• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadAss2961

Zack is the only one who gets Superman.
lol

Zack has a long term vision for Superman. Cavill himself recently said as much in an interview where he talked about this. How he hopes that the universe succeeds so they can continue to build the character and complete his arc.

He was undercooked in BvS though. I need that ultimate cut ASAP.

bananas

Banned
The biggest problem with this film is that Batman and Superman don't appear in it at all. It should have been called Dr. Manhattan v. Murderman: Dawn of Fuck.

RDreamer

lol

Zack has a long term vision for Superman. Cavill himself recently said as much in an interview where he talked about this. How he hopes that the universe succeeds so they can continue to build the character and complete his arc.

He was undercooked in BvS though. I need that ultimate cut ASAP.

I can believe this. I kind of thought BvS made MoS a better movie and him a better superman. I like the arcs that are going on.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
The biggest problem with this film is that Batman and Superman don't appear in it at all. It should have been called Dr. Manhattan v. Murderman: Dawn of Fuck.

Can people stop with the murderman bullshit. So was Bale, so was Keaton in that case. He did it in the comics too.

Can people stop with the murderman bullshit. So was Bale, so was Keaton in that case. He did it in the comics too.

but it's different now!

Really the superficial complaints are just symptoms. If the movie worked better it'd be a way easier sell that Batman kills.
More accurately did kill, going by the ending

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. Fincher. If WB is worried that keeping Snyder is going to affect the boxoffice moving forward, Fincher is the last person they will go to. Roflmao.

It is also absurd to pretend that Fincher would ever being willing to entertain doing a DCEU movie let a lone any super hero movie.

no doubt. but still, fincher batman is my dream superhero movie.

up there with james cameron aquaman (without vinny chase), edgar wright spiderman and stephen spielberg superman.

BadAss2961

So it appears BvS had a pretty great Monday at the box office. Haven't found the source, but saw this in the BO thread.
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice has claimed a top spot at the box office: the biggest Monday in March.

The DC Comics/Warner Brothers film hauled in $15 million to start the week, topping other big openings of Furious 7 and The Hunger Games by $1 million and $5 million respectively.
In comparison to other big comic book movies, Batman v. Superman's $15 million Monday topped both Iron Man 3 and Avengers: Age of Ultron, two summer releases, by $4 million and $2 million respectively.

shingi70

Banned
I don't think his intention was ever to follow a popular incarnation of Superman from the getgo (so there was no "getting" that he was missing), but I thought Superman was more in line with his popular incarnations in this movie.
Particularly him sacrificing himself was that affirmation of his role in the world, when he said "This is my World" to Lois. I think his death will be a sort of transformation. He became a symbol of Hope, most of all to Batman.

Honestly I think people would be much happier if they skipped the character development, even though I love seeing it.

For MoS2 director I think Brad Bird or Sam Raimi, though those were my picks for Shazam as well.

I don't mind the character development but I wish we could have gotten a classic montage of Clark saving people with out getting shit on by the pundits.

I also never saw the counter balance between Clark and Bruce. Clark is the shining beacon and Bruce is the Dark Avenger who feels that they're better off
being feared.

Why? It's the goddamn truth. Not killing is one of the big themes of both superheroes. Always was. Shows how much you know about them.

Just because some shitty old movies did include killing (Burton stuff), doesn't mean it's suddenly ok. And I can't even think of a comic where Batman killed. He didn't kill in Frank Miller's run. Which further demonstrates how pathetic Zack Snyder is, because he referenced TDKR strongly in the movie, and it's obvious he didn't understand it.

Gemüsepizza;199531186 said:
Why? It's the goddamn truth. Not killing is one of the big themes of both superheroes. Always was. Shows how much you know about them.

Just because some shitty old movies did include killing (Burton stuff), doesn't mean it's suddenly ok. And I can't even think of a comic where Batman killed. He didn't kill in Frank Miller's run. Which further demonstrates how pathetic Zack Snyder is, because he referenced TDKR strongly in the movie, and it's obvious he didn't understand it.

He killed waaaaay back in the beginning.

But more to the point, what he's saying is that live action Batman has always had a body count. Burton, more than the others, but Baleman killed too. Not to mention that this is, as, again, a different take on the character, allowed to operate in a different way. Batman in this movie is filled with self-loathing. He literally regards himself as little better than the people he fights. The point of the movie is bringing him back to the hero he was before he was broken. Rejecting TDKR.

VanWinkle

I can believe this. I kind of thought BvS made MoS a better movie and him a better superman. I like the arcs that are going on.

I agree. I didn't really like MoS much, but I LOVED BvS and I thought they made Superman seem more compelling of a character in it. I will have to rewatch MoS again soon because I feel like I will enjoy it more.

jackdoe

But more to the point, what he's saying is that live action Batman has always had a body count. Burton, more than the others, but Baleman killed too. Not to mention that this is, as, again, a different take on the character, allowed to operate in a different way. Batman in this movie is filled with self-loathing. He literally regards himself as little better than the people he fights. The point of the movie is bringing him back to the hero he was before he was broken. Rejecting TDKR.
Yeah, they literally spell it out in the end of the movie. Explicitly. Your mileage may vary on how well you thought they executed it, but they reverted Batman back to a calmer status quo.

Hey now, the Burton movies deserve you respect, watch you language!

Firemind

You don't have to be condescending about it.

He usually doesn't kill, but sometimes the writer leaves the imagination to the reader. Alan Moore for example states Batman does indeed kill The Joker In the Killing Joke for all the horrible things he's done.

Should google some variant of Batman killing and you will get 70 years worth of examples.

Yeah, they literally spell it out in the end of the movie. Explicitly. Your mileage may vary on how well you thought they executed it, but they reverted Batman back to a calmer status quo.

Pretty much this.

The movie's issues, in my opinion, are entirely of execution. It has great ideas, but the editing (and the script, occasionally) fails them.

I think the funniest movie kill batman has done was in the TDK, where he just crushes the guy in the garbage truck during the joker chase scene.

5 mins later: "I have one rule!"

batman was at his most heroic out of the suit in here as Bruce Wayne.

dude seemed very noble in the metropolis scene when he saved that girl from being crushed and helped lift the bar off scoot's legs.

and then you have that scene where he asked if the guy was getting his monthly cheques. factor that in with the amount of hate he has for superman because of his employee deaths and you can see that he does care a lot...he's just racist against aliens lmao.

he looked like a damn psycho as batman but i imagine that ending is implying he's coming back to the light, alfred wasn't too happy about the branding either.

vegeta101

Banned

Didn't batman lock kg beast in a room to starve to death. And didn't batman straight up shoot someone in the head in millers dark knight returns.

duckroll

This is Batman at the start of BvS:
There was a time above, a time before. There were perfect things, diamond absolutes. But things fall, and what falls is fallen.

This is Batman at the end of BvS:
Man is still good. We break things, we tear them down. But we can rebuild, we can be better. We have to be.

Terrio da gawd, etc.

He wasn't, lol. Dude got cut from the theatrical cut.
KuGsj.gif
He was teasing so much too. I remember one bullshitter reviewer saying before the premiere that he shot some rockets from a fighter jet or something.

So it appears BvS had a pretty great Monday at the box office. Haven't found the source, but saw this in the BO thread.
Seems like it's from http://comicbook.com/2016/03/29/batman-v-superman-earns-largest-monday-march-box-office/ and http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...-monday-for-181m-four-day-total/#77647b245f70

yeah i really hope terrio stays on justice league. it's the editing and snyder's storytelling that failed it. the script had some interesting elements. and from what i can recall i think terrio was against including the knightmare sequence.

plus zack was the one who wanted THAT lex luthor performance.

There was a time above, a time before. There were perfect things, diamond absolutes. But things fall, and what falls is fallen.

Man is still good. We break things, we tear them down. But we can rebuild, we can be better. We have to be.

Terrio da gawd, etc.

Preach.

We're back to "Zack Snyder is only interested in retelling TDKR and making everyone awful all the time" back in the spoiler thread tho.

yeah the Bruce/Trump comparisons have been so apparent since the comic con trailer for me.

it's alarming since i love batman so much but it's an interesting route to take him. i wonder what frank miller thought of this film.

thank god bruce sees the light at the end. i couldn't handle him being a metaphor/symbol for racist reactive people in this entire film-verse lol. i remember some dc fans were mad about the negative review that painted this comparison too but it's on the money.

yeah the Bruce/Trump comparisons have been so apparent since the comic con trailer for me.

it's alarming since i love batman so much but it's an interesting route to take him. i wonder what frank miller thought of this film.

thank god bruce sees the light at the end. i couldn't handle him being a metaphor/symbol for racist reactive people in this entire film-verse lol. i remember some dc fans were mad about the negative review that painted this comparison too but it's on the money.

I didn't get that vibe at all. If Superman was a metahuman he would react the same. Power is the issue, not where he comes from.

Firemind

yeah i really hope terrio stays on justice league. it's the editing and snyder's storytelling that failed it. the script had some interesting elements. and from what i can recall i think terrio was against including the knightmare sequence.

plus zack was the one who wanted THAT lex luthor performance.
Terrio is going to make Thor look like Yamcha compared to Aquaman. People are nitpicking that cameo
by saying Aquaman seems to be holding his breath underwater but that kamehameha he lets out goddamn and I'm not even an Aquaman fan.

I didn't get that vibe at all. If Superman was a metahuman he would react the same. Power is the issue, not where he comes from.

Think about it with alien in the metaphorical sense rather than the literal. Even if Superman was technically human, him being a meta would still make him fairly alien.

Terrio is going to make Thor look like Yamcha compared to Aquaman. People are nitpicking that cameo
by saying Aquaman seems to be holding his breath underwater but that kamehameha he lets out goddamn and I'm not even an Aquaman fan.

Yeah, I could barely see him in the shipwreck. The only part of that cameo that stuck with me was the ridiculous damage he does. Double underwater sonic boom motherfucker!

RDreamer

Thinking about it, I almost think it works better the opposite way. Superman is more America trying to help the world but in reality wrecking shit as he does. The line about never really thinking about the people who live in those buildings kind of sounds similar to how we do drone strikes and then try and pass it off as like "No, we're totally helping. See, we got the bad guy."

Bruce is the guy on the ground in that other country seeing the destruction the "good" guys are doing and doesn't think it's worth it. There is a dose of racism built into the character for this movie, but I think it's more than just Superman is a foreigner and thus I must attack him. To me it's that he's seen every good person go bad throughout gotham. He's seen horrible shit over decades. He even sees himself as a criminal. Even if Superman is good now there's no way to guarantee he would stay that way. As a "good" hero he's destroying shit left and right. What happens if he ever turns bad? Again, not that there's a chance of him being bad because he's foreign. There's a chance of him turning bad because literally everyone else around Batman has.

But ultimately his reasoning is flawed, obviously. We're supposed to see that. I think the key thing is that while Batman fails to see the good in himself at this point that also means he failed to see the good in Superman in the same way.

a916

But more to the point, what he's saying is that live action Batman has always had a body count. Burton, more than the others, but Baleman killed too. Not to mention that this is, as, again, a different take on the character, allowed to operate in a different way. Batman in this movie is filled with self-loathing. He literally regards himself as little better than the people he fights.
The point of the movie is bringing him back to the hero he was before he was broken. Rejecting TDKR

Nailed it. Superman was to serve as hope for Batman.
He said so himself at the end.

Terrio da gawd, etc.

And nailed it again.

It seems like a lot of these internet memes and arguments could be answered if you just paid attention. Even the ScreenJunkies that Umberto was on had no clue
where those letters that Bruce was getting, even though Snyder pretty much alluded to Lex and then had Lex flat out admit it.
You can't on one hand complain about motivations and then on the other hand not pay attention during the movie.

Maybe they needed Batman to flat out go, I shall not kill again while looking at the camera and making a quip about breaking a few eggs to make an omelette.

Firemind

Batman
enlisting the Justice League members is going to be so awesome you guys. I can already imagine the quips. "Why should I listen to some guy in a bat costume?"
2017 seems so far away...

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Because people didn't have a problem with Batman killing in the previous Batman live-action movies. Not to this extent certainly. And old? TDKR was like 4 years ago. When Nolan does it, it is fine. But Snyder is the one who gets called out for it. His Batman never says he won't kill, Baleman does and then just does it anyway. It was ok for years, now it's a problem? Gtfo with that shit, especially the critics who did not give a fuck with BB, TDK, TDKR which were very recent.

You can't think of a comic where Batman killed? Shows how much you know about him....see I can do it too.

Nailed it. Superman was to serve as hope for Batman.
He said so himself at the end.

And nailed it again.

It seems like a lot of these internet memes and arguments could be answered if you just paid attention. Even the ScreenJunkies that Umberto was on had no clue
where those letters that Bruce was getting, even though Snyder pretty much alluded to Lex and then had Lex flat out admit it.
You can't on one hand complain about motivations and then on the other hand not pay attention during the movie.

Maybe they needed Batman to flat out go, I shall not kill again while looking at the camera and making a quip about breaking a few eggs to make an omelette.

Told you guys, Snyder is too subtle for the audience. The hero we deserve, but not the one we need.

Ashhong

I want WB to throw everything at Cuaron to make him do MoS 2

God damn!!

I didn't realize that I wanted this until this very moment. CMON WB. I hope they keep enlisting proven directors for their stuff. And don't try to say "but James Wan". Love that guy.

RDreamer

Because people didn't have a problem with Batman killing in the previous Batman live-action movies. Not to this extent certainly. And old? TDKR was like 4 years ago. When Nolan does it, it is fine. But Snyder is the one who gets called out for it. His Batman never says he won't kill, Baleman does and then just does it anyway. It was ok for years, not it's a problem? Gtfo with that shit, especially the critics who did not give a fuck with BB, TDK, TDKR which were very recent.

You can't think of a comic where Batman killed? Shows how much you know about him....see I can do it too.

This is what really bothers me. I feel like Nolan gets a pass where Snyder gets crucified. Don't get me wrong, I really loved the Nolan movies, but I feel like a lot of complaints put on Snyder could be levied on the Nolan trilogy too.

People point to Nolan and say "See, dark comic book movies can do well," but I really only see evidence that it means "Nolan's movies can do well no matter if they're comic book movies or not."

Ashhong

It's really because people didn't like the movie overall, so they nitpick everything, trying to find out what was so bad. Then people jump on that, one after another.

Raptor

Now this is a good alternative. Get it done WB. There's no need to overreact, just refine and improve.

I didn't realize that I wanted this until this very moment. CMON WB. I hope they keep enlisting proven directors for their stuff. And don't try to say "but James Wan". Love that guy.

HE also doesnt have a project as far as I know, him and Del Toro are available I think, tho Del Toro wanted that Dark JL, WB has some very good choices.

Keep Snyder for JL stuff but bring some other good directors and writters for the other stuff, MoS2 doesnt have anything I think :(

Batmans murdering is just one more piece of garbage on the heap that is BvS. Nolans movies were great, well paced and above all coherent films. If a shot happens were it was unclear if batman killed or not, it didn't matter because it was a still good. Snyder presented the audience with a dry, overcooked steak that was way over seasoned. The side of potatoes just so happen to taste bad, and added to the problem. Batman killing people in Nolan movies were unintentional side effects due to how it was shot, and the theme was preserved. Snyder just gave no fucks to character or theme when Bat man is gunning down criminals.

Edit: How do you even do Red hood in this universe? Like if Jason Todd captured Joker to be killed, I assume batman would high five him before blowing Jokers brains out.

Batmans murdering is just one more piece of garbage on the heap that is BvS. Nolans movies were great, well paced and above all coherent films. If a shot happens were it was unclear if batman killed or not, it didn't matter because it was a still good. Snyder presented the audience with a dry, overcooked steak that was way over seasoned. The side of potatoes just so happen to taste bad, and added to the problem. Batman killing people in Nolan movies were unintentional side effects due to how it was shot, and the theme was preserved. Snyder just gave no fucks to character or theme when Bat man is gunning down criminals.

Edit: How do you even do Red hood in this universe? Like if Jason Todd captured Joker to be killed, I assume batman would high five him before blowing Jokers brains out.

Batman being brutal or killing people is presented in-universe as a recent development, one that he effectively renounces at the end of the movie. This Batman can talk to him about how he understands, how he's actually been there before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom