• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

IconGrist

After watching that deleted scene I'm convinced these movies moving forward are going to cut out a chunk of the general audience.

Marvel has been pretty good at keeping things simple and easily explained even if not given a lot of exposition. I never really catch people saying they didn't enjoy an MCU movie because they didn't know what anyone was talking about. But go into that deleted scene thread and tell me it's not super obvious which audience BvS appealed to.

jackdoe

Yeah, there's pretty clearly a bit of screenplay/director friction there, lol.
Haha. Yeah. If you ignore the visuals and take a broadstroke reading of the movie's plot points, the movie reads like the thesis to a rejection of the Frank Miller characterizations of Superman and Batman. Problem is that Zack Snyder loves Frank Miller.

ryan299

when was the all cast appearence on conan again?

Thursday i believe.

Today on Screen Junkies Mayimbe said all the positive reactions we were hearing were from the 3 hour cut. Until 5-6 months ago, WB was going to release that cut before they got cold feet and made him cut it down.

Also said one of the cut scenes was Superman going to Gotham to investigate Batman.

Thursday i believe.

Today on Screen Junkies Mayimbe said all the positive reactions we were hearing were from the 3 hour cut. Until 5-6 months ago, WB was going to release that cut before they got cold feet and made him cut it down.

Also said one of the cut scenes was Superman going to Gotham to investigate Batman.

Superman or Clark Kent?

Set photos from way back show Clark investigating in Gotham. Recent promo shots show Clark with Lois investigating on his laptop. Have to imagine lot of that plot got sliced out, and why Superman confronting Bats feels sudden in the film.

Firemind

The problem was you've had three movies tell you that's his one rule and then the general audience accepts it. If you just do your own thing and don't explain it well it won't be accepted by the audience thus having major criticism. If you wanna make Batman do that, go for it, but it explain it well so that we accept it.
He literally kills Ra's al Ghul in Begins. He orders Gordon to shoot down the monorail with the goal to stop it from reaching the central water source, but it also inadvertently kills Ra's when he could have easily saved him. Moral code, I don't see it.

ryan299

Superman or Clark Kent?

Set photos from way back show Clark investigating in Gotham. Recent promo shots show Clark with Lois investigating on his laptop. Have to imagine lot of that plot got sliced out, and why Superman confronting Bats feels sudden in the film.

He said Superman but I agree that Clark makes more sense.

a916

Thursday i believe.

I'm going to take this with a grain of salt... there were a lot of good impressions coming from the screenings a week or a few days before the embargo dropped.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
After watching that deleted scene I'm convinced these movies moving forward are going to cut out a chunk of the general audience.

Marvel has been pretty good at keeping things simple and easily explained even if not given a lot of exposition. I never really catch people saying they didn't enjoy an MCU movie because they didn't know what anyone was talking about. But go into that deleted scene thread and tell me it's not super obvious which audience BvS appealed to.
As I stated earlier I hope they keep going. Not all movies have to be simple enough for a 5 year old to follow. There is a larger market out there for lighter less complicated movies but a well done complicated dark movie can still be profitable. But money is king so I expect some changes unfortunately. I'm still baffled how many adults and even professional movie critics can't follow a movie like BvS. It's fairly straight forward IMO and everyone I've seen it with had no issues. The ages range from 10 to 85 too.

jackdoe

As I stated earlier I hope they keep going. Not all movies have to be simple enough for a 5 year old to follow. There is a larger market out there for lighter less complicated movies but a well done complicated dark movie can still be profitable. But money is king so I expect some changes unfortunately. I'm still baffled how many adults and even professional movie critics can't follow a movie like BvS. It's fairly straight forward IMO and everyone I've seen it with had no issues. The ages range from 10 to 85 too.
It's not so simple as following the plots. The problem is when you start chucking in information that leads nowhere, scenes that will have payoffs years in advance, and an erratic flow that you start to lose people. Hell, it happened with Age of Ultron. That had a fairly straight forward story that got muddled with all kinds of issues in practically the same exact way as Batman v Superman actually.

Cooter

It's not so simple as following the plots. The problem is when you start chucking in information that leads nowhere, scenes that will have payoffs years in advance, and an erratic flow that you start to lose people. Hell, it happened with Age of Ultron. That had a fairly straight forward story that got muddled with all kinds of issues in practically the same exact way as Batman v Superman actually.
These people must not be paying attention then. That's all I can come up with. Sure everyone has a few minor questions coming out but to get lost and not understand basic plot points is baffling to me.

You don't have to understand everything. Sometimes a bit of mystery is a good thing.

WhiteWolf

Thursday i believe.

For real? Damnit, what's the point of having director driven films if you won't let them show it? Quit knee capping this universe before it even gets off the ground. Who cares if it's rated R? I want what was envisioned by the people who spent years making the film.

I hope WB knows they messed up and just release it in theaters in 6 weeks or so. I know they want Marvel money, but they should just concentrate on releasing finished products first. I really liked the film as is, but it sucks knowing a better version is out there.

These people must not be paying attention then. That's all I can come up with. Sure everyone has a few minor questions coming out but to get lost and not understand basic plot points is baffling to me.

Basically, there's sort of a chicken/egg thing. If you don't like the movie, you don't try to understand it, which ends up as a reason you don't like the movie.

This is true of a lot of stuff, not just BvS.

Simo

Jesus Christ lols.
I'm not exaggerating either..
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199071216&postcount=300
Despite all of my shitposting in the review thread I will be seeing this at some point over the long weekend. I can get a ticket for cheap and that one review invoking Japan and kaiju films made it sound like a beautiful disaster.

At the very least I can say I was there when I watched Snyder destroy two of America's cultural icons.

lol

Nah. These scenes and other JL members teases and Knightmare stuff, to me anyways, are great DC fan service that fans get right away and while the audience might be a little lost or confused the answers are coming. It's no different than when the MCU started teasing with the infinity stones and Thanos...we fans got it right away but they slowly fed the info and build up towards the big picture for the general audience.

Not a bad thing and it gives people something to talk and speculate about. The downside is you obviously get the other end of the reaction of "WTF was that shit?! It was stupid..it made no sense". All in due time.

DaveH

Thursday i believe.

Yeah we never saw this:
2014-08-26-12.02.40.jpg

1409741643013_wps_39_EXCLUSIVE_Henry_Cavill_se.jpg
I'm guessing it happens before Clark meets Bruce which is why he can say, "I've seen it, he believes he's above the law." Clark probably interviews the
branded guy in jail which gives its extra resonance when he gets photos of that guy dead.

jackdoe

Again, the execution is lacking which why it was probably harder to follow for some. Especially with an awful, awful loud audio mix that made some dialogue incomprehensible.

Now look, I personally didn't like the movie, but I completely understand why people liked it or loved it. It has a unique tone, strong and interesting themes, strong visuals, and some fantastic dialogue and acting. But you have to at least understand why some other people might not like it. You get one minute scenes with two actors where only one of them has dialogue, you get random scenes in the middle of the movie just as the action is starting to get going (which are pace killers), and you have some fantastic ideas that get muddled by all of this extraneous noise. That kind of stuff kills your focus on the movie and can make it harder for those that aren't as invested in the movie to follow it along. Hell, I was super invested and it almost lost me during the Knightmare sequence.

Tabby

Lex was my favorite character in the movie. He's the reason I gave the movie a 7/10 instead of a 6/10.

"Boy do we have problems up here!"

I loved that scene so much but I can't help but imagine how much more awesome it would have been if we got a Lex like Rosenbaum or even Kevin Spacey.

Cooter

I loved this take on Lex. While not my favorite character in the movie he was up there. That speech at the library was full of awesome awkwardness!

Simo

Yeah we never saw this:
I'm guessing it happens before Clark meets Bruce which is why he can say, "I've seen it, he believes he's above the law." Clark probably interviews the
branded guy in jail which gives its extra resonance when he gets photos of that guy dead.

Oh nice find and yeah that makes sense.

Going off the art book and souvenir book some of the stuff in there that should or might be on the Director's cut:
  • Lois' story line and investigation expanded.
  • Jimmy Olsen. lol
  • Alfred on the Wayne Property. We see he lives in a trailer.
  • More Daily Planet scenes and more Perry.
  • More scenes with Ma Kent at the farm. Expanded scene with Clark and her at the farm.
  • The Batmobile leaving the cave.
  • More scenes with Holly Hunt.
  • The before mentioned Clark investigation.
  • Expanded warehouse and Doomsday fight.

Hmmm there's more I feel I'm forgetting..

..Hey! That shot in the Comic Con trailer of the riders on horseback...I don't seem to recall that in the movie? Also I remember one of the main actors from Longmire quit the show for a role in BvS but he was nowhere to be seen? lol

jackdoe

He also said one reason it was rated R was bc Batman drops a couple of F bombs. I don't know if that part is accurate.
Bullshit. No way Zack Snyder was shooting for an R-rating.

Going off the art book and souvenir book some of the stuff in there that should or might be on the Director's cut:

• [*]More scenes with Ma Kent at the farm. Expanded scene with Clark and her at the farm.
That was one scene that felt chopped to pieces in the theatrical cut.

Simo

I thought he was perfect as Lex so that's three people.

I'm in the "Lex was great" camp too as were my friends. He was more of a throwback to the Lex in the original comics as the crazy, but brilliant, scientist only they just modernized him for today.

Dude was fucking crazy but that rooftop scene...damn.

Cooter

Again, the execution is lacking which why it was probably harder to follow for some. Especially with an awful, awful loud audio mix that made some dialogue incomprehensible.

Now look, I personally didn't like the movie, but I completely understand why people liked it or loved it. It has a unique tone, strong and interesting themes, strong visuals, and some fantastic dialogue and acting. But you have to at least understand why some other people might not like it. You get one minute scenes with two actors where only one of them has dialogue, you get random scenes in the middle of the movie just as the action is starting to get going (which are pace killers), and you have some fantastic ideas that get muddled by all of this extraneous noise. That kind of stuff kills your focus on the movie and can make it harder for those that aren't as invested in the movie to follow it along. Hell, I was super invested and it almost lost me during the Knightmare sequence.
No I understand why. I think Poodle put it best:

Basically, there's sort of a chicken/egg thing. If you don't like the movie, you don't try to understand it, which ends up as a reason you don't like the movie.

This is true of a lot of stuff, not just BvS.

Simo

Kind of having my mind blown right now flipping through the pages of my copy of The Dark Knight Returns. I haven't read it in a while so seeing that Snyder
replicated the Wayne family's death panel for panel from Thomas clenching his fist to throw a punch and the necklace of pearls around the gun to the "I believe you" panel to scene...holy shit. lol

IconGrist

Kind of having my mind blown right now flipping through the pages of my copy of The Dark Knight Returns. I haven't read it in a while so seeing that Snyder
replicated the Wayne family's death panel for panel from Thomas clenching his fist to throw a punch and the necklace of pearls around the gun to the "I believe you" panel to scene...holy shit. lol

Snyder is nothing if not a fan boy of the material he works with.

witness

I'm in the "Lex was great" camp too as were my friends. He was more of a throwback to the Lex in the original comics as the crazy, but brilliant, scientist only they just modernized him for today.

Dude was fucking crazy but that rooftop scene...damn.

Wife and I loved him. That rooftop scene is my favorite scene in the entire movie. It's dynamite.
When hes throwing those pictures at Superman, goddamn! Martha Martha Martha.

DaveH

• Lois' story line and investigation expanded.
  • Jimmy Olsen. lol
  • Alfred on the Wayne Property. We see he lives in a trailer.
  • More Daily Planet scenes and more Perry.
  • More scenes with Ma Kent at the farm. Expanded scene with Clark and her at the farm.
  • The Batmobile leaving the cave.
  • More scenes with Holly Hunt.
  • The before mentioned Clark investigation.
  • Expanded warehouse and Doomsday fight.

Hmmm there's more I feel I'm forgetting..

..Hey! That shot in the Comic Con trailer of the riders on horseback...I don't seem to recall that in the movie? Also I remember one of the main actors from Longmire quit the show for a role in BvS but he was nowhere to be seen? lol
  • Right we have Jenna Malone,
  • in the artbook there's that epic shot of Superman blowing through a wall, debris everywhere, and it isn't in the film... so I think there were even more action beats to the title fight which they cut either for time or character.
  • There's a picture of Lois over Clark shirtless in bed.
I want all the footage all of it!

DaveH

I'd swap [Knightmare] for that cut scene in a heartbeat. Much, MUCH better integrated Darkseid tease.
100% The movie makes a ton more sense that way and I bet that was how it was originally structured but someone said there's too much Lex, too early, and all at once.

We see Lex
take Zod's fingerprints
with clear intentions but doesn't revisit them for almost a HOUR! Not until AFTER the
Kryptonite is stolen and after the bombing
, even though it makes so much more sense BEFORE. If it is before then it justifies a ton of the subsequent behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom