• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackdoe

It's late so maybe I read this wrong but it sounds like you think it would have been a better to idea to make Superman less interesting in order to make Batman more interesting. All so Snyder wouldn't have such a hard time.
Yes. The theatrical cut showed that he wasn't capable of juggling so many story threads and that he needed to simplify something. As the story is pretty much built around
Batman's redemption with Bruce Wayne narrated bookends, it makes more sense to simplify the Superman aspect in order to strengthen the Batman aspect.
But the Extended Cut may change my mind on the idea.

overcast

Finally watched it. Pretty disappointed. Especially given there were so many great pieces to it. It's a fucking mess though..

That beginning was pretty awe inspiring. Such a great take on what it would be to behold that event in person. I have more thoughts, but i'll let them cook for a bit. It wasn't that bad though.

Polarburr

The scene with Jonathan, was that a memory or a hallucination? I got the impression that it was a hallucination but the conversation was about an actual memory of clarks.

BadAss2961

The scene with Jonathan, was that a memory or a hallucination? I got the impression that it was a hallucination but the conversation was about an actual memory of clarks.
Probably closer to a hallucination. I have to see it again, but many people claim to have moments with loved ones that died. I just took it at as that.

It seems Jonathan has been a known guardian angel of Clark's for awhile since that moment didn't seem to come as a surprise to him.

Platy

Snyder gets Superman and Batman. It is HEROISM that Snyder does not get =P

Saw this on the Box Office Theory forum.

12932848_992097037506348_317162563757414368_n.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/UniversoDC/p...6085985774128/992097037506348/?type=3&theater

Looks like some Amazons have been cast for the Wonder Woman film. Not in costume of course but this looks like the group that was selected from the casting call I think.

Interesting racial diversity but I expected more body diversity

LOL xD

Finally watched it. Pretty disappointed. Especially given there were so many great pieces to it. It's a fucking mess though..

That beginning was pretty awe inspiring. Such a great take on what it would be to behold that event in person. I have more thoughts, but i'll let them cook for a bit. It wasn't that bad though.

forreal breh. I was so high on that whole opening. And then the rest of the movie didn't do much for me outside of some batman scenes.

Where they take the characters and what they're trying to do is great throughout though. The most interesting mediocre comic book movie ever. (hell, arguably more interesting than many of the good ones too)

The opening was so great. Batman doing superhero shit is always a good thing.

yeah he was at his most heroic during the metropolis scene in the film, which I think was the point since they hint that he goes to shit after that event.

i also liked when he asked about scoot mcnairy getting his monthly cheques. it showed he still cares a lot about the people. too bad lex fucked that one up.

yeah he was at his most heroic during the metropolis scene in the film, which I think was the point since they hint that he goes to shit after that event.

i also liked when he asked about scoot mcnairy getting his monthly cheques. it showed he still cares a lot about the people. too bad lex fucked that one up.

Always loved a Batman that cares for people. Feel like we haven't really gotten that since The Animated Series

Ashhong

Have you seen Raimi's Spiderman 2? It's like the scene in that where
Peter is talking to Uncle Ben in the car. Neither a hallucination nor a dream. More of a...vision? I don't know what to call it

A great and lengthy (3 pages) opinion piece on the movie, specifically the story arc of Superman and Batman's characters, and overall a rebuttal to the ridiculous claim that Snyder "hates" Superman. Very much recommend reading the full thing.

Spoiler Warning also

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug...and-batman-v-superman-proves-it/#76ae1997258e
This article was really good, should be mandatory reading for the spoiler thread haha. It makes me feel a little bummed though that the execution wasn't flawless in BvS because honestly, this movie has the goods.

It could have easily been in the top-tier of CBMs but some less than ideal decisions let it slip right out of Snyder's hands. I still greatly admire it for what it is and what it attempted to do though.

overcast

forreal breh. I was so high on that whole opening. And then the rest of the movie didn't do much for me outside of some batman scenes.

Where they take the characters and what they're trying to do is great throughout though. The most interesting mediocre comic book movie ever.
There was some great Bruce/Batman stuff no doubt.
loved that montage of random acts of supes saving people. Seeing Wonder Woman got me way more hyped than I expected actually.. It's just too bad the Doomsday fight was a catastrophe of hard to follow CG explosions.
Loved the Wayne murder scene. Visuals were nice across the board.

But there were some things that were just fucking baffling.
The knightmare scene was visually dope, but what the fuck at how it was just haphazardly thrown in. I get that it's a dream but it made no sense in the movie. Then the flash part right after was so random it took me completely out of the plot we had going.
I almost laughed at the email part.
Eisenberg was wasted here. I think he can play a great dramatic character and the pieces were there but he's poorly written. They just barely touch on his father before leaving it completely where it was. I think we needed more lex time.
Enjoyed the Bat/Supes fight, but I didn't care for how long that Martha part took. Lois showing up in time to tell Bruce is pretty convenient to begin with, but a flashback to his mom getting murdered? We get it Snyder and co.

Probably other things. I'm left admiring the ambition here but let down by a whole lot of it. I don't hate it and it stands apart from sheer mediocrity by being something so odd. I kind of want to see it again despite it being so long with such poor pacing.

I'm interested in seeing where the DCEU goes from here. There is no doubt something has to change. I'm left pumped for SS as I was before and mildly excited for WW. I'm worried about JL and I'm really thinking Aqua/Flash might be straight mediocrity.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Hans Zimmer said he is done with superhero movies. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :( :( :(

Hans Zimmer said he is done with superhero movies. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :( :( :(

well he gave us a great batman theme with the trilogy and had to do the impossible and follow up john williams for superman which he did well. maybe he should take a break, i don't think he did wonder woman's theme btw. if that were his he would have went more with a gladiator operatic theme. that's junkie xl for sure, i loved his work on mad max fury road but imo that dude kinda fucked up wonder woman. cheesebutt guitar.

his new batman theme is growing on me tho.

they need to get danny elfman for flash's theme.

edit: beautiful lie is so good. god damn.

Man I hate them for screwing up Green Lantern, I need one of them to come to earth to drive Batman crazy again. There are two thing Batman hates above all else, The Joker and Green Lanterns.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, Batman v Superman OST was a LOT of recycled Man of Steel stuff, and there are only three or four standout tracks. Maybe he's just burned out.

Yeah, he should do sth. else, like smaller films instead of blockbuster stuff like inception and the dark knight trilogy etc.

Busty

Banned
Finally saw this.

*whew*

Ok, Tuesday night, the theater was PACKED for this movie. I'm not even talking 70-80% full, I mean FULL.

Never seen that before.

Anecdotally I keep hearing this. People aren't being fazed by the critical back lash at all, it seems like the general audience really wants to see this film regardless.

I imagine that if the film is doing such brisk business with this level of critical discourse I have to imagine that WB are feeling very bullish about the future of the DCU.

Firemind

A great and lengthy (3 pages) opinion piece on the movie, specifically the story arc of Superman and Batman's characters, and overall a rebuttal to the ridiculous claim that Snyder "hates" Superman. Very much recommend reading the full thing.

Spoiler Warning also

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug...and-batman-v-superman-proves-it/#76ae1997258e
Good article. Thanks for sharing. I had a firm understanding of the themes presented in the film, but I haven't been able to quite connect the dots yet with one viewing, especially Lex's motivations. He had a good point about
Batman killing with his Batwing.
They should have cut that scene to gain a clearer picture of his redemption.

boinx

Man I hate them for screwing up Green Lantern, I need one of them to come to earth to drive Batman crazy again. There are two thing Batman hates above all else, The Joker and Green Lanterns.

If there is one good thing about Hal, it's that he won't take any shit from Bruce.

PBY

Banned

Where they take the characters and what they're trying to do is great throughout though. The most interesting mediocre comic book movie ever. (hell, arguably more interesting than many of the good ones too)
I'm not a comics fan, so I'd had a hard time putting into words a succinct view of how I felt about this movie overall - this is it.
Pretty much disliked the majority of the film but found it consistently interesting.

shieeet.

Though for real his style wouldn't have fit the others so well. Maybe Aquaman, but Flash, Shazam and GLC don't bring to mind his usual style. John Williams is out of the cards, but I hope they bring Elfman in for Shazam and Flash. I really liked his WW theme though.

Most likely they'll just roll with Junkie, who has been hit or miss for me.

Anyway I'd pay to go see the director's cut in theater. Imagine if that's a huge hit, would set a dangerous precedent.

I'm okay with this.

Zimmer's themes for this movie are generally pretty great to listen to, but once you actually get them incontext, they're all very similiar. Give it to somebody else, maybe we get a soundtrack that doesn't lend a montage of Superman saving people this dour ass tone.

Effect

With Justice League filming soon I wonder when were going to get the first plot synopsis and promo photos.

Would imagine after they start shooting. They still have two or less then two weeks before they start and that's still time where the spotlight is still on BvS. I would imagine they rather not take time from it. Let it make as much as it can. Especially if any promo image and information for JL spoils the end of BvS.

RDreamer

Spoiler Warning also

Good read. Not terribly much new from my own interpretation, but it's nice seeing someone else with the same read on the film. Makes me feel a bit less crazy.

Raptor

Spoiler Warning also

Btw, one of the Pictures in the article has Superman in front of a bunch of reporters. Don't remember this in the film. Could there be an extra scene where Superman does speak at the hearing, but it's to the reporters beforehand?

Yeah I agree with this, I even said back a few pages that Supes arc was there,. subtle, but was there.

Also said something along those lines of Superman being very naive well innocent is maybe a better word and still having faith in the world even with all the shit happening around him, even in the Animated Movies Superman is like that, thats a very Superman thing to me but I guess people just took it differently.

Simo

With Justice League filming soon I wonder when were going to get the first plot synopsis and promo photos.

April 11th?

One thing I never thought about but just remembered from those Suicide Squad set photos and now having seen BvS.....
uh..so part of Bruce's change back to his war on crime, he took the .50 cal guns off the Batmobile.

witness

April 11th?

One thing I never thought about but just remembered from those Suicide Squad set photos and now having seen BvS.....
uh..so part of Bruce's change back to his war on crime, he took the .50 cal guns off the Batmobile.

So
in SS there's no machine guns on the batmobile? I wonder if that scene is a flashback or it takes place canonically after BvS.

ryan299

The movie made 46 million worldwide on Monday. It's now up to 468.6 million. The movie earned 12.2 million on Tuesday which is the best Tuesday in March. It will cross 200 million domestic today.

Total domestic cume now stands at $193.27M, and at this pace BvS will cross the two-century mark today. BvS is down 19% from Monday’s $15M. Worldwide yesterday, BvS raked in $46M for the day. International, which Warner Bros. will likely update today, was at $287.5M through Monday.

Deadline

Raptor

And of course some people don't like that. Partly because, again, the movie isn't very eloquent about telling its story. Also, partly because "not muh Superman." Superman is never supposed to give up. But for me, and I say this as a huge Superman fan...I like it. I like it because it's something I struggle with daily. How do you do the good and selfless thing in a world that seems ready to punish you for it? I ask myself that all the time, and if you want to talk about making Superman relatable, having him wrestle with that
and ultimately come out triumphant (tragic though it may be)
hits the spot for me.

This right here is what I love about this Superman too.

Finally got around to playing Arkham Knight and it's crazy how similar the Batmobile in that is to the BvS one. A lean mean tank/super car with a turret. Was the game inspired by the movie or the other way around?

utFp0Bl.jpg
YWXd5vF.jpg

Finally got around to playing Arkham Knight and it's crazy how similar the Batmobile in that is to the BvS one. A lean mean tank/super car with a turret. Was the game inspired by the movie or the other way around?

utFp0Bl.jpg
YWXd5vF.jpg

Conceptually, I'd say both of them are going for "Tumbler but sleeker and better armed." I'd call it a coincidence.

Penguin

The movie made 46 million worldwide on Monday. It's now up to 468.6 million. The movie earned 12.2 million on Tuesday which is the best Tuesday in March. It will cross 200 million domestic today.

Deadline

Context

Like assume easy to set March records since really not a ton of competition, but how is it doing... like numbers seem good and healthy. But are these normal weekday drops? Does it speak to like a steep decline over the weekend?

shingi70

Banned
April 11th?

SS has to take place after BVS though,
the metahuman thesis is introduced in it, and SS is about trying to weaponize that.

Simo

utFp0Bl.jpg
YWXd5vF.jpg

I almost think the movie inspired them because Rocksteady said they received the files and designs for their BvS quite early on during the film's production and they also copied the Batcave's entrance if you've seen the Arkham Knight CG announcement. I mean it could all be coincidence but it's cool as close they are, although I now personally play the game with the BvS content turned on. lol

strafer

I almost think the movie inspired them because Rocksteady said they received the files and designs for their BvS quite early on during the film's production and they also copied the Batcave's entrance if you've seen the Arkham Knight CG announcement. I mean it could all be coincidence but it's cool as close they are, although I now personally play the game with the BvS content turned on. lol

only way to play it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom