• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Was this ever confirmed? I know the rumor came in the same report as Amber Herd being Mera, but I haven't heard anything about it yet. And if it is true, I want Miller to have his grubby hands over every little thing in JL haha

My hope for Superman in JL is he gets a little looser and has some fun. Shrug off small arms fire, flash an "aw shucks" smile every so often. Hell he had elements of that in MoS, make that a bigger part of his personality going forward.
I'm only speculating but I think you will see a more traditional Supes in JL. I really hope they don't reboot anything and follow through on their plans. Stick with it and I think their faith in the darker tone and seriousness of the universe will be rewarded. Bedides, Flash and Cyborg will add plenty of lighthearted fun come JL.

Because when he got his ring initially had no idea how it worked because the ring was messed up. He tried to use it to save himself and the ring ran out of charge and died. He ended up grabbing a gun to protect himself and held onto it as a backup. B'dg made fun of him, but in made sense in the story and was used to good effect when he shot Sinestro in the face in the Deadzone.

yeah I know why, but it just looks funny that he's brandishing it in every shot of him.

Wonder what book Guy will be in. I'd love him to be the JLA's lantern.

Corpsepyre

Banned
One thing I really like about BvS is just how different it is from the rest of the comic book movies. It's less Marvel, and more Watchmen. I love the Marvel films, but having more variety is always great as long as the quality is still good. I don't think Synder is the best director for the Justice League movies, but I hope they don't stop the dark tone he's set up thus far. It's different from my ideal version of these characters, but that's partly why it's interesting.

Yeah, it's obvious that WB wanted to catch up with Marvel (though not necessarily BE marvel), and wanted to hop on the cinematic universe bandwagon that everyone has going. Ideally, they should have focused more on making standalone films and making good ones. However, I appreciate that they're doing things differently than Marvel. We need more different superhero/comic book movies. Maybe, in time, we could get more mature-oriented films as such as Flex Mentallo, The Invisibles, Doom Patrol, etc. Would be a dream come true.

Cooter

Being as we're all fans of DCCU here we really need Suicide Squad to be a solid unique movie. Looking like BvS will fall somewhere between 800-1b which is acceptable but admittedly a disappointment. If SS could pull in 700-900 all would be right going into WW and JL next year.

Even better the 2nd time around, can't wait for the R rated cut.
Absolutely. More emotional the 2nd time around for me. The R rated cut is my most anticipated movie of the year right now.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Being as we're all fans of DCCU here we really need to Suicide Squad to be a solid unique movie. Looking like BvS will fall somewhere between 800-1b which is acceptable but admittedly a disappointment. If SS could pull in 700-900 all would be right going into WW and JL next year.

Since they're working towards a film-maker-oriented universe, i DO believe that we will get a wholly different movie with SS. Even WW. I don't want a head honcho on top directing the tone of the films, if you know what I mean.

Cooter

Since they're working towards a film-maker-oriented universe, i DO believe that we will get a wholly different movie with SS. Even WW. I don't want a head honcho on top directing the tone of the films, if you know what I mean.
Nope. I want the characters to be tonally established and then whatever each particular director wants to do with them is their decision. It's not a dig at Marvel because I enjoy their movies but my preference is a more director focused movie like you mentioned. I want each movie to have it's own unique feel and atmosphere.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Took some pics of the art book to show potential deleted scenes and stuff we might get on the Blu Ray

LQVe4NZ.jpg

fXBEanx.jpg

hr7u4dG.jpg

d7QZE8Z.jpg

r6KwWiY.jpg

wLeG7hc.jpg

This last one is a potential ending spoiler, so click it to view

http://i.imgur.com/6lghYEX.jpg

Alright, so I just saw it for the second time, and I think I'm ready to share my opinions. I'm only going to post my impressions in this thread, though, because all other Batman v Superman threads are run by raging lunatics at the moment. To start off, I'm a huge DC fan. I watch every live-action film they put out, every animated film, I've seen most of the DC animated series (the good ones that is), I tolerated Arrow season 4 and Supergirl (gave up though, cause I value my time and sanity), and I buy every DC game. Basically, I'm a massive DC nerd. With that out of the way, let's get into it.

The film starts off very strongly. The music, the tone, the cinematography--goosebumps. Half hour into the film, I thought to myself, "man, those critics are a bunch of haters", but it's not that simple. I'm gonna break this into likes and dislikes. So here goes.

-The opening sequence is perhaps the most beautiful opening sequence I've seen in a comic book film. It connected with me on an emotional level because Batman is my favorite superhero, and despite having seen that whole thing hundreds of times, I thought that it was very unique and beautiful. Beautiful Lie is a wonderful track, too.

-Batman: Ben Affleck is the best Batman/Bruce Wayne ever put on screen. Affleck was in beast mode. He pulls off both sides of the character with sheer perfection. He's sharp, cunning, brutal, ruthless, and goddamn fucking relentless. Batman's story arc was really well done, and I loved how he developed and changed as a person from beginning to end. Goodbye, dummy Batbale. Your forearm awkwardness won't be missed. I hope Affleck gets to direct his solo film so he can do the breaking in person.

-Wonder Woman: I had my doubts about Gal as Wonder Woman, and I still do. I wasn't impressed with her acting chops or dialogue delivery, but holy shit at
that smirk and the ass-kicking she delivered to Doomsday
. Also helps that she carries herself very gracefully both as Diana and Wonder Woman. Miss Prince was on fire, and this gets me really excited for the Wonder Woman solo film.

-Alfred and Perry: They brought the much needed levity to the film, were well-written, and the actors did a phenomenal job. Good to have Jeremy Irons join us in the sun.

-Henry Cavill: I thought he did a really good job with the material he was given, but man, these writers keep writing him into one shitty corner of misery and sadness. Give me Napoleon Solo Superman. Cavill has the charm and the personality. Don't waste it on this mopey Superman.

-Visuals and cinematography: This is perhaps the most visually pleasing superhero film I've ever seen, and makes most other comic book films look like network TV shows. Snyder is unmatched when it comes to visuals, and it shows here. This is Wallpapers The Movie. Cinematographer Larry Fong did a hell of a job, too. Batman v Superman is a goddamn spectacle to behold if not anything else.

-Action: While not quite as remarkable as Man of Steel, the action sequences in this were still head and shoulders above anything I've seen in a superhero film. The titular fight, Batman's warehouse beatdown, the Doomsday battle--never a dull moment.

-Production values: Out of this world as far as comic book films go. The Batcave, the Batmobile, everyone's costumes, everyone's gear, the sets, CGI, action--WB spared no expense and it shows.

-Soundtrack: Although a lot of the tracks are re-purposed Man of Steel tracks, there are quite a few new ones. Beautiful Lie, Is She With You, and Men Are Still Good are some of my favorite ones. Wonder Woman's theme is FIRE. Batman's theme, although very good, doesn't quite reach the Superman/Wonder Woman levels of greatness. I hope they work on refining it for Justice League and the solo Batman film. Overall, yet another fantastic score from Zimmer and Holkenborg.

-So many iconic comic book moments. I'm not gonna get into this, but if you'e a fan, you know what I'm talking about.

-Dialogue: The moment to moment dialogue in this film is far more organic and enjoyable than that in Man of Steel. Some memorable stuff in there. Good job, Terrio. If there's even a one percent chance that Terrio is a good superhero writer, we have to take it as an absolute certainty.

Dislikes:

-Editing and pacing: Jesus fucking Christ. The first act and some portion of the second act of this film are edited with the finesse of a fucking Superbowl trailer. There is no sense of meaningful transitions. It's just so jarring how one moment there's a scene with a certain tone and the very next moment there is a complete tonal shift. Maybe it's because they had to trim down a 3 hour film into a 2.5 hour one. Maybe it's because--and this is what it seemed like to me--they crammed three different films into one script, and ended up with this mess. It's paced very oddly, too. The first act is a relentless onslaught of plot points. The second act calms down a bit, and feels a little more coherent, but it's still not "together". Only in the third act did the film feel like it had its shit together, because everything that went down was pretty straightforward. I'm looking forward to seeing how much the Ultimate Cut helps the editing and pacing of this film. Right now, it's messier than my commode after I eat a Taco Bell lunch.

-Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor: HOLY FUCKING EDUARDO SAVERIN'S DICKHOLE, this man is total fucking garbage in this fucking role. I'm livid. I feel like ripping a sink off the wall and smashing it over the casting director's head. I have no words for how furious this casting decision makes me. I cannot stand him. He is not Lex Luthor. He doesn't have the build, personality, visual presence, charm--anything that makes Lex Luthor, Lex Luthor. This is a xenophobic, and mostly insane Mark Zuckerberg. Maybe on a later date I'll get into the details, but for now....

yBGg3AJ.gif

-Doomsday: Folks, this here is a naked Ninja Turtle on some high -octane steroids with Cinnabons for brains. Its (I refuse to acknowledge this giant aborted fetus as a person) design is repulsive, its CGI is embarrassing, its origin story and the very reason for its existence are more of an abomination than itself. And what's with that 90s CGI lighting bullshit that it keeps shooting every two minutes? It and Lex Luthor are tied for the worst fucking thing in the film for me. Whoever did the design on this thing: the next time there's a movie gig, don't go to it. Your career is dead; bury it. Consider this mercy.

-Superman: This is the big one. I consider myself to be a Superman fan, and I was one of the people who vehemently defended Man of Steel like a mother does her child. I assured people this was Clark's first day on the job as Superman, and he was still figuring out what he can and should do. He was conflicted, he was lost, he was overwhelmed. He didn't yet know his place in the world, and he was just a young man with superpowers trying to repel an alien invasion. He didn't have the luxury to worry about collateral damage. By the end of Man of Steel, he seems like he's in a good place. He gets closure, he get a nice job, and he seems happy.

Fast Forward almost three years: we see a Superman who's a total fucking downer, doesn't have an ounce of hope, has forgotten how to smile, and just depresses everyone around him. Now, I understand he's under a lot of pressure from the public and government, but to me, Superman is not just about physical strength. He's Superman because he has an iron will. It's his optimism, his ability to see good in the worst of people and the worst of situations that makes him a symbol of hope. Here he is not that. He is a symbol of misery. Initially, I had planned on seeing the film at least thrice, but after two viewings, I'm just tired. This rendition of Superman is actively sucking the energy and positivity out me of. It's exhausting as hell. Zack Snyder either hates Superman, or doesn't get him, or is taking far too much time to develop him into the symbol of hope that we know him to be. Whatever the case may be, I'm unhappy, Mr. Snyder. You have failed the Superman fan in me. I won't be joining you in the sun till you fix my homeboy Kal.

Overall, I enjoyed the film. Enough to see it twice I might add. Probably gonna buy the Ultimate Cut, too. I didn't mind the Knightmare section or the dream sequences. They serve their purpose well. I didn't mind the cameos either. Whatever. More DC shit? I'm in like Flynn. I thought the biggest problem with the film was that it was almost three different films mashed together into one script. I don't blame Terrio, I don't blame the cast, I somewhat blame Snyder, but most of all, I blame WB for trying to play catch-up with Marvel with this rushed disappointment. In my opinion, there should have been more films before this happened. And as much as I enjoyed the Batman v Superman battle, it was never needed. It was there cause it was cool. Poor motivations, unnecessary outcomes.

At its heart, Batman v Superman is a Superman film. It's his journey from being "that alien/Kryptonian" outcast to being accepted as a hero. From being a "godlike being who answers to no one" to "mankind's savior/symbol of hope". But he never gets enough screen time to get that kind of development. This film should have been Man of Steel 2 where Superman deals with mankind's concerns about him, triumphs a threat to mankind, and becomes the hero the people and we fans deserve. Batman was never needed here. What WAS needed was a solo Batman film, and perhaps even a solo Wonder Woman film. The trinity scene was hype as fuck, but I never felt like they had truly earned it. It all just seemed kinda there instead of being this huge nerd-boner moment for DC fans such as myself where three of the biggest comic book heroes come together on screen.

Overall, it's an interesting comic book film that will be remembered and talked about for a while for being different from the flood of safe and formulaic comic book films that we see nowadays. It's deeply flawed, but it has a soul. It's salvageable, perhaps with a good Justice League film. Regardless of whether it's a good film or a bad one, it is not a generic or forgettable one. I hope WB puts Snyder on a tighter leash for Justice League, and hopefully, ensure that all the non-Snyder films are at least competent. I love WB's filmmaker-focused approach to these films as opposed to Marvel's producer-focused one, but there comes a point when they need to step in and say, "son, we need to talk". This review is already too long, and even though I want to talk about some other stuff, I'll stop soon.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice made me feel many emotions. It made me feel joy, fear, sorrow, anger, disappointment, and even hope (hard to believe, right?). As a DC fan, I'd say it's very close to what I expected. As a fan of films, I'm deeply disappointed at how messy this film is. It's a plethora of great ideas mashed together in the most clumsy, haphazard manner. As a DC fan, I'd love to give it a 9/10. As a fan of films... man, I don't have the heart to put a number on this because I know that number ain't pretty.

Dear Sad Ben Affleck,

You will give DC fans an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Ben. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.

Current feelings...

batswing.gif

a916

I'm starting to think theres a reason George Miller was made a producer on JL and it's not bc of his cancelled version.

Doesn't take much to put his name on as producer... it's one thing to have a shout out... it's another to actually put work in.

-Superman: This is the big one. I consider myself to be a Superman fan, and I was one of the people who vehemently defended Man of Steel like a mother does her child. I assured people this was Clark's first day on the job as Superman, and he was still figuring out what he can and should do. He was conflicted, he was lost, he was overwhelmed. He didn't yet know his place in the world, and he was just a young man with superpowers trying to repel an alien invasion. He didn't have the luxury to worry about collateral damage. By the end of Man of Steel, he seems like he's in a good place. He gets closure, he get a nice job, and he seems happy.

Fast Forward almost three years: we see a Superman who's a total fucking downer, doesn't have an ounce of hope, has forgotten how to smile, and just depresses everyone around him. Now, I understand he's under a lot of pressure from the public and government, but to me, Superman is not just about physical strength. He's Superman because he has an iron will. It's his optimism, his ability to see good in the worst of people and the worst of situations that makes him a symbol of hope. Here he is not that. He is a symbol of misery. Initially, I had planned on seeing the film at least thrice, but after two viewings, I'm just tired. This rendition of Superman is actively sucking the energy and positivity out me of. It's exhausting as hell. Zack Snyder either hates Superman, or doesn't get him, or is taking far too much time to develop him into the symbol of hope that we know him to be. Whatever the case may be, I'm unhappy, Mr. Snyder. You have failed the Superman fan in me. I won't be joining you in the sun till you fix my homeboy Kal.

Didn't Cavill say he's not there yet but by JL he will be or something? He's still learning? Kind of dumb to say "it's taking too long" when we've already gotten him in all his hope and glory. I'm fine with trying to tell that story. In the Reeves story, we didn't see ANY of it. He popped into the room and baam, he's prime Superman in all his glory. We got it before, I applaud them taking a different direction.

Anth0ny

It feels weird to be one of the few people that liked BvS. Now I know how all the Man of Steel fans felt :p

At this point, I kinda don't mind if Snyder stays on board for Justice League. But I'd rather they replace him with someone better, like... affleck? If he's interested?

I consider BvS a 7/10. Id be ok with a 7/10 Justice League, but I WANT a 10/10 Justice League, which is something I don't think Snyder is capable of.

The next year is gonna be weird :/

Pachimari

I'm damn curious about Ezra Miller's cameo in here. I wonder if we see him as Barry Allen, or as Barry Allen using his speed or as The Flash? I don't know if I want this one spoiled or if I should just wait until I see the movie for myself on Monday.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
It feels weird to be one of the few people that liked BvS. Now I know how all the Man of Steel fans felt :p

At this point, I kinda don't mind if Snyder stays on board for Justice League. But I'd rather they replace him with someone better, like... affleck? If he's interested?

I consider BvS a 7/10. Id be ok with a 7/10 Justice League, but I WANT a 10/10 Justice League, which is something I don't think Snyder is capable of.

I have this really odd feeling this movie will not be seen as badly as the critics scores show when the dust settles. Because the score is so low, yet MOST of the people on this board and in general agree it's no worse than a 7/10, that big of a gap will sway consensus towards it being "ok". It won't have that 50/50 split like MoS seems to have around here. I guess I just don't know the right example or words to describe what I really mean. Just have this gut feeling.

I'm damn curious about Ezra Miller's cameo in here. I wonder if we see him as Barry Allen, or as Barry Allen using his speed or as The Flash? I don't know if I want this one spoiled or if I should just wait until I see the movie for myself on Monday.
I'm shocked you haven't been spoiled yet with all the threads around here. Try to keep it that way!

Firemind

It depends on Terrio. They're probably not going to tie three different stories into one film in Justice League. The screenplay is the key.

Pachimari

I'm shocked you haven't been spoiled yet with all the threads around here. Try to keep it that way!
Well yeah, I only know what I have seen in the trailers. And then I have read that
Aquaman has a great entrance, that Barry/Flash and Cyborg cameos for a quick moment and that Wonder Woman uses her lasso.
That's all I know.

Cooter

I have this really odd feeling this movie will not be seen as badly as the critics scores show when the dust settles. Because the score is so low, yet MOST of the people on this board and in general agree it's no worse than a 7/10, that big of a gap will sway consensus towards it being "ok". It won't have that 50/50 split like MoS seems to have around here. I guess I just don't know the right example or words to describe what I really mean. Just have this gut feeling.

I understand what you're saying. I touched on it a couple days ago. People on GAF frequent a certain number of sites and boards who are overly critical on particular subjects. Be it videogames, movies, music, or comic books, the type of person who spends a substantial time on GAF is not an accurate sample of the general population.

Ashhong

Just got out. Damn I really enjoyed it. Borderline love. I really want to refute many complaints that people have but am too lazy to look them up. A few parts were a bit pointless, and it wasn't anywhere near perfect.

I will say, as a casual fan of this stuff, i think Superman was done perfectly.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I understand what you're saying. I touched on it a couple days ago. People on GAF frequent a certain number of sites and boards who are overly critical on particular subjects. Be it videogames, movies, music, or comic books, the type of person who spends a substantial time on GAF is not an accurate sample of the general population.
I've seen it twice now, with 3 different people and while they're all comic book fans and video game players, they're not uber nerds like me that spend all day on forums and websites dedicated to this stuff. All three of them enjoyed the movie and were entertained. None of them said it was the greatest thing ever or that it was even their favorite comic book movie, but they were all entertained and liked what they saw. They had a few questions here and there about the plot, but it's not like it completely made them dislike the movie or say it was stupid. They're more in line with the general public than I am, and even I said it's probably a 7.5/10 for me.

I'm thinking about going again tonight, just by myself to experience with it a sold out opening weekend crowd. Saw it Monday night with a Press/Special invite crowd and they weren't very vocal. Then Thursday night at 7:00 I saw it and it was 80% full, but again, with it being a day earlier than opening night and right after work, it probably wasn't the same type of crowd I'd get to experience it with if I went tonight.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Superman's arc in BvS
culminating with his 'death', is quite literally a metamorphosis. With MoS he was in larvae state, at the end of BvS he went into pupa and by JL he'll be fully transformed and start behaving like Superman
at least that's how I think it'll go.

Makes sense since they consider MoS/BvS/JL a trilogy of sorts.

3N16MA

Banned
Early estimates peg BvS at 49M-53M for Saturday. That ranges from a 2.5%-9.5% drop from Friday (excluding previews). In comparison Furious 7 did a 9% drop last year during the same release date and Age of Ultron was flat during the Friday to Saturday.

Not bad.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Honestly the superman of the DCCU feels underdeveloped to me.

Like he needed a "Man of Steel 2" between the first one and BvS.
A MoS2 before introducing Batman and Wonder Woman would've been great. Use the sequel to introduce Lex and Bruce Wayne (But not Batman yet). I think you need a whole movie to establish the Lex/Superman dynamic. Also don't have Superman and Batman fight each other instead do World's Finest esque movie, before JL. Have a solo WW movie before JL too, and then have her interact with Batman and Superman for the first time in JL. That's how I would've done it.

Cooter

I've seen it twice now, with 3 different people and while they're all comic book fans and video game players, they're not uber nerds like me that spend all day on forums and websites dedicated to this stuff. All three of them enjoyed the movie and were entertained. None of them said it was the greatest thing ever or that it was even their favorite comic book movie, but they were all entertained and liked what they saw. They had a few questions here and there about the plot, but it's not like it completely made them dislike the movie or say it was stupid. They're more in line with the general public than I am, and even I said it's probably a 7.5/10 for me.

I'm thinking about going again tonight, just by myself to experience with it a sold out opening weekend crowd. Saw it Monday night with a Press/Special invite crowd and they weren't very vocal. Then Thursday night at 7:00 I saw it and it was 80% full, but again, with it being a day earlier than opening night and right after work, it probably wasn't the same type of crowd I'd get to experience it with if I went tonight.
I know what you mean. I mentioned it earlier but my mom and step dad who are in their 60s loved it. My 85 yo grandpa loved it too. All anecdotal I know but still. Even walking out of both shows people were talking about how much they enjoyed it. This isn't me trying to convince anyone that it's the greatest movie ever and that 90% of show goers adore it but rather pointing out that people are not reacting as if it's a terrible movie after seeing it.

ReiGun

Glad I'm finally seeing this tomorrow. Eager to see what everyone is so fucking angry about.

Like, this movie has fans and detractors alike furious and ready to tear each other apart. I'm more curious than anything at this point.

Cooter

Glad I'm finally seeing this tomorrow. Eager to see what everyone is so fucking angry about.

Like, this movie has fans and detractors alike furious and ready to tear each other apart. I'm more curious than anything at this point.
I'd be very surprised if it made you angry. I think only a very small segment of GAF is genuinely angry but boy do they make a lot of noise!

3N16MA

Banned
I find myself in he same place as I did after MoS. Not the biggest fan of this film but do not hate is as much as critics and many posters on GAF. Some thought MoS was bottom barrel in terms of superhero films which it is not. Seems that many think this film is even worse which it is not (I was actually more entertained by BvS).

hal9001

Banned
I hope we see a long haired supes in JL.

bb4e569a6e585b6824ea9273a558a54b.jpg

Also my quick thoughts just out of cinema:

Just come back from imax screening. Boy where to start. Never have I loved and loathed a movie as much as this in recent years.

Good things first:

+ the first 35 min or so is probably the best of any comic book movie. Period. I so wish it could have carried on like that. Loved the political and philosophical themes. If it had carried on like that it would be nominated for Oscar. Not boring at all.

+ Ben Affleck is just the perfect Bruce Wayne. Born to play it. Batman though is a bit iffy as discussuong it here would be spoiler.

+ eisneberg really gave all he had. Outstanding acting but whether it is the character of Luthor he plays is up for debate.

+ The last 5min. Setting up justice league and cameos for future is just nerdgasm for DC fan.

+ some surprising stuff here that is genuinely new to the CBM genre. Also top cinematography.

Negatives:

- oh man does the final act turn to shit. Its like a free for all. If your thought of age of ultron climax was bad this matches it and then some. Just CGI and incoherent destruction.

- plot takes a nosedive for convulted reasons on batman v superman.

- one particular ending could have been done even better. More heroic.

Verendus

Banned
Early estimates peg BvS at 49M-53M for Saturday. That ranges from a 2.5%-9.5% drop from Friday (excluding previews). In comparison Furious 7 did a 9% drop last year during the same release date and Age of Ultron was flat during the Friday to Saturday.

Not bad.
Age of Ultron isn't comparable due to this being Easter weekend. It would be more unusual for BvS to remain flat. A drop is expected on Saturday with a greater than usual drop on Sunday. That's a solid range though regardless of where it lands. If it actually hits 53m, that'd be considered a great hold.

VanWinkle

Alright so I came into work today to ask my co-workers how they liked it. Five of them watched it last night. I was a little nervous to hear their thoughts. Three of them, who are comic movie/show fans, LOVED it. They kept talking about how awesome it was. Two of them, who don't watch comic movies/shows said it was "pretty good" but they definitely didn't love it.

3N16MA

Banned
Age of Ultron isn't comparable due to this being Easter weekend. It would be more unusual for BvS to remain flat. A drop is expected on Saturday with a greater than usual drop on Sunday. That's a solid range though regardless of where it lands. If it actually hits 53m, that'd be considered a great hold.

AoU is more for comparison sake. Similar preview numbers and Friday numbers so I put it up there.

Verendus

Banned
AoU is more for comparison sake. Similar preview numbers and Friday numbers so I put it up there.
It's probably better to compare it against movies that released on the same weekend for the sake of drops. Easter weekend is going to make BvS's Sunday drop a lot more brutal in comparison to Age of Ultron, and for the uninformed, they'll probably think it indicates terrible legs or something.

I'm more interested in where it stands ten days from now. Depending on how it's looking after the weekend, I figure I'll go with a low range of 2.15 domestic and 2.3 overseas for the multiplier. Domestic would reflect Godzilla which had a lot go wrong in 2014 pretty much everywhere, and overseas is likely going to range from 1.8 to 2.8 in various territories. That feels like a good bare minimum to make an early prediction for where it could end up by the end.

ReiGun

Alright so I came into work today to ask my co-workers how they liked it. Five of them watched it last night. I was a little nervous to hear their thoughts. Three of them, who are comic movie/show fans, LOVED it. They kept talking about how awesome it was. Two of them, who don't watch comic movies/shows said it was "pretty good" but they definitely didn't love it.

Seems like the gulf between audience and critic reactions is going to be pretty wide. Exception being online communities, where people seem to be split down the middle.

Ashhong

I remember someone complained about detective batman not being here. I have to disagree, we had like 5 scenes or something all about that. Can't expect much more in an already packed film.

bryanee

It's probably better to compare it against movies that released on the same weekend for the sake of drops. Easter weekend is going to make BvS's Sunday drop a lot more brutal in comparison to Age of Ultron, and for the uninformed, they'll probably think it indicates terrible legs or something.

How come drops are more brutal on Easter Sunday? Because of church and religious stuff?

Verendus

Banned
I remember someone complained about detective batman not being here. I have to disagree, we had like 5 scenes or something all about that. Can't expect much more in an already packed film.
People complain about detective Batman in the Nolan movies when he's shown doing detective work in both Begins and The Dark Knight. I don't remember The Dark Knight Rises well enough to say whether there was any in there. I honestly think some folks just need everything explained to them, and shown to them, repeatedly for them to accept it.

Edit:

How come drops are more brutal on Easter Sunday? Because of church and religious stuff?
Pretty much.

Sundays usually see a decline as it is, and Easter Sunday just exasperates it further. You do tend to get a better hold on Monday due to that though. As it stands, if BvS holds to a range of 49m-53m, then it's impossible to say how the last minute critical bashing and social media buzz may have affected it since that's a decent hold on the low end, and a great one on the higher end. We'll have a much better idea after the second weekend. If it manages a domestic multiplier of 2.4 by the end of its run, it's safe to say word of mouth is pretty decent. 2.5 or above would be good. Less than 2.4 and you can assume the word of mouth and negative buzz had a detrimental effect.

duckroll

There was quite a bit of Detective Batman in the film, but just not when it mattered most. If Detective Batman went to work after the plot-boom scene, there would be zero reason for him to fight Superman. The evidence is all there for the taking!

Effect

People complain about detective Batman in the Nolan movies when he's shown doing detective work in both Begins and The Dark Knight. I don't remember The Dark Knight Rises well enough to say whether there was any in there. I honestly think some folks just need everything explained to them, and shown to them, repeatedly for them to accept it.

I've always felt some people need to hear "Time to do some detective work" when it comes to this aspect of Batman in films. Then again they'd complain then how they didn't need that and that the film should have just shown it. It's really a damn if you do/don't situation for some people.

chaislip3

Saw it earlier today and gave it some time to mellow.

I liked it a lot. I thought MoS was fine, not great, not bad, but this was a lot better, I think.

Some impressions:

Cavill did fine with the material he was given. I thought he was a lot stronger in the first half of the movie, but that's because he probably had more to do.

Battfleck was incredible. Great performance by Affleck. He is the definitive onscreen Batman imo. I think they nailed Batman's fighting style, too. Brutal as hell. Can't wait for the standalone film.

I enjoyed the Batmobile sequence too. They really did a good job showing that it was as strong as it was fast.

Laurence Fishbune was great as Perry White yet again.

Wonder Woman was badass. When
they united
(not really sure if that's a spoiler, but eh) I got chills.

I think Eisenberg was fine as Lex. I like how he's unhinged and unpredictable, but I think Eisenberg was a little too over the top at points.

The
Martha connection
was pretty neat. Not really getting the complaints about that one.

The Africa plot line could have been cut out, I think. Why not just have the hearings be about what happened in Man of Steel? I get that you have to have that connection that
LexCorp made the bullet
, but it seemed like a waste of time.

To add to that, the editing was REALLY messy. Completely messed with the flow at some points. You'd have some solid pacing going, only to be interrupted by a dream sequence that would bring that to a halt. Could have been handled a lot better.

Overall, I think it's a solid 7-7.5. I think I need to see the extended cut to from a final opinion on it. It gives a solid foundation for setting up the Justice League and the DCEU.

Cooter

This is something I noticed with MoS and now BvS. I don't think it's a question of intelligence but rather ones ability pay attention and not get easily distracted. So many people complained about both movies being hard to follow and being confused about the plot that there has to be something more going on here. Hell, my 10 year old had zero problems following the story and the scenes jumping around didn't confuse him at all. It's interesting and could explain the divisiveness in Snyder's films.

guek

Banned

It's really weird to think Justice League is Nov 2017. That seems scary soon. Maybe one of the reasons BvS turned out the way it did was because it cooked for too long. Maybe the shorter production schedule will actually help more than it hurts. I dunno, it makes me nervous though.

duckroll

It's really weird to think Justice League is Nov 2017. That seems scary soon. Maybe one of the reasons BvS turned out the way it did was because it cooked for too long. Maybe the shorter production schedule will actually help more than it hurts. I dunno, it makes me nervous though.

Hey this is the opposite of what people were telling me 1-2 weeks ago! BvS had a prolonged production period because WB wanted to get it just right! Now that they have the concept perfected, Snyder will hit the ground running and JL can be made much faster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom