• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Hmm that is true. I just wouldn't look to Miller having a active role with the production. Last I heard he still wasn't off the hook with WB.

I don't think so either. I think people who are hoping Miller takes over from Snyder aren't being very realistic. :p

rokero

JL is happening its already been set up, all the pieces are in play it makes no sense to scratch it now and leave the story stuck for five years, to go do solo movies they do that and the expanded universe is as good as dead

Dead

well not really...yet
I'll be very surprised if Snyder is removed from JL1. He would essentially be removed from his own film that is 100% written and completed pre-production and mostly cast, not to mention I'm sure whatever contracts he AND his production company has.

I'm not going to outright say it will never happen, but I would be very surprised.

Dcube

Seeing it a second time was much better. Still has issues with the editing but found it much less noticeable and was able to appreciate it's strengths more. There's a lot to process there the first time through but I appreciate it's ambition.
The deleted scene looks cool and I think a few more like that could really patch up a lot of the issues I had.
Currently in Ottawa on business and found an IMAX showing just down the street from my hotel. Never been to one, so I'm feeling the urge to check it out for a third watch.

ryan299

Wouldn't be shocked if they've brought in a writer to work on JL in the last few weeks.

Also on the Collider Heroes show, Frosty said he heard GLC is a buddy cop movie set on Earth. That's a terrible idea and I hope he heard wrong.

Dead

well not really...yet
James Wan on Aquaman:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...mes-wan-aquaman-dc-movies-20160328-story.html

Well, like Zack said, from Day One, Warner has always said to me that we are a filmmaker-driven studio and we want each of the DC characters to have the stamp and the trademark of the filmmakers that they’ve picked to come shepherd it. As I’ve always said, whether it’s at Marvel or at DC, they have that sandbox. That sandbox is in place. So you have to come in there and play within their sandbox. But the key here is to build your own sandcastle. And make that sandcastle yours.

I would love to capture the fun spirit of high-sea adventures, treasure hunts, sea monsters. That’s the spirit that I’m going for. Swashbuckling.

duckroll

Btw, for those who are wondering about Miller's "take" on JL, I was reading the script yesterday, and it opens with Superman in a black costume floating dead in space while we hear church bells ringing and the pans down to a funeral which suggests Batman died. (This is all deceptive.) Then the film flashes back.

Wouldn't be shocked if they've brought in a writer to work on JL in the last few weeks.

Also on the Collider Heroes show, Frosty said he heard GLC is a buddy cop movie set on Earth. That's a terrible idea and I hope he heard wrong.

I heard the buddy cop thing, but not that it's on Earth. It's probably still in prepreprepreproduction, though.

And I do hope that they don't bring in another writer, the script was not the issue here, other than the Knightmare.

BadAss2961

Uhhh push back JL1?

Why would they continue with the team up movie with this overly negative press? Snyder is poison at this point. They aren't going to get positive press as long as he is around.

Not hitting 1b with a movie that has Batman and Superman is failure. The other characters in the JL aren't going to push JL into a billion, you can't get bigger than Batman and Superman.

The movie could still hit 1b. It's been 3 days and we're about halfway there.

If you're feeling gloomy now, firing Snyder and pushing back Justice League is the type of quick overreaction that'll really give credence to doomsday scenarios for DC. The internet would flip the hell out with no guarantee at all of there being a payoff in the end.

Screw that. Stick to the schedule, which is just one more movie with Zack. Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman in between. There is no 'point of no return' for these characters, they'll be fine. Chill the fuck out.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
It's not going to hit 1b, the film is on track to a massive drop off for second weekend domestically. The film also opened in all the biggest international markets and it's not doing so hot.

ryan299

Saw on twitter today that WB issued reshoots on SS to add more jokes after the positive reaction to the latest trailer. Mostly sounded like they want to ensure the film is fun and not super dark like BvS. Didn't sound like it was to make it a comedy.

EDIT: Everybody's favorite, Faraci, was the one to say it in an article about James Wan saying Aquaman will be fun.

I get where he's coming from, and I suspect that there are discussions happening at Warner Bros today about the 'fun factor' moving forward with the DC Movieverse. That Saturday to Sunday drop can't make the studio very happy, and they will be eyeing the second weekend closely (Zack Snyder movies tend to drop precipitously in week two, even more than the standard big drop that blockbusters usually experience). If there's a sense that the sturm und drang of BvS is not compelling for viewers they're gonna want to move in another direction. I can tell you that Warner Bros is very aware of the reaction to the Suicide Squad trailer and they have taken steps to ensure the final film has a tone similar to what everybody liked in that trailer.

Error

Saw on twitter today that WB issued reshoots on SS to add more jokes after the positive reaction to the latest trailer. Mostly sounded like they want to ensure the film is fun and not super dark like BvS. Didn't sound like it was to make it a comedy.
Probably bullshit

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Films go for reshoots all the time, it's not really a big deal given the limited information provided.

When you say stuff like that you have to provide facts so I don't believe it.

Simo

Out of curiosity how did the script for BvS come to be? Mainly ask because Goyer and Terrio are credited and the art book makes it sound like the two collaborated, so it this true or did Goyer write a draft and then Terrio was brought on to rewrite?

Just wondering if there was any article or interview that elaborated on this?

duckroll

Out of curiosity how did the script for BvS come to be? Mainly ask because Goyer and Terrio are credited and the art book makes it sound like the two collaborated, so it this true or did Goyer write a draft and then Terrio was brought on to rewrite?

Just wondering if there was any article or interview that elaborated on this?

After Man of Steel, Goyer and Snyder hammered out BvS together. So Goyer had the orignial draft. By the time the film went into production and after Affleck was cast, Terrio got attached as the screenwriter for the shooting script, so he rewrote it to Snyder's needs. Terrio is so far the sole writer for JL as far as we know I think.

So it goes like...

MoS (Goyer + Nolan story concept) -> MoS (Goyer script) -> BvS (Goyer story concept and draft) -> BvS (Terro script) -> JL (Terrio story and script)

Maybe.

Error

Wasn't the film getting great reception at internal screenings already? Why would they try to mess with that?

Honestly it's up to Patty Jenkins and David Ayer to put DC on the map. I have this feeling that Wondy is gonna be the Iron Man of this universe, although Wondy is not as unknown as Iron Man was before his films, I could see her shooting up in popularity if her solo movie is good, she already got great reception during BvS and the novelty of a female superhero could help her a lot. I hope WB goes all out with her solo film.

rokero

if the movie doesn't reach 1 billion JL will still get made the forecast puts this movie in the black even while under performing, the movie still has mostly good word of mouth, RT Metacritic point to positive fan feedback, WB will definitely make changes maybe be more hands on with JL maybe going as far as a co director but Snyder should stay its his last DC movie anyways

rokero

yes they're doing reshoots for Skwad I saw something about it in my facebook feed, I hope it's not to add more comedy though

ryan299

Wasn't the film getting great reception at internal screenings already? Why would they try to mess with that?

Mayimbe said it was the 3 hour cut that was testing great then the studio got cold feet about a 3 hour theatrical release and made him cut it.

PBY

Banned
Mayimbe said it was the 3 hour cut that was testing great then the studio got cold feet about a 3 hour theatrical release and made him cut it.
Didnt the fan screenings recently also get great reactions? 30 more minutes can't fix this film.

Dead

well not really...yet
link?

The fact Snyder said cuts were very recent would match up the idea that original studio impressions were from the longer cut at the very least.

Error

for suicide squad?

Didnt the fan screenings recently also get great reactions? 30 more minutes can't fix this film.
Considering some of the biggest complaints were the editing and pacing, adding all that connective tissue might make the movie a lot more watchable than it was.

IconGrist

I don't know why you guys are so worried.

WB cannot make drastic changes. It makes them look incompetent.
WB cannot boot Snyder this early. His production company has a decent stake in the funding.
Snyder has also mapped out the DCEU. If he gets booted it has to be revamped which means delays and more delays which leads back to them looking incompetent.
Maybe you are okay with WB going back to the drawing board but their investors will not share your sentiment.

guek

Banned
The movie could still hit 1b. It's been 3 days and we're about halfway there.

If you're feeling gloomy now, firing Snyder and pushing back Justice League is the type of quick overreaction that'll really give credence to doomsday scenarios for DC. The internet would flip the hell out with no guarantee at all of there being a payoff in the end.

Screw that. Stick to the schedule, which is just one more movie with Zack. Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman in between. There is no 'point of no return' for these characters, they'll be fine. Chill the fuck out.

Of course there's a point of no return, there always is. Creative driven studio or not, the bottom line is what drives everything. BvS was delayed an additional year, JL can be as well.

In any case, they wont announce any potential delays or firings until well after BvS has had time to settle. At most we'll hear rumors.

To be fair, this past year has made WB look pretty incompetent already. They've had some great projects but not in terms of profits.

BadAss2961

Of course there's a point of no return, there always is. Creative driven studio or not, the bottom line is what drives everything. BvS was delayed an additional year, JL can be as well.

In any case, they wont announce any potential delays or firings until well after BvS has had time to settle. At most we'll hear rumors.
It wouldn't be surprising to see Justice League delayed a few months, regardless of how BvS performs. Getting it ready for 2017 was always going to be a challenge.

a916

I'll be very surprised if Snyder is removed from JL1. He would essentially be removed from his own film that is 100% written and completed pre-production and mostly cast, not to mention I'm sure whatever contracts he AND his production company has.

I'm not going to outright say it will never happen, but I would be very surprised.

Also bringing in a director for a movie that's suppposed to shoot in a couple weeks... yeah you're looking at a huge delay.

To be fair, this past year has made WB look pretty incompetent already. They've had some great projects but not in terms of profits.

They'll have a difficult time hiding a delay since the movie starts filming in a few weeks... it'll be hard to keep that under wraps.

3N16MA

Banned
Uhhh push back JL1?

Why would they continue with the team up movie with this overly negative press? Snyder is poison at this point. They aren't going to get positive press as long as he is around.

Not hitting 1b with a movie that has Batman and Superman is failure. The other characters in the JL aren't going to push JL into a billion, you can't get bigger than Batman and Superman.

I think Snyder is staying on for JL1 and they won't push it back far enough to make any significant changes. WB has to hope that SS and Wonder Woman garner positive reviews and do well at the BO. Bank on Ben directing a solo Batman film (which I believe will out gross BvS) and the films outside of Snyder's reach do better.

I simply believe they gave Snyder too much control over the DCEU. Handing him Superman, BvS, and JL was too much. He is going to direct 3 of the first 5 films in the DCEU.

I'm not sure he makes it to JL2.

a916

WB cannot boot Snyder this early. His production company has a decent stake in the funding.
Snyder has also mapped out the DCEU. If he gets booted it has to be revamped which means delays and more delays which leads back to them looking incompetent.
Maybe you are okay with WB going back to the drawing board but their investors will not share your sentiment.

I've never understood the whole "audience will loose faith" or "makes them look stupid"... I loved this movie and have minor complaints but the audience doesn't have faith in this, like at all. They want to make money, if they were concerned about saving face, Snyder would've been gone yesterday.

Snyder may have mapped out the DCEU, but I have no issue with that. I like his vision and I'd definitely want him on as a producer.

Honestly it's up to Patty Jenkins and David Ayer to put DC on the map. I have this feeling that Wondy is gonna be the Iron Man of this universe, although Wondy is not as unknown as Iron Man was before his films, I could see her shooting up in popularity if her solo movie is good, she already got great reception during BvS and the novelty of a female superhero could help her a lot. I hope WB goes all out with her solo film.

Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman...is gonna be the Iron Man of this universe?

what?! RDJ can steal a film from all the avengers within minutes of appearing. Gal Gadot did fine but didn't show that much charisma here. The biggest takeaway from this movie so far has been Ben Affleck more than anybody else for sure and as expected Batman is gonna be shouldering plenty of the universe between assembling the justice league and cameo appearances in stuff like suicide squad.

Effect

Removing Snyder isn't something they can really do with so many things in motion and invested as said. Think the same. I don't want him removed to be honest. I don't think we'll get comparable visuals or action with someone else. What I can easily see happening is a co-director being brought in or people start breathing down Snyder's neck and everything he does is looked at. Regardless of if BvS does well or if WB wants the stories that have been setup or a lot of people enjoyed the film in the wake of the harsh reviews there can not be another reception like BvS got. There simply can't. WB has to do something to address this and do it fast. Don't know what they can really do but I hope they do it soon to address things before JL production starts.

There are times where I wish I didn't like DC characters more then Marvel characters. I wish I didn't like Snyder's films and style but I do. In doing so it's annoying and disappointing, even a bit draining to see what you like raked over the coals by some or even having to defend why you like something. I'm tired of it.

3N16MA

Banned
I like the visuals Snyder instilled in these first two films. The world he built is great to look at and he is nailing the look of these characters.

Maddocks

Kevin Smith hated this movie. Never thought that was possible.

He said he was enjoying it more the 2nd time around but something happened in the theater so that ruined his 2nd viewing. Because I think the 2nd time watching the movie was my sweet spot, because I loved it first viewing but the 2nd viewing I was even more in love with the movie. So it looked like it was going well for him on the 2nd viewing.

BadAss2961

Removing Snyder isn't something they can really do with so many things in motion and invested as said. Think the same. I don't want him removed to be honest. I don't think we'll get comparable visuals or action with someone else. What I can easily see happening is a co-director being brought in or people start breathing down Snyder's neck and everything he does is looked at. Regardless of if BvS does well or if WB wants the stories that have been setup or a lot of people enjoyed the film in the wake of the harsh reviews there can not be another reception like BvS got. There simply can't. WB has to do something to address this and do it fast. Don't know what they can really do but I hope they do it soon to address things before JL production starts.

There are times where I wish I didn't like DC characters more then Marvel characters. I wish I didn't like Snyder's films and style but I do. In doing so it's annoying and disappointing, even a bit draining to see what you like raked over the coals by some.
Remember, universe concept. If Suicide Squad is a smash hit, suddenly the conversation changes.

It looks to have the 'fun' that BvS lacks, so I think it'll be much better received overall. Some will use that against Snyder, but nonetheless, morale would increase for the whole universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom