• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

Hey this is the opposite of what people were telling me 1-2 weeks ago! BvS had a prolonged production period because WB wanted to get it just right! Now that they have the concept perfected, Snyder will hit the ground running and JL can be made much faster!

lol

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Fuck were I just spoiled that Flash is in this? I totally expect him to pop up in the knightmare dream fully dressed as Flash now.
Don't expect anything man. Don't have any preconceived ideas of what you want going in either. Just sit down, pay attention, and enjoy.

Verendus

Banned
Don't expect anything man. Don't have any preconceived ideas of what you want going in either. Just sit down, pay attention, and enjoy.
That's what I'll be telling myself with FFXV. It's okay big dog. It's okay. Fifteen years. The disappointment with this franchise is bound to come to an end. Don't be afraid. It's okay. It's okay!

guek

Banned
Hey this is the opposite of what people were telling me 1-2 weeks ago! BvS had a prolonged production period because WB wanted to get it just right! Now that they have the concept perfected, Snyder will hit the ground running and JL can be made much faster!

lol I'm just trying to be optimistic

jackdoe

Just got out. I didn't hate it. But I didn't like it. It is not a good movie. Not the worst superhero movie in the world, better than either Thor movie, Green Lantern, and other movies on their tier. Slightly worse than Age of Ultron. It felt like it didn't lead anywhere and it couldn't even do set piece action correctly. But who know? The director's cut may improve the movie. I'm just honestly surprised that no one saw this cut and thought "Hell, no." Especially considering how long post production was.

As an aside, Man of Steel is a much better movie. Character motivations are clear and definitive, set piece action is done right, and it doesn't have any WTF world building nonsense moments.

You know who could save DC by boosting their box office by over 100%?

The Rock.

Just saying.

BmDilab.gif

IconGrist

My biggest piece of advice going into this is whatever you think you know, forget it. Almost none of it plays out the way it's depicted in the trailers. So if you go in there thinking "I got it" or "I'm excited to see what I know is going to happen" or "I have a passing knowledge of these characters and can't wait to see them play out exactly like how I imagine" you're probably going to have a bad time.

Batman is old scared Batman.
Superman is young naive Superman.
Lex is unhinged creepy Lex.

If these are new concepts to you regarding these characters then prepare yourself for something you haven't seen.

And for the love of whatever you hold dear do not complain about Heath Ledger Luthor. It's not the same and comparing the two really only tells me you didn't pay attention to either character.

It's not a perfect movie but you will find plenty of entertainment if you don't walk in there looking to hate it. This is not Sucker Punch. This is Batman v Superman.

“There was a time above. A time before. There were perfect things, diamond absolutes. But things fall. And what falls is fallen."

Man, the way this film starts off, I wish... I fucking wish... this was a Batman solo film. Affleck crushes every scene he's in. :(

jackdoe

“There was a time above. A time before. There were perfect things, diamond absolutes. But things fall. And what falls is fallen."

Man, the way this film starts off, I wish... I fucking wish... this was a Batman solo film. Affleck crushes every scene he's in. :(
The dialogue was some amazing stuff. Even if it sometimes didn't make sense in the context of the scene. And everyone acted the hell out of this movie.

The dialogue was some amazing stuff. Even if it sometimes didn't make sense in the context of the scene. And everyone acted the hell out of this movie.

I feel like Terrio did the best he could, and you can tell that from the quality of dialogue, but I suppose Snyder had a lot of say on major story beats. And yeah, most performances were solid, but Ben gave it his all. I feel so bad for him. I hope he gets a good script and director for his Batman film, or better yet directs the fuck out of it himself.

a916

I know even DC GAF it's mixed... not to the extent of the exaggeration found elsewhere but still. I honestly think this movie is going to fall in line with what V said earlier before the movie dropped. This thing is going to land in my top 10, maybe top 5 once it's home release and I can watch it at home again.

This, coupled with
Aflred saying things changed. Along with "I will honor you in death" leads me to believe this Batman doesn't kill, as in he didn't start that way... he was pushed to it, and he reverted back to the non killing one at the end... my guess Joker/Robin had something to do with it.

One day we will see The Rock drop a flying electrified people's elbow on Superman and that's the day the meaning of life is found.

Shazam -> MOS2 featuring Black Adam/Shazam origin directed by Miller, light hearted, Superman prime and The Rock, plenty of charisma.
Cyborg -> Teen Titans featuring Cyborg

Make it happen.

This, coupled with
Aflred saying things changed. Along with "I will honor you in death" leads me to believe this Batman doesn't kill, as in he didn't start that way... he was pushed to it, and he reverted back to the non killing one at the end... my guess Joker/Robin had something to do with it.

Shazam -> MOS2 featuring Black Adam/Shazam origin directed by Miller, light hearted, Superman prime and The Rock, plenty of charisma.
Cyborg -> Teen Titans featuring Cyborg

Make it happen.

in regards to the first part, that's my hope as well.

In regards to the second, I feel bad Superman is coheadlining everything after his first solo, so idk about that, but I'm totally on board with Miller directing. And I feel like Cyborg's movie is going to be Teen Titans just by virtue of it being difficult to have him fly solo for a whole movie. That being said, since we know from BvS
he is made from a Mother Box, maybe having him delve into the New Gods more than Jl1 and 2, and get the full supporting cast of Orion and Highfather, Mr Miracle and Big Barda;
that'd be pretty cool.

jrush64

Banned
I enjoyed it very much. It felt like it was missing some scenes but it was a very good movie. I loved the fight and loved the scene between Bruce and Clark.

I absolutely loved Lex. Eisenberg was perfect. Loved the superman moments and his struggles in the film. Doomsday was terrifying.

All in all, I'll rate it a solid 8/10. No way is it close to being as bad as the critics rated it. Overreaction.

Verendus

Banned
Warner Bros. is in a pretty good position. For all the concern over what they're going to do, I feel like they just need to go in harder. The main adjustment required is Batman. Essentially, they need to be taking advantage of the brand every year in some way. Since they have Affleck, it's about as guaranteed of a hit they can get too.

I'd roughly adjust the slate as follows:

Suicide Squad (2016)
Wonder Woman (2017)
Justice League (2017)
Batman (2018)
The Flash (2018)
Shazam (2018)
Aquaman (2019)
Suicide Squad 2 (2019)
Justice League 2 (2019)
Batman & Wonder Woman (2020)
Cyborg (2020)
Man of Steel 2 (2020)
Green Lantern (2020)

Throw in Superman in Shazam with The Rock. Since Shazam is apparently a kid, it's a good time to put in boy scout Superman as his arc will be finished in Justice League. Bring that forward a year, and push back Aquaman instead. Three to four movies a year should be their aim if they really want to take full advantage. A movie every quarter essentially. Batman should follow Justice League as it's a good strategic move. Back to back billion dollar movies. You have the biggest superhero brand on the planet in your hands, and the biggest domestic brand behind Star Wars. Why wouldn't you take advantage of that?

If Wonder Woman does well, which I assume it will, just split that into its own sequel and give Batman a solo sequel too. Rough idea, but there's so much money they could make and really easily. Man of Steel sequel is fine to wait since he'll have had three movies centred around his character already. He needs a bit of a break to create some distance while building up his value in the team up movies.

Yes, this is indeed an excuse for me to get as much Batman as possible, but I assure you the general idea is still pretty solid.

VanWinkle

Warner Bros. is in a pretty good position. For all the concern over what they're going to do, I feel like they just need to go in harder. The main adjustment required is Batman. Essentially, they need to be taking advantage of the brand every year in some way. Since they have Affleck, it's about as guaranteed of a hit they can get too.

Suicide Squad (2016)
Wonder Woman (2017)
Justice League (2017)
Batman (2018)
The Flash (2018)
Shazam (2018)
Aquaman (2019)
Suicide Squad 2 (2019)
Justice League 2 (2019)
Cyborg (2020)
Man of Steel 2 (2020)
Green Lantern (2020)

Throw in Superman in Shazam with The Rock. Since Shazam is apparently a kid, it's a good time to put in boy scout Superman as his arc will be finished in Justice League. Bring that forward a year, and push back Aquaman instead. Three to four movies a year should be their aim if they really want to take full advantage. A movie every quarter essentially. Batman should follow Justice League as it's a good strategic move. Back to back billion dollar movies. You have the biggest superhero brand on the planet in your hands, and the biggest domestic brand behind Star Wars. Why wouldn't you take advantage of that?

If Wonder Woman does well, which I assume it will, just split that into its own sequel and give Batman a solo sequel too. Rough idea, but there's so much money they could make and really easily. Man of Steel sequel is fine to wait since he'll have had three movies centred around his character already. He needs a bit of a break to create some distance while building up his value in the team up movies.

Yes, this is indeed an excuse for me to get as much Batman as possible, but I assure you the general idea is still pretty solid.

Do you think Batman in two years is realistic? Are we assuming they're already well into pre-production?

Also, four movies in 2020? I feel like that would be stretching it a bit.

Verendus

Banned
Do you think Batman in two years is realistic? Are we assuming they're already well into pre-production?

It's not like Warner has much else aside from Potter. They can do four movies and get away with it, especially since Suicide Squad is pretty much its own thing. Batman is indeed me being incredibly hopeful even though all indications are it's already in progress in some form. It's probably more likely for a 2019 release, but maybe they could do it for 2018 if they work on it properly now.

Ashhong

Another thing I noticed and also while watching MoS again, goddamn does Snyder have style. Every single frame of both movies had such style to them. The way they were framed, shot, everything. I don't want to turn this into a fanboy thing but it's a really big noticeable difference when compared to MCU.

Oh and about Lex, he is supposed to be like a mastermind genius dude right? How come
people don't like the fact that batman and superman basically fought because of him? I thought it was very fitting to his character. Is it because they think the title and trailers are misleading?

Ben should have a clear schedule next year, at least in his DC obligations. The next possible movie he'd have to be on set for a substantial part of the filming would be Justice League 2 and that filming shouldn't start until 2018.

VanWinkle

Ben should have a clear schedule next year, at least in his DC obligations. The next possible movie he'd have to be on set for a substantial part of the filming would be Justice League 2 and that filming shouldn't start until 2018.

I'm going to personally guess 2019 for Batman.

And I can't WAIT.

Suicide Squad (2016)
Wonder Woman (2017)
Justice League (2017)
Batman (2018)
The Flash (2018)
Shazam (2018)
Aquaman (2019)
Suicide Squad 2 (2019)
Justice League 2 (2019)
Cyborg (2020)
Man of Steel 2 (2020)
Green Lantern (2020)

Poor Tyrese gon be waiting a long-ass time.

ryan299

It's not like Warner has much else aside from Potter. They can do four movies and get away with it, especially since Suicide Squad is pretty much its own thing. Batman is indeed me being incredibly hopeful even though all indications are it's already in progress in some form. It's probably more likely for a 2019 release, but maybe they could do it for 2018 if they work on it properly now.

I think four movies in a year is way too much. Also I don't think Shazam and Cyborg are guarantees. Still think that Cyborg film will become a Titans movie.

A 2018 Batman film is doable. I think they know the story they want to tell (cough Red Hood) and I wouldn't be surprised if they're near completion on the first draft.

jackdoe

I think four movies in a year is way too much. Also I don't think Shazam and Cyborg are guarantees. Still think that Cyborg film will become a Titans movie.

A 2018 Batman film is doable. I think they know the story they want to tell (cough Red Hood) and I wouldn't be surprised if they're near completion on the first draft.
I'm just hoping this Batman v Superman backlash doesn't scare Ben away from doing the solo Batman film.

Verendus

Banned

Don't try and destroy my dream of The Rock vs. Superman and Batman, friend.

I balee.

That's my thing. It's what I do.

ryan299

I'm just hoping this Batman v Superman backlash doesn't scare Ben away from doing the solo Batman film.

None of the backlash is about him though. Everybody seems to be in agreement that he is the best part of the film.

Don't try and destroy my dream of The Rock vs. Superman and Batman, friend.

I balee.

That's my thing. It's what I do.

I'm down to see that, but Shazam is an unknown to the mainstream. I think the kid angle would be weird for the mainstream. Rock could always move back to Lobo.

onipex

My wife and I saw it tonight and loved it. We liked it better than MoS, Ultron, Antman, the 2 Thor movies , DKR, Guardians, and IM 3. That last fight scene was just fun to see.

This movie made me feel something in a few scenes and I can't say that about movies comic book movies. I gave it a 8/10 and my wife said its a 8.5.

jackdoe

I have to say though, even though I didn't like the movie, I am having a blast discussing some of the film's finer points. What worked and what didn't work.

ReiGun

People on my twitter feed are going to see the movie twice just to double check if they actually liked it.

That is hilarious to me for some reason.

3N16MA

Banned
My wife and I saw it tonight and loved it. We liked it better than MoS, Ultron, Antman, the 2 Thor movies , DKR, Guardians, and IM 3. That last fight scene was just fun to see.

This movie made me feel something in a few scenes and I can't say that about movies comic book movies. I gave it a 8/10 and my wife said its a 8.5.

Better than IM2, IM3, Thor 1, Thor 2, AoU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom