• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeTeeCee

Just got back from seeing it. I'll keep my thoughts brief and vague:

While I can see and understand exactly where and why people would take issue with the film, I will say I enjoyed it despite the clear flaws. I had specific problems with it, but not enough to ruin the film for me personally.

It tried to do something big and stumbled during the attempt. I appreciate that it at least tried, instead of just playing it safe.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just got back from seeing it. I'll keep my thoughts brief and vague:

While I can see and understand exactly where and why people would take issue with the film, I will say I enjoyed it despite the clear flaws. I had specific problems with it, but not enough to ruin the film for me personally.

It tried to do something big and stumbled during the attempt. I appreciate that it at least tried, instead of just playing it safe.

Mind I ask what the pros and cons are for you?

GeeTeeCee

Mind I ask what the pros and cons are for you?

I'll try and mark spoilers as appropriate because some of these might get a little specific.

Pros:

The Trinity - genuinely great performance from Affleck, he is Bruce Wayne. Cavill really made a mark as Superman in this film. Gadot does great work with less screentime than the others, and it bodes well for the Wonder Woman solo film.

Visuals - the film looks stunning. Costumes, sets, locations, all sublime.

Plot: it was dense, and it takes a while to get going, but I appreciated how much was going on.

Cons:

Pacing/Editing - it's all over the place. While the inclusion of moments such as
the Knightmare sequence
were welcome easter eggs, they did feel like they were randomly inserted into the film, and with very little narrative justification. They kinda just happen.

Big, specific, spoilers -
Batman killing. Just no. It isn't even a "I have no choice" case like Harvey Dent in TDK, Batman offs goons for no reason at all. While most of this carnage is confined to the Batmobile and Batwing sequences (with the exception of KGBeast - and also the Knightmare sequence, which is allowable under the circumstances) it serves no purpose and is entirely gratuitous. It's just not Batman, no matter how many times he keeps killing on film. If you told me that WB execs over the years demand that Batman kills, I would believe you. It has no place in the Batman franchise. Ever.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Furthermore, I'm ok with DCCU grossing less than the family friendly Marvel movies. As long as there is a big enough audience where these movies make money and I keep getting films like this I will be a happy camper.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'll try and mark spoilers as appropriate because some of these might get a little specific.

Pros:

The Trinity - genuinely great performance from Affleck, he is Bruce Wayne. Cavill really made a mark as Superman in this film. Gadot does great work with less screentime than the others, and it bodes well for the Wonder Woman solo film.

Visuals - the film looks stunning. Costumes, sets, locations, all sublime.

Plot: it was dense, and it takes a while to get going, but I appreciated how much was going on.

Cons:

Pacing/Editing - it's all over the place. While the inclusion of moments such as
the Knightmare sequence
were welcome easter eggs, they did feel like they were randomly inserted into the film, and with very little narrative justification. They kinda just happen.

Big, specific, spoilers -
Batman killing. Just no. It isn't even a "I have no choice" case like Harvey Dent in TDK, Batman offs goons for no reason at all. While mosy of this carnage is confined to the Batmobile and Batwing sequences (with the exception of KGBeast - and also the Knightmare sequence, which is allowable under the circumstances) it serves no purpose and is entirely gratuitous. It's just not Batman, no matter how many times he keeps killing on film. If you told me that WB execs over the years demand that Batman kills, I would believe you. It has no place in the Batman franchise. Ever.

Cool. Do watch it a second time though. I enjoyed it much more then, even though I liked it a lot the first time as well. Threads become clearer and such.

That said, the ultimate cut will hopefully fix the editing/pacing shortcomings, given what Snyder has mentioned in interviews, as it will be a 'deeper dive' into the plot, characters, world building and more.

Raptor

Just saw it for the third time and I'll gladly stand alone with affinity for this film. The score is beautiful and it's in a class by itself visually. I really enjoy the story and as I've mentioned before, this film has more heart than any CBM I've ever seen and it's not even close.

Im still debating if I like it more than MoS, as of now I dont think so but maybe on repeat viewings, I have seen MoS countless times by now.

As it is I will put it up there with Watchmen and MoS as best CBM ever IMO.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Furthermore, I'm ok with DCCU grossing less than the family friendly Marvel movies. As long as there is a big enough audience where these movies make money and I keep getting films like this I will be a happy camper.

This.

So now that most of us have seen the movie: What is your favorite track? Think I'll go with Beautiful Lie, then Is She With You and then Day of the Dead.

GeeTeeCee

Cool. Do watch it a second time though. I enjoyed it much more then, even though I liked it a lot the first time as well. Threads become clearer and such.

That said, the ultimate cut will hopefully fix the editing/pacing shortcomings, given what Snyder has mentioned in interviews, as it will be a 'deeper dive' into the plot, characters, world building and more.

Yeah, I'm definitely in to watch it a second time, which will almost certainly be the ultimate cut version. I'm interested to see how that alters the film.

Oh, and as per the traditional "how did people react to the trailers at your screening?" We had:

Suicide Squad, Eddie the Eagle, Midnight Showing(?) and that Snow White prequel that I can't remember the name of.

There were no reactions to any of these things, because this was a British cinema, where we don't react to shit...

*sound of Rule Britannia playing furiously in the background*

strafer

This.

So now that most of us have seen the movie: What is your favorite track? Think I'll go with Beautiful Lie, then Is She With You and then Day of the Dead.

Well, since I listened to the score way before I saw the movie I will say all the tracks are amazing.

Raptor

This.

This is my world is and will be always my favorite track.

On that moment a tear was in my eye wanting to roll down, I struggled to not let it happen but I coudltn and my wife saw it, rigth there and then she knew Superman was very important to me :)

Love it.

And I totally did predicted how that track will be played and with what kind of scene.

Effect

I'm waiting until the Ultimate Edition Blu-ray comes out before I fully decide if I like it more then Man of Steel. Right now it's leaning that way but there are times when I'd put MoS above it. MoS is a far simpler film and that has it's own set of positives. I've also watch MoS more so I'm more familiar with it.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
This is my world is and will be always my favorite track.

On that moment a tear was in my eye wanting to roll down, I struggled to not let it happen but I coudltn and my wife saw it, rigth there and then she knew Superman was very important to me :)

Love it.

And I totally did predicted how that track will be played and with what kind of scene.

That was great too. "You are my world", Cavill's delivery was just perfect.

ryan299

Mark Hughes just said that WB told him the Directors Cut isn't coming out July 17 like Amazon listed. Maybe they pushed it to release it in theaters instead.

Vinter

This.

Is She With You is my favourite, with Beatiful Lie and This Is My World as runners up.

The WW-theme is pure hype.

bryanee

Mark Hughes just said that WB told him the Directors Cut isn't coming out July 17 like Amazon listed. Maybe they pushed it to release it in theaters instead.

They better fucking not release the regular cut and then release the extended a few months later. That'll be a great way to piss me off.

BadAss2961

This.

I don't think it's my favorite track, but when
Bruce first sees the Wonder Woman pic and "Is She With You" kicks in, I marked out.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I think from now on
Batman will stop killing. He would've branded Lex otherwise.

Nah, fuck that. That rule is just so fucking dumb and makes no sense to me. Keep it going, Baleman did it 3 movies in a row and people were fine with it. If anything Batfleck isn't a hypocrite. At least he does not lie about it.

Agreee, that's how I took that as well. My wife was so upset too about it during the movie.
My sister hated that so much it ruined the movie for her.

It bugged me too because I wasn't expecting it and I felt they should've brought it up in the movie more. Theirs was a quick dialouge explaining it but it should've been a bigger piece for the audience to accept it for now.

Raptor

One of my problems with the editing is that when there is scenes transitions, there aint something like slow scene building, like maybe start from a hill view then enter the house of someone then we can now see what is heppening but no the transition just doesnt happne, next scene is something already happening, like it has a hurry or something lol, like I was like calm the fuck down Zack, there aint no rush.

Not always but when it happened I was like, damn, sometimes was hard to follow, I got used to it in MoS so at the end of the day is not that big of a deal to me but I can see why so many people are complaining about that sort of thing.

Ashhong

One of my problems with the editing is that when there is scenes transitions, there aint something like slow scene building, like maybe start from a hill view then enter the house of someone then we can now see what is heppening but no the transition just doesnt happne, next scene is something already happening, like it has a hurry or something lol, like I was like calm the fuck down Zack, there aint no rush.

Not always but when it happened I was like, damn, sometimes was hard to follow, I got used to it in MoS so at the end of the day is not that big of a deal to me but I can see why so many people are complaining about that sort of thing.

Good way to describe it and I agree. Not all of the scenes, but yea, it would start practically mid conversation sometimes. Just show someone walking into a room or something and it might have helped.

Simo

They better fucking not release the regular cut and then release the extended a few months later. That'll be a great way to piss me off.

The Ultimate Edition is both cuts, which is why it's labeled as that and not the "Director's cut". Apparently the word on release is that the extended cut might be released in theaters first.

Raptor

Good way to describe it and I agree. Not all of the scenes, but yea, it would start practically mid conversation sometimes. Just show someone walking into a room or something and it might have helped.

Exactly.

A flow so to speak, a smooth flow transitions of scenes so the audience dont get lost in the narrative, gives us a few seconds of let it in the previous scene then we can continue with the next.

One of the only things I dont like about this Snyder movies, I love them even with this that in my opinion is a flaw or a bad thing to do in a movie lol.

GeeTeeCee

Thought about sticking around in the spoiler thread before deciding that's something I can happily do without. Those of you still posting in there must have the patience of a saint.

I want to continue enjoying the movie, so I'll probably stay out of any BvS OT thread that pops up from here on. I'll poke my head back in over there when the Suicide Squad stuff inevitably starts rolling.

Raptor

Thought about sticking around in the spoiler thread before deciding that's something I can happily do without. Those of you still posting in there must have the patience of a saint.

I want to continue enjoying the movie, so I'll probably stay out of any BvS OT thread that pops up from here on. I'll poke my head back in over there when the Suicide Squad stuff inevitably starts rolling.

I dont go to any of those threads, hell I dont even go to the OT lol.

IN this thread I feel confident of saying I loved this movie without fear of be called out as someone with terrible taste.

a916

I don't understand how many people they'll get back... the marketing was, so to speak, built up to explode for last weekend. This wouldn't even be on anyones radar unless people start going it's the greatest thing ever... in which case DC will be raked over the coals even more so for making such a blundering mistake.

Corpsepyre

Banned

Stay out of there. I'm doing the same. I have all the discussions here, and it's worthwhile.

Simo

I dont go to any of those threads, hell I dont even go to the OT lol.

IN this thread I feel confident of saying I loved this movie without fear of be called out as someone with terrible taste.

lol I didn't even post over there. I took one look in the OT when it was made to see Schweinehund basically say "Ok if all the stupid memes and gifs are just going to migrate from the RT thread to here without discussion then I'm out" which then resulted in more memes and gifs on his exit. lol

That and within the first couple of pages you actually had members admitting they purposefully were shitposting in the RT and now moved to the OT and had somehow convinced themselves to see the movie to see Snyder kill 2 of America's most loved icons....lol

Firemind

My sister hated that so much it ruined the movie for her.

It bugged me too because I wasn't expecting it and I felt they should've brought it up in the movie more. Theirs was a quick dialouge explaining it but it should've been a bigger piece for the audience to accept it for now.
Batman isn't and shouldn't be a hero for the people. He's a vigilante. Someone who breaks the law to get what he wants. He's the one who does the dirty work. He's the one who tackles the corruption in the city. He deals with things that aren't known to the general public. In The Long Halloween, he rejects the CEO of a bank which causes him to get indirectly killed by the mob. People die. Tough shit. It's a dark world out there.

Batman isn't and shouldn't be a hero for the people. He's a vigilante. Someone who breaks the law to get what he wants. He's the one who does the dirty work. He's the one who tackles the corruption in the city. He deals with things that aren't known to the general public. In The Long Halloween, he rejects the CEO of a bank which causes him to get indirectly killed by the mob. People die. Tough shit. It's a dark world out there.

I disagree. So does BvS, for what it's worth. It's a dark world out there, but we (in-universe we, Batman included) don't have to make it darker.

IconGrist

I don't stay in here because I'm worried about being told I have terrible taste. I keep here because I know most of you and enjoy the back and forths. Why would I spend a lot of time in the other threads when I'd rather be talking with the people in here anyway?

Love these movies or hate them I know I can read what you all have to say and not stare at the screen wondering who hit you in the head.

Raptor

lol I didn't even post over there. I took one look in the OT when it was made to see Schweinehund basically say "Ok if all the stupid memes and gifs are just going to migrate from the RT thread to here without discussion then I'm out" which then resulted in more memes and gifs on his exit. lol

That and within the first couple of pages you actually had members admitting they purposefully were shitposting in the RT and now moved to the OT and had somehow convinced themselves to see the movie to see Snyder kill 2 of America's most loved icons....lol

Jesus Christ lols.

jackdoe

I disagree. So does BvS, for what it's worth. It's a dark world out there, but we (in-universe we, Batman included) don't have to make it darker.
Yeah, it's a clear rejection of brutal, vigilante Bats. Unfortunately, the message gets hurt a little by Zack Snyder's clear love of that kind of Batman.

The problem was you've had three movies tell you that's his one rule and then the general audience accepts it. If you just do your own thing and don't explain it well it won't be accepted by the audience thus having major criticism. If you wanna make Batman do that, go for it, but it explain it well so that we accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom