• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

IconGrist

Haha, that Flash/Supergirl crossover made me laugh. WB hits two entirely separate crossovers within days of each other. Both have mixed reactions. Both have same issue. Some great scenes amidst a sloppy structure.

Still, liked BvS. Liked F&S.

This whole situation is so heartbreaking for me as a fan, I still feel bad. It really affects my daily mood...May sound pathetic, but that shit is important to me.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman...is gonna be the Iron Man of this universe?

what?! RDJ can steal a film from all the avengers within minutes of appearing. Gal Gadot did fine but didn't show that much charisma here. The biggest takeaway from this movie so far has been Ben Affleck more than anybody else for sure and as expected Batman is gonna be shouldering plenty of the universe between assembling the justice league and cameo appearances in stuff like suicide squad.
I was saying in the sense that she's gonna put the character on the map, like RDJ did with Iron Man. She got universally praised and was probably unanimously the best part of the film, even Affleck's Batman wasn't received as postively because of we know why
Batman killsssss

I never compared their acting abilities. We know RDJ is the superior actor and that's not even debatable.

I'm 100% certain that Wondy is gonna save the DCCU, I'm calling it now.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus, just listened to the Kevin Smith Babbleon podcast and even THEY played the Sad Affleck youtube video for the audience. Gaf is now more famous.

Surprised after that hype gig he hosted for it on CW.

it's really hard to like. conceptually it's on point (I've had more fun talking about it than watching it...) but the execution is a blunder aside from a few amazing scenes and a fantastic batman/bruce and alfred.

onipex

This whole situation is so heartbreaking for me as a fan, I still feel bad. It really affects my daily mood...May sound pathetic, but that shit is important to me.

Might be time to take a step back from it all. Its not that important in the end unless you have some role in the DCU and are worried about your job.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Meh, people don't like a movie. Big deal.

What matters is if you liked it or not. You enjoyed it? Great. You didn't or were disappointed? Better luck next time.

Yager

Banned
I don't know why people are calling for Snyder's head when it seems the film was hacked to hell and back to lower run time.

This. It wouldn't suprise me if the studio had something to do with that. I mean, it's kinda weird that they announced the DC before the premiere.

How common is it to have 2 directors on a film that big ?

I wouldn't mind if they keep Snyder for the visuals and choreography and Fincher for everything else. I don't know, but I kinda would like to see what Fincher does with superhero movies. Otherwise just use Affleck.

Simo

This. It wouldn't suprise me if the studio had something to do with that. I mean, it's kinda weird that they announced the DC before the premiere.

Yeah, it sounds like the Watchmen situation where Snyder fought for the director's cut of that to be the theatrical one but the studio wouldn't have it and wanted it cut down and so compromised: A cut down version would be released theatrically and Snyder would have free reign to work on a longer director's cut.

Kinda curious when the positive test or internal screenings alledged took place since it sounds like Verendus saw this back in January to early February and it was the theatrical cut...?

If only WB had the balls to use the R-rated cut for the theatrical release...

An R rated Superman and Batman movie? Shiiieeeeet it would of made less money at the box office not to mention the question of all that merchandising! lol There were still a ton of kids, just from my showings anyway, that went and saw this.

So did any scenes get you emotionally?

"This is my world" all the way to the end credits. Yeah I got teary eyed. lol

Bleepey

I wouldn't mind if they keep Snyder for the visuals and choreography and Fincher for everything else. I don't know, but I kinda would like to see what Fincher does with superhero movies. Otherwise just use Affleck.

russo-brothers.jpg

Wait a month.

Wait a month.

Doesn't the Director's Guild prevent something like that from happening? I think they make an exception for brothers and sisters but I remember reading that Robert Rodriguez had to quit the guild for Sin City because they wouldn't allow him to co-direct the film with Frank Miller. Does anybody remember that? Unless Zack Snyder as a secret director sibling, I think that's going to be difficult but I might be wrong.

Cheebo

Banned

It's only allowed if it's an established partnership that typically, if not almost always, directs together. You cannot under any circumstance hire two separate directors and dole out duties.

Union rules are in place for the exact possibility you outlined to make sure that never happens,so a director can't be thrown under a bus like that.

duckroll

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. Fincher. If WB is worried that keeping Snyder is going to affect the boxoffice moving forward, Fincher is the last person they will go to. Roflmao.

Cheebo

Banned
Hahahahahahahahahahaha. Fincher. If WB is worried that keeping Snyder is going to affect the boxoffice moving forward, Fincher is the last person they will go to. Roflmao.
It is also absurd to pretend that Fincher would ever being willing to entertain doing a DCEU movie let a lone any super hero movie.

Bleepey

Doesn't the Director's Guild prevent something like that from happening? I think they make an exception for brothers and sisters but I remember reading that Robert Rodriguez had to quit the guild for Sin City because they wouldn't allow him to co-direct the film with Frank Miller. Does anybody remember that? Unless Zack Snyder as a secret director sibling, I think that's going to be difficult but I might be wrong.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...2005/04/why_not_quit_the_directors_guild.html

"At least my Superman didn't kill anyone"

"Actually, I really appreciated Kal's value for life being something he has to earn, by being forced to take one. As a Pantheon of American popculture, Superman should evolve to reflect society for what it is, not what we wish it was"

swap Superman with Batman

PBY

Banned
One of my professors clowned on BvS all morning to 200 students

Smdh....kind of deserved tho

Yeah, its kind of a thing now. If any of you like pop culture/Grantland, Simmons' new venture The Ringer has a network of pop culture podcasts called Channel 33.

The Channel 33 dudes shit on BvS for 12 minutes on yesterdays episode. Understand that this won't motivate anyone hear to go listen, but they're actually really smart and great with respect to pop culture and TV/film.

Yeah, its kind of a thing now. If any of you like pop culture/Grantland, Simmons' new venture The Ringer has a network of pop culture podcasts called Channel 33.

The Channel 33 dudes shit on BvS for 12 minutes on yesterdays episode. Understand that this won't motivate anyone hear to go listen, but they're actually really smart and great with respect to pop culture and TV/film.

The movie being terrible going memetic is probably the worst bit of this, honestly. There's a dude posting in the spoiler thread just to shit on the movie who hasn't seen it yet.

Halcyon

All I know is that I'm all in with BvS and I'm gonna buy the director's cut, and get a little figure for my desk, and maybe a t-shirt to wear in the gym.

That's as much as I can give and it's more than I gave to any of the recent marvel movies.

duckroll

Even if it wasn't he is a director clearly above needing to have to do a DCEU movie of all things.

If he is given final cut, no obligation to include any extra teaser shit, and had a damn good script, I could see him doing a Gotham Central film. Maybe. Probably not. Nah.

RDreamer

Hopping over here now because I'm all in on this DC Cinematic Universe thing. I'm way more excited for JL than I ever was before after seeing BvS. BvS is now one of my favorite comic book movies. Can't wait for the director's cut.

Seeing all this shit sourrounding BvS makes me sad for this planet.

It has me kind of sad too. Moreso worrisome. I just kind of hope they don't fuck with JL too terribly much from whatever Snyder's vision already is.

If he is given final cut, no obligation to include any extra teaser shit, and had a damn good script, I could see him doing a Gotham Central film. Maybe. Probably not. Nah.

"No," Fincher replied when asked if superheroes are too black-and-white. "I think Batman is intensely sophisticated. But when you take on something that can't fail, to me that's sort of anathema to creativity. If you're not being risky, then... It seems to be oddly pointless to go into something where the only acceptable outcome is raging success. All it means is that everybody that's behind every decision is looking to spread the blame as far and as wide as possible. I don't think you can make the wise decision by committee. I joke, but I do think if 11 people agree on anything, it's not worth playing."

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/david-fincher-would-do-non-origin-comic-book-movie-not-batman-or-spider-man#axzz44IpGilps

Based on this interview, I think it's safe to assume that Fincher will be directing either Cyborg or the Aquaman sequel.

RDreamer

Can we all agree that Zack Snyder doesn't get Superman.

Perhaps he does. Perhaps he doesn't. I thought the beauty of the superhero mythos overall was that different writers could have different takes on it, sometimes doing something wildly different to play around with the dynamic. I find the "originalist" stance with regards to comics very strange because, to me, that seems to be the medium that gets the most different hands in the pot, so to say. As far as I understand it, the original Superman was violent and cause collateral damage until that changed in the 1940s. Now which one is the Superman to get? It's the same with almost any superhero. They seem to change quite a lot through different writers, because the writers want to focus on different aspects of the mythos. The writers pull different things from them and then push that out.

Say what you want about your own opinion of Snyder's Superman, but I just don't think you get to say he doesn't "get it." You can't take ownership of that away from him. He owns it as much as any other Superman writer that's ever done something with him, good or bad.

Can we all agree that Zack Snyder doesn't get Superman.

I don't think his intention was ever to follow a popular incarnation of Superman from the getgo (so there was no "getting" that he was missing), but I thought Superman was more in line with his popular incarnations in this movie.
Particularly him sacrificing himself was that affirmation of his role in the world, when he said "This is my World" to Lois. I think his death will be a sort of transformation. He became a symbol of Hope, most of all to Batman.

Honestly I think people would be much happier if they skipped the character development, even though I love seeing it.

For MoS2 director I think Brad Bird or Sam Raimi, though those were my picks for Shazam as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom