• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor

That's just the antihype getting to yah.

Anyway, this is definitely going to replace MoS in GAF hierarchy.

lol
I mean i still love the movie but there are things that i thought were or rushed or just bad. It does bother me a little.

I dont know maybe i just need to see it again, im also pissed at the quality of the theater, movie looked washed out as fuck and blurry.

I mean i still love the movie but there are things that i thought were or rushed or just bad. It does bother me a little.

I dont know maybe i just need to see it again, im also pissed at the quality of the theater, movie looked washed out as fuck and blurry.

Enjoyed the heck out of it as well, but it both felt like it could have used more time to expand some things and cut some things out.

IconGrist

Every movie kinda irritates me at some point. There are some parts of Man of Steel I can not fucking stand now ("I will find him!" -repeat x8 for no reason and really give it your all on the last one-). I can't get over that Cap is talking to himself in Avengers because he clearly has no mic of any kind. Whenever Superman screams "I'm still Superman!" in Returns I always say out loud "No you're nooooot". And for some reason Drax not hitting EVEN ONE BATISTA BOMB just upsets me so much.

It's a thing. It happens. Don't dwell on it.

Every movie kinda irritates me at some point. There are some parts of Man of Steel I can not fucking stand now ("I will find him!" -repeat x8 for no reason and really give it your all on the last one-). I can't get over that Cap is talking to himself in Avengers because he clearly has no mic of any kind. Whenever Superman screams "I'm still Superman!" in Returns I always say out loud "No you're nooooot". And for some reason Drax not hitting EVEN ONE BATISTA BOMB just upsets me so much.

It's a thing. It happens. Don't dwell on it.

"So you came back to die with your city?"

"No, I came back to stop you"

5ojUq4T.gif

3N16MA

Banned
Looking like a 80-85M opening day. Could put this anywhere from 160-170M OW. If the weekend legs are good it could go higher or lower if it drops off a cliff.

IconGrist

Hey so for everyone here who has seen it we are all in agreement who came out on top by the end of the movie, right?

It was Luthor. He was the only one who accomplished his goal. The bad guy won.

Both of my friends enjoyed the film and they're both excited for Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad now (I mean they were always excited for the latter but still).

Theatre was packed and we had to sit in the front <.<

Oh and forgot to mention that my enjoyment of the movie didn't lessen at all on a second watch. I didn't find the scene transitions nearly as jarring (sans Knightmare) and didn't even mind the JL cameos this time around.

a916

Watched it again and I loved it... don't love Eisenburg don't hate him either. The way they
married Dark Knight Returns with Death of Superman was so good. Especially Clark's motivation to fight, he wasn't fighting and that's the brilliance. He was trying to defend himself but never fighting to win because his mom was his concern.

It's the reverse 10 Cloverfield Lane, audience hated the film and critics loved it. The hyperbole surrounding the movie might end up being beneficial to it like Poodlestrike says.

I wonder if it's like The Witch then

duckroll

I liked it. It was very... flawed. But ambitious, entertaining, and bleak. It was also filled with excess. Will post more in the OT when I'm home.

posted this in the RT thread. will discuss more in the spoiler thread later:

Yeah so..I saw this. I don't want to hear anybody say "wow they made a movie with a talking raccoon" or "wow R-rated superhero movie" as some major risk ever again. THIS movie, what the hell. How in the hell did they make this movie, with their two biggest characters (well 3 biggest I suppose) nonetheless. This is such an obvious hard sell to general audiences and especially kids.

It's not as bad as the reviews make it out but it ain't good either. It has that problem I've had with a few movies of this ilk lately. Particularly Age of Ultron, Ant Man and Man of Steel where I kind of stopped giving a shit about the story and just wanted to get to the final battle already. And when that happened I kind of didn't really care and wanted it all to end already.

But having said that the first 20 minutes are brilliant. Like top-tier comic book movie filmmaking there. I was impressed and had the pacing not turned to garbage after and some great ideas (and bad ideas) not been squandered this would be the best superhero movie since Spiderman 2.

Instead it's a 5/10 at best, and I'm just giving it that rating for the strength of the first 20 minutes and also Ben Affleck/Irons who are fantastic.

and P.S. FUCK LEX

IconGrist

posted this in the RT thread. will discuss more in the spoiler thread later:

Yeah so..I saw this. I don't want to hear anybody say "wow they made a movie with a talking raccoon" or "wow R-rated superhero movie" as some major risk ever again. THIS movie, what the hell. How in the hell did they make this movie, with their two biggest characters (well 3 biggest I suppose) nonetheless. This is such an obvious hard sell to general audiences and especially kids.

It's not as bad as the reviews make it out but it ain't good either. It has that problem I've had with a few movies of this ilk lately. Particularly Age of Ultron, Ant Man and Man of Steel where I kind of stopped giving a shit about the story and just wanted to get to the final battle already. And when that happened I kind of didn't really care and wanted it all to end already.

But having said that the first 20 minutes are brilliant. Like top-tier comic book movie filmmaking there. I was impressed and had the pacing not turned to garbage after and some great ideas (and bad ideas) not been squandered this would be the best superhero movie since Spiderman 2.

Instead it's a 5/10 at best, and I'm just giving it that rating for the strength of the first 20 minutes and also Ben Affleck/Irons who are fantastic.

and P.S. FUCK LEX

One of things I will defend to the death is like the first 20 minutes of the movie. That was some of the best stuff ever included in a comic book movie. That was easily Snyder's best work. Ever. I don't know what happened after that. Maybe by that point he was exhausted and just wasn't in it 100% but, yea, that first section of the movie was fucking phenomenal.

One of things I will defend to the death is like the first 20 minutes of the movie. That was some of the best stuff ever included in a comic book movie. That was easily Snyder's best work. Ever. I don't know what happened after that. Maybe by that point he was exhausted and just wasn't in it 100% but, yea, that first section of the movie was fucking phenomenal.

the bruce origin was beautiful and also this is something i've been harping on for a while but

it's absolutely terrifying seeing that metropolis attack from bruce's perspective. no other movie has shown these heroes as what they really are, gods/titans on earth. even something as simple as superman flying into africa to save lois looks scary as shit. thor really missed this opportunity especially. especially when there's a norse mythology on earth that considers him an actual god. and yet it's never touched upon in his movies.

this handles heroes a bit too realistically tbh. superman is treated like a religious figure, as he would be. and is villified by the media that fears him, as they would.

a916

Also that Jimmy Olson stuff... just came back from second viewing and...

Really? That's not Jimmy's persona at all. Why would he not tell Lois he's working with the CIA and that he USED Lois credentials to get himself there without her knowing. That's not Jimmy... so to me, I don't get ANY of the outrage over killing that character, they have a Jimmy and her name is Jenny. They were wise to not really acknowledge him as Jimmy.

The opening credits alone, the music, the cinematography... just wow. Just wow...

I saw it last night and decided to sleep on it before writing any detailed impressions.

After the credits rolled, I expected to have an immediate reaction, something tangible and coherent, like bitter disappointment following MoS, or utter boredom after AoU. This time, I couldn't feel anything. I couldn't process what I had seen with all the conflicting thoughts and feelings.

Most of all, I couldn't come away to say, "Gaf, forget the reviews - this film is amazing." Nor could I actually tell others that it is a 'good' film, or bad film. But I knew that I felt exhausted - no film should be 2 and a half hours long, that's for certain.

Man of Steel had poor acting, poor character development, poor writing and poor editing (flash backs slowed the pace down). But it did at least feel like you were watching a coherent storyline unravel with each of the main characters having a defined role within that narrative. BvS has better writing and better acting overall, but it does not give the impression of a coherent narrative.

• We have Bruce Wayne and his storyline of growing weary and cruel,
  • We have Bruce Wayne apparently wanting to kill Superman, a character the audience sympathise with
  • We have Superman/Clark's antagonism towards Batman
  • We have the debate surrounding Superman's continued existence.
  • We have Lex
  • And we have Diana's pursuit of Lex - a pursuit portrayed in evening dresses

And each of these, with the exception of Diana's story, are given almost equal focus even though they have very little to do with each other. That's my biggest criticism; the film lacks an identity or consistency until the very last Act when the Trinity actually join together, when Batman ceases his poorly defined, and really uncomfortable hatred for Superman.

So what does it do well?

This is the difficult part. Although those story lines felt poorly connected, separately, they were brilliant. I cannot tell you what scenes should have been removed or characters who deserved less screen time. Snyder responded to the criticism of the first film of having undeveloped characters by giving us a wonderful introduction to Bruce (omg, that opening sequence), by adding genuine depth to Superman's character (he was willing to kill for his mother - "no one stays good in this world").

When people talk about wanting Snyder gone, I try to imagine this film without that opening sequence, with the gorgeous lightening, without the countless cinematic shots and brilliant car chase, without that astonishing imagery of Batman fighting. There is no one that could have matched the visual character of this movie, and I think from that point of view, Snyder is absolutely the right person.

Where Snyder does need to be criticised for, however, is this: Jesse Einsenberg; the single most problematic component of this film. Firstly, I can appreciate the idea behind this interpretation of Lex, but he is often far too similar to the animated Joker. His giggling, his constant talking to himself, and the never-ending awkwardness is neither unnerving or threatening, but annoying enough that he punctures the pace and tone of the film whenever there is a scene with him. His constant allegories to Gods and devils reinforce the perception that he is a one dimensional character. Of all the things that I can be clear about in this film, is that Jesse Eisenberg was not the right choice. That much is obvious to me.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
How about Batfleck and Snyder co-directing JL? Affleck's movies are tight, scenes flow into each other naturally and the pacing is good. He is a good storyteller. Snyder can do the action/visual stuff.

But then again you would keep the not my Superman/Batman crowd so there is that.

How about Batfleck and Snyder co-directing JL? Affleck's movies are tight, scenes flow into each other naturally and the pacing is good. He is a good storyteller. Snyder can do the action/visual stuff.

But then again you would keep the not my Superman/Batman crowd so there is that.

Synder should direct it. Aside from Lex, I don't see why he should get more blame than the actual writers who were the ones who wrote the screenplay.

IconGrist

Synder should direct it. Aside from Lex, I don't see why he should get more blame than the actual writers who were the ones who wrote the screenplay.

I'm going to reserve judgement on Terrio until I get the full movie. The 3 hour cut. This version really feels like it was just snipped all to hell. And that is totally out of the script writer's control. Everything feels right but there's a flow that's really uneven. I doubt it'll change anyone's mind about Eisenberg but I already really liked him in this. I'm not even going to point a finger at Zack until then. The Watchmen and Sucker Punch DC's significantly improved the theatrical cuts. For now I'm going wait and see what this DC is like before I really judge.

There are some things that are just unforgivable and those will always stay with the movie no matter what. Hopefully the DC softens those blows.

Firemind

Seen it last night. Let me start by saying IMAX is legit amazing. Wow. And the 3D is so much better than regular old ass 3D. I don't think I can go back now unless they show IMAX 2D over here.

Now onto the film, I really liked it. Yeah scene transitions were all over the place, but I was genuinely surprised by the screenplay. Not everything worked but the things that did work were pretty clever.
Like Martha's name.
I even got the ending spoiled but I was still legit surprised they went with it.

The most amazing scene was definitely WW's entrance. It gave me chills. Everyone had really good performances. I don't really get how people say they don't care about the characters. Clark, Bruce and Lex all have considerable development throughout the movie.
I actually thought Clark was going to fight Bruce for the heck of it, but they managed to explain it very convincingly.
The only weak character I thought was Lois who didn't really get anything going for her.

Now onto the things I didn't like. There were parts of the writing that were too convenient to advance the plot and they were all in the last act.
- The general discerned that Deadpool feeds on energy and that it's impossible to kill.
- Lois knowing she needs the kryptonite spear even though she discarded it earlier.
- Clark knowing Lois is about to drown and gets a break from the fight.
Also I'm pretty sure fans will discuss for years how
Bruce wins the fight.

I felt the last act was a bit rushed in general. The action was amazing however. I don't get how people want Snyder to be fired for Justice 1. He's the only one in the industry that can shoot action like he did in this movie. It's really a comic book come to life. Compare the action to Civil War's trailer where Cap and Bucky trade shots and jojo the shield to beat up a stunned Tony. Or the shot where the two sides just run into each other for no real reason besides looking spectacular.
How Bruce tried frantically with every sort of trick to his disposal to avoid getting vaporized was brilliant stuff. It shows he's not in any position to think of a counter plan so it falls upon Clark to deal with him. The way WW uses her lasso and Bruce his last kryptonite bullet to hold Doomsday down. Magical stuff.

I'm fairly sure the extended cut will fix a lot of issues, so I'm excited for that. I'm also really excited for Justice League because they now have a strong foundation for the Justice League. Snyder will knock the action scenes out of the park as always.

tl;dr Great film. I have faith in Snyder and Terrio to continue the DCU. Bring on the extended cut.

SJRB

Gold Member

I've been wondering about this a lot lately. Everyone wants Snyder fired, dude is the biggest hack in the world, clueless moron, blabla. But he didn't write this fucking thing, he directed it.

Shouldn't everyone's hate be pointed towards the writing duo of Goyer and Terrio?

Also there are way too many dream sequences. It probably would have benefitted the film if they had cut all of them.

aside from the opening one which was necessary I absolutely agree. the knightmare inclusion especially was a big mistake and should have just been thrown in the extended cut for the fans.

aside from those in the know it likely baffled the audience and critics.

Firemind

aside from the opening one which was necessary I absolutely agree. the knightmare inclusion especially was a big mistake and should have just been thrown in the extended cut for the fans.

I don't really consider the opening a dream sequence. I treat it as powerful imagery of a character who's driven to be the iconic comic book character he ends up as.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's a great song being played by someone with bricks for fingers. There's a great movie under a thick layer of self-importance unarguably clumsy execution. There are great moments, or set ups for great moments that are undermined by either heavy handed melodrama or awkward editing.

I don't hate it, but I'm frustrated to hell by it. I understand why so many pieces are included here, or the reasoning of why you would want to do something. It's just the handling of all these pieces is so poorly done. I don't think it's the movie being overstuffed, it's just stuff being poorly contextualized or Snyder being ridiculously self-indulgent with the crafting of certain shots.

I agree more with the 5/10 reviews than the outright thrashing it's gotten elsewhere. This movie could've been done so much better with a more thoughtful director at the helm.

Always hesitant to make a what they should've done post. The theories of the knightmare being
where we'd get Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg cameos were exciting. All fending off Superman to buy time for Flash to travel back. Go even further with the craziness.

Always hesitant to make a what they should've done post. The theories of the knightmare being
where we'd get Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg cameos were exciting. All fending off Superman to buy time for Flash to travel back. Go even further with the craziness.

much better idea if the director wanted it in so bad. and it would have provided for a nice tease for the action in the justice league rather than....the crap we got lmao.

duckroll's review is great. i echo all his thoughts for the most part but come out the movie feeling negative about it rather than liking it. still...i appreciate it. and that's something i can't say for any snyder movie ever before.

It's still baffling to me, how the scriptwriters thought
Wonder Woman checks email, with all cameos, lexcorp already has the logos ready. lol.

Such lazy writing.

It's still baffeling to me, how the scriptwriters thought
Wonder Woman checks email, with all cameos, lexcorp already has the logos ready. lol.

Such lazy writing.

yeah
that was a terrible idea. and the videos were cornball aside from the flash one i suppose. it was like a WB studios marketing package with pitch reels sent directly to wonder woman...wut. should have just cut that stuff out and hinted at batman being aware of metahumans or something...perhaps from seeing them in the knightmare sequence.

duckroll

It's still baffeling to me, how the scriptwriters thought

Such lazy writing.

I don't think anyone really gave a shit about those cameos. I recall someone saying it felt like a pop-up ad in the middle of the film, and that's exactly what it is. Just awful, lol.

The only video cameo out of the 3 which looked like it even had any budget going into it was the Cyborg one. And that's the one normal audiences will understand the least. Lol. Priorities...

I don't think anyone really gave a shit about those cameos. I recall someone saying it felt like a pop-up ad in the middle of the film, and that's exactly what it is. Just awful, lol.

The only video cameo out of the 3 which looked like it even had any budget going into it was the Cyborg one. And that's the one normal audiences will understand the least. Lol. Priorities...

It could've worked without any of those cameos and the knightmare scene. Young Justice sets up all the characters in 20 minutes, so JL movie should do that easily. They don't need to be the JL at the beginning of the move, but in the end.As always.

My friend actually enjoyed Jesse Eisenberg's performance the most out of everyone else in the movie lol. I'm pretty sure he was one of the highlights for her. My other friend was waiting the entire time for him to go bald haha.

jey_16

Banned
the email with the videos was such a horrible idea,
i asked my dad who saw the film as well and he had no idea what was going on with that

either do it as a post credits scene or do it more organically.....
i was actually expecting Aquaman to turn up when Lois dived into the water for the spear

Just came back from my second viewing this time in Imax. Fuck was it great seeing those Imax scenes. The weird scene transitions and pacing problems were definitely more apparent this time around but god did I still enjoy it. I agree with those that said this is an ambitious film and honestly I'd rather more of this than a good but forgettable superhero movie even if its as divisive as this. My favourite scenes were without a doubt
the fucking beautiful opening credits and the Superman montage of him doing various heroics with the debates playing over it.
Both were very Snyderesque sequences, I hope we get more of these in JL. I'm still a Snyder fan.

Overall I think I'll settle on a solid 7.5 maybe 8.

shingi70

Banned
The more I think if it the JLA camros should have been similar to a watchmen style montage.
I'm a bit annoyed that Flash wasn't a superhero Yet.

I wonder how Sucidie Squad will factor into the universe and where it takes place in relation to BvS.

bryanee

The more I think if it the JLA camros should have been similar to a watchmen style montage.
I'm a bit annoyed that Flash wasn't a superhero Yet.

I wonder how Sucidie Squad will factor into the universe and where it takes place in relation to BvS.

I think Squad takes place after BvS.

jrush64

Banned
Going to watch this today finally by 6. So fucking excited. I liked Man of Steel but felt it could be better. I hope I like this too.

And that's a major issue I have with the film, kills the whole thing for me really. But in Batman's case once he has the information on where to go, he just goes at it like a battering ram. It's lucky his cowl is incredibly bulletproof, because the warehouse assault was otherwise just complete brute-force after the gun disabling.

That scene where he whispers fighting techniques in the combatant's ear, does the guy do anything special? Not that we see. It's like a narrative shorthand. A character trait without having to put much work in.

Yeah he should have taken his time at the warehouse, not like he was running against time or anything.

So, from the recent Deadline update, there's a block on the audience reaction for the film:

you're going to trigger a lot of people with that kind of talk

I don't think Snyder is going anywhere tbh, and I'm not angry about it at all.I just hope he learns from mistakes or WB gets more hands on, maybe give Johns a stronger say over the universe. Say what you want about Johns but he gets (most of) the characters and their motivations. By the time GLC rolls around, I don't think Snyder will have as much influence over them, and hopefully Shazam.

Anyway I don't think JL will suffer nearly the same amount of problems as BvS does, it's not going to be mixing in 3 or so story lines or trying to lay ground work for a universe.

intense spoilers
I really want to see the part where Superman returns, I hope it's a great scene :p.

I don't think Snyder is going anywhere tbh, and I'm not angry about it at all.I just hope he learns from mistakes or WB gets more hands on, maybe give Johns a strong part of the universe. Say what you want about Johns but he gets (most of) the characters and their motivations.

I don't think he can learn from his mistakes. Half of BvS is spent adressing the criticisms some people had about Superman in Man of Steel and yet he did even worse with Batman and he doesn't even seem to understand why that might be a problem.

I like Snyder's other films but he's doing more harm than good for DC. They should never have put the starting date of Justice League so shortly after BvS, they're stuck between a rock and a hard place now. They don't have enough time to change direction unless they push the movie, but they're going to look weak if they do that now.

Edit :
Anyway I don't think JL will suffer nearly the same amount of problems as BvS does, it's not going to be mixing in 3 or so story lines or trying to lay ground work for a universe

But it is going to mix AT LEAST 3 storylines:

- The resurrection of Superman
- Darkseid
- The formation of the Justice League

And I'm sure they'll find something else to add on top of that.

PBY

Banned

I don't think Snyder is going anywhere tbh, and I'm not angry about it at all.I just hope he learns from mistakes or WB gets more hands on, maybe give Johns a stronger say over the universe. Say what you want about Johns but he gets (most of) the characters and their motivations. By the time GLC rolls around, I don't think Snyder will have as much influence over them, and hopefully Shazam.

Anyway I don't think JL will suffer nearly the same amount of problems as BvS does, it's not going to be mixing in 3 or so story lines or trying to lay ground work for a universe.

intense spoilers
I really want to see the part where Superman returns, I hope it's a great scene :p.
Snyder isn't going to learn anything. He's always been a hack and he's trending down. MoS and BvS are his career low points besides SP.

At this point he is who he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom