• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be good with 900 million-1 billion. I think that would be enough to ensure the movie universe moves forward, but causes WB to re-examine their strategy.

I think my original prediction was 1.1-1.3 with good reviews. Though honestly they could have done JW or Avenger numbers if the film had great reviews. There was a lot more interest than I thought there was.

Anth0ny

I'd be good with 900 million-1 billion. I think that would be enough to ensure the movie universe moves forward, but causes WB to re-examine their strategy.

I think my original prediction was 1.1-1.3 with good reviews. Though honestly they could have done JW or Avenger numbers if the film had great reviews. There was a lot more interest than I thought there was.

There's a fine line between the film doing bad enough for them to say "Fuck it, there's no interest in a DCCU, cancel everything that isn't Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman or Flash" and "Wow, these idiots will eat up anything we shit out. Lets just continue down this path."

I do think 900m/1b is that sweet spot for them to say "DCCU is still definitely a go, but we need to make some serious changes because those shitty reviews for the film is money left on the table."

Some measures need to be taken at this point. If they crank out another 30% RT Justice League movie, I don't know if anyone cares about a stand alone Flash or Wonder Woman, LET ALONE an Aqua Man or Cyborg.

shingi70

Banned
War had incredibly poor worldbuilding. Like, how WW suddenly became America's ambassador made no sense. Batman and GL just find Clark in an abandoned warehouse. Shazam shows up for no real reason. Hopefully JL1 won't fall into the same trap.

That's how the comic worked as well. It's not poor world building because.

-Bruce has been studying Clark and they follow the red streak to the warehouse.

-Diana is an ambassador and is on her way too meet the present when shit goes down.

-Shazam is a hero so he does his fucking job.

To say there isn't any world building is to not being paying attention at all.

witness

It should clear $900m and avoid any disaster, but it's low enough for them to look at what's going wrong. A Batman and Superman movie should be clearing $600m domestic and 1.5b WW, the level of JW and TA. Though in actuality I could total see a best case scenario, TDK like reviews, where this could have cleared $700m domestic and more like 1.8b WW. WB will be left wondering, "what could have been? How much money did we leave on the table?"

All is not lost though as there is clearly high interest, but the movie has to be a "crowd pleaser" if they want that kind of money rolling in.

PBY

Banned
It should clear $900m and avoid any disaster, but it's low enough for them to look at what's going wrong. A Batman and Superman movie should be clearing $600m domestic and 1.5b WW, the level of JW and TA. Though in actuality I could total see a best case scenario, TDK like reviews, where this could have cleared $700m domestic and more like 1.8b WW. WB will be left wondering, "what could have been? How much money did we leave on the table?"

All is not lost though as there is clearly high interest, but the movie has to be a "crowd pleaser" if they want that kind of money rolling in.

I don't think it has to be a "safe" "crowd pleaser" either, i think it just has to be good. The user reviews on this movie keep dropping, itll be in the 60s soon on RT. They just need to make a great movie and not worry about making it have broad appeal.

Thought I'd pop into the BO thread because I'd remembered hearing that the weekday legs were surprisingly good and I was wondering where the "massive drop" stuff was coming from...

It's the new RT thread, lol.

Atomic Odin

Saw it for a third time today, now finally in glorious IMAX 3D. This movie is visually so staggering I just don't have enough words. The MoS scenes from Bruce's pov looked especially glorious. And I was really surprised at the turnout on an afternoon weekday show.

Can I just say though, in the knightmare sequence I so wanted Superman to scream "FOR DARKSEID"
before he runs his hand through Bruce's gut

The director cut really cannot come soon enough for me.

For all the "trailer ruined BvS"... Deadpool shot it's wad with it's trailer far worse. Gave away about 80% of the joke material along with the thin plot. Also, I felt Force Awakens was easier to piece together than BvS from the trailers.

I don't disagree. I'll say, I avoided TFA info while actively following BvS and thought BvS had more surprises. That's not to speak of the quality. I prefer TFA.

BadAss2961

Saw it for a third time today, now finally in glorious IMAX 3D. This movie is visually so staggering I just don't have enough words. The MoS scenes from Bruce's pov looked especially glorious. And I was really surprised at the turnout on an afternoon weekday show.

Can I just say though, in the knightmare sequence I so wanted Superman to scream "FOR DARKSEID"
before he runs his hand through Bruce's gut

The director cut really cannot come soon enough for me.
How was the 3D anyway?

I saw it in Dolby Cinema and was pretty blown away by the picture and sound. Seems like a good alternative to IMAX, and the go to option if you only have LIEMAX's around.

jmood88

Thought I'd pop into the BO thread because I'd remembered hearing that the weekday legs were surprisingly good and I was wondering where the "massive drop" stuff was coming from...

It's the new RT thread, lol.
If you got your news from the DC OT, then I understand why you'd be optimistic about the box office.

Raptor

War had incredibly poor worldbuilding. Like, how WW suddenly became America's ambassador made no sense. Batman and GL just find Clark in an abandoned warehouse. Shazam shows up for no real reason. Hopefully JL1 won't fall into the same trap.

I disagree, WW was going to meet the president to discuss stuff., Batman had been tracking supes with that tracking satellital device, and Billy doesnt appeared out of nowhere he was minding his own bussiness when a Parademon appeared destroying shit, is all there on the movie.

jackdoe

If people were upset about the way Superman was characterized in Man of Steel and Batman v Superman (who is for all intents and purposes a good guy), they'd be absolutely rabid if the Superman from Justice League War (and Geoff Johns' first Justice League arc) was the template they'd used for the movies. That dude is a complete asshole.

a916

I don't think it has to be a "safe" "crowd pleaser" either, i think it just has to be good. The user reviews on this movie keep dropping, itll be in the 60s soon on RT. They just need to make a great movie and not worry about making it have broad appeal.

Agreed.

The Dark Knight trilogy had a dark tone, didn't stop it from having it's last two films cross a billion. That said, JL should have a mature and serious vibe, but not dark and somber... similar to the JL animated series.

A few things they need to keep in check, that's budget. There's no reason these things need to balloon out to 300+ million to make these things turning into a profit that much more difficult.

I don't disagree. I'll say, I avoided TFA info while actively following BvS and thought BvS had more surprises. That's not to speak of the quality. I prefer TFA.

Agreed on both accounts.

If people were upset about the way Superman was characterized in Man of Steel and Batman v Superman (who is for all intents and purposes a good guy), they'd be absolutely rabid if the Superman from Justice League War (and Geoff Johns' first Justice League arc) was the template they'd used for the movies. That dude is a complete asshole.

I dunno about "complete." He's a lot cockier than usual, though.

People have weird expectations for superheroes, or at least the big DC names. It's kind of all or nothing, either you're a saint or you're a complete dick. Sort of like why a lot of the popular image of Batman is "he's obviously crazy, right" even though he's generally not really presented that way in the comics.

Raptor

I love Superman in War, he doesnt take shit from nobody lol.

jackdoe

I dunno about "complete." He's a lot cockier than usual, though.

People have weird expectations for superheroes, or at least the big DC names. It's kind of all or nothing, either you're a saint or you're a complete dick. Sort of like why a lot of the popular image of Batman is "he's obviously crazy, right" even though he's generally not really presented that way in the comics.
Grant Morrison's Superman in Action Comics was cocky. Geoff Johns Superman was a douche bag who attacked Green Lantern and Batman on sight.

a916

Daniel Alter thinks every Marvel movie under the sun is making 1.5B worldwide (nah son...) with Civil War ringing the bell at around 1.7-1.8.

More importantly thinks Thor 3 out grosses Justice League Part 1. That's a head to head, for DC at least, would be devastating to lose. Thor/Hulk should NOT beat out your big event team up.

Thinks Thor hits 1.5 while Justice League hits 850-900M. Rob Liefield laughed it off and told him he had it the other way around lol.

BadAss2961

kiSd2NLc.jpg

So the marketing campaign for Suicide Squad is going to lean heavily on Joker I bet... #JokerWasHere
It's trending.

Firemind

To say there isn't any world building is to not being paying attention at all.
Have we been watching the same movie? They were just... there. Darkseid was just there. All conveniently in one place. Darkseid didn't even have a plan. It was dumb. Not appropriate for a live action film at all.

That superman sucks ass. As do the new 52 animated movies tbh

Still I enjoyed the throne of Atlantis trade

Have we been watching the same movie? They were just... there. Darkseid was just there. All conveniently in one place. Darkseid didn't even have a plan. It was dumb. Not appropriate for a live action film at all.

^^

this. even in Origins, Darkseid was there looking for Grail then it felt like it got dropped for like 35 issues till Darkseid War.

Atomic Odin

How was the 3D anyway?

I saw it in Dolby Cinema and was pretty blown away by the picture and sound. Seems like a good alternative to IMAX, and the go to option if you only have LIEMAX's around.

It was great, had to travel some 100 kms or so but it was worth it. Infinitely better than the regular 3D show that I went to on my very first viewing.

Never been to a Dolby cinema though, was it an atmos you went to? I'm planning to go to one with a couple of friends on the weekend who somehow haven't seen the movie yet.

He just wants to kill them, no motive or anything.

" Now what?"

"NOW YOU DIE"

pfft...

BadAss2961

It was great, had to travel some 100 kms or so but it was worth it. Infinitely better than the regular 3D show that I went to on my very first viewing.

Never been to a Dolby cinema though, was it an atmos you went to? I'm planning to go to one with a couple of friends on the weekend who somehow haven't seen the movie yet.
AMC Prime. It had the atmos tech, rumbling leather recliner seats and all.

Daniel Alter thinks every Marvel movie under the sun is making 1.5B worldwide (nah son...) with Civil War ringing the bell at around 1.7-1.8.

More importantly thinks Thor 3 out grosses Justice League Part 1. That's a head to head, for DC at least, would be devastating to lose. Thor/Hulk should NOT beat out your big event team up.

Thinks Thor hits 1.5 while Justice League hits 850-900M. Rob Liefield laughed it off and told him he had it the other way around lol.

Thor will be lucky if it breaks 800 million. JL is a question mark, depends on how WW does imo, DCEU needs some good will badly.

eh i can see it matching or beating deadpool if the trailers stay the way they are.

it's the most likely out of all the future comic movies to capture that deapool market.

a916

I can already predict the comments on how Suicide Squad failed because it didn't beat Deadpool.

Sounds like the same comments we're getting for "Oh so-so tentpole move didn't beat Force Awakens? Fail roflcopter"

Unfortunately, we are going to see them.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Damn, look at her arms in some of those pics. They are perfect

Been watching JL animated series and it finally came to show Steve Trevor, really liked his chemistry with Wondy. It's going to be an Agent Carter kind of thing isnt it, where he's all old in the present day and she still lives him etc
She probably meets his grandson in the present day parts of the movie.

jackdoe

Why some of you still want the mr goody two shoes Superman of 5 decades ago beats me.
There's a right way to do a cool Superman and a wrong way. Grant Morrison's Action Comics Superman was the right way. Doesn't take shit from anyone, rights social injustices both big and small (like throwing an abusive husband through a wall or running at escape velocity to go into outer space to fight an alien threat), and an all around bad ass. This is pretty close to the Superman we got in Man of Steel and Batman v Superman.

The Superman in Geoff Johns' first Justice League arc (and Justice League War) was just an asshole, to the point that he felt like he came from Mark Millar's Ultimates series.

Raptor

There's a right way to do a cool Superman and a wrong way. Grant Morrison's Action Comics Superman was the right way. Doesn't take shit from anyone, rights social injustices both big and small (like throwing an abusive husband through a wall or running at escape velocity to go into outer space to fight an alien threat), and an all around bad ass. This is pretty close to the Superman we got in Man of Steel and Batman v Superman.

The Superman in Geoff Johns' first Justice League arc (and Justice League War) was just an asshole, to the point that he felt like he came from Mark Millar's Ultimates series.

Grant Morrison, need to read that, is not a movie or animated right?

Raptor

Unfortunately not. It's the new 52 Action Comics run, issues 1-18.

Thank you, will get into that asap.

I think I read the first issue, this is teh one that came attached to the regular Nu52 Superman?

Is the one that holds a gangster from a tall building or something?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I watched the Flash/Supergirl crossover yesterday. Probably the worst of the TV universe crossovers, made me not want to watch Supergirl ever.

The Arrow/Flash crossover work because of the contrast with super optimistic Flash and the realist, pessimist Oliver Queen. They play well off each other, also the crews in each show.

Diggle's reaction to seeing Flash for the first time was awesome. Flash and Supergirl are essentially the same, and all the jealously angles with Jimmy Olsen were terrible. Also Flash jobbed hard.

Why some of you still want the mr goody two shoes Superman of 5 decades ago beats me.

It wasn't 5 decades ago. It's not a "goody two shoes" version but a Superman who seems Superhuman and somewhat resembling the character other than in appearance. Snyder said Superman was world-weary and defeatist because he got negative connotations to all his actions, like he couldn't save anyone without someone trying to put a negative spin on it or slam him. So he gives up. It's not Superman. At all.

But yeah, All Star Superman contains the quintessential Superman scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom