• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching Watchmen director's cut while anticipating for my second viewing of BvS. Man, if anything, this movie has much better editing/flow for sure. I really want to see how much improvement will the director's cut of BvS will have.

I'm glad this movie is making money, but I really don't want Snyder/WB's takeaway to be "this movie wasn't for credics, but fans love it". I hope they actually acknowledge the editing/pacing problems, and the problems people have with the core of some of these characters. I want improvements, not heel digging.

Think I might be expecting too much...

Ahasverus

The worst part of this debacle in this forum is having to read that Riprock guy mocking in every thread. He was actually the most freequent poster in the RT thread (most of them were the usual suspects) but he's not only there, he's everywhere, taking shitposting to the extremes.

The worst part? There's no way to debate him. We were monumentally screwed.

Verendus

Banned
I'm glad this movie is making money, but I really don't want Snyder/WB's takeaway to be "this movie wasn't for credics, but fans love it". I hope they actually acknowledge the editing/pacing problems, and the problems people have with the core of some of these characters. I want improvements, not heel digging.

Think I might be expecting too much...
They will definitely recognize it.

If this movie falls less than $450 million domestic, which it will unless it has unexpectedly amazing legs, Warner Bros. will sit up and notice. Batman is still the biggest superhero brand from an admissions point of view. Bigger than Iron Man, Avengers, or Spider-Man etc. The fact that this movie's best shot might just be $400 million isn't going to go unnoticed. A financial success won't stop them from considering whether its potential has been reached the way they'd want it.

A new Batman movie could perform better than Batman v Superman when it comes out. That's likely going to rub them the wrong way because they'll recognize they didn't capitalize on this opportunity as effectively as possible.

IconGrist

I can't believe how bad DC or WB fucks up Superman. I understand between his moral code and abilities he can be a hard sell but this is the absolutely wrong way to generate interest.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Also, I swear to god if I see that All-Star Superman panel one more time brought up, I'm gonna flip. You just know if Synder had put that in this movie, shot for shot, word for word, everyone would bitch about it too. Everything from "he didn't earn that" to "lol that's so corny". Dude can't win.

Ahasverus

I'm watching it a second time right now. Damn the editing is brutal, and I'm only like 15 minutes in, things just.. happen. It feels like a comic book, in a sense. I'm gonna watch/post through it.

Simo

I'm watching it a second time right now. Damn the editing is brutal, and I'm only like 15 minutes in, things just.. happen. It feels like a comic book, in a sense. I'm gonna watch/post through it.

I hope you're alone in the screening then.

I'm starting to think theres a reason George Miller was made a producer on JL and it's not bc of his cancelled version.

Where was this announced? Hopefully we're not using IMDB as a source since that's user generated and I'm not sure why KMM would be involved given their standing with WB right now...?

Ahasverus

Screening is not packed btw lo and there's no one besides or behind me, otherwise I wouldn't be doing this.

- Flawless opening. Excellent second scene (metropolis).
- The party scene is so good.
I liked that they had Jenny again!
- The second time it becomes more apparent that the scenes, so far at least, are good, just very out of order, or super cut, specially
the whole Africa part, and the sudden, and brief, Senate hearing.
-
That ten seconds scee with Scott and the senator? Cut. Why was it there?
- This movie really lacks stablishing shots. Things just.. happen.
I'm talking about the Bruce/Diana meeting at the museum. Nice scene, btw.
- The fucking knightmare, man, wtf. Cut that shit out. Dat cgi.
- Man, this movie really needs a 5 hours cut or something. I love all that's happening, but it makes no sense in itself.
-
"Judge, jury, executioner."
Brutal, Lex.
- Lois parts scream "cut"
-
KGBeast is a nice touch
- I'm not crazy abuot the batmobile part, feels a bit like a Nolan rethread, but uncanny valley kicks in. Also, Burton Batman is best batman.
- "Do you bleed" is pure cheese. Dialogue is good so far, but.. just no.
- The batcave entrance is badass
- "People hate what they don't understand".. against, wtf is with the cuts, jesus Christ, expecting the scenes make them worse, not better.
- I think this movie suffers from a bit of Phantom Menace Syndrome. There is no main character.
- Wait. there are two oldest lies? I feel it's a recap to the joker scars thing but here.. it doesn't work.
- The courtroom scene was nuts. It tries hard, but it lacks.. gravitas. The immediate shot o Superman screams MoS level criticism for years to come, and it's the only part I can confidently say Cavill's acting SUCKED
- Of course a likely badass Batman scene was cut and we only got an out of context reaction
- I have no complaints about tone. It's on point. The cinematography is amazing and there are very few unpleasant shots.
- I can't with the editing.
- Loved when
Bruce discovers Diana is immortal. You can feel the surprise.
- Luthor
being the one baptizing JL members was weird.
¨, but I think it's not worse than it being Cisco on the Flash show.
-
I don't get what the Pa kent scene is supposed to mean, or how did it happen. but it's funny seeing him fatter in dead lol. If it was a remembrance, which I think it was, him saying "I miss you son" was a bit like Clark wishing? I dunno
- The Batman setting up traps part SHOULD HAVE BEEN, no doubt about it, just after
the Bruce/Alred speech, not after Martha was kidnapped.
That made no sense. The
Lois
part too. Man, this movie has the most baffling editing ever made. Seriously. It pains because what's happening is soo good.
- Luthor is very fun, but underdeveloped. I like everything he does but.. why does he does it?
- Superman flying always looked great.
- Rooftop lex scene = boss
- Just when things get exciting.. emails. Yeah. Don't do that again Zack. Should have been post credits. For real. And I hate post-credits.
- batman is a damn cheater bastard
- You know, I kinda hate Batman in the fight. Shit is visceral.
- Once is enough for seeing
Wayne's death.
The message was obvious
- From all the
Bat-killings,
the only one that I still don't like is the stabbing. Omg. Cold blooded
- Hey, Superman saved
Lex from Doomsday
. That's gotta count right?
- Superman money shots! Love them!
- I Think she's kinda hot
- This movie does channel Watchmen
- Yep. Screams again. This movie is a 3 hours trailer for Woder Woman.
- B-man be like, yeah, I'm fine from here.
- Can we have a movie where Superman doesn¿t come off as a creep to Lois. He's kinda beta here. Still cute though.
- This is my world = GOAT song of the OST.
- You know, I disagree with most people here. This movie saved the lois-Clark relationship. I do feel for them.
- Jesse has a low standard for "best scene of my carreer" lol
- I think there was a little homage to
Superman Returns
with Perry here.
- OMG I didn't notice they MEGA SPOILER
They Did kill Clark! It's on the planet!. Fuck. I bet Perry knows.
- The feels, they still hit.
- I almost forgot it was you until the cannon Zack. Thanks for reminding me!
- OK the
candle crowd
is pretty good.
- I really like batman's arc. It should be clearer, but I love it, really. Very emotional.
- Fuck, that lex' final scene. When this movie hits, it hits it hard. Great stuff, and kinda unsettling.
- Inception!

Welp, there goes my second viewing. I can't, I really can't dislike this movie. I try hard, it's flawed, he, it's downright the worst made commercial movie I've ever seen, but it has a soul, it brings some great messages, it's a labour of love from a crazy lover.

In conclusion, the first hour + sucks because nothing is ever explained, but everything post-fight is good to great. Editing is the worst ever done, but if you can fill in the blanks, you realize it's a story worth telling. Snider started the hype again with the lastest JL teases and explanations for this movie's ending. Well, while I kinda hate him (professionally) for butchering one of the smartest screenplays I've ever felt in a CBM.. I'm hearing, at the distance, the whistle of the hype train, coming, again.

ReiGun

Also, I swear to god if I see that All-Star Superman panel one more time brought up, I'm gonna flip. You just know if Synder had put that in this movie, shot for shot, word for word, everyone would bitch about it too. Everything from "he didn't earn that" to "lol that's so corny". Dude can't win.

Which is exactly how Snyder would have done it. Probably had a soft piano version of Clark's theme in the background too.

Hagi

Sweet jesus that movie was absolutely mental. I was expecting something a little safe to get them started but they just went balls deep right from the get go. I think I loved it...

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Just got out of my 2nd viewing. I like it even more now. I'm done arguing or feeling the need to defend myself for liking this movie. This movie has so much heart IMO and I love the tone of it. It feels right for these characters to care and realize the gravity of the circumstances. Once again I was reminded how well Affleck did. I realy felt every emotion he was going through. Cavill also for that matter but Ben more so.

Overall I think it accomplished everything it wanted to.

9/10

Oh, and my 10 year old boy says to me as we were walking out, "I don't think I've ever seen a movie twice in the theater. I think it's my favorite movie." Very cool.

My ten year old cousin loved it. He gave it a 9.5/10, because he would've liked to see more WW.

I'll raise my score from 6 to 6.5.

It would've been a 7, but Eisenberg started to annoy me.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm starting to absolutely detest that panel.

I'm willing to bet 90% of the people that post it haven't even read the graphic novel. That was Superman with a terminal illness and at the end of his superhero career. Completely different context to Cavill's Superman who's pretty much a rookie in MoS.

Pachimari

I guess Man of Steel is one of those movies where I have to watch it in multiple sittings. I'm currently at 1:45 or something, and this movie is so beautiful and visually shot. I'm very interested in the whole Krypton thing, and Earth's reaction to the whole Superman deal. I guess my problem lies with the pacing and how much it needs to tell instead of show. It can be very slow at times. Hopefully I'll finish it by tomorrow night.

I also have to add for the second viewing:

I liked the Martha scene. It's pretty good. Execution could've been better, but I like the idea of Superman, the god, has normal human feelings, which never was considered from Batman

I also appreciated the OST more, WW theme gave me goosebumps.

But Batman, what should I say.

DÖÖÖÖÖN DÖN DÖN DÖN DÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖN. Hope they improve on his theme.

1. Badass scene of Batman calling out Superman
2. Tense horrifying LexCorp tower scene
3. Wonder Woman opening emails in her hotel room
4. Iconic Batman/Superman confrontation

Whoever had final cut needs to be fired just like the guy who cut the Doomsday trailer

Loxley

Looks like Wondy and Supes' new 'Rebirth' designs were definitely influenced by their DCEU counterparts:

q1TVKW1.jpg

Southside Jim

Neo Member
Obviously there are flaws, but this movie really goes for it. Haven't stopped thinking about it since I saw it on Thursday and can't wait to check it out again. Can't remember the last comic book movie I've felt that way about...

inm8num2

Stumbled upon this article from 2005. Interesting quote from Goyer on page 3:

" 'Batman Vs. Superman' is where you go when you admit to yourself that you've exhausted all possibilities," says Goyer, who wrote the screenplays for "Blade" and its two sequels. "It's like 'Frankenstein meets Wolfman' or 'Freddy Vs. Jason.' It's somewhat of an admission that this franchise is on its last gasp."

I don't think that's quite the case with this movie - less of a last gasp and more of a rush to bring in a new Batman and jump to JL. Still, kind of an interesting read to see the mindset WB/DC had before BB came out.

Kouichi

One thing I really like about BvS is just how different it is from the rest of the comic book movies. It's less Marvel, and more Watchmen. I love the Marvel films, but having more variety is always great as long as the quality is still good. I don't think Synder is the best director for the Justice League movies, but I hope they don't stop the dark tone he's set up thus far. It's different from my ideal version of these characters, but that's partly why it's interesting.

Simo

Looks like Wondy and Supes' new 'Rebirth' designs were definitely influenced by their DCEU counterparts:

q1TVKW1.jpg

Superman looks a hell of a lot better without the collar but the boots need to be red, then it'd be perfect.

Did they already get rid of Snyder/Capullo's new suit? lol

I can't believe how bad DC or WB fucks up Superman. I understand between his moral code and abilities he can be a hard sell but this is the absolutely wrong way to generate interest.

It would have helped his character tbh. Snyder was a bit too concerned with making the DC watchmen that Alan Moore intended years ago. Superman and his interactions with the public/their response to him is practically like Dr. Manhattan

It's hard to gauge if he even gives a shit about humanity in here despite him saving that Mexican girl. When they're all around him he practically looks through them rather than at them. He lets them think he's a God in here imo.

bryanee

Superman looks a hell of a lot better without the collar but the boots need to be red, then it'd be perfect.

Did they already get rid of Snyder/Capullo's new suit? lol

That is the Capullo suit, the colours on the belt and logo aren't as pronounced in that image.

It would have helped his character tbh. Snyder was a bit too concerned with making the DC watchmen that Alan Moore intended years ago. Superman and his interactions with the public/their response to him is practically like Dr. Manhattan

It's hard to gauge if he even gives a shit about humanity in here despite him saving that Mexican girl. When they're all around him he practically looks through them rather than at them. He lets them think he's a God in here imo.

He doesn't look through them, what. He's troubled by the worship, he's not sure if he deserves it, that's all.

Simo

That is the Capullo suit, the colours on the belt and logo aren't as pronounced in that image.

Ah ok. Yeah now if I look closer I see the purple on the cape...just can't see the yellow but then I guess it was a cap from their announcement video?

He doesn't look through them, what. He's troubled by the worship, he's not sure if he deserves it, that's all.

His acting in this film and the lines they give him often make him look unconcerned tbh. He does not come off as relatable in personality all in here when he's superman

Hell look at what made batman finally turn around on him. Before that he didn't even see any humanity in the guy either.

Edit: of course other things are at play in that scene too no doubt

Snaku

Banned
Going to see this a third time later tonight with my brother, this time in D-Box. I've never seen a movie in one of those and am interested to see what it's like.

Vinter

Watching it again tomorrow night, but in 2D this time. I think its the first time since I was a kid that I watch a movie more than once in the theatre.

Why does Baz always need a gun, it's so weird. I know he likes it because it's his backup weapon, but it just looks so edgy lmao. Could he atleast keep it holstered.

Anyway Rebirth is an 80 page special 1 shot @ $2.99. It's going to be a good jumping on point.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
His acting in this film and the lines they give him often make him look unconcerned tbh. He does not come off as relatable in personality all in here when he's superman

Hell look at what made batman finally turn around on him. Before that he didn't even see any humanity in the guy either.
I disagree. The thing with Superman in these past two movies is he is extremely overwhelmed and lacking confidence and I felt that Cavill did a great job conveying that. It seems like every one shits on him but I felt he was the emotional backbone of the entire movie. Really connected with his struggle. But... that's just me and it seems many didn't share that connection.

tim1138

Why does Baz always need a gun, it's so weird. I know he likes it because it's his backup weapon, but it just looks so edgy lmao. Could he atleast keep it holstered.

Anyway Rebirth is an 80 page special 1 shot @ $2.99. It's going to be a good jumping on point.

Because when he got his ring initially had no idea how it worked because the ring was messed up. He tried to use it to save himself and the ring ran out of charge and died. He ended up grabbing a gun to protect himself and held onto it as a backup. B'dg made fun of him, but in made sense in the story and was used to good effect when he shot Sinestro in the face in the Deadzone.

I'm starting to think theres a reason George Miller was made a producer on JL and it's not bc of his cancelled version.

Was this ever confirmed? I know the rumor came in the same report as Amber Herd being Mera, but I haven't heard anything about it yet. And if it is true, I want Miller to have his grubby hands over every little thing in JL haha

I disagree. The thing with Superman in these past two movies is he is extremely overwhelmed and lacking confidence and I felt that Cavill did a great job conveying that. It seems like every one shits on him but I felt he was the emotional backbone of the entire movie. Really connected with his struggle. But... that's just me and it seems many didn't share that connection.

My hope for Superman in JL is he gets a little looser and has some fun. Shrug off small arms fire, flash an "aw shucks" smile every so often. Hell he had elements of that in MoS, make that a bigger part of his personality going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom