• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is he not striving to be?

Here's what bugs me about the Superman fans that don't like this movie because of the portrayal. One person says the important thing about Superman isn't the god part, it's the human part. Now people are insisting that he needs to be so ridiculously above and beyond as to be inhuman and basically godly. The movie portrays a very human Superman trying his best to go above and beyond and people don't seem to like it because he should be smiling? He should be more idealized? I literally don't get it.
None of his actions in film demonstrate him as such.
People are asking for superman to be best humanity. That doesn't mean he should act above or feel alien/inhuman because there's no real reason he should. He just a good natured guy from Kansas who happens to have superpowers. I can't really speaks or other but my issue with superman is that I don't know what he stands for or every get the sense he enjoys helping people. He resorts to careless violence all the time and threatens people.

Yup, for the most part I thought the score was bad and distracting outside of the title sequence and the reused Man of Steel bits. Too much reliance on character themes.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Supes just wanna stay home and fuck Lois, but nooo some idiot let the stove on or didn't turn off the sink so now he has to waste his time saving them. Poor guy.

Ashhong

People are asking for superman to be best humanity. That doesn't mean he should act above or feel alien/inhuman because there's no real reason he should. He just a good natured guy from Kansas who happens to have superpowers. I can't really speaks or other but my issue with superman is that I don't know what he stands for or every get the sense he enjoys helping people. He resorts to careless violence all the time and threatens people.

Of course there's a reason he should feel like an alien, the entire world is calling him one. Every time he looks at the TV or newspaper it paints him in a negative light. Of course he is going to question his own actions and what he's doing there.

IconGrist

Who did he threaten besides Batman? And Batman doesn't count considering what happened literally seconds before. That was a justified threat.

People are asking him to be better than the best of humanity, honestly. They're asking for the world to roll of his shoulders, for him to be above doubt and fear. These things are part of being human. Wrestling with them is important and worthwhile. What matters is that he comes out on top.

As to the rest... I don't know if he enjoys helping people. He does it a lot. He takes time away from things he's doing (
pursuing Bruce
) to do it. He seemed happy when he rescued that baby, before the reality of how he's viewed by people sets in again. The rescue montage as a whole got pretty fucked up by the soundtrack, so that's a "maybe."

I don't know about those last two, though. He's clearly uncomfortable threatening Bruce, and he tries to address the Batman problem first as Clark. He's definitely not careless. Idk.

Ashhong

Who did he threaten besides Batman? And Batman doesn't count considering what happened literally seconds before. That was a justified threat.

The film should have cut down on the extra stuff and shown more of Superman's arc specifically. This movie REALLY needed a MoS sequel before it IMO. But alas..

jackdoe

He did
give an especially convincing threat to fry Lex Luthor moments before that definitely was not helped by the Knightmare scene showing Superman acting like a murderer.
Man does that Knightmare scene ruin stuff within the actual narrative of this movie.

IconGrist

He did
give an especially convincing threat to fry Lex Luthor moments before that definitely was not helped by the Knightmare scene showing Superman acting like a murderer.
Man does that Knightmare scene ruin stuff within the actual narrative of this movie.

Superman has always been depicted as
about to fry somebody when he's pissed. The only threat he actively made to Luthor was, "I'll take you in without breaking you, which is more than you deserve."
Which isn't so much a threat as it is just saying that he wants to.

Of course there's a reason he should feel like an alien, the entire world is calling him one. Every time he looks at the TV or newspaper it paints him in a negative light. Of course he is going to question his own actions and what he's doing there.
Sure but film never allows him explain his position. Why he is a threat or why he needs to controlled.
The first time he meets batman.

jackdoe

about to fry somebody when he's pissed. The only threat he actively made to Luthor was, "I'll take you in without breaking you, which is more than you deserve." Which isn't so much a threat as it is just saying that he wants to.
Look at it like this:
Without the Knightmare scene, he gets pissed and threatens to fry a person, but you never think he'd actually go through with it. With the Knightmare scene, you actually do think he will go through with it. Because he already did earlier in the movie. Even though it was some alternate future/potential future it's something that's in the forefront of the audience's minds.
That was probably one of the reasons that caused some people to feel like "Not my Superman".

IconGrist

Sure but film never allows him explain his position. Why he is a threat or why he needs to controlled.

The first time he meets batman.

You're losing me here. I'm talking about when he first meets Batman. Which means you must be talking about the "Stay down" moment. Which again is Batman. That is not people. That is person.

jackdoe

You're losing me here. I'm talking about when he first meets Batman. Which means you must be talking about the "Stay down" moment. Which again is Batman. That is not people. That is person.
The
"Where is she" plus glowing red eyes at Luthor was definitely a threat.
But that's it. Two people in total.

Effect

about to fry somebody when he's pissed. The only threat he actively made to Luthor was, "I'll take you in without breaking you, which is more than you deserve."
Which isn't so much a threat as it is just saying that he wants to.

I do like that after that he says
She's safe down on the ground. How about you?
. I like when Superman is like that.

IconGrist

The
"Where is she" plus glowing red eyes at Luthor was definitely a threat.
But that's it. Two people in total.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I've seen Superman's rage depicted that way too many times to see that as much more than an expression like you or I would make if something grossed us out.

I will concede that audiences unfamiliar with Superman in that regard will have just cause to view it as a threat.

jackdoe

We'll have to agree to disagree. I've seen Superman's rage depicted that way too many times to see that as much more than an expression like you or I would make if something grossed us out.

I will concede that audiences unfamiliar with Superman in that regard will have just cause to view it as a threat.
Well no. It's not unfamiliarity with Superman. It's that damned Knightmare scene that made it look like a real threat.
Because audiences just saw him fry two people in a vague scene that may or may not be dream/vision/alternate reality/future/etc.
A lot of people's problems with Superman in this movie all leads back to that unnecessary scene which colored so many people's opinion of the character, either consciously or sub-consciously. Another problem with that scene?
It actually helped justify Batman's position, to the point that some people could actually root for Batman in the fight, even though you are completely supposed to be appalled by what he is doing.

I sincerely hope all the people tirelessly defending this movie are just as satisfied with the upcoming dark and gritty Justice Lords movie. This is MoS all over again
a movie I enjoyed way more than this
, in which the great visionary Snyder can do no wrong, and any mistakes will be addressed in the sequel. I wonder how long people will overlook the gross disrespect for the source material and lack of understanding by Snynder for its characters, becasue he will 'do better in the sequel.' I'm just real tired and disappointed with having to see more movies in a universe where people fight each other in costumes, but is absent of heroes.

IconGrist

Well no. It's not unfamiliarity with Superman. It's that damned Knightmare scene that made it look like a real threat.
Because audiences just saw him fry two people in a vague scene that may or may not be dream/vision/alternate reality/future/etc.
A lot of people's problems with Superman in this movie all leads back to that unnecessary scene which colored so many people's opinion of the character, either consciously or sub-consciously. Another problem with that scene?
It actually helped justify Batman's position, to the point that some people could actually root for Batman in the fight, even though you are completely supposed to be appalled by what he is doing.

No I get what you're saying and that's why I said if you are unfamiliar with the character I can see why it would come off that way. Especially with the Knightmare scene. But with or without that Knightmare scene, to me, him pissed and red-eyed is just normal Superman behavior.

I'm wondering if
that Flash cameo would have worked as well without the Knightmare scene. As cool as the scene was it seems to be a point of contention with a lot of people, narratively speaking.
Maybe because it's payoff is not part of the movie?

I sincerely hope all the people tirelessly defending this movie are just as satisfied with the upcoming dark and gritty Justice Lords movie. This is MoS all over again
a movie I enjoyed way more than this
, in which the great visionary Snyder can do no wrong, and any mistakes will be addressed in the sequel. I wonder how long people will overlook the gross disrespect for the source material and lack of understanding by Snynder for its characters, becasue he will 'do better in the sequel.' I'm just real tired and disappointed with having to see more movies in a universe where people fight each other in costumes, but is absent of heroes.

Oh my god please start reading the arguments

More of my personal feelings about the DC CU going forward with Snyder at the helm. But hey your arguments were probably too deep for a marvel fan such as myself to comprehend.

Holy strawman.

I object to the post because you're dismissing every argument being made about this movie that isn't wholly negative as fanboys shuffling things off to the next film. This is incorrect.

jackdoe

No I get what you're saying and that's why I said if you are unfamiliar with the character I can see why it would come off that way. Especially with the Knightmare scene. But with or without that Knightmare scene, to me, him pissed and red-eyed is just normal Superman behavior.

I'm wondering if
that Flash cameo would have worked as well without the Knightmare scene. As cool as the scene was it seems to be a point of contention with a lot of people, narratively speaking.
Maybe because it's payoff is not part of the movie?
I think it would have worked fine actually. Because it's actually pretty independent of it. Maybe better because there are so many other positives that come with removing the Knightmare scene:

1) You can put back in connective tissue and extended sequences to flesh out subplots without making a 3 hour movie.

2) You don't inadvertently negatively color an audience's opinion on this particular Superman.

3) You don't inadvertently
justify Batman's position in the movie by showing Superman capable of that 1%.

4) You don't completely kill the pacing of the movie.

5) You don't completely mystify the audience that isn't well versed in DC lore and doesn't like to be WTF'd in the middle of a movie
(with the Flash cameo only, it'd be a small WTF)

IconGrist

I think it would have worked fine actually. Because it's actually pretty independent of it. Maybe better because there are so many other positives that come with removing the Knightmare scene:

1) You can put back in connective tissue and extended sequences to flesh out subplots without making a 3 hour movie.

2) You don't inadvertently negatively color an audience's opinion on this particular Superman.

5) You don't completely mystify the audience that isn't well versed in DC lore and doesn't like to be WTF'd in the middle of a movie

I can pretty much agree with all of that.

Very well put.

I'd also say that any Darkseid/New Gods teasing it does could have easily, and much more interestingly, been picked up by that cut scene they already posted. In-the-know fans mostly get it, it leads to lots of speculation, and it's a short, sweet visual that entertains less nerdy audiences.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Today I purchased Beautiful Lie, This is My World, and Is She With You and now I'm lifting to it. Wondy's theme will pump you up for some weighted pull ups!

Sorry for dismissing the arguments, that last thing I said could be qualified as a marvel fanboy shitpost for sure. There were cool things in the movie for sure, and it was a gorgeous spectacle. But the movie to me was ultimately ok at best, and detestable at worst. I grew up with these characters and while I personally love lighter interpretations o them (Batman 66, Brave and the Bold, All Star Superman) I appreciate new interpretations like Flashpoint and Crisis on two Earths. But these interpretations were not elsewhere stories. This is the main Trinity for future movies, and the fact that its them at their lowest 2 movies in breaks my heart.

Sorry for dismissing the arguments, that last thing I said could be qualified as a marvel fanboy shitpost for sure. There were cool things in the movie for sure, and it was a gorgeous spectacle. But the movie to me was ultimately ok at best, and detestable at worst. I grew up with these characters and while I personally love lighter interpretations o them (Batman 66, Brave and the Bold, All Star Superman) I appreciate new interpretations like Flashpoint and Crisis on two Earths. But these interpretations were not elsewhere stories. This is the main Trinity for future movies, and the fact that its them at their lowest 2 movies in breaks my heart.

It's aight, don't worry about it.

I understand wanting a lighter take, but I think that this does some very interesting things with the characters. And for what it's worth, even before reviews started coming in, the stated intention was to treat this as the middle part of a trilogy. Like Two Towers and ESB, it's deliberately the darkest part.

strafer

I kinda don't want a lighter DCEU. Not sure if I could take both a light Marvel and DC universe.

But would love to see a dark take on Captain Murica.

I agree but
Knightmare could work if Superman and signs of Superman are taken out. Have Bruce misinterpret the sequence as Superman gone rogue, Flash tells him "bro knock it off with being a dick." Turn the Knightmare into the world where Batman continues down his path to kill Superman.

jackdoe

I agree but
Knightmare could work if Superman and signs of Superman are taken out. Have Bruce misinterpret the sequence as Superman gone rogue, Flash tells him "bro knock it off with being a dick." Turn the Knightmare into the world where Batman continues down his path to kill Superman.
I get what you're saying. It would be very effective then.
Parademons only. No bullshit Superman gestapo soldiers.

I kinda don't want a lighter DCEU. Not sure if I could take both a light Marvel and DC universe.

But would love to see a dark take on Captain Murica.

I mean, lighter is different from Marvel. The movie can spend more time in a more upbeat place without a quipping compulsion.

(With all the love in the world)

Dcube

Just came out of seeing it a third time. As someone who ripped into this movie on opening night, I feel I was a bit harsh in retrospect. It's really grown on me.
Soundtrack is amazing, action is awesome when it does eventually get there, and I just love the characters. Loved Ben's broken Batman the most, and Lex was fantastic, close second favorite.
It's dark, dense, ambitious, and unfortunately stumbles about, but I found lots to like. Enough to get me back in my seat for a third time and come out saying I liked it. I'm pretty excited for that ultimate cut.

Cooter

Just came out of seeing it a third time. As someone who ripped into this movie on opening night, I feel I was a bit harsh in retrospect. It's really grown on me.
Soundtrack is amazing, action is awesome when it does eventually get there, and I just love the characters. Loved Ben's broken Batman the most, and Lex was fantastic, close second favorite.
It's dark, dense, ambitious, and unfortunately stumbles about, but I found lots to like. Enough to get me back in my seat for a third time and come out saying I liked it. I'm pretty excited for that ultimate cut.
Same here. I've seen it three times and each repeat viewing I came out liking it more. I am in no way comparing it to Mad Max but that movie was the same way for me.

a916

Curious, but how much do you think it improved for you? Like if did it go from a 2 to a 6?

Man, seeing movies in theaters three times, I don't know how y'all do it. I'm gonna rewatch this thing endlessly when it's at home, but a theater trip is, like an OUTING. I dunno about doing it so many times for the same movie, lol.

Cooter

Man, seeing movies in theaters three times, I don't know how y'all do it. I'm gonna rewatch this thing endlessly when it's at home, but a theater trip is, like an OUTING. I dunno about doing it so many times for the same movie, lol.
Just an excuse for me to build memories with my kids really. Plus we catch matinee's so it's not too bad.

shingi70

Banned
My complaints about Superman aside I like the movie, and can't wait for Justice League.

Any of you guys Watch Justice League vs Teen Titans yet?

IconGrist

Saw it with my brother opening night. Saw it with my daughter the following day. Going with my wife on Friday since she couldn't make opening night. Will likely see it a couple more times throughout its run.

Saw it with my brother opening night. Saw it with my daughter the following day. Going with my wife on Friday since she couldn't make opening night. Will likely see it a couple more times throughout its run.

Yeah, I mostly watch movies alone. Going three times by myself is... yeah :p

Tabby

My complaints about Superman aside I like the movie, and can't wait for Justice League.

Any of you guys Watch Justice League vs Teen Titans yet?

Watching it right now. It's alright so far though I prefer Star Fire being a member of the team and not the mom of everyone.

I know there was some chatter today about Warner Bros putting the Ultimate Cut in theaters. If they were going to do something like that, how far in advance would Warner Bros have to announce something like that?

I know there was some chatter today about Warner Bros putting the Ultimate Cut in theaters. If they were going to do something like that, how far in advance would Warner Bros have to announce something like that?

AFAIK, that's just forum chatter. Wouldn't put too much into it.

They'd have to get it cleared by the MPAA, then pull the existing movie, then distribute the Ultimate cut... idk.

IconGrist

Yeah, I mostly watch movies alone. Going three times by myself is... yeah :p

See I can't do movies alone. I always feel so awkward like people are looking at me saying, "Who's that guy over there that is so unliked no one would see a movie with him?"

I understand that is completely irrational.

shingi70

Banned
No, I'm building up the nerve to watch my boy Jaime made to job again.

Am I wrong?

Paused fairly early to watch Flash but yes and no. Think what happens if Jamie Jobs and loses control.

Start of the movie is odd and feels like it was made for a different movie but then it got changed to be a Damien and Titans push. Betiing Solo Batman film has Damien and Cyborg is now Titans, or at least Titans is being added to the Slate for phase II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom