• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really surprised people didn't seem to like the Knightmare sequence, especially as it was probably one of the most anticipated scenes heading into the premiere.

I loved it. A lot of people seem to hate it because it is very confusing unless you're a DC comics fan. Also it feels a bit shoehorned in. But man, I can't get enough of it.

Yesterday I was talking to a friend who seemed to hate it cause it all went over his head. Then I explained it to him and he thought it was really cool.

Boke1879

I'm really surprised people didn't seem to like the Knightmare sequence, especially as it was probably one of the most anticipated scenes heading into the premiere.

Visually it looks fucking amazing and I hope in the future we get to see more of that. But I would have rather seen something like that place
after the credits.

When you see it, you'll know why its more disliked then liked.
Actually i thing the scene it's good, just I didn't like it for different reasons. I don't want to spoil it.

Bleepey

I wonder how deceptive that latest trailer was. The first one made Suicide Squad look like a very dark and grim movie which is exactly what David Ayer usually does. I would imagine that it was closer to what the movie is going to be than the Bohemian Raphsody trailer.

Will Smith said the film was very comedic.

Visually it looks fucking amazing and I hope in the future we get to see more of that. But I would have rather seen something like that place
after the credits.
i would've liked it in the beginning, or near it even tho I did love the opening of the movie.

rokero

I liked the knightmare scene jut not the way it was handled/placed in the film, it should have been shorter and placed towards the end, Snyder should have left a lot of things for the extended cut, this was one of them

IconGrist

My only issue with the Knightmare sequence was how it was cut to.

It would have been way better if
they lingered on Bruce falling asleep before cutting to it. As it is it just comes out of nowhere.

Pachimari

Alright good, very interesting. I'm super curious about that Knightmare scene now as well. I'm gonna read the theory article after I have seen the movie, so I'll maybe be able to understand it, because I'm no DC Comics fan, and haven't followed the series. But I love me some DC films and shows.

But I will know for certain when I am in the Knightmare scene right? It's not like I have to look out for it, or that I'll be confused if it's present day or a Knightmare scene? I imagine there's some kind of filter on top of the Knightmare sequence.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Alright good, very interesting. I'm super curious about that Knightmare scene now as well. I'm gonna read the theory article after I have seen the movie, so I'll maybe be able to understand it, because I'm no DC Comics fan, and haven't followed the series. But I love me some DC films and shows.

Do that. Posted it above. It's excellent.

And No, you will know when it hits. Best to read after watching.

Firemind

I just don't understand how
Flash's warning
came into being.
IIRC Bruce falls asleep behind his computer and then dreams about Flash for some reason? Shouldn't Flash be physically appearing before his eyes?

IconGrist

I just don't understand how
Flash's warning
came into being.
IIRC Bruce falls asleep behind his computer and then dreams about Flash for some reason? Shouldn't Flash be physically appearing before his eyes?

I fear this is one of those things you just kind have to roll with. Flash's powers are so goddamn weird sometimes and we don't know to what extent they work in the DCEU.

My only issue with the Knightmare sequence was how it was cut to.

It would have been way better if
they lingered on Bruce falling asleep before cutting to it. As it is it just comes out of nowhere.

Another example of the film's connective tissue deficit, imo. All of 10 seconds are needed to
have him fall asleep, then some weird effects
and it feels much less abrupt.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

But I will know for certain when I am in the Knightmare scene right?
It's not like I have to look out for it, or that I'll be confused if it's present day or a Knightmare scene? I imagine there's some kind of filter on top of the Knightmare sequence.

Trust you'll know, it's basically a "huh... wtf just happened?" situtation.

Pachimari

I fear this is one of those things you just kind have to roll with. Flash's powers are so goddamn weird sometimes and we don't know to what extent they work in the DCEU.

Fuck. Now I expect The Flash to be part of the Knightmare scene. It's probably some kind of "looking-into-the-future" or a glimpse of the Justice League, because the Darkseid sign was there in the trailer.

Oh well, that's what I expect now. I should go sleep, and stop reading this thread.

jackdoe

Another example of the film's connective tissue deficit, imo. All of 10 seconds are needed to
The cut to it wasn't the problem. The scene itself just wasn't effective and contributed nothing to the actual story of the movie. A much better replacement would have been
a repeat of the Martha grave nightmare.

IconGrist

It's one of those things I believe will be in the 3 hour cut. There's so many mini snips all over the place. Like Snyder just cut everything he felt he could get away with to make that runtime.

Corpsepyre

Banned
The cut to it wasn't the problem. The scene itself just wasn't effective and contributed nothing to the actual story of the movie. A much better replacement would have been

It was setting up the future films, I believe. Foreshadowing Darkseid.

I mean...

Look, I'm not gonna say that the various JL (and onward) teases weren't effectively shoehorned in, but they don't need to be as much of a problem as they currently are.

Boke1879

I read that theory and it suggests that it's Bruce's memory from that possible future collapsing into this current timeline. Which gives Bruce the impression it's a dream. Don't know if I'll go with that yet. As you said. Flash's speedforce/time travel powers can get weird.

I read that theory and it suggests that it's Bruce's memory from that possible future collapsing into this current timeline. Which gives Bruce the impression it's a dream. Don't know if I'll go with that yet. As you said. Flash's speedforce/time travel powers can get weird.

Everything can be explained by Speedforce. :p

Pachimari

Okay I'm definitely sure now. That Knightmare scene is a look into the future, foreshadowing Darkseid, and in that Knightmare sequence is where we will see minor glimpses of Cyborg, Aquaman and The Flash all in costume.

I just know I'm 99% on this one. I'll sleep but I can't stop reading this thread while I count down the hours.

12:30 hours left!

jackdoe

I mean...

Look, I'm not gonna say that the various JL (and onward) teases weren't effectively shoehorned in, but they don't need to be as much of a problem as they currently are.
Well that's true. But I feel even with added connective tissue, the scene would have still felt completely out of place. There really isn't much you can do about it outside of flat out removing it. And I think they may have considered it, but it was shot on expensive IMAX cameras so that was out of the question. Only Bryan Singer could get away with cutting a a very expensive sequence out of a movie.

Corpsepyre

Banned

Didn't know much about Flash earlier on. Thought its a guy who runs fast, and then I read Flashpoint....

Well that's true. But I feel even with added connective tissue, the scene would have still felt completely out of place. There really isn't much you can do about it outside of flat out removing it. And I think they may have considered it, but it was shot on expensive IMAX cameras so that was out of the question. Only Bryan Singer could get away with cutting a a very expensive sequence out of a movie.
I think Nolan can too until one of his movies fails to being the big bucks.

Okay I'm definitely sure now. That Knightmare scene is a look into the future, foreshadowing Darkseid, and in that Knightmare sequence is where we will see minor glimpses of Cyborg, Aquaman and The Flash all in costume.

I just know I'm 99% on this one. I'll sleep but I can't stop reading this thread while I count down the hours.

12:30 hours left!

Stop reading this thread! Someone ban this man for his own good.

IconGrist

Huh? That makes no sense and as far as I'm aware has never been a thing that's happened to anyone but
Flash during Flashpoint where his memories of one timeline clashed with the new one. There's no reason (even comic book-y reason) that would happen to Bruce. I just think trying to explain time travel in a movie in any sense gets you in trouble and it's best just to accept what's given, lol. Insert "Speedforce. I ain't gotta explain shit" meme.

ryan299

Everything can be explained by Speedforce. :p

P8tJImV.gif

Once you create a BO hit for WB, you'll get a pass for at least 5 movies. Nolan is set for life.

How many movies have the Washowskis left on their pass? Or are they already over the limit? To be honest, I wouldn't mind them doing a Superman movie but it would probably end ud bombing harder than Green Lantern.

Once you create a BO hit for WB, you'll get a pass for at least 5 movies. Nolan is set for life.
Good point.
He's one on what? 6 movies with BO success, brought back Batman bigger then ever, convenienced a Superman Sequel, couple Oscars awards and Nominations, and also gets stuff done early and under budget.

Still I find it funny how WB trusted Nolan with Batman after his only movies were Following, Insomnia, and Memento. I can understand after watching Batman Begins, but I wonder how much Nolan had to push for it.

Good point.
He's one on what? 6 movies with BO success, brought back Batman bigger then ever, convenienced a Superman Sequel, couple Oscars awards and Nominations, and also gets stuff done early and under budget.

Still I find it funny how WB trusted Nolan with Batman after his only movies were Following, Insomnia, and Memento. I can understand after watching Batman Begins, but I wonder how much Nolan had to push for it.

WB have always had a thing for newer directors and experimental films, and I respect them for that.

jackdoe

Wait...I don't know what movie this is in reference to lol

Blade 3?
Star Trek Beyond. Paramount was seriously considering letting Roberto Orci direct it until they snapped out of the crazy, drug induced state and realized it was a mistake. David Goyer has one directorial credit before Blade Trinity at the very least.

IconGrist

I agree. I appreciate WB taking risks. They don't always pan out, and not even as often as I'm sure WB would like, but when they hit they fucking hit. I'll take that over safe any day of the week. And it's not like they don't have franchises to rely on that will always make bank regardless to keep the money coming in.

onipex

Don't know if it was posted yet but Batman v Superman will be the fourth biggest worldwide opening of all time if weekend numbers hold. Link.
That puts it ahead of any Marvel movie.

VanWinkle

Am now in the theater wth my wife, my dad, two of my brothers, and one of my friends. Very excited. Theater is not packed at all right now but fifteen minutes to go still and people are coming in quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom