• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabby

See I can't do movies alone. I always feel so awkward like people are looking at me saying, "Who's that guy over there that is so unliked no one would see a movie with him?"

I understand that is completely irrational.

Most people would rather watch the movie than notice someone in the cinemas but yeah I know where you're coming from. I get the same feeling when I go to concerts or anything by myself.

RDreamer

Seeing a movie in theaters three times seems crazy to me. I mean I know it's not, but I almost never see a movie even once in theaters. I rarely go. Me seeing something in a theater is already a big deal. I'm not entirely sure I've seen anything twice. There's probably one movie or two, but I can't remember anything at all.

Blunoise

None of his actions in film demonstrate him as such.
People are asking for superman to be best humanity. That doesn't mean he should act above or feel alien/inhuman because there's no real reason he should. He just a good natured guy from Kansas who happens to have superpowers. I can't really speaks or other but my issue with superman is that I don't know what he stands for or every get the sense he enjoys helping people. He resorts to careless violence all the time and threatens people.

Yep i hated that scene when told lex he would break all his bones... I was like this is not superman, if he is going to harm a weak human being to a vegetable

a916

I know there was some chatter today about Warner Bros putting the Ultimate Cut in theaters. If they were going to do something like that, how far in advance would Warner Bros have to announce something like that?

Where's this chatter coming from btw? I haven't even heard a guy like Umberto talk about it.

Paused fairly early to watch Flash but yes and no. Think what happens if Jamie Jobs and loses control.

Start of the movie is odd and feels like it was made for a different movie but then it got changed to be a Damien and Titans push. Betiing Solo Batman film has Damien and Cyborg is now Titans, or at least Titans is being added to the Slate for phase II.

Oooh, I do enjoy watching the Scarab go mental on people.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
If they do release the extended cut does that count towards BvS's box office numbers? My guess is it would be a separate movie.

Dcube

Curious, but how much do you think it improved for you? Like if did it go from a 2 to a 6?
I don't really like giving number scores since they never really capture how I felt, but out of 10? If I had to place it I'd say 4 to a 6. Even disliking it after the first viewing I thought critics were overly harsh.

As for seeing it the third time, I dont usually do it. Even movies I love to death typically only get 2 at the most, but this movie kept bugging me. As much as the critic in me wanted to hate it, it just stuck with me somehow.

jackdoe

I don't see a wide theatrical release of the Ultimate Cut happening. The movie would have to have legs like Avatar to get theater chains to accept a re-release in the middle of another super busy summer.

shingi70

Banned
Want to get at least Pop Vinyl for every character in the DCEU. This is my collection so far.
OwSKiFxl.jpg

IconGrist

Want to get at least Pop Vinyl for every character in the DCEU. This is my collection so far.
OwSKiFxl.jpg

I have the Batman (standard), Superman and Wonder Woman figures. I missed out on that box or whatever that had the Armored Bats. Hope that becomes available separately. Need that Zod though. Hate the Aquaman. Want just a standard colored version.

shingi70

Banned
I have the Batman (standard), Superman and Wonder Woman figures. I missed out on that box or whatever that had the Armored Bats. Hope that becomes available separately. Need that Zod though. Hate the Aquaman. Want just a standard colored version.

I like the underwater Aquaman but i'll probably grab Standard AC when I order the Superman Solider. Not sure If I want Knightmare Batman yet.

The Suicide Squad line should be coming in the next few months. It sucks that Rope Guy isn't getting a pop.
Screen-Shot-2016-02-13-at-8.15.48-PM-700x437.png

Gleethor

Yeah.

But no guys everyone who dislikes the movie totally got it and I'm crazy for thinking that anybody might have tuned out purely because of the rocky front half.

(Sorry)
Yeah but what about that scene where lex makes the senator drink his pee? And the one after that where superman just lets a bomb go off on purpose?

All claims made in the spoiler thread this past week

the pee jar would have been fine if they didn't linger on it for 15 god damn minutes lol. the suspense died like minutes before the bomb even had a chance to go off.

and nah superman didn't let it happen, he had a hilarious face after it like "aww shit my day is ruined now" which didn't help matters but he later states that he wasn't on his a-game and didn't have his ear out for any danger there.

they made their main 2 heroes incredibly flawed in here and i can see why it was a turn off. i love those aspects of the film though, i love A LOT about this film i just hate the execution of it all. it's a fascinating mess imo. i've enjoyed talking about this far more than any comic book movie since nolan trilogy. even more than dofp (which i liked watching more than this of course)

edit: ah thought you were being serious. my bad.

Dead

well not really...yet
A great and lengthy (3 pages) opinion piece on the movie, specifically the story arc of Superman and Batman's characters, and overall a rebuttal to the ridiculous claim that Snyder "hates" Superman. Very much recommend reading the full thing.

Spoiler Warning also

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug...and-batman-v-superman-proves-it/#76ae1997258e

The gist of the “Zack hates Superman” claim is, Superman is disliked and distrusted by society, is shown to be reckless and ineffective, is too brooding, and is widely mocked throughout the film. Perry White tells Clark Kent, “It’s not 1938, apples don’t cost a nickel,” Batman beats Superman into submission, sneering that Superman’s parents probably told him he was sent here for a reason. Superman tells Lois the “S” on his chest was a symbol of hope on his world, but that his world doesn’t exist anymore. These, then, are the examples of supposed proof Snyder hates Superman — the Perry White speech gets the most play when this argument is put forth, because it seems the clearest literal example of the film disparaging Superman’s idealism.

And of course, that’s precisely what it is, as is Batman’s violent attack against the Man of Steel and his little speech to him; as is the world’s skepticism in the film, and the anger so many characters feel toward Superman. Yes, those things are all meant to criticize Superman and what he stands for. The trick is, you’re supposed to realize they’re all wrong, because that’s the actual point of the movie — everyone mocking and criticizing Superman is wrong.

Batman v Superman isn’t mocking Superman’s idealism, it depends on it and uses it as the thematic basis for redeeming Batman and the entire world, and for leading us to the creation of the Justice League. The cynicism is intentionally framed as the world’s rejection of Superman, representing the modern real-life arguments about whether Superman is relevant and relatable to our real world, and the claims by a lot of people that Superman can’t be interesting because of his goodness and idealism. Batman v Superman argues that in a world with so few good guys who remain good, with so many reasons to give up and stop having faith, Superman’s idealism is more important than ever, more relevant than ever.

Btw, one of the Pictures in the article has Superman in front of a bunch of reporters. Don't remember this in the film. Could there be an extra scene where Superman does speak at the hearing, but it's to the reporters beforehand?

IconGrist

they made their main 2 heroes incredibly flawed in here and i can see why it was a turn off. i love those aspects of the film though, i love A LOT about this film i just hate the execution of it all. it's a fascinating mess imo. i've enjoyed talking about this far more than any comic book movie since nolan trilogy. even more than dofp (which i liked watching more than this of course)

edit: ah thought you were being serious. my bad.

I didn't think it was a mess. A mess, to me anyway, is a movie that doesn't make any sense and outside of a couple "its a comic book movie and you'll just have to roll with it" scenes I thought a large majority of it made sense. There is the issue of the pacing. If I didn't know ahead of time the movie had been chopped for time I still would have assumed the movie had been chopped for time.

Everything connected. Almost none of it connected very smoothly.

I didn't think it was a mess. A mess, to me anyway, is a movie that doesn't make any sense and outside of a couple "its a comic book movie and you'll just have to roll with it" scenes I thought a large majority of it made sense. There is the issue of the pacing. If I didn't know ahead of time the movie had been chopped for time I still would have assumed the movie had been chopped for time.

Everything connected. Almost none of it connected very smoothly.

It's a bit of a mess. Because of the not smoothly part.
IMO of course.

Dead

well not really...yet
If this is the start of a critical turnaround I'll be pretty happy, no lie.
You will see more and probably continue to see more opinion pieces defending the movie (especially if the DC delivers), it's choices and Snyder, there is simply a lot more to digest in this movie than your average blockbuster to leave it behind, but there is not going to be some massive change of opinion on the critical side at large, as the critiques of it's filmmaking flaws are very valid. There is no going back on that.

You will see more and probably continue to see more opinion pieces defending the movie (especially if the DC delivers), it's choices and Snyder, there is simply a lot more to digest in this movie than your average blockbuster to leave it behind, but there is not going to be some massive change of opinion on the critical side at large, as the critiques of it's filmmaking flaws are very valid.

Yeah, true.

IconGrist

That "workable version" comment from Snyder still eats at my core but I'm not sure if I should blame him for that or the execs at WB. I guess that'll depend on how the DC turns out. If it's good and and the majority agrees I'll blame WB. If it sucks or doesn't make the movie better just longer I will blame Snyder.

ReiGun

I think the biggest counterargument to the idea that Snyder is bashing Superman in the movie comes at the end.
"If you seek his monument, look around you." with Bruce's speech about how men are still good going in the background. In the end, the movie is about how we're wrong about Superman in more ways than one. People deified him as a god, hounded him as a monster or a menace, or debated endlessly about what his presence meant. But ultimately, in death, they saw Superman for who he was: someone trying to do what's right. And his monument is all those he's saved, and the world he gave his life for. Nowhere is his influence seen more than on Bruce, who came back from the brink of completely losing himself to the darkness and is now trying to make right thanks to Superman's example.
You don't present that vision and idea of a character you hate.

And let's take Batman, the character Snyder is supposed to love. Batman...is a massive prick in this movie. Like, I make jokes about Batman being a jerk all the time, but this shit right here? He is an unlikable asshole for most of the film. People are uncomfortable with the way Batman acts in this movie, and I believe that was totally intentional. You're not supposed to like him. You're not supposed to agree with him. The cynicism, cruelty, and xenophobia Batman represents in this film is what Snyder is really speaking out against. (And granted, this isn't communicated well at all. Like I've said many times before of this film, all the pieces are there. They just don't quite come together in a way that's told well to the audience.)

It'a bold choice really. Making DC's favorite son the villain. And I think it works. People say they like Batman because he's the most human superhero. "He's like us." So in this movie, they made him the stand in for everything that's wrong with us. For what happens to us when we lose hope and allow the darkness of the world to consume us.

Superman is cast as our better traits. Our desire to help others and do what's right. To protect those we care about. To make the most of what makes us who we are as individuals to improve the world. His arc in the film is about how hard it is to maintain these principles in a world where so many people like Batman exist. How do you remain optimistic in a world where optimism seems corny? How do you do the right thing when, as Perry tells him, "Nobody cares?" Clark's line
"Men can't stay good, Lois." (or something like that. I forget the exact quote)
is heartbreaking because it's him giving up. It's him resigning himself to ending up like Batman, or worse.

And of course some people don't like that. Partly because, again, the movie isn't very eloquent about telling its story. Also, partly because "not muh Superman." Superman is never supposed to give up. But for me, and I say this as a huge Superman fan...I like it. I like it because it's something I struggle with daily. How do you do the good and selfless thing in a world that seems ready to punish you for it? I ask myself that all the time, and if you want to talk about making Superman relatable, having him wrestle with that
and ultimately come out triumphant (tragic though it may be)
hits the spot for me.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I think the biggest counterargument to the idea that Snyder is bashing Superman in the movie comes at the end.
"If you seek his monument, look around you." with Bruce's speech about how men are still good going in the background. In the end, the movie is about how we're wrong about Superman in more ways than one. People deified him as a god, hounded him as a monster or a menace, or debated endlessly about what his presence meant. But ultimately, in death, they saw Superman for who he was: someone trying to do what's right. And his monument is all those he's saved, and the world he gave his life for. Nowhere is his influence seen more than on Bruce, who came back from the brink of completely losing himself to the darkness and is now trying to make right thanks to Superman's example.

And let's take Batman, the character Snyder is supposed to love. Batman...is a massive prick in this movie. Like, I make jokes about Batman being a jerk all the time, but this shit right here? He is an unlikable asshole for most of the film. People are uncomfortable with the way Batman acts in this movie, and I believe that was totally intentional. You're not supposed to like him. You're not supposed to agree with him. The cynicism, cruelty, and xenophobia Batman represents in this film is what Snyder is really speaking out against. (And granted, this isn't communicated well at all. Like I've said many times before of this film, all the pieces are there. They just don't quite come together in a way that's told well to the audience.)

It'a bold choice really. Making DC's favorite son the villain. And I think it works. People say they like Batman because he's the most human superhero. "He's like us." So in this movie, they made him the stand in for everything that's wrong with us. For what happens to us when we lose hope and allow the darkness of the world to consume us.

Superman is cast as our better traits. Our desire to help others and do what's right. To protect those we care about. To make the most of what makes us who we are as individuals to improve the world. His arc in the film is about how hard it is to maintain these principles in a world where so many people like Batman exist. How do you remain optimistic in a world where optimism seems corny? How do you do the right thing when, as Perry tells him, "Nobody cares?" Clark's line
is heartbreaking because it's him giving up. It's him resigning himself to ending up like Batman, or worse.

And of course some people don't like that. Partly because, again, the movie isn't very eloquent about telling its story. Also, partly because "not muh Superman." Superman is never supposed to give up. But for me, and I say this as a huge Superman fan...I like it. I like it because it's something I struggle with daily. How do you do the good and selfless thing in a world that seems ready to punish you for it? I ask myself that all the time, and if you want to talk about making Superman relatable, having him wrestle with that
hits the spot for me.
I agree with everything here. Furthermore, your last paragraph is all the evidence we need of Superman's humanity. We all struggle and lose hope at some point no matter how briefly that may be. Superman's struggle with his unique position in this world is a major reason I liked this movie.

Ninjimbo

A great and lengthy (3 pages) opinion piece on the movie, specifically the story arc of Superman and Batman's characters, and overall a rebuttal to the ridiculous claim that Snyder "hates" Superman. Very much recommend reading the full thing.

Spoiler Warning also

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug...and-batman-v-superman-proves-it/#76ae1997258e
That was a good read. Perfectly encapsulates some of the thoughts I had while I was watching the movie. When the DC comes out, I only hope they expand upon the time Clark spends away from Metropolis. One of my favorite scenes was the one in the mountain just because it drove home the internal struggles Clark was wrestling with.

jackdoe

hits the spot for me.
This is definitely what they were trying for, but I'm personally of the opinion that the story would have been better served if they had wrote Superman as a much more one note character, an ultimate good, to better contrast Batman. Because even though a conflicted Superman is an interesting concept and makes for interesting story telling, it hurts the Batman story when it isn't executed properly. By making Superman more one note, that's one less ball to juggle and a much easier time for Zack Snyder as a director.

IconGrist

This is definitely what they were trying for, but I'm personally of the opinion that the story would have been better served if they had wrote Superman as a much more one note character, an ultimate good, to better contrast Batman. Because even though a conflicted Superman is an interesting concept and makes for interesting story telling, it hurts the Batman story when it isn't executed properly. By making Superman more one note, that's one less ball to juggle and a much easier time for Zack Snyder as a director.

It's late so maybe I read this wrong but it sounds like you think it would have been a better to idea to make Superman less interesting in order to make Batman more interesting. All so Snyder wouldn't have such a hard time.

I'm really excited for the Wonder Women film.

I know nothing of her origins other then she's a princess, and her name is Diana (I think?)

Is the Wonder Women film in good hands?

Rooster12

Finally saw this.

*whew*

Ok, Tuesday night, the theater was PACKED for this movie. I'm not even talking 70-80% full, I mean FULL.

Never seen that before.

Anyways, on to the movie.

First half of the film, pointless drivel, excessive usage of philosophical discussions regarding Superman, which was badly done, comically written, I think I seen better stuff from fucking Smallville. I can't believe Terrio wrote this. It seems as if he's never read a comic book before. I thought at one point the movie was insulting me, or just movie-goers in general. I was having one of the worst experiences ever. Oh, and Affleck was mind-numbingly boring as Bruce Wayne. Hell, even Clark Kent was more interesting, and Cavill can't even act. Now, Cavill is a great Superman, but whenever he's Clark Kent I start to cringe, but even that was better than whatever crap material they gave to Affleck. Oh, and the pacing? Yeah, awful. The dialogue, awful. The acting, for the most part, awful. Lex? He was the only person who kept my interest...and even he seemed to be just "hamming it up" in a way. So at one point I seriously thought that I can't believe that I paid for this. Oh, and the "do you bleed" scene, cringe-worthy.

So, my favorite parts of the awful first half? The first Superman scene when saves Lois from the terrorist. And the first Bruce Wayne nightmare scene in the morgue.

Now, right when I was about to give up. The Superman senate hearing happens, this scene alone saves the whole movie. I totally wasn't expecting that, it woke me the fuck up. Now my eyes are glued to the screen. They got me sympathizing with Superman, totally unexpected.Things are actually starting to make sense. Maybe this is where Terrio works his magic?

Ok, second half. HOLY SHIT things get intense. I've never felt more intense in a superhero movie before. I think they just cranked this shit up to 11. Batman FINALLY appears, oh my fucking god, this is by far the best Batman of ALL TIME. There is such a jarring difference between Affleck's Batman and Bruce Wayne it's almost distracting. While Bale was consistent with both portrayals. Affleck completely DESTROYS Bale when it comes to his Batman performance. And what about the scene that no one is talking about? The scene with Lex and Superman on the rooftop? Incredible. The dialogue right there was perfect. Both actors NAILED that scene. What the fuck happened? Is this actually a good movie now??? And the Batman/Superman fight, perfect, I wouldn't want it any other way. It's not what I thought it was, they threw in some stuff from left field. Now, could Superman have just pleaded and reasoned with Batman? Sure, but I won't complain, the fight was well done. I loved how Superman tried to talk to Batman first instead of going after him, that's the Superman I know. Finally. And the Doomsday fight at the end? Didn't even bother me really, it just seemed like the natural progression of things, I know a better writer would have come up with something different, but it's almost as if they needed to redeem Superman in a way. I thought that him dying in space would have perfect, and let Batman and Diana come up with a way to stop Doomsday. And some people complained that there wasn't enough dialogue between Batman and Superman, but I thought that the few words they had with each other were "enough"....it had us wanting more...and that's what I want. Maybe it's the live-action world, but I just thought maybe it's better if they don't quip back and forth all day long like Tony Starks and Steve Rogers or someone....it seemed more natural this way to me at least.

So, to wrap it up. I liked it better than Dark Knight Rises...and I thought it was just as good as Age of Ultron...but with more powerful scenes.

So my favorite scene in this movie is probably the rooftop scene between Supes and Lex, that's what I wanted, a classic scene between those two, it's been so long.

As for the cameos, they were all pretty bad, especially Flash. I was shocked at how bad that was lol....just stunned really.

Aquaman was awful as well...looked really corny and amateurish.

Cyborg....meh...forgettable Robocop crap.

Best was Wonder Woman of course....her photograph was dope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom