• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm not gonna try and guess BO numbers because I'm awful at it, but Squad a lot of novelty going for it that I think will improve audience and critical reception. It's a supervillain action comedy. I can't think of a time I've ever seen anything like that on the big screen.
WB/DC could use a critically and commercially successful film after BvS. It would help the DCCU going into next year.

3N16MA

Banned
I think the lighter tone and comedy that we see in the SS trailers will play well with audiences and critics. Good release date at the end of the summer box office (the spot Guardians had).

Boke1879

WB/DC could use a critically and commercially successful film after BvS. It would help the DCCU going into next year.

Yup and I do hope that SS is received well. I do think it'll be a "fun" movie ;) which they do need I think. It helps build up their world and does cameo batman. I'm hoping they throw us some nuggets about potential solo batman film storylines lol. And then we have WW which a lot of people can't wait to see more of. A trailer done well can bring in a lot of hype. Either way I'm there day one for it.

I think the lighter tone and comedy that we see in the SS trailers will play well with audiences and critics. Good release date at the end of the summer box office (the spot Guardians had).

I wonder how deceptive that latest trailer was. The first one made Suicide Squad look like a very dark and grim movie which is exactly what David Ayer usually does. I would imagine that it was closer to what the movie is going to be than the Bohemian Raphsody trailer.

3N16MA

Banned
Yup and I do hope that SS is received well. I do think it'll be a "fun" movie ;) which they do need I think. It helps build up their world and does cameo batman. I'm hoping they throw us some nuggets about potential solo batman film storylines lol. And then we have WW which a lot of people can't wait to see more of. A trailer done well can bring in a lot of hype. Either way I'm there day one for it.

The little preview we got of the WW film already looked great. The character seems to be getting universal praise in BvS.

All they have to do is make a solid film.

I wonder how deceptive that latest trailer was. The first one made Suicide Squad look like a very dark and grim movie which is exactly what David Ayer usually does. I would imagine that it was closer to what the movie is going to be than the Bohemian Raphsody trailer.

Basically right after that first trailer leaked, Ayer straight up said that people were going to be surprised how funny the movie turned out to be. I think it's more representative.

Pachimari

I'm extremely hyped for tomorrow lol. I want to see Wonder Woman swing the lasso and Batman taking downs goons Arkham Knight style, and I want to see Superman's struggles and how Washington deals with all of this. I'm also interested in seeing Gotham and Metropolis' reaction to Batman coming out of retirement.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm extremely hyped for tomorrow lol. I want to see Wonder Woman swing the lasso and Batman taking downs goons Arkham Knight style, and I want to see Superman's struggles and how Washington deals with all of this. I'm also interested in seeing Gotham and Metropolis' reaction to Batman coming out of retirement.
If this is what you are looking forward to I think you will leave very satisfied.

WhiteWolf

For me personally I'd give it a 7.5-8/10. I'd change a few things but I enjoyed it immensely.
This is probably where I would rate it as well. I expect the ultimate cut to increase my rating to 8.5. Will the ultimate cut include
the entire scene of Batman steeling the kryptonite from Lex Corp? We only see the aftermath, which looked fucking brutal.

Cheebo

Banned
Are you talking about BvS? Because there is no retired or semi-retired Batman in it.

Kaswa101

WTH GUYS. You told me this movie was terrible and broken. I absolutely loved it! Some of the edits definitely bothered me
(looking at you, JL cameos on the PC)
but overall I felt it was really good.

Personally it was like this movie threw the superhero genre on its head and I *loved* that. Where the Marvel stuff was stagnating for me, this absolutely made me excited for the genre again and I can't wait to see what Suicide Squad brings. :)

Reading some of the opinions in here and seeing the RT score over the past few days, I honestly thought this movie was completely broken, but as it turns out, it's just people treating this the same as MoS (which I loved) and making big deals out of little issues.

Is it perfect? Hell no. Is it objectively great? Nah to that too. But it was everything I expected, and more, and I honestly don't see how this movie is so offensive to some people. Even the humour and some of the character dialog were just terrific imo, and the tone wasn't nearly as oppressive as I'd have guessed from the reviews.

Goddammit. I'll never listen to GAF again. :p

a916

Above all else, it felt like a mature, as in something that grew out of, a DC Animated film... which is something that made my childhood. That's why I felt I resonated with it so much.

This is probably where I would rate it as well. I expect the ultimate cut to increase my rating to 8.5. Will the ultimate cut include
the entire scene of Batman steeling the kryptonite from Lex Corp? We only see the aftermath, which looked fucking brutal.

I want to say no just because that's a lot of money to waste to cut something like that.

Also, Beautiful Lie is hauntingly beautiful. I dare anyone to tell me otherwise.

The world only makes sense if you force it to.

Curious to see how the posters in this thread would rate BvS on a 1-10 scale.

8.5. Suffered from editing problems but I enjoyed everything, I got all the motivations and the emotional gut punches resonated with me. Like the intro, damn nearly cried.

jrush64

Banned
I'd rate it an 8/10. The ultimate edition would definitely raise my rating to a 9/10.

I loved the cameos, especially
The Flash's cameo. It was so epic. The nightmare, the way he was reaching out.

Also, Beautiful Lie is hauntingly beautiful. I dare anyone to tell me otherwise.

The world only makes sense if you force it to.

Beautiful Lie made that intro amazing. As in, I've never seen a superhero movie with an intro that epic before.
The Waynes murder was done so well. Didnt waste much time on it.

What was the track that played when Supes was going to stab Doomsday.

T-Rex.

Banned
@ian_sandwell: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice lands with estimated £15.2m in the UK. Set to be biggest Fri-Sun result for a superhero film.

Nice.

WhiteWolf

I want to say no just because that's a lot of money to waste to cut something like that.
They trimmed the Knightmare scene by about 8 minutes I heard and that wasn't cheap to shoot either. I heard this from Jon Schnepp though, might not be true. I remember hearing Ahman Green was cut from the film and he plays a Lex goon.
Just once I'd like a full Snyder film to release as was intended. I guess MoS never got a directors cut, but that might be he started working on BvS immediately.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's made over $420 million which is great. I however don't see it making a billion. I hope it does though. Next week will be the real making or breaking point.

Going to be pretty hard to miss coming off a $424M opening with no competition in sight for 3 weeks. It'll get to $1B even if WB has to start fudging numbers.

Can anybody explain the
Flash cameo in the nightmare scene? I couldn't understand what he was saying or why he was there?

I don't read the comics so I think I was sorta lost here.

I'd rate it an 8/10. The ultimate edition would definitely raise my rating to a 9/10.

I loved the cameos, especially
The Flash's cameo. It was so epic. The nightmare, the way he was reaching out.

Beautiful Lie made that intro amazing. As in, I've never seen a superhero movie with an intro that epic before.
The Waynes murder was done so well. Didnt waste much time on it.

What was the track that played when Supes was going to stab Doomsday.

This Is My World.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Can anybody explain the
Flash cameo in the nightmare scene? I couldn't understand what he was saying or why he was there?

Flash was warning Bruce from the future through the Speed Force. He said that Lois is the key and that Bruce was right about "him". Who that "him" is though, we don't know. Lex, Clark, Darkseid?

Can anybody explain the

He travelled back in time, presumably to warn Bruce about the dark future we saw in the Knightmare scene. He kept asking if he was too soon, meaning that he doesn't control his time travel ability very accurately and that Batman doesn't know him yet. He said that "Lois is the key". So, if she gets killed, it might start a chain of events where Superman turns evil or gets posessed by Darkseid (a huge Justice League villain, there were a lots of hints about him in the film).

Also, as Wingfan19 mentioned, he says "you were right about him". In the context of that scene, we assume he was talking about Superman but since he came back too early, that was probably a red herring and he was talking about someone else.

a916

He travelled back in time, presumably to warn Bruce about the dark future we saw in the Knightmare scene. He kept asking if he was too soon, meaning that he doesn't control his time travel ability very accurately and that Batman doesn't know him yet. He said that "Lois is the key". So, if she gets killed, it might start a chain of events where Superman turns evil or gets posessed by Darkseid (a huge Justice League villain, there were a lots of hints about him in the film).

To add to this, it felt like that scene was
ripped straight from Injustice, that alternate world

ryan299

Can anybody explain the

P8tJImV.gif

Flash was warning Bruce from the future through the Speed Force. He said that Lois is the key and that Bruce was right about "him". Who that "him" is though, we don't know. Lex, Clark, Darkseid?

Damn mobile.
Okay thanks,
I got a little confused because the
actor they got for Flash had a mustache and I was trying to figure out if that was the Flash or somebody else. Didn't the injustice game had superman go evil when Lois died?

Damn mobile.
Okay thanks,
I got a little confused because the
actor they got for Flash had a mustache and I was trying to figure out if that was the Flash or somebody else. Didn't the injustice game had superman go evil when Lois died?

Yeah, it was pretty difficult to recognize
the Flash
with all his equipment, I only deduced it was him because he does that type of stuff frequently in the comics. They're definitely hinting at
Injustice as well as Darkseid
, they might combine the two. As much as I think it is an interesting story choice, I really hope it's misdirection, I don't want Snyder to have Superman
turn evil
. Considering how depressing he was in BvS, that would be a really poor choice IMO, I'd like to see a hopeful Superman at some point.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

"BRUCE, BRUCE, LISTEN TO ME RIGHT NOW. SECURE LOIS LANE. SHE IS THE KEY TO THIS. AM I TOO SOON? I AM TOO SOON. YOU WERE RIGHT ABOUT HIM. YOU WERE ALWAYS RIGHT ABOUT HIM. FEAR HIM. FIND US, FIND US BRUCE"

Him in this context definitely refers to Superman, nothing else really makes sense.

Boke1879

"BRUCE, BRUCE, LISTEN TO ME RIGHT NOW. SECURE LOIS LANE. SHE IS THE KEY TO THIS. AM I TOO SOON? I AM TOO SOON. YOU WERE RIGHT ABOUT HIM. YOU WERE ALWAYS RIGHT ABOUT HIM. FEAR HIM. FIND US, FIND US BRUCE"

Him in this context definitely refers to Superman, nothing else really makes sense.

Definitely talking about Superman. But we know the larger threat is Darkseid. I'm wondering Superman willingly allies with Darkseid or is being controlled by him?

a916

The New 52 got me into reading Batman and the Justice League comic lines... but I dropped it almost right before Convergence where things got super weird and I didn't like the idea of finding out what was happening in a dozen other comics... but can anyone recommend if I missed anything in 2015? Like is it worth picking up a volume or something?

I'm waiting on the hardcover of American Alien by Max Landis in August.

Simo

Knightmare and Ending spoilers.
Seems like it's more of a set up for the JL movie part one or part two about what can possibly happen and now Bruce needs to find them to prepare for who's coming. Though Snyder has said part of those movies is the JL trying to figure out how to bring Superman back since its only his life-force you briefly see at the end and if they succeed he may not be the same.

The New 52 got me into reading Batman and the Justice League comic lines... but I dropped it almost right before Convergence where things got super weird and I didn't like the idea of finding out what was happening in a dozen other comics... but can anyone recommend if I missed anything in 2015? Like is it worth picking up a volume or something?

All I did was stick with Batman by Snyder and Capullo so everything there was great and didn't spin off into other books, as far as I remember or they weren't needed.

I'd echo the same about recommendations for what to read for New 52 Superman or JL stuff since the early New 52 Superman and JL that I read I gave up on were shite. lol Just wondering if there's a better jumping on point or story line for those?

Dysun

Definitely talking about Superman. But we know the larger threat is Darkseid. I'm wondering Superman willingly allies with Darkseid or is being controlled by him?

Sounds like killing off Lois Lane triggers Injustice Superman to me

Not where I want the story to go, since they've shit on Superman enough

My sister loves the scene and I was just sitting there thinking was this still a dream or did he wake up.

I think/ actually I would have I would have appeticate that scene more if listen better rather then trying to figure out who that was or why that was happening

He's going to be referring to Darkseid or something. It's not Superman he's talking about. It'll be someone who gets close to the League members and Bruce is suspicious but everyone else is all "Nah, it's all good."

shingi70

Banned
I think we're going to see JL footage at comic con, people said we wouldn't get Squad footage either and we did.

Really wonder what Justice League will be coming off of BvS.

Yeah, Convergence was terrible. Are you mostly interested in Batman and Superman or just DC in general? They are doing a major relaunch (not a reboot) in a couple of months so that will be a good jumping on point.

These last few months, I've enjoyed Lois & Clark, Starfire, Batman & TMNT and American Alien. I VERY highly recommend the digital title The Legend of Wonder Woman. It's a stand alone origin story and it's gorgeous.

A lot of people seem to like Justice League : The Darkseid War, I thought it was confusing but it's pretty popular.

Simo

Sounds like killing off Lois Lane triggers Injustice Superman to me

Not where I want the story to go, since they've shit on Superman enough

I don't think we'll get Injustice but it's likely to be an important plot device for the JL movies that Bruce is going to react to and save Lois so that possible future doesn't happen. The scene was just about setting up the JL with a wink of the big bad to come.

Wow, you picked the exact wrong time to drop. Shoulda just skipped Convergence.

You should look into Gotham Academy, Justice League #40 onwards, The Omega Men, Martian Manhunter, Lois & Clark, at least.

a916

Yeah, Convergence was terrible. Are you mostly interested in Batman and Superman or just DC in general? They are doing a major relaunch (not a reboot) in a couple of months so that will be a good jumping on point.

These last few months, I've enjoyed Lois & Clark, Starfire, Batman & TMNT and American Alien. I VERY highly recommend the digital title The Legend of Wonder Woman. It's a stand alone origin story and it's gorgeous.

A lot of people seem to like Justice League : The Darkseid War, I thought it was confusing but it's pretty popular.

I mostly stick with Batman and JL and I should've mentioned I really loved the Green Lantern run, especially the First Lantern stuff. It's hard keeping up with everything so I kind of need to pick my spot. Legend of Wonder Woman is a one shot? Love stand alone stuff, not a lot of investment required.

I mostly stick with Batman and JL and I should've mentioned I really loved the Green Lantern run, especially the First Lantern stuff. It's hard keeping up with everything so I kind of need to pick my spot. Legend of Wonder Woman is a one shot? Love stand alone stuff, not a lot of investment required.

It's not a oneshot, but it is standalone. Definitely look into it.

By stand alone, I meant that it's not tied to the official continuity, so no crossovers or big events or anything like that. It is an ongoing series but it's really worth it. It's a digital series so it's only 1$ per issue, I think the first one might be free on Comixology.

The Green Lantern titles haven't been that great lately, although the Edge of Oblivion miniseries is alright. Probably best to wait for Rebirth.

Curious to see how the posters in this thread would rate BvS on a 1-10 scale.

I'm going to make this as convoluted as possible to highlight how internally conflicted I am about this movie:

The DC fanboy in me that judges this film by itself:
8.5/10

The DC fanboy in me that judges this film in the context of the DCEU:
3/10

The critical audience member in me:
5/10

The non-critical just wants to have fun at the movies audience member in me:
7/10

Kaswa101

9/10 for me.

Maybe it'd change if I watched it again, but damn I loved this movie. Even all of my friends liked it, and a few of us loved it. A few people clapped at the end but it went away quite quickly lol.

Seriously, not getting the complaints. Just tidy up the editing/pacing and it'll be golden imo. Someone here said earlier that the movie has a lot of heart, and I have to agree. It felt so unique in its execution and totally against the norm. I loved it. :)

Draconian

I dunno. I think Suicide Squad will be much closer in tone to the first trailer than the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom