• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

As a side note when I'm jumping around threads that 60 second wait time between posts is super annoying. I get why it's there but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I read and type fast! Stop punishing me!

One of the perks of being a mod! <3

Oh a more serious note, I think the RT thread will probably be winded down soon. The % isn't going to change much by this point, there'll only be another 20-30 reviews more added at most, and we already have the Boxoffice thread, this thread, the OT, and the Spoiler Thread going. It's a bit much!

Bleepey

Man. I thought I was the only one who ever called him that. Good to see it's catching on.

I heard one other gaffer use it in an off hand way, it might have been you, and I like it way more than Role guy (and I actually like Rope Guy as a nickname). I Hope Shibari Steve wears a scarlet shirt but that will be to on the nose.

Edit: Duckroll can you please put a poll where people can give a score? Witty comments can be up to you. 1-10 scale or 1-5 scale.

One of the perks of being a mod! <3

Oh a more serious note, I think the RT thread will probably be winded down soon. The % isn't going to change much by this point, there'll only be another 20-30 reviews more added at most, and we already have the Boxoffice thread, this thread, the OT, and the Spoiler Thread going. It's a bit much!

We're well well well past "a bit much" when it comes to this movie.

Just realized, this shot from the first trailer was never in the movie

KINycvU.jpg

I think it is, she walks into this hotel lobby and sees... I'm blanking on what exactly is on the TV, but it's one of the film's "everybody stares at the news" moments. I want to say it's
when the senate hearing explodes.

Speaking of Suicide Squad, anyone ever pick up on what this tattoo on Scott Eastwood's character could be?

EBjrFk9.jpg

Trying to figure out if that's a military tat or something.

I'm seeing a laurel, I don't recognize the symbol as a whole though...

The intro was great. So much better than most Batman origins. Still, should have taken inspiration from Batman: Year One though. Maybe Snyder never read it.

Why not use the best origin story instead?

<3 Zero Year

Actually there's no way Zero Year could possibly fit in here, lol. But still! Better than Year One.

jackdoe

Why not use the best origin story instead?

<3 Zero Year

Actually there's no way Zero Year could possibly fit in here, lol. But still! Better than Year One.
While I liked Zero Year, Year One has a simple elegance that makes it very timeless. It is a bit too much of Jim Gordon Year One, but I'll let that pass for one of the most badass Batman scenes ever.

Penguin

It's weird and I could be wrong, but I've never seen a movie (or game for that matter) where the least active thread is the OT?

Like the RT thread is huge
The spoiler thread is big
This is ever-growing

But the OT... just seems so paltry

While I liked Zero Year, Year One has a simple elegance that makes it very timeless. It is a bit too much of Jim Gordon Year One, but I'll let that pass for one of the most badass Batman scenes ever.

"You have eaten well" is cool, but the undeniable Gordon focus and the Selina Kyle: Underage Prostitute stuff detracts from the story too much for me to rank it over Zero Year.

I like it just fine, mind, but the first half of Zero year is an undeniable masterpiece, and the second ain't too shabby either.

It's weird and I could be wrong, but I've never seen a movie (or game for that matter) where the least active thread is the OT?

This is ever-growing

Well, the spoiler thread is a spoiler thread, it's where you can discuss the movie with no holds barred. But the OT is unusual in that the people who hate the movie have a thread (RT) and the people who like the movie have a thread (this one). So there's not much reason to go there. Once the RT thread is closed it'll become the home for the people who want to talk about how much they hated it.

I still don't understand why saying "opinions on the film are mixed" is so hard for some people. Everyone has to try and create a narrative wherein their opinion is the "right" one.

So bizarre.

Comes off as kind of insecurity. Goes hand in hand with obsessing over rotten tomatoes. Reverse is true when RT is brought out to prove a film is objectively good. No high ground here. I'm guilty of side-eyeing somebody for their opinion, but I'll respect that their opinion is their opinion.

guek

Banned
Comes off as kind of insecurity. Goes hand in hand with obsessing over rotten tomatoes. Reverse is true when RT is brought out to prove a film is objectively good. No high ground here. I'm guilty of side-eyeing somebody for their opinion, but I'll respect that their opinion is their opinion.

Going into rants about how critics are full of shit and everyone who disliked the movie are just sheep screams of insecurity as well. I've seen more of that than what you're describing but I haven't been in the spoiler thread since I'm not seeing it until Tuesday.

jackdoe

"You have eaten well" is cool, but the undeniable Gordon focus and the Selina Kyle: Underage Prostitute stuff detracts from the story too much for me to rank it over Zero Year.
Actually, my favorite scene is part of the "They've got him CORNERED. They've got him OUTNUMBERED. They've got him TRAPPED. They're in TROUBLE." sequence.

VanWinkle

I don't want to sit here berating reviews or anything, but a friend linked me to this Mother Jones review and I read through the whole thing, utterly stunned. I'm being 100% honest when I ask: Is this reviewer completely dense? How on EARTH can the majority of the viewing public understand the plot points of this movie but this critic - who's probably seen 10x more films than any of us - harp on about how every single part of the movie was incomprehensible? I'm reading through it, asking, "Uhh..what do you not understand about that?" And then the constant "(yes this was an actual thing)" yet clearly being hyperbolic about what actually happened.

It's just...ugh. Kind of infuriating. If I hadn't seen the movie and blindly followed reviews, I would have read that and thought the movie was 100% incomprehensible with random things happening the entire time and nothing making any sense. The movie was simple to understand. I didn't even know anything about it other than what was in the trailers, and everything flowed naturally. The only abrupt scene changes were the visions but even those weren't incomprehensible.

I've never felt this level of disconnect from a review. Most of the times I will read it and think, "Oh I guess I can see why you felt that way." Not at all on this.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Lord this movie is such a mess. Poorly developed character motivations, jarring cuts, horrible hamming by Zuckerburg, Henry Cavill incapable of smiling at anyone except Lois Lane.... Such a freaking disappointment. Lord save the DCCU from Snyder please...

Also MoS >>>> this mess. I would take a thousand pa kent tornado scenes over this.

Hype completely deflated about this universe for now. Maybe I will slowly start regaining it once we get closer to Suicide Squad's release. I never thought I would say this but I am not looking forward to a live action justice league.

Penguin

I like it just fine, mind, but the first half of Zero year is an undeniable masterpiece, and the second ain't too shabby either.

Well, the spoiler thread is a spoiler thread, it's where you can discuss the movie with no holds barred. But the OT is unusual in that the people who hate the movie have a thread (RT) and the people who like the movie have a thread (this one). So there's not much reason to go there. Once the RT thread is closed it'll become the home for the people who want to talk about how much they hated it.

Speak of the devil

There goes the RT thread

onipex

It's about to get a LOT worse now that the opening weekend numbers and world wide numbers have been released along with reports of good word of mouth. Some people were so convinced this would fail and were dancing in the streets in regard to the rotten tomato average. The fact that it didn't fail and is so far very successful and breaking records is causing some people all over to lose their minds it seems.

I wonder how people would react if they hear that it has the best worldwide opening among comic book movies. Guess it only matters if the movie has good legs, so I hope it does.

WORLDWIDE OPENINGS

1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens 2015
2 Jurassic World Uni. 2015
3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 2011
4 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 2016
5 Furious 7 Uni. 2015
6 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 2009
7 Marvel's The Avengers 2012
8 Avengers: Age of Ultron 2015
9 Transformers: Dark of the Moon P/DW 2011
10 Spider-Man 3 2007

Going into rants about how critics are full of shit and everyone who disliked the movie are just sheep screams of insecurity as well. I've seen more of that than what you're describing but I haven't been in the spoiler thread since I'm not seeing it until Tuesday.

I said as much in my post. Both sides are guilty of behaving badly. Although one point I'd argue, the posts you're speaking to happened after they saw it. In truth, I'm surprised there wasn't much in the way of preemptive defense. I love TDKRises, but good lord, people sent death threats before it hit theaters. Jeez. With BvS, I see the "Critics got it wrong! Film was good!" post time and time again.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

This is ever-growing

I'm not surprised, some people just couldn't wait to hate on it. The critical reception just validated the hate and it cut them loose.

I said as much in my post. Both sides are guilty of behaving badly. Although one point I'd argue, the posts you're speaking to happened after they saw it. In truth, I'm surprised there wasn't much in the way of preemptive defense. I love TDKRises, but good lord, people sent death threats before it hit theaters. Jeez. With BvS, I see the "Critics got it wrong! Film was good!" post time and time again.

I mean...

Yes, both sides can be bratty, and lord knows both sides instigate shit.

But I dunno, I haven't seen anybody who likes the movie accuse someone who dislikes the movie of being morally degenerate. I can't say the same for the reverse. There's a different level of vitriol, when you weigh the average.

jrush64

Banned
I mean...

Yes, both sides can be bratty, and lord knows both sides instigate shit.

But I dunno, I haven't seen anybody who likes the movie accuse someone who dislikes the movie of being morally degenerate. I can't say the same for the reverse. There's a different level of vitriol, when you weigh the average.

Wait this happened? Really?

Lord this movie is such a mess. Poorly developed character motivations, jarring cuts, horrible hamming by Zuckerburg, Henry Cavill incapable of smiling at anyone except Lois Lane.... Such a freaking disappointment. Lord save the DCCU from Snyder please...

Except when he smiled at his mother. And the mother who's baby he saved from the fire in Mexico. And Bruce when first meeting him. And Lex when first meeting him.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Except when he smiled at his mother. And the mother who's baby he saved from the fire in Mexico. And Bruce when first meeting him. And Lex when first meeting him.

Sure he did. Looked like a pretty painful smile though. Must not be easy to smile for this superman.

guek

Banned

WTF, really? Surprising considering how a lot of people turned on that movie.

Yeah

Granted, just the once, that I've seen.

But one dude did feel the need to hop into the spoiler thread to share his opinion that people who enjoyed the movie were basically Trump supporters.

I think I saw that same poster in the RT thread. I think they got it from an especially toxic review.

VanWinkle

I think with the Mexico scene he's more uncomfortable with
the way they're kind of treating him like an actual god
. Speaks well of his character, imo.

Yeah. I mean, in either way, he's looked as somebody he doesn't want to be seen as.

Look, I wouldn't mind a more lighthearted world for Superman (similar to the world of Superman Returns), but the world he's surrounded by in this movie doesn't allow him to be happy in his role of Superman. Yet, anyway.

generic_username

Yeah must be hard for him to smile when he keeps helping people and they look at him like a false god and murderer.

He does not look like he actually enjoys saving people. Same grim face again and again. Does not open his mouth for anything. No wonder people doubt him. The movie could very easily pose the interesting question of how the world should react to Superman without undermining Superman's core essence and making him dumb.

Although the only person he really seems to like saving is the damsel in distress Lois Lane though.

Look at what's so funny about truth justice and the American way? Does not pose the exact same question but does pose a question - Does the world need a hero like Superman? It accomplishes that without deviating from what makes Superman awesome.

IconGrist

I was going to see it again Friday but I think I can make Thursday instead. Maybe I'll do both. Who knows.

Anyway, what is your favorite part of the movie?

Mine was when
Wonder Woman got knocked back and dropped her sword. She looks back at Doomsday and she has this big smile on her face and in that moment they sold me on her. Batman and Superman are like super serious either avoiding death or trying to keep up and Wondy is having a party. It was such a nice contrast to everything else in the movie. I'm so stoked for her movie now.

generic_username

I was going to see it again Friday but I think I can make Thursday instead. Maybe I'll do both. Who knows.

Mine was when
Wonder Woman got knocked back and dropped her sword. She looks back at Doomsday and she has this big smile on her face and in that moment they sold me on her. Batman and Superman are like super serious either avoiding death or trying to keep up and Wondy is having a party. It was such a nice contrast to everything else in the movie. I'm so stoked for her movie now.

For me the opening credits was my favorite. I loved it!

Mine was when

Gotta be when
Wondy dropped into the Doomsday fight. That shit was just too hype for words.

jackdoe

Mine was when

Gotta be when
Wondy dropped into the Doomsday fight. That shit was just too hype for words.
Yep. While I didn't really like the theatrical version of this movie, it was a great commercial for the Wonder Woman movie coming out next year. I am excited for that one.

generic_username

Did it have an opening credits sequence? I can't recall. I thought it just got right into it with Bruce's origin.

Yeah... thats what I meant! Even though we have seen it a countless times it still hit me. Dat music....

generic_username

Beautiful Lie is an amazing track. If it wasn't for Wondy's theme it would be my favorite.

Wonder Woman's theme is great. Also for me Ben Affleck is Batman. I cannot imagine anyone else anymore.

a916

Mine was when

Cavill's acting emotion.
I felt it when he was standing in that fire, I felt it when he said goodbye to Lois, I felt it when he cried in pain when Lex showed him those pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom