• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Lex, under the provision that he
develops into a more traditional Lex after jail time. I liked Morrison's Action Comics transforming Lex from a fat slob to a charismatic businessman after he goes to jail. I'd like to see something similar for Eisenberg. His speech fail was amazing in the movie.

a916

develops into a more traditional Lex after jail time. I liked Morrison's Action Comics transforming Lex from a fat slob to a charismatic businessman after he goes to jail. I'd like to see something similar for Eisenberg. His speech fail was amazing in the movie.

That's the one thing that I didn't expect.
I was convinced his weird quirky persona was public. Once he was away from the public eye, he was cold and ruthless and calm. But I do like this idea too, even though I enjoyed his quirkyness in the movie. Think Social Network deposition scene... that's how cold I want him to be.

strafer

Although the cameos were introduced kinda weirdly I could not help but to get all giddy seeing them, especially The Flash appearing before Bruce...

That's the one thing that I didn't expect.
I was convinced his weird quirky persona was public. Once he was away from the public eye, he was cold and ruthless and calm. But I do like this idea too, even though I enjoyed his quirkyness in the movie. Think Social Network deposition scene... that's how cold I want him to be.

Honestly, he's still definitely got a
public face and a private one. The party, that's the Lex the world is familiar with, the unbelievably awkward smart guy people put up with because he's got some great ideas and donates lots of money to fashionable causes. The private Lex, that's the guy force feeding Senators candy and dominating Superman. The awkwardness peels away and you see a different kind of... strangeness, madness. They might end up transitioning him into the Lex people are more familiar with, but it isn't necessary, IMO. Nor would it be an easy or believable change.

a916

public face and a private one. The party, that's the Lex the world is familiar with, the unbelievably awkward smart guy people put up with because he's got some great ideas and donates lots of money to fashionable causes. The private Lex, that's the guy force feeding Senators candy and dominating Superman. The awkwardness peels away and you see a different kind of... strangeness, madness. They might end up transitioning him into the Lex people are more familiar with, but it isn't necessary, IMO. Nor would it be an easy or believable change.

I hate that you just sold me on the idea on him... I'm buying with you're selling.

I like how Lex has a real problem with people touching him. He has like a mini freak out.

Yeah, but man, he loves touching people.
Feeding the Senator that candy, he grazes his lips, and Superman when he's dropping those pictures, he brushes his hair...
it's a control thing, probably from
the abuse

He really does feel like a combination of modern Lex and golden age Lex if we're being honest.

Has the misguided philosophical ideals of the former with the insane scientist personality of the latter.

He really does feel like a combination of modern Lex and golden age Lex if we're being honest.

Has the misguided philosophical ideals of the former with the insane scientist personality of the latter.

Good way to look at it. He is very mad-science-y. Imagine this Lex yelling about how "It's alive, it's aliiiiiive!" during a thunderstorm.

When he puts candy in a guy's mouth I was like wtf this guy is deranged.

Not just a guy, that was a sitting United States Senator.

I loved that scene. It's so fucked up.

a916

lol and the critics are taking bets if Jesse shows up in person next year for his razzie.. smh.

It's weird that there's some writers that can't distinguish between performance and direction.

If they're seriously talking about a razzie, hang it up and choose a different profession.

It's the same with people calling it the worst thing every with no redeemable parts. If you need to resort to fanboyish hyperbole and have trouble using words to articulate something intelligent then I think you're in the wrong profession.

ryan299

Deadline
Warner Bros.’ Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice might come up $3.7M million short of breaking even in its global theatrical run. However, the first title in DC features 2.0., which was blasted by critics with a 29% Rotten score and given a B CinemaScore from audiences, likely will turn a minimum profit of $207.9M once all revenue streams are accounted. Financial analysts today assembled a bare-minimum projection for the Zack Snyder movie, which is projected to turn in a domestic B.O. of $375M (2.25 times its $166M FSS) and a global take of $925M.

We’ve heard that any B.O. figure north of $800M was considered a good start for DC movies 2.0. Warner Bros provided no comment about BvS projections. Some sources think there’s a possibility that BvS could hit $1B globally, and that’s because nothing is standing in the pic’s way.

Currently, exhibitors are projecting a 65% decline for BvS this weekend, or $74.7M (we heard they didn’t like it, however, if it’s making money, that’s not going to stop them from showing it)

46aDt2A.png

duckroll

Why would Jesse be nominated for a Razzie?

His acting was fine

Because the Razzies aren't serious awards and have never really been entirely about bad performances. If you're in a movie that's universally panned that year, and you play a character who sticks out in that movie, and it's easy to make fun of the character, you have a good chance to be nominated for the award.

Um, it's been a while since I had to do much basic arithmetic, but with a total costs of 598 mil, a total BO of 925 mil, and a total revenue stream of 800 mil, that seems like more than 208 mil profits.

I get that not all BO translates into money for WB, but still. That figure seems to discount it entirely.

I am confused by like everything in this post :p

IconGrist

Snyder has promised Superman's evolution into the hero we all know will be complete by the end of Justice League. I am giving him until then before I say he should get the boot. If he fucks that up then I am all for someone else taking over.

Effect

It's not so simple as following the plots. The problem is when you start chucking in information that leads nowhere, scenes that will have payoffs years in advance, and an erratic flow that you start to lose people. Hell, it happened with Age of Ultron. That had a fairly straight forward story that got muddled with all kinds of issues in practically the same exact way as Batman v Superman actually.

I think there is a difference between a plot point not leading anywhere and one not liking what the end result of it was. Also I don't believe every single plot thread needs to reach the end of the story. They can have their own conclusion. Some can be converged with others and I think that's happens in the film. There are multiple characters here that are leads that start independent of the others instead as a group. The story structure has to be a bit more complex.

I do think the part where people mainly should be confused is the Knightmare scene. Going out of it is confusing. Before that I don't believe there should be anything that should be confusing story wise if one is paying attention to what is being said. Understanding it vs just listening to it. After the Knightmare scene I don't think there is anything structurally that should be confusing either. Now if one didn't pay attention earlier when it comes time for threads to be combined one might have a problem.

I said earlier in my first impressions that the film does ask the viewer to actually pay attention to what is happening. I still stand by that. Like and dislike of what you are paying attention to is a different topic.I do think an argument can be made though saying that is perhaps not a good thing to do. That you perhaps can not ask to much of the viewer. This has nothing to do with their intelligence. More so that you're dealing with a genre where they're not accustomed to and groomed to not give that much attention to what they're watching. The plots generally more straight forward and or maybe just simple. With perhaps just one main character you're starting from a better position since everything would mostly revolve around them.

ryan299

Look on the bright side, at least this'll bring people joy...in a weird way.

Seriously, Justice League starts filming in under two weeks. If something's going to happen, it needs to happen soon.

Superman Lives was cancelled like three weeks before production began. Mayimbe brought a good point up today. If Wb cancels the film or replaces Snyder their stock will take a hit and with them already fighting a hostile takeover they won't do either.

Superman Lives was cancelled like three weeks before production began. Mayimbe brought a good point up today. If Wb cancels the film or replaces Snyder their stock will take a hit and with them already fighting a hostile takeover they won't do either.

Yeah. Now is not the time to show weakness.

Adding a codirector, though, could be a thing that happens. If JL is anything like BvS there's a fantastic movie in there that got left on the cutting room floor, if they can stop that happening they're golden.

rokero

800 million sounds like the right amount of money, for WB to know they have to do a better job but at the same time we can keep getting movies cuz it didn't tank perfect imo

800 million sounds like the right amount of money, for WB to know they have to do a better job but at the same time we can keep getting movies cuz it didn't tank perfect imo

It says 925 mil right up there.

I am seriously confused. Am I just reading the thing wrong?

jackdoe

I said earlier in my first impressions that the film does ask the viewer to actually pay attention to what is happening. I still stand by that. Like and dislike of what you are paying attention to is a different topic.I do think an argument can be made though saying that is perhaps not a good thing to do. That you perhaps can not ask to much of the viewer. This has nothing to do with their intelligence. More so that you're dealing with a genre where they're not accustomed to and groomed to not give that much attention to what they're watching. The plots generally more straight forward and or maybe just simple. With perhaps just one main character you're starting from a better position since everything would mostly revolve around them.
I'm sorry, but the bolded is bullshit. The general audience that has issues with Batman v Superman are the same people who loved The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, along with Inception. They can handle complex stories just fine. The problem is that even a person who can handle complex stories just fine would still get tripped up by the large distraction in the middle of the movie that occurs just as all the plot threads start to converge. And depending on their ultimate feelings about the distraction, they may either be more or less engaged with the material. If they're less engaged, that's when they could potentially start to get lost as they're no longer invested in the material and might truly just not care any more.

That they also hacked away 30 minutes of story material doesn't help either because even the most meticulously planned scripts can't survive losing 30 minutes of actual story. We have short one minute scenes in the film where only one character talks. Scenes that were obviously part of a larger scene but now feel abrupt because of the hack job.

BadAss2961

Agreed. I think that's where we're headed.

I thought Lex's arc was similar to Clark's in MoS in the way that he's not quite fully realized until the third act and his very last scene in the film. He'll be more like the Lex people are familiar with going forward.

jrush64

Banned
The press surrounding this move is just amazing. It seems like it's existence just pisses people off. IGN just posted another article saying it broke records for biggest box office drop

Adding a codirector, though, could be a thing that happens. If JL is anything like BvS there's a fantastic movie in there that got left on the cutting room floor, if they can stop that happening they're golden.

I'll say it again, make that George Miller producer credit actually mean something. Have him hardcore involved. Throw whatever monetary or creative request he has. Let him make as many Mad Max sequels as he wants. The man has earned it.

duckroll

I'll say it again, make that George Miller producer credit actually mean something. Have him hardcore involved. Throw whatever monetary or creative request he has. Let him make as many Mad Max sequels as he wants. The man has earned it.

> Let George Miller do whatever he wants

> Force George Miller to work on JL

Does not compute.

Dead

well not really...yet

if they add a co-director, it will be an uncredited one

Does not compute.

More like "force George Miller to work on JL, and in payment give him total freedom to go nuts after."

I think the neater solution is to just make Affleck codirect though.

if they add a co-director, it will be an uncredited one

Maybe. With the atmosphere being what it is, announcing that they're dialing back Zack a little could be very well received.

That'd suck for Zack, though.

jackdoe

More like "force George Miller to work on JL, and in payment give him total freedom to go nuts after."

I think the neater solution is to just make Affleck codirect though.
He might not have to time to actually co-direct. But they could give him control of final cut and give him the option to reshoot if he feels the movie needs it.

Does not compute.

The man was to direct the original JL movie, and it has been rumored to hell and back he's already a producer. Might as well get him involved more than just title. He man clearly has some interest.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Has Deadline ever done a report like this for any other tentpole?

If I were WB I'd pull the plug on Snyder now. Better take a hit now and keep the brand salvageable than let him keep going and getting into a point of no return.

Push back JL1/2. Focus on solo movies, develop the brand, squeeze in a Batman movie and a MoS sequel. Then do JL.

While I imagine the 2009 George Miller Justice League could be a fantastic film, man, people on the internet would go mad over it. You hear stories about him pushing it further than WB and DC were comfortable with.

Simo

The man was to direct the original JL movie, and it has been rumored to hell and back he's already a producer. Might as well get him involved more than just title. He man clearly has some interest.

LOL George is a terrific director who meticulously plans everything but he's just as guilty as some needing to be reigned in since with Fury Road he went waaaaaaay over budget and over schedule...as in he stopped shooting after 6 months on location and then 12 months later had to go and finish the shoot AFTER getting more money from WB.

If in some fantasy they give JL a co-director it isn't going to be George Miller and that producer credit is bogus.

duckroll

I don't think the producer credit is bogus. If you are attached to a film with a studio, then attachment can stick a long way. Jon Peters still had a producer credit on Man of Steel!

Simo

I don't think the producer credit is bogus. If you are attached to a film with a studio, then attachment can stick a long way. Jon Peters still had a producer credit on Man of Steel!

Hmm that is true. I just wouldn't look to Miller having a active role with the production. Last I heard he still wasn't off the hook with WB.

WB can't keep going with this terrible press. Need to do something now.

LOL freaking doom and gloom folks good lord.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Like what?
Uhhh push back JL1?

Why would they continue with the team up movie with this overly negative press? Snyder is poison at this point. They aren't going to get positive press as long as he is around.

Not hitting 1b with a movie that has Batman and Superman is failure. The other characters in the JL aren't going to push JL into a billion, you can't get bigger than Batman and Superman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom