• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
I do like the hints of something big (Darkseid) waiting in the wings. I wasn't sure if WB/DC was planning on using Darkseid in JL. Makes sense that they would go with another villain and perhaps use Darkseid in JL2.

All I'm saying is if the plot don't fit, you must acquit.

In all seriousness though, that's really dumb. I wasn't personally crazy for BvS but I know many DC fans and casual movie goers who loved the film. Some peeps need to calm down with their blind bandwagon hatred. People are allowed to like things.

Nope. Not if you, personally, didn't like it.

EDIT: And it's a weird thing to say, considering how much he defended Man of Steel last(?) week.

Gianny

Love the movie, saw it twice. Second time I understood everything. Can't wait for Director's cut.

I completely understand why Lexcorp would know about the Meta Humans, Batman and Superman. Lexcorp spends a lot more in R&D than Kord, Stagg Queen Industries. Lexcorp probably controls hundreds of companies.

Love the movie and WW entrance with her theme!

Love the movie, saw it twice. Second time I understood everything. Can't wait for Director's cut.

I completely understand why Lexcorp would know about the Meta Humans, Batman and Superman. Lexcorp spends a lot more in R&D than Kord, Stagg Queen Industries. Lexcorp probably controls hundreds of companies.

Love the movie and WW entrance with her theme!

Didn't an in universe interview with Lex mention ARGUS? I can see that be a connecting factor with Suicide Squad.

Boke1879

Brainiac could be the likely choice for JL with it being a recruitment movie as well. Darkseid is definitely the main bad of JL 2, and I hope we continue to get teases about him in these movies.

I also hope the Anti-Life equation starts to get mentioned as we move forward as well.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So, it's clear that
Lex knows Bruce is Batman, right? Otherwise there'd be no point in intercepting and returning those checks with all those notes written on them. Still trying to figure out why Lex needed to do anything to Batman to get him to fight Superman. Bruce was ready to throw down as soon as Metropolis got wrecked. Lex only needed to play Superman by kidnapping his mother.

New Suicide Squad images from WonderCon:

snT4RO7v.jpg

I wonder what they're all looking at in that first shot, they seem pretty befuddled.

lol he's already dead.

He was dead the second he was written in. I literally cannot imagine a more disposable character.

More like he's dead in front of them and they like "who did knot see that coming?"

This needs to happen.

Boomer tricks Slipknot into doing something really stupid to test if the bombs are real or a bluff, and when his head asplodes, he's all "I did knot see that coming."

Somebody groans.

Audience laughs.

A good time for the whole family!

So, it's clear that
Lex knows Bruce is Batman, right? Otherwise there'd be no point in intercepting and returning those checks with all those notes written on them. Still trying to figure out why Lex needed to do anything to Batman to get him to fight Superman. Bruce was ready to throw down as soon as Metropolis got wrecked. Lex only needed to play Superman by kidnapping his mother.

He didn't just want
Batman to beat Superman, he needed him to kill him. To execute him if he needed him to. Plus, there's a suggestion in there that he'd been feeding Bruce's paranoia those 18 months, albeit more low-grade than the checks. Probably as a part of a general anti-Superman propaganda push.

Tabby

Brainiac could be the likely choice for JL with it being a recruitment movie as well. Darkseid is definitely the main bad of JL 2, and I hope we continue to get teases about him in these movies.

I also hope the Anti-Life equation starts to get mentioned as we move forward as well.

With all the teases we had for Darkseid I want to say Darkseid is for JL1. Save Brainiac for MOS2.

a916

Still think with JL it's too soon for him. Maybe a Vandal Savage? I wonder if they'll have Bats put members of the JL in his rogue gallery and how to stop them?

They could follow the formula for any origin story...put the focus on the rounding up and uniting the JL with a pushover or less developed villain.

No point pulling out the ace card already in Darkseid.

a916

Rob Liefeld compares BVS defenders to the OJ Jury?

He's convinced it's a dumb film... weird that he's okay with people have different opinions but he's like "like this dumb piss poor film" but don't you dare have an opinion that says it's better than "dumb piss poor" because then you're wrong...

... uh okay. Talk about ignorance.

Pachimari

There's already posts on the last few pages that should have been spoiler-tagged in the first place, specifically about The Flash. Or maybe I'm just too sensitive being 9 hours from seeing this movie or having still not fallen asleep (because there's a noisy helicopter flying right outside my window).

He's convinced it's a dumb film... weird that he's okay with people have different opinions but he's like "like this dumb piss poor film" but don't you dare have an opinion that says it's better than "dumb piss poor" because then you're wrong...

... uh okay. Talk about ignorance.

It's also worth noting that this is especially funny coming from Rob Liefeld.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
There's already posts on the last few pages that should have been spoiler-tagged in the first place, specifically about The Flash. Or maybe I'm just too sensitive being 9 hours from seeing this movie or having still not fallen asleep (because there's a noisy helicopter flying right outside my window).
Turn off the computer. Put down the phone. You know what must be done sir.

VanWinkle

WOW. I was blown away. I don't know if it was the criticisms or what, but it exceeded all of my expectations.

I was a little worried since I didn't really like Man of Steel, but I loved it so much.

IconGrist

Some of these complaints are really starting to piss me off, lol. I need to stay out of that spoiler thread. I try to remain somewhat civil in these discussions but sometimes I just want to lash out. Ugh.

I never went to any of the threads other then this one, what exactly is happening over there?

negativity, worst movie ever, people that have been hating on the movie since it was announced literally posting more than fans of the movie.

Hell, one dude made his account just to post in BvS threads. It's absurd.

The worst thing is they'll do the same thing to JL.

ReiGun

Home. Ate dinner. Time to share.

You ever meet someone who you know has tons of awesome stories to tell, but is really bad at telling them? Maybe you have a friend like that. Maybe you are the friend like that. I know I am.

Zack Snyder is that friend too.

A friend of mine put it well on facebook: "It's a movie I liked that could have been a movie I loved." The pieces are all there, and do their jobs well enough. The plot, story, and character beats are there. The actors are good to great in their roles.

However, the editing and pacing just fail to bring it together into a cohesive whole. The first half is so dense with so many things happening, and the movie does not transition well between them or give the audience much time to recover and take it all it. The results in the plot feeling muddled or hard to follow because there just isn't enough time to take it all in or understand characters' reactions/motivations.

This also means some things stick out more than they should. Namely, the cameos. They weren't nearly as overbearing as I was expecting, and even made some sense within the plot. The problem they took up time in a movie that really didn't have it to waste.

In the end, I see why opinions are so divided. It's a mess of a film. But, it's kind of a fun mess. I can't say I didn't enjoy myself, or that the people I went with didn't enjoy themselves. Can't say I'm not still looking forward to DC's films, either. What I can say is that I hope Justice League can get the smoothing over BvS really needed.

I say it's a banana/cucumber. (Scoring things is dumb)

Guess I'm headed to the OT now.....See you on the other side, gents and ladies.

Firemind

I never went to any of the threads other then this one, what exactly is happening over there?
basically
- superman doesn't give hope
- batman kills people
- batman brands criminals
- batman isn't world's greatest detective
- lex is the joker
- snyder sucks
- aquaman sucks
- doomsday sucks
- things don't make sense
- snyder sucks

Home. Ate dinner. Time to share.

You ever meet someone who you know has tons of awesome stories to tell, but is really bad at telling them? Maybe you have a friend like that. Maybe you are the friend like that. I know I am.

Zack Snyder is that friend too.

A friend of mine put it well on facebook: "It's a movie I liked that could have been a movie I loved." The pieces are all there, and do their jobs well enough. The plot, story, and character beats are there. The actors are good to great in their roles.

However, the editing and pacing just fail to bring it together into a cohesive whole. The first half is so dense with so many things happening, and the movie does not transition well between them or give the audience much time to recover and take it all it. The results in the plot feeling muddled or hard to follow because there just isn't enough time to take it all in or understand characters' reactions/motivations.

This also means some things stick out more than they should. Namely, the cameos. They weren't nearly as overbearing as I was expecting, and even made some sense within the plot. The problem they took up time in a movie that really didn't have it to waste.

In the end, I see why opinions are so divided. It's a mess of a film. But, it's kind of a fun mess. I can't say I didn't enjoy myself, or that the people I went with didn't enjoy themselves. Can't say I'm not still looking forward to DC's films, either. What I can say is that I hope Justice League can get the smoothing over BvS really needed.

I say it's a banana/cucumber. (Scoring things is dumb)

Guess I'm headed to the OT now.....See you on the other side, gents and ladies.

I am eating a banana right now, they tasty and good for you.

IconGrist

The most recent head scratcher is
young Bruce being lifted up by the bats. A few seconds go by (and I mean less than 10 so we're clear) before Affleck says, "In the dream..." Too long apparently. Way too many seconds. Audiences groaned and moaned. Somehow offended that they were left to see imagery continue on without being spoonfed information.

Firemind

The intro was great. So much better than most Batman origins. Still, should have taken inspiration from Batman: Year One though. Maybe Snyder never read it.

DaveH

Just realized, this shot from the first trailer was never in the movie

KINycvU.jpg
Neither was the horses in the desert. In a weird way, I hope we get not just an Ultimate Cut but everything that was presentable (ideally, the Directors Cut would be the 3 hour version and the Ultimate Cut just EVERYTHING). Remember the first cut of the film being 4 hours or something like that?

I know a lot of it is being dismissed as interstitial and extended action, but we also know whole scenes were cut, whole characters, and I'm betting there more valuable story in that additional 1 hour over the Ultimate Cut.

You'd still need someone to assemble it, but the raw material is fairly strong and ADR a few lines would remove some of the more egregious quibbles.

Wish we had an Injustice 2 coming out soon, don't really have any DC games I want to play after watching BvS, I'm pretty burnt out on Arkham. A shame they cancelled infinite crisis.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Suicide Squad, anyone ever pick up on what this tattoo on Scott Eastwood's character could be?

EBjrFk9.jpg

Trying to figure out if that's a military tat or something.

ReiGun

I still don't understand why saying "opinions on the film are mixed" is so hard for some people. Everyone has to try and create a narrative wherein their opinion is the "right" one.

So bizarre.

IconGrist

I still don't understand why saying "opinions on the film are mixed" is so hard for some people. Everyone has to try and create a narrative wherein their opinion is the "right" one.

So bizarre.

Some people stay in one thread where the majority says it sucks, others in another thread where the opinion is it's awesome and the two don't believe each other when they cross paths.

WhiteWolf

negativity, worst movie ever, people that have been hating on the movie since it was announced literally posting more than fans of the movie.

Hell, one dude made his account just to post in BvS threads. It's absurd.

The worst thing is they'll do the same thing to JL.
It's baffling. That's why I posted that insane tweet from Liefeld, I am in awe of stupidity that's occurring.

Some people stay in one thread where the majority says it sucks, others in another thread where the opinion is it's awesome and the two don't believe each other when they cross paths.

It's weird because usually when people say they like the movie, they say "I think it's good", while people that dislike it are usually prone to hyperbole, "the film is shit, worst film ever", and at the same time it's like they can't stop repeating it. I enjoyed the film but I don't need to convince everyone that it's great.

a916

young Bruce being lifted up by the bats. A few seconds go by (and I mean less than 10 so we're clear) before Affleck says, "In the dream..." Too long apparently. Way too many seconds. Audiences groaned and moaned. Somehow offended that they were left to see imagery continue on without being spoonfed information.

I left that dumb thread when people were still mistified at what happened during the
trial court scene... like either you're an idiot who missed the entire lead up and then also managed to miss Lex spelling it out, or you're being purposefully dense to make the film look bad

Effect

It's baffling. That's why I posted that insane tweet from Liefeld, I am in awe of stupidity that's occurring.

It's about to get a LOT worse now that the opening weekend numbers and world wide numbers have been released along with reports of good word of mouth. Some people were so convinced this would fail and were dancing in the streets in regard to the rotten tomato average. The fact that it didn't fail and is so far very successful and breaking records is causing some people all over to lose their minds it seems.

IconGrist

It's weird because usually when people say they like the movie, they say "I think it's good", while people that dislike it are usually prone to hyperbole, "the film is shit, worst film ever", and at the same time it's like they can't stop repeating it. I enjoyed the film but I don't need to convince everyone that it's great.

This is typical behavior on the internet. If you like something you say you liked it and that's that. If you didn't like it you must repeat it to everyone who will listen and give exhaustive reasoning. And there's a larger audience for that. If you spend too much time detailing why something is good you sound like you're selling something. Detailing why something is terrible doesn't come off that way so it sounds more genuine.

ReiGun

This has to be the case. Everyone is forming their own little echo chamber. Just like this thread seems hostile to people with negative opinions, I don't see any reason to go into the RT thread if you liked the movie.

Cooter

Yeah, that made me laugh. Dude claims that his theater was so displeased with a minor seen that he couldn't hear the dialog with their loud groans and complaints.

a916

Yeah, that made me laugh. Dude claims that his theater was so displeased with a minor seen that he couldn't hear the dialog with their loud groans and complaints.

Well in my theater, 30 people flat out walked out yelling
"WHY IS BATMAN FLYING WITH BATS?! Why can't they explain anything" but then they walked back to their seats once he said it was a dream.

True story.

Cooter

"WHY IS BATMAN FLYING WITH BATS?! Why can't they explain anything" but then they walked back to their seats once he said it was a dream.

True story.
lol so they got about 5 feet and turned around?

Pachimari

The intro was great. So much better than most Batman origins. Still, should have taken inspiration from Batman: Year One though. Maybe Snyder never read it.
I can see this movie starting with the killing of Bruce's parents and then after that whole origin it will probably cut to the Man of Steel fight were we see it from Bruce's eyes.

I think I'm learning (actually I'm just guessing) more about this movie in one day than the past 3 years.

7:30 hours left. Hopefully I fall asleep soon. It's now 4:30 in the morning.

IconGrist

True story.

lmao

As a side note when I'm jumping around threads that 60 second wait time between posts is super annoying. I get why it's there but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I read and type fast! Stop punishing me!

jrush64

Banned

True story.

Kinda seems like they already had their minds made up on not liking the movie seeing as that was the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom