• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanee

Oh come on, you have to admit the climax of a 150 million dollar superhero film being Chris Pratt dancing in some dude's face is hilariously ridiculous

I love the movie up until that point and then the whole hold hands to win with the power of friendship stuff is just blaaaaah.

Hell yeah. Finally someone who understands. There's a wealth of content in Image properties that's prime-rib for adaptations. Some of the best written comics.
I got into comics last year, mainly because of Fraction's Hawkeye, but I was totally blown away by Image's stuff. It was like "oh, this is where all the interesting sci-fi and horror stories have been hiding".

Nothing wrong with jokes are in appropriate context. I like the dance off in GotG. It's, awkward when you have sudden shifts that undercut whatever emotion are trying to resonate. I'll use a MoS example to avoid being misinterpreted as a Marvel slight. Zod and Superman battle, played as this epic street brawl on a massive scale, and Superman is knocked into a days since accident and resets it to zero. Took me out of it to see a Looney Toons gag. Is it a nitpick? Probably. Only speaking for myself.

*pokes head back into topic*
So you guys coo, or what

We're about to burn Faraci in effigy but other than that yeah

True. The only major joke is the villain in MCU movies.

OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH

https://twitter.com/ReevzFX/status/715602887724834816

So much for bringin more jokes in. Faraci is the only joke.

Yuuuup

Oh come on, you have to admit the climax of a 150 million dollar superhero film being Chris Pratt dancing in some dude's face is hilariously ridiculous

I can appreciate it in a meta sense for sure.

@GiteshPandya

Damn, TFA did absolute garbage in China.

The Starlord dance was great though. I kind of like that DC movies are totally different though.

I'd honestly be pissed if any of the dc movies ended like that. It turned Guardians from a great film to a 2/3rds great one for me.

IconGrist

The Starlord dance followed by the Power of Friendship finish to the villain killed the ending of GotG for me. Really liked everything up until that point.

Raptor

Nothing wrong with jokes are in appropriate context. I like the dance off in GotG. It's, awkward when you have sudden shifts that undercut whatever emotion are trying to resonate. I'll use a MoS example to avoid being misinterpreted as a Marvel slight. Zod and Superman battle, played as this epic street brawl on a massive scale, and Superman is knocked into a days since accident and resets it to zero. Took me out of it to see a Looney Toons gag. Is it a nitpick? Probably. Only speaking for myself.

That is as subtle as it comes, is when jokes are in your face that annoys me, I think only WInter Soldier doesnt do that and for that is my favorite probably apart that is a great film though, the climax of that movie was serious as it should be.

I think my gripe is with Tony, dude just never shut the fuck up with all this references and jokes and stuff, dude aliens are invading the damn world and you are joking? fuck out of here.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I got into comics last year, mainly because of Fraction's Hawkeye, but I was totally blown away by Image's stuff. It was like "oh, this is where all the interesting sci-fi and horror stories have been hiding".

Yes! Cannot get enough of Image. That reminds me, I had to make a mega thread of sci-fi/horror/fantasy comic recommendations. Gonna get to it.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
You guys laugh, but WB is so reactionary and obsessed with what Marvel is doing.....

JL2 ending: whole team dancing while Batman is singing to defeat Darkseid. You watch. It will be glorious. And you'll like it. But it will be dark. So it's a sad dance. And a sad song. Probably My Immortal or something like that.

IconGrist

I love Image. A friend of mine introduced me to a couple of series they were running and now I just randomly grab shit from their line without even checking to see what it's about.

Ashhong

Have you guys seen the new commercial for Civil War? Black widow jokes to hawkeye in the middle of fighting when she's pinned to the ground

Image is okay.

You guys laugh, but WB is so reactionary and obsessed with what Marvel is doing.....

JL2 ending: whole team dancing while Batman is singing to defeat Darkseid. You watch. It will be glorious. And you'll like it. But it will be dark. So it's a sad dance. And a sad song. Probably My Immortal or something like that.

Naw, they'll just do a Final Crisis thing, Superman sings the note that heals the universe.

a916

I dont think so.

Jokes ruined IM3 for me, even in the damn climax of the movie, when Im all pumped for good ol action they make a gag, you know the part where all the suit parts come crashing in front of the villian, in Guardians Starlord starts to dance, what the fuck I mean.

I think there are more examples of that, Avengers is full of them too.

I hate that, not even Deadpool did that and that movie is all about jokes and shit.

So terrible... how on Earth that's even considered in the top 5 of any comic book movie I'll never know. What a dumb insulting ending to a movie. To me that's Marvel double downing on the fact that yeah, our villains are poorly thought out and we don't care, watch this dance. That movie completely fell apart to me the second that happened.

BadAss2961

I'd never recover from such fuckery.

Only Marvel can get away with the buffoonery.

Raptor

My immortal, lmao!

You read Saga right? You better have read Saga.

Best comic I've ever read, hands down.

And if you haven't already, read Low. It's absolutely fantastic.

Firemind

I really hope Snyder gets Flash right. The way he moves in the animated universe is so... pedestrian. He's supposed to be able to travel at the speed of light! He's also kind of boring as a character.

I really hope Snyder gets Flash right. The way he moves in the animated universe is so... pedestrian. He's supposed to be able to travel at the speed of light! He's also kind of boring as a character.

It's early (really early), but I like how the cameo scene worked. He just... moves. Stuff happens, all at once.

It was nice.

You're gonna get the crap beat out of you for that last bit tho

Raptor

I think he is really funny and likable as a character in what I have seen of him, he is also very charming.

What you find boring about him?

MisterHero

Yup.

The worst part was the space battle which was kind of pointless.

Nah

I was kinda jealous when the Nova Corps went into action. They made a giant shield like Green Lanterns do sometimes

That would piss me off to no end. That's Superman's move.

And he will sing SAAAAAAAAAVEE MEEEEEE

Firemind

It's early (really early), but I like how the cameo scene worked. He just... moves. Stuff happens, all at once.

It was nice.

I think he is really funny and likable as a character in what I have seen of him, he is also very charming.

What you find boring about him?
I meant his animated persona. I can't remember anything he did that was of importance and in Flashpoint he was kind of mopey pretty much all the time.

Yes :)

I don't remember it in Throne of Atlantis or maybe it wasnt as obvious as in this one.
Can't think of it either, but I know almost all the Batman movies use it for vehicles and its looked weird going back to Subzero.
Even Teen Titans vs Justice League has it for the literal 2 second scene of the Batwing.

Boke1879

It was nice.

Yea I will say did love how Flash "moved" in that scene. Everything seemed to be in flux and he wasn't sure if he was even if the right time.

Bleepey

Don't forget Vertigo. Shit like Fables is where it's at.

ryan299

Weekend preview from Box Office Mojo

This weekend offers up a big test for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. The film was roundly dismissed by critics and yet it became the first film to gross over $150 million in its opening weekend with a RottenTomatoes score below 63%. Additionally, it became the only film to gross over $150 million with a CinemaScore below a "B+" and yet, online ticket seller Fandango.com reports it's seeing strong, repeat ticket purchases, 30% higher than a typical blockbuster. Does this tell us anything about what to expect from its second weekend?

While 46% is way too low and 72% seems far too high, a range of 58-68% seems a safe bet (and don't forget about the $27.7m in Thursday previews that inflated the film's opening) for a second weekend anywhere from $53-69.7 million.

More at the link.

Just a bit of lashing out at the highest rated superhero film of late, it's all good.

By the way, did I remember incorrectly or have we had confirmation that Wonder Woman wont be so humourless?

I don't think so, no. The "funny" movie was always going to be Squad, and JL is confirmed to be lighter than BvS, but I don't think we've actually gotten a word on the tone of WW. I'd imagine lighter, it's a bit of a fish out of water thing, but it's also a WWI movie, so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom