• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
BvS didn't do what it did for others to ease my reservations on Gal carrying her film. She didn't have lots to do besides looking the part, which she did. I'll say Gal's better in BvS compared with the Fast&Furious franchise but is that saying much? Bet even Tyrese's Green Lantern will be closer to Baby Boy.

Just a bit of lashing out at the highest rated superhero film of late, it's all good.

Hold up, did I miss discussion about X-Men DoFP? Boy, now that's a film that balances humor and drama expertly.

Hold up, did I miss discussion about X-Men DoFP? Boy, now that's a film that balances humor and drama expertly.
I don't believe that was as highly rated as GOTG but it's still a bloody great movie.

I don't think so, no. The "funny" movie was always going to be Squad, and JL is confirmed to be lighter than BvS, but I don't think we've actually gotten a word on the tone of WW. I'd imagine lighter, it's a bit of a fish out of water thing, but it's also a WWI movie, so.
Hm, maybe. Cap' was quite light and that was set during World War 2. I honestly don't think Suicide Squad looks very funny but maybe that's because Margot Robbie's lines fell a bit flat for me. I don't really want funny though, just not quite as heavy.

Don't know about that, but getting her to ACT for 2+ hours should be one of the biggest priorities
She wasn't that bad, was she?

Hm, maybe. Cap' was quite light and that was set during World War 2. I honestly don't think Suicide Squad looks very funny but maybe that's because Margot Robbie's lines fell a bit flat for me. I don't really want funny though, just not quite as heavy.
=

Well, I mean, World War One is not World War 2. WW2 is "the last good war." Good guys and bad guys! Democracy vs. the Nazis! Of course it's a lot more complicated than that in reality, but it's closer to a good vs. evil fight than most other wars. Hell, the Nazis even dressed like bad guys. Skulls and black leather, come on.

WWI was supposed to be the war to end all war, the conflict so horrific that surely nobody could contemplate doing that ever again. This wasn't a war with heroes and villains. It's Verdun. The Somme. Bodies for miles, chemical weapon attacks. That's what Wonder Woman is jumping into.

As for Squad, idk, I'd agree that Robbie's lines didn't land for me, but Boomerang seemed really funny to me. Sneaking the beer, jumping out of the mailsack, great looking stuff. There's probably going to be a fair bit of dark comedy. Not light, but funny.

IconGrist

Gal's accent is thick and she hasn't quite mastered how to get around it. That was the only time her lines came off, well, off. Which IIRC only hurt like 3 of her 12 lines. Decent odds.

Raptor

I was focused on Bruce, I guess. Can't say I recall any problems with her performance there.

What I thought it was that she was serious almost too cold in that scene, like "there aint no need to recruit since this world aint shit" more or less is what I gather from that scene.

IconGrist

I'm not the only one who just randomly says "Boy do we have problems up here" am I? I can't get that damn line out of my head, lol. And it's only going to get worse when I see BvS again tomorrow.

jackdoe

What I thought it was that she was serious almost too cold in that scene, like "there aint no need to recruit since this world aint shit" more or less is what I gather from that scene.
It wasn't how cold or serious she was. The delivery itself was off. Most of her acting was head and shoulders above her work in the F&F franchise. Her work in that scene was on par with her work in the F&F franchise.

Gal's accent is thick and she hasn't quite mastered how to get around it. That was the only time her lines came off, well, off. Which IIRC only hurt like 3 of her 12 lines. Decent odds.

I think her accent worked, honestly. She is from a very, very foreign land.

Yeah, I don't really remember it like that, but like I said, I was soaking in Bruce's monologue.

I'm not the only one who just randomly says "Boy do we have problems up here" am I? I can't get that damn line out of my head, lol. And it's only going to get worse when I see BvS again tomorrow.

Such a good line. Cheery and manic.

3N16MA

Banned
You guys severely overstate the amount of jokes in Marvel movies.

Naw. AoU took the whole witty banter (not so witty) and jokes to a new level. Even the villain was a big joke.

The jokes fit much better in GoTG and are much more toned down in Winter Solider.

a916

I like
the ding ding ding ding line
too... I'm part of the problem.

Raptor

It wasn't how cold or serious she was. The delivery itself was off. Most of her acting was head and shoulders above her work in the F&F franchise. Her work in that scene was on par with her work in the F&F franchise.

Yeah it could be that, but maybe I saw too much into it and it reality she did suck in that scene lol.

Lot of Marvel movie talk in a thread about DC films.

Mostly spurned on by talking about squad having a "lighter" tone. I think it will have more jokes than BvS, but will land in dark comedy territory.

I'm glad Marvel has something that works for them, I don't know how Marvel comics fans feel about it, I don't want DC to have the same thing because I'm such a fan of their comics, that's not the tone in which most of my favorite stories were told. I also wouldn't want the movies/tv shows affecting the books beyond an aesthetic level.

I don't see Superman cracking a joke when the gulag breaks open in Kingdom Come, or Darkseid doing a quip before he kills Batman in Final Crisis, or Black Adam making a crocodile pun in 52. That's not what I want to see either.

Mostly spurned on by talking about squad having a "lighter" tone. I think it will have more jokes than BvS, but will land in dark comedy territory.

I'm glad Marvel has something that works for them, I don't know how Marvel comics fans feel about it, I don't want DC to have the same thing because I'm such a fan of their comics, that's not the tone in which most of my favorite stories were told. I also wouldn't want the movies/tv shows affecting the books beyond an aesthetic level.

I don't see Superman cracking a joke when the gulag breaks open in Kingdom Come, or Darkseid doing a quip before he kills Batman in Final Crisis, or Black Adam making a crocodile pun in 52. That's not what I want to see either.

Oooh I could picture that in my head now.

Wonder Woman :"Superman, there's a riot in the metahuman prison, we have to stop it!"
Superman : "I guess someone dropped the soap, hey-yo!"

Darkseid : " you will experience the death that is life. I will vanish you to.........Detroit!"
Batman: "NO!, not Detroit!"

yeah......

Bleepey

Almost finished with Preacher as of now. Checked out Fables at the library and it didn't click with me, but I really need to check out 100 Bullets and Y

Read it in sequential order, there is a payoff that's truly amazing. Read the first two trades and i would bet money you fall in love with it.

8zFfvaY.png

There's hidden depth in every frame of this movie.

There's an incredible comparison of the Metropolis attack from MoS and BvS perspectives out there. BvS uses cam footage and without knowing the policy here, I'll refrain from posting the link.

Lol its not real

No, I know it's not real.

I'm chastising Ryan for bringing that into here. It's gonna get passed around for WEEKS, especially if OT gets a hole of it.

Remember the "WB execs think this movie might be too smart for general audiences" disaster? People STILL believe that, and nobody was trying to fool anybody there!

IconGrist

No, I know it's not real.

I'm chastising Ryan for bringing that into here. It's gonna get passed around for WEEKS, especially if OT gets a hole of it.

Remember the "WB execs think this movie might be too smart for general audiences" disaster? People STILL believe that, and nobody was trying to fool anybody there!

Ah ok. I remember that, lol. Still, that was like an "insider" (which was sketchy to begin with) but this is pretty easily disproven.

MisterHero

But if Snyder quits, we won't get the ULTIMATE ZACK SNYDER MOVIE

Justice League 5: v Amazons v Blackest Night v Outsiders: Who Watches the Owlman?

Oooh I could picture that in my head now.

Wonder Woman :"Superman, there's a riot in the metahuman prison, we have to stop it!"
Superman : "I guess someone dropped the soap, hey-yo!"

Darkseid : " you will experience the death that is life. I will vanish you to.........Detroit!"
Batman: "NO!, not Detroit!"

yeah......

I could see flash selling that Detroit line tbh

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I watched the movie, I'll wait until the extended cut to talk more about it. The first act just flowed like shit, like it was hacked to pieces.

Now I'm not saying the extended cut is gonna make it a great movie but it'll make it a hell lot more watchable. The other stuff flowed better for me.

It's a mess, a
beautiful
mess.

Not going to lie, it did make me excited for the shared universe, for some reason, I just really like these characters and seeing them interact with each other in live action just made me giddy. So ready for Wondy's solo movie.

BadAss2961

I watched the movie, I'll wait until the extended cut to talk more about it. The first act just flowed like shit, like it was hacked to pieces.

Now I'm not saying the extended cut is gonna make it a great movie but it'll make it a hell lot more watchable. The other stuff flowed better for me.

It's a mess, a
beautiful
mess.

Not going to lie, it did make me excited for the shared universe, for some reason, I just really like these characters and seeing them interact with each other in live action just made me giddy. So ready for Wondy's solo movie.
It really feels like a better cut and an early Superman action piece away from being a masterpiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom