason a large impractical spear but that's not really clever is it? Just a way for the film to get from point A to Point B. That's as far as the film goes with Batman's intelligence, just rudimentary plot progression.

Should've gone with sniper bullets. He has no qualms killing. Put a bullet in Supes head.

IconGrist

The thing about Batman as a detective, at least in film, is that it is always going to be shortchanged because a film can't afford to take the time. Hilariously, SCHUMACHER is the only one to really include a large emphasis on Batman's intelligence. In this film Batman creates the weapons yes, but that's given just a short montage. He synthesizes into gas and for some reason a large impractical spear but that's not really clever is it? Just a way for the film to get from point A to Point B. That's as far as the film goes with Batman's intelligence, just rudimentary plot progression.

I think this is a little harsh. The only reason anything ever happens in any movie is just to get from Point A to Point B. Even Schumacer's depiction was guilty of this. I would say, at best, the only movies that can't really be viewed that way are "based on a true story" movies that stick heavily to the actual events as they occurred.

That's true of a lot of it, though. The pacing problems it has that prevent it from dwelling on, well, anything, for any length of time. It shortchanges him, as it shortchanged Lex, the senator, really everybody other than Lois for for some reason got the time she needed but did really dumb stuff with it. Bruce did a lot more detective work than he usually does in film, or at least has done lately; I think that the "brute" criticisms are definitely misplaced.

And that's a major issue I have with the film, kills the whole thing for me really. But in Batman's case once he has the information on where to go, he just goes at it like a battering ram. It's lucky his cowl is incredibly bulletproof, because the warehouse assault was otherwise just complete brute-force after the gun disabling.

That scene where he whispers fighting techniques in the combatant's ear, does the guy do anything special? Not that we see. It's like a narrative shorthand. A character trait without having to put much work in.

And that's a major issue I have with the film, kills the whole thing for me really. But in Batman's case once he has the information on where to go, he just goes at it like a battering ram. It's lucky his cowl is incredibly bulletproof, because the warehouse assault was otherwise just complete brute-force after the gun disabling.
They were totally inspired by the Arkham games more than the comics for that sequence. It was basically a freeflow challenge room.

Saw it a second time, still liked it. The ending goes on for too long the second time around. The group of friends I assumed would tear it apart actually ended up liking it, I was pleasantly surprised. Of course, they had issues, but all of them didn't understand why it got such terrible reviews.

PBY

Banned
Saw it a second time, still liked it. The ending goes on for too long the second time around. The group of friends I assumed would tear it apart actually ended up liking it, I was pleasantly surprised. Of course, they had issues, but all of them didn't understand why it got such terrible reviews.
The last fight + ending is a jumbled mess and Snyder is actually better than that.

The last fight + ending is a jumbled mess and Snyder is actually better than that.

I can agree with this. Cool moments are ruined by being a jumbled mess. And the fact that
Doomsday's real shtick is absorbing energy and releasing it like a C-Tier Dragon Ball Z character
was stupid.

That scene where he whispers fighting techniques in the combatant's ear, does the guy do anything special? Not that we see. It's like a narrative shorthand. A character trait without having to put much work in.

Well, I'm not going to say that this version of Batman is a subtle man :p

But that's not what I meant by brute. He's intelligent, he's just got a very... shortest distance between two points approach.

I still say the ending works better if you think of Doomsday as more of a disaster movie villain than an action movie one.

I actually hated the ending.

Felt it would've worked way later in the series, well some parts.

Also I'm in the minority, but the actions scenes were uninteresting to me, I didn't care about them at all and that what I was looking forward too.

I don't think I'm gonna watch it again like I planned.

3N16MA

Banned
Cinemascore is horribly inflated, most superhero films get an A- no matter how mediocre they are. A B is a really low cinemascore rating, WOM is gonna be terrible. It'll do 800m WW. For a movie that was basically proto-JL, it's pretty terrible.

Even at a 165 OW and a multiplier of 2.26 (MoS legs) you're looking at 372M DOM. That leaves 428M OS to hit 800M WW. That is a 13.5% increase above MoS or 51M. China is looking to double its gross from MoS (possibly 60M more). At 372M DOM, you're looking at BvS having a smaller total of the WW gross coming from OS than MoS. That is goes in the face of BO trends as OS is grabbing more and more of the final WW gross.

Transformers has benefited from the OS market despite horrid reviews. The last two PoTC films have done great numbers OS despite falling domestic numbers and bad reviews.

The next few weeks will be interesting.

Weirdly, the hypest part of that fight for me has to be
when that guy tried to put two in his dome. He just shrugs it off and keeps going, that was NUTS.

Weirdly, the hypest part of that fight for me has to be
when that guy tried to put two in his dome. He just shrugs it off and keeps going, that was NUTS.

BROTHER. That shit was FIRE. Batman was tearing it up. I have no words to express how much I love this new Batman. Absolutely fucking brutal, ruthless, and relentless. Ain't no stopping him. Motherfucker gives zero shits.

BROTHER. That shit was FIRE. Batman was tearing it up. I have no words to express how much I love this new Batman. Absolutely fucking brutal, ruthless, and relentless. Ain't no stopping him. Motherfucker gives zero shits.

I don't know that I'd got that far :p

I'm hoping they tone him down a little in the future, make him more collateral damage conscious. And they've already got an excuse ready in the wings, he's trying to reform now.

But damn, for that fight, it really worked.

I don't know that I'd got that far :p

I'm hoping they tone him down a little in the future, make him more collateral damage conscious. And they've already got an excuse ready in the wings, he's trying to reform now.

But damn, for that fight, it really worked.

Nah, man. That was one of my favorite parts of this mess of a film. You can't take that away.

Well, just speaking for myself,
it's a card they played far too early in this universe. How can any film, ESPECIALLY a prospective superman sequel, top this?

Well, it all depends.
I think a MoS sequel with Brainiac would be interesting. It may be a bit cheap, but having Kandor play a part, with Superman not technically being the last Kryptonian could be a nice emotional storyline. Just keep Snyder as far as fucking possible.

Nah, man. That was one of my favorite parts of this mess of a film. You can't take that away.

idk, he can stay brutal, just make it so he's not about
to kill a dude.
Unhinged, anger management issues Batman is pretty awesome.

it's a card they played far too early in this universe. How can any film, ESPECIALLY a prospective superman sequel, top this?

i think it's pretty clear the JL part 1 will cover
superman's resurrection. i mean, they basically telegraphed what will happen. they are going to use the goop in the ship

3N16MA

Banned

It also holds less weight after seeing Supes getting nuked and everyone thinking he was dead. 25 minutes later he is "dead" yet again. I see no reason why he just couldn't have taken an ass whooping and finally prevail. They went with the death story line pretty fast

It also holds less weight after seeing Supes getting nuked and everyone thinking he was dead. 25 minutes later he is "dead" yet again. I see no reason why he just couldn't have taken an ass whooping and finally prevail. They went with the death story line pretty fast

I hated that. No bearing on the plot other than to sideline Superman for the sum total of maybe 5 minutes, just so they can

A) Recreate The Dark Knight Returns scene
B) Recreate the DC Online opening

It's definitely early, but whether or not it's wasted or a misstep is too soon to tell. Kinda depends on what they do with it over the next few movies in the 'verse.

The best part of that Batman fight was for sure the bit
where he took on 4 guys at once. Batman def hit the Y button during that scene.

And as far as I can tell it avoided the issue of stuntmen waiting for their turn to get in their hit/get hit. As much as I liked
the Knightmare sequence (seriously I love it, I think you heard) it did suffer a bit from the "wait your turn" thing, and it was kinda funny to see a bunch of goons refuse to shoot Batman and instead engage him in CQC with their rifles lol. I guess Clark wanted him alive tho.
I likely won't be seeing the movie until Monday or Tuesday :/
Sucks extra hard breh. I saw this at the fan screenings on Monau and the wait was still driving me up the wall. Can only imagine a die-hard having to wait till the next week.

Anybody who hasn't seen the film, we're spoiling big things under the black bars. A warning.

Here's how I thought the scene was about to go down. Superman has the spear, ready to sacrifice himself, only for Wonder Woman to save him from that decision. Show the value in Superman having allies. We saw how fighting on his own almost killed him. Maybe Batman comes out of hiding and concocts an alternative strategy for Supes and WW. If you wanted to get hokey, throw in a this is our world line.

Atomic Odin

I just about lost it when he
was flinging boxes and shit with the grapnel gun
. Shit was fire.

And dragging fools towards him with it.
I used to do that a lot in the arkham games

The way he approached that goon after
he had a stuck a knife in Bats, and he returned the favour
now that was intense.

You have a point about
it being happening a little too early. The only problem I could have with it is if he doesn't return early and JL forms before it...Well it's just that I have never seen JL forming without Superman and it will be very weird if it were to happen

As for future stuff
Brainiac would be my choice. I won't be disappointed at all if it was him instead of Darkseid in JL

Raptor

The more time pass and the less i líked it lol, is líke the hype is abandon me little by little and now my mind is starting to see it crearly, im trying to reconstruct the movie in my head and it all comes as a fucking mess. :(

Need to think about it more and sleep on it.

Its not better than MoS thats for damn sure IMO.

The more time pass and the less i líked it lol, is líke the hype is abandon me little by little and now my mind is starting to see it crearly, im trying to reconstruct the movie in my head and it all comes as a fucking mess. :(

That's just the antihype getting to yah.

Anyway, this is definitely going to replace MoS in GAF hierarchy.
oznKLhb.jpg
lol

Atomic Odin

Need to go see it a second time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom